Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 26-December-2008, 20:42
Screamager

Default COMODO Internet Security - free

Seems OK - but does anybody know anything about it? Complete Firewall / Antivirus solution for free, apparantly...

http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.c..._firewall.html
Old 27-December-2008, 16:36
Screamager

Default Re: COMODO Internet Security - free

I've been using their firewall for some time now, easy to set up and have had no problems at all with it.

K9
Old 29-January-2009, 16:19
Holmse

I use it, because it's free and easy to handle. But, in fact, it misses malware sometimes. So i would reccomend to perform a regular on-demand scan with malwarebytes or something like that.
Old 15-December-2013, 21:35
Formerly exstreamuser

This has really come on leaps and bounds these last couple of years. I use it and have done for a while. I like and want full control over things and CIS allows me to do this. Initially, I just used their firewall and now use the suite. I have not one bit of trouble!

The changes relate more to the GUI. I would now recommend this to a less experienced user as it will work out of the box just fine for them. It is nice and light and does not hog resources. If you are careful with how you set it, you can also keep your bandwidth to a minimum by only checking for updates prior to a scan and that scan could be timed to a period where you have a free bandwidth allowance, depending on your ISP.

It is certainly worth trying. It is a good product from a very reputable company.
Old 22-December-2013, 14:29
Trance Addict

I haven't used it for years, but am tempted to try it again as MS Security Essentials has really gone down hill recently.
Old 22-December-2013, 17:11
Formerly exstreamuser

It's still the same as it was Behemoth but the "advanced" controls are tucked a little further away. In a sense, this is good for the less experienced and it is fine for the more experienced but it does mean you have to jump a few more hoops to find the part that you want.

I've always regarded MSE as being a more "after the fact" type of thing, in that it may well clean up something after it has happened but it is not great at catching zero day stuff. Once your private data has shipped-off, this seems kind of pointless. In its favour, it is light and works reasonably well. I've recommended it as a temporary stop-gap to people having other issues, with the emphasis on temporary.
Old 23-December-2013, 13:29
Trance Addict

MSE went out the window yesterday and Comodo was installed in it's place.

Have to say the install was very slick and didn't need me to do very much. Seems to have integrated in well and doesn't appear to hog system ram (I do have 8 gig to spare though lol) like some of the paid for ones do, Norton being the biggest memory grabber I've ever used.
Old 23-December-2013, 13:58
Formerly exstreamuser

I've been using it for a number of years now after ZASS let me down very badly. I have never suffered once since!

It is very light and I use it on multiple machines with RAM right down to 512MB and it barely affects performance.

Norton is Norton. It got better and then worse again. The new look CIS has something of a Norton look to it, don't you think? This is probably more a coincidence though as Comodo have obviously tried to make their products easier for the less experienced.

My tips would be to turn off all updates you can find and then tell it to automatically update the virus database before scanning. I have mine set to scan at 1AM and it downloads the update at that time and the daily scan follows it. I see no real need to constantly poll for updates, if a scan is not being run. This gives you a few more resources and a touch extra bandwidth to play with.
Old 23-December-2013, 15:27
Trance Addict

Unlimited bandwidth, so not an issue, but I do agree may set mine like that also. My PC isn't on 24/7 like it used to be, maybe a few hours of a weekend on a Sunday afternoon when I'm blatting a Ferarri F40 round Imola for instance
Old 23-December-2013, 15:44
Formerly exstreamuser

Can't get much better security than the off button! LOL
Old 24-December-2013, 12:50
Trance Addict

Thats true Also with energy prices like they are I only run my main PC when I want to do something that needs the grunt it has.

For just general surf and turf I'll be using my laptop, which is more than fast enough with it's Core i3 and 4 Gigs of RAM for general use. Which reminds me I need to stick Comodo on that too

Tags
company, free, internet, isp, laptop, make, poll, product, security, virus, zero