Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 11-October-2006, 13:15
GeePee

Default Re: talktalk

I supervised a class of kids designing web pages in using Publisher once. At the end I showed the kids my handcrafted web page showing how the html was laid out and readable.

Then I showed them what Publisher's HTML looked like....They had a bit of shock!
Originally Posted by speedtouchguru View Post
I can understand that!

I sent my Hyperlink problem to a computer designer friend in Croatia - his prompt reply was that he could not help as he did not understand the Publisher HTML. I have two choices now, first to rewrite the whole site using Front Page or tackle the hyperlink problem by deleting the links created with the Wizard and writing by hand in HTML. Think I'll give the latter a go first.
Old 11-October-2006, 15:02
Zer02004

Please don't use Front Page unless you want a far bigger headache than the one you have now!
Old 11-October-2006, 15:24
GeePee

Please don't use Front Page unless you want a far bigger headache than the one you have now!
Originally Posted by Zer02004 View Post
I was thinking of going back to the Abbacus! I have had a look at Nvu..is that easier. I thought I knew computers until I got involved with this web site..
Old 11-October-2006, 18:15
Zer02004

It's not that Front Page is easier or more difficult than any other authoring program but it uses proprietary extensions that most free web space providers won't cater for. Also, the code that FP produces is little more than massively bloated hieroglyphics.

The CoffeeCup editor used to be very good indeed but I haven't seen the older free versions for a while
Old 12-October-2006, 17:34
GeePee

Thanks Zer02004 - I have never been so frustrated as when trying to use Publisher. The latest is that I have been given some good advice by a web designer on the MS website but now each time I try to upload the site, which now works fine on my PC, the Home (Index) page disappears somewhere - I've done a search on my PC for it and it has just gone - grrr!

I've looked at Racoon's web page - some great pictures and a link to a free web builder called 'Ewisoft' - never heard of it but might have a look at it.
Old 12-October-2006, 17:59
GeePee

Hi GeePee,
as I understand it, your friend has an account with talktalk. If you are typing into the address bar for your friends site ftp://www.friendssitename.talktalk.net
then his password you should open his ftp site and from there upload his site just using the internet explorer uploader.
I was trying to use "coreftp" and "ewisoft" but in the end uploaded it using IE. Hope this helps you
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
Had a look at your web site. Did you use ewisoft to write it? Was it easy, apart from the uploading which you mentioned?
Liked the pictures on your site - know some of them well as I come up to Durham in September annually.

Noticed the long URL on your links page. You could use this coding to make the word 'here' appear in red instead of the long link. The snippet needs a [ (square bracket) at the beginning and a closing bracket ] at the end to make it work.Also a [ before the word color and after the word red ]
I've not put them in otherwise you would not be able to read it!

url=http://www.bbc.co.uk]color=redhere[/color][/url

But this is how it would look;here - Just substitute www.bbc.co.uk with the URL of any site you want to link to.
GeePee
Old 12-October-2006, 23:36
raccoon

I will give it a try geepee. Yes I used ewisoft to write the site. It is easy when you go through it. The support is good aswell. Although forum based the replys are always fast and informative. I only have a problem uploading to the talktalk site. When I was with v21 ewisoft did the uploading no problem. I have lots of pictures from around the area. Just got to get more time to fit them in. Thanks for the input.
By the way ewisoft is free but they also have a pay one but I think it has more templates and added things. Hope you have a good time up here in "the land of the prince bishops".
Old 22-October-2006, 19:43
STRESSED

Please Help I Have Managed To Create A Website Using Dreamweaver,i Can Upload It To The Web Using Dreamweaver Or Core Ftp,all The Files Up Load Ok But When I Go To The Site All I Get Is A List Of Files As Follows

Parent Directory ( Top Of List )

Index.html
Page1.html
Page2.html
Play.jpeg

I Have Read So Much That My Head Is Spinning Pleeeeeeease Help

Regards

Stressed
Old 22-October-2006, 19:47

Dont use Capitals.

index.html or index.htm not Index.html or Index.htm
Old 22-October-2006, 19:50
STRESSED

Thank you so much have altered it and it worked.I have been scratching my head for absolutely ages i cannot thank you enough

regards

stressed
Old 28-October-2006, 19:32
raccoon

Well I have just gave talktalk £2. I gave them this of my own free will. I knew when I phoned them I would not get any help or sense from the tech dept. I knew I had the money in the bank to pay them.
WHY oh WHY do i do this to myself and wife. I know that no help will be forthcoming from them. I know i will be close to swearing at the person at the other end. I know i will turn to drink after being on the phone to them. I know I will either fix it mself or turn to this forum for help. OH WHY OH WHY do I do this.
Whats up then raccoon I can hear you saying.........well the broadband service was down this afternoon. All I got from them was they new nothing about routers. I did not want to know anything about them. It is working ok.
I changed my filter, I checked connections, I rebooted computer and router but still nothing. Anyway the girl said that their engineers were changing the wires over in the exchange and the system is now tempremental. WOW, great thats what we want isnt it.
Anyway, five minutes after being on the phone to them the net was back on. I find it strange this happened because a few weeks ago exactly the same happened. So anyone who wants to go to talktalk for the broadband connection, please read this.
I am in no way telling anyone not to go with them, I am just making people aware of the problems I am having.
Old 28-October-2006, 20:26
TalkTalkBoy

