Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Games

Old 05-November-2007, 03:13
Screamager

Default Valve's Blocks Orange Box Users

Apparently Americans have been buying the orange box from Thailand!
And I thought buying it in dollars off steam was cheap )

GAME MAKER Valve is miffing its customers by bricking " Orange Box" games because they have not been bought from an authorised US dealer.

Even though it never told the customer that they had to buy American, Steam is fuming that US customers have been going to foreign shores to buy its Orange Box selection.

It has suddenly regionalised its software so that only games bought in the US can be played on US machines. It is refusing to activate the games online and has switched off those games that were already using the software.

The move has infuriated many bargain hunting gamers who say that they bought the game legitimately online via well known international game stores.

According to Consumerist magazine, Valve did not warn gamers that it was going to do it either. It has also shut down a thread on www.valve.com in a bid to stop its customers talking about it.

While many gamers have managed to get their money back from the vendors from whom they bought their games from, a glich in Valve's software means that even if they buy from a US shop they still cannot run the game.

Apparently Valve's software thinks they have already have a game running and will not allow them to activate a new one.

Consumerist says that customers who try to contact Valve about the problem are ignored. Clearly the company thinks they should have bought American in the first place and are not to be given any help.

It is handy for Valve, it makes money by selling software and refusing to let it work on punter's machines. Of course it will probably get away with it right up until the day of the first class action.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-bricked-valve
Old 05-November-2007, 06:15

Default Re: Valve's Blocks Orange Box Users

Saw a report somewhere (sorry, can't recall where it was) that a lot of the bans had been lifted.

Incidentally: Portal is now my favourite game of all time. Absolutely brilliant, and if the song that plays over the credits doesn't have you rolling on the floor - you have no soul.

*edit* I was slightly wrong there: seems the people who have been unbanned have bought a legal version of the Orange Box - http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/49656

Last edited by bouncingjohn; 05-November-2007 at 06:24.
Old 05-November-2007, 11:52
Screamager

I agree Portal is a brilliant game!

If you're hungry for more portal maps, here is a site to get some:- www.portalmaps.net/
Old 06-November-2007, 02:35
Screamager

Bouncingjohn, there is a place where you can download the songs from portal:- http://www.myspace.com/portalsong
Old 06-November-2007, 08:49

Even better: if you download a utility called GCFScape you can use it to open the game files and extract the content to your hard drive (similar to using Winrar or Winzip) all of the soundfiles are in there (in "portal english.gcf" and "portal content.gcf"). I currently have the voice of the turrets saying "Hello" and "Shutting Down" set as my Windows sounds for... well, you can guess (and yes, I'm very sad).
Old 07-November-2007, 10:54
Screamager

Excellent, I'll try this tonight!

You could have the turrets saying 'Thats ok, I don't hate you' as the error sound, instead of the windows default- sudden, loud 'orchestral hit' that makes me jump out of my seat

Tags
company, files, international, line, online, orange, shop, software, sound, windows