Old 25-December-2013, 22:27
Screamager

Default 2013 recommendations

I would like to share software that I have found to be very useful this year:

Xlite FTP server
Mongoose tiny web server

Both of these are free for home use and run without being installed. Just thought I would 'big them up' as a thank you to the developers.
Old 25-December-2013, 23:22
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Re: 2013 recommendations

Care to elaborate on why? What advantage does Mongoose offer over WAMP or LAMP? Why would an FTP server be used these days?
Old 26-December-2013, 12:45
Screamager

Care to elaborate on why? What advantage does Mongoose offer over WAMP or LAMP? Why would an FTP server be used these days?
Originally Posted by exstreamuser View Post
The key is simplicity. You can download and run these without installing and with no expertise. They just work - up and running in 5 minutes. Great to test or host a (basic) home or club website from your own PC.

I mostly use them in an isolated LAN in a classroom environment. Ideal for distributing and displaying resources (and collecting student work). (FileZilla needs a mention here too). It's so easy with Xlite to set up users and groups, and set their permissions. I did actually purchase the standard licence because there are often more than 5 concurrent users connected.

I have installed LAMP on Ubuntu to experiment with MySQL, but think that having to mess with file permissions and edit config files will be too much for casual users.
Old 26-December-2013, 15:15
Formerly exstreamuser

So basically Mongoose serves basic HTML pages but is that not very limiting, when today's Internet is mostly dynamic content?

FileZilla is great and I use it myself. However, FileZilla is a Linux based program and is more secure on Linux than Windows. If Usernames and Passwords are stored in FileZilla, they are kept unencrypted in an XML file called sitemanager.xml, which on Windows is stored in your Application Data. This can clearly be read by a hacker or malicious software and is in fact on the list of some of the places they look. On Linux however, file permissions do not allow this to happen. This is simply worked around by not storing username and password on a Windows machine.

FileZilla will also work as an SFTP client, which is great as it adds a bit of a GUI onto SSH.

EasyPHP is an easily set up home server for Windows, allowing dynamic content to be worked with and served. If your site runs WordPress, Joomla, vBulletin, phpBB or whatever and you need a Windows test environment, this makes it very easy.

My personal dislike is that it does tend to package the most recent versions together and this is not always desirable. Later versions of phpMyAdmin make heavy use of AJAX and sometimes this may be convenient but most of the time I find not. IMHO, this is less of a working environment and more of a toy. I do like my GUI tools because I can see things and do things much quicker and better but the newer PMA tends to hide things away a bit and assume you want default this, that or the other. It is still a great tool though!

Returning though, you may be right that some things are better for casual users. Jumping into things without understanding the basics can result in security risks. Making some of these harder to install may not be that bad a thing.
Old 30-December-2013, 19:12
Trance Addict

I started a thread like this a while ago - http://www.the-scream.com/forums/t29534.html

Might be worth seeing if one of the mod team can make it a sticky thread so it stays on the top.

Tags
bad, files, free, goose, hacker, home, internet, key, make, minutes, offer, security, share, software, tools, web, windows