If you are on the LLU service then there is a problem during the evenings wherby a few customers are unable to connect to the service. Talktalk are looking into this as a priority.
Old 02-November-2006, 00:17
The Dynamo

Thanks to all concerned, now I've finally got my pages uploaded.....After a bit of a struggle it now seems pretty easy (I suppose everything seems easy once you know the answer). Well here is the answer: Go to http://bbdashboard.talktalk.net log in with your given user name i.e. phonenumber@talktalk.net enter a name for your web i.e. myweb then enter a password (doesn't have to be the same as the one given by talktalk (as long as you remember it). Now download an FTP program (I used Core FTP) but any should do. In Host enter: www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net. In user name enter: theusernameyouchose@talktalk.net.

Click connect and you should be on. To acces your web pages online it will be: http://www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net/yourpage (i.e. index.html)
Originally Posted by The_Bear View Post
I would just like to say thanks for the info.....I have just successfully uploaded my website to my talktalk web space after many previous unsuccessful attempts
Old 29-December-2006, 11:50
none

Smile Re: talktalk

Hi all, the settings givewn at the end of this thread worked for me...

I.E.

host www.whatever.talktalk.net

and user name as whatever@talktalk.net and the password given atthe broadband admin site.

OMG! Why talktalk do not give these details on the site is beyond me, but going on my experience with them so far its gross stupidity rather than deceit...

I have been with them for about 5 months and yes i agree with others, they suck at support, the website is gerbil powered, my email goes dead very a lot (3/4 time a week for a few hours at a time) and trying to get a straight answer is near impossible... sadly however, they are cheap and i must say i have never had a beak in my internet service.

anyway, the ftp info is correct thanks guys and girls...
Old 03-February-2007, 18:21
The Dynamo

I would just like to say thanks for the info.....I have just successfully uploaded my website to my talktalk web space after many previous unsuccessful attempts
Originally Posted by The Dynamo View Post
Success at last, after having transferred my website from Freeserve it was eventually deleted from Google.

As from today it has now been restored to the top spot on Google with my TalkTalk domain name and all the links.

That is the icing on the cake
Old 07-March-2007, 01:04
Thrum

Hi guys, ok, i have read and used all the advice in this thread, but i still cant log onto my talk talk webspace. I dont think i am doing anything wrong, and i am reasonably experianced at setting up websites etc.

Ok, so i logged onto my talktalk account dashboard, and created a new talktalk webspace domain name and password. I then opened up my FTP client, (i tried two different ones btw), typed in the www.myusername@talktalk.net for the FTP address, and myusername@talktalk.net for my username. and then my password.

Then, my ftp says the ftp address is not responding. and the other ftp client i tried, it says there is an error after failing to log on.

Does anyone know what the problem is here, and could help me?

i thought maybe it might be because my username is a long 14 letter name, but surely its not that?

any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont fancy calling their tech support,

Thrum
Old 07-March-2007, 20:01
Thrum

fixed the problem. i think i may have been partly to blame, but also talk talk may have been also? I was mistaknly putting a @ instead of a . in the ftp address. ( But im sure i tried a . as well, but cant be totally sure?)

anyway, i was on the phone to talktalk for 30 minutes today, trying to fix the issue. I wasent letting her go, even though when i did, it still wasent working. But even when i deleted and created a new website name and password, they still had an old password saved on there system, so no wonder things wereent working. anyway, they deleted the user name and password for me, and created a new one. And only after then, after more trial and error, i finally managed to log in und used the webspace for my website. ( but i later tried deleting the username and password again, and creating a new one myself, but then it seemed to work ok that time).

Thanks to all the advice on how to do it on this forum i managed to get it to work. Talktalk themselfs unashamadly told me that they had no training or idea on how to access the webspace that they provide. So how is anyone meant to be able to access it, i told her?

Its obvious talktalk dont want there customers to use the webspace given in there contracts, or there would be a section on there website telling you what the ftp address and username needs to be.

phew, oh well, its working now. thanks everyone.

Thrum
Old 08-March-2007, 20:45
paul_1984_3

Does anyone know if php is enabled on talktalk webspace, ie is it possible to develop a php website using the websapce provided by talktalk?

Thanks
Old 12-March-2007, 17:26
bokanovsky

Hello there, as far as I am aware talktalk does not support php on their webspace. I understand they support the basic ‘frontpage’ packages, but nothing more. Hope this helps, bok
Old 15-April-2007, 02:18
Tall53

Hi The_Bear,

Just a quick thankyou for the excellent instructions you gave regarding uploading your website to TalkTalk. I followed them to the letter after struggling to contact TalkTalk for information. My site is now working perfectly, so thanks once again.

Kind regards, Don
Old 03-May-2007, 15:06
chrispart

Unhappy Re: talktalk

Well guys I have followed all the advice on this site and am getting a '530 login incorrect' when I try to login to my webspace.

I have tried using 2 ftp programs including Core Ftp and also directly through IE and Firefox and I get the same error through all methods.

I have been through the dashboard set up the account ok and the account shows up OK.

I have turned firewalls off as well.

I am using www.myname.talktalk.net as the host and myname@talktalk.net as the username and entering the password etc etc.

Have been onto talk talk for an hour and they were less use than I can mention here! Say they dont support webspace - then why offer it!!!!??

Any help or advice would be greatly received.

Thanks
Old 12-May-2007, 23:21
kingofthevegetables

Unhappy Re: talktalk

me too. Same problem. I contacted talktalk via email and they predictably just send me the instructions that I had already followed. I waited 48 hours to see if that would change things. It didn't.
Old 19-May-2007, 17:17
cjleaver

Default Re: talktalk webspace

Actually, I am having almost exactly the same problems attempting to upload pages to talktalk webspace. Basically nothing works. FTP usually gives error 550 Cant set guest privileges. Talktalk really don't have a clue.

If anyone has actually got a website to work recently, please can you tell me how you did it?
Thanks
Old 15-July-2007, 23:25
Stormtrooper_UK

I had terrible trouble trying to upload my site when using frontpage but I managed by doing this......

If you have forgotten your password* call free on 08700 875562 from your TalkTalk landline. This will be an auto message telling you your talktalk username and passcode.

using the example of a made up site called ineedthistowork (please use the name of your site here)

1 . press upload

2. in the first box enter www.ineedthistowork.talktalk.net
-do not include http:// or ftp:// just www.

3. Then in the second box write -ineedthistowork@talktalk.net

4. Then enter the password they gave you on the phone -usually letters and numbers example* = 1a2b3c4d

press enter........

loaded up for me fine.
Old 19-July-2007, 10:36
macman

Wink Re: talktalk

Hi, I have just spent about 3 hours trying to use the talktalk web space and with the help of you guys and trying various host names managed to connect!

When I setup the original host name I didn't get any message about it being taken. But when I returned to the dashboard after a nights sleep I found that my webspace did not exist, so I typed it in again only to be told it had already been taken! (possibly by me but who knows this is talktalk we are talking about).
I then tried various other host names and these were also taken.

I then used the name from the email address I had set up with talktalk the evening before and also used the password that I had been given over the auto phone service that allows you to use the dashboard. Hooray it was accepted.

I then returned to my ftp program: Transmit on the Mac.

And entered the following:
Server: www.yourname.talktalk.net
username: yourname@talktalk.net
password: the one you entered at the dashboard webspace tab
Port: 21
Protocol: FTP
Remote path: blank
local path: blank
use passive mode for data transfers (tick box)
prompt for password when connecting (do not tick box)

I hope this is helpful to anyone out there who is going mad trying to use this service.

I work as a graphic designer and use ftp everyday, but I have never come across anything as unhelpful as the talktalk webspace.

Good Luck Macman
Old 17-September-2007, 16:44
Mike10613

I looked at your website - it looks good. If you find yourself running out of space - host your images on Photobucket. I have all mine on there! Have a look at my site - it may give you a few ideas. The address should be in my signature - if I did it right!

Last edited by Memfis; 01-October-2007 at 16:54. Reason: Removal of Font Tags
Old 24-September-2007, 21:08
Yorkshire Werewolf

Same old story that a lot of you have experienced, I'm afraid - failure to connect to Broadband free webspace.

Despite repeated attempts via 2 FTP programmes (Ws FTP & Filezilla) I keep getting my password rejected. Let the record show that this is exactly the same as the password registered with the support centre.

Logic suggests that even though I have registered the webspace under a name other than my own (i.e. the missus) this should not be an issue, should it?

For the record, I'm using:

HOST: www.hername.talktalk.net
USERNAME: hername@talktalk.net
PASSWORD: ****** (as submitted via Talk Talk support centre)

And it's a no go. I'm not new to this and have checked my own work to ensure I'm not being dense and must now conclude the fault lies with Talk Talk. Or does it?

An easy target, I know, but they do invite the majority of the artillery fire that comes their way. I rue the day I ever signed up with them personally, finding it to be no better than 2 X dial-up, constant drop-outs, emails often inaccesible and occasionally lost altogether and absolutely no opportunity to experience the full gamut of what broadband purports to offer.
They're merde, and they know they are.

Anyway who can shed light beyond what's already been posted before, I'd be grateful. I do absolutely refuse to call Bangalore or wherever their "help" desk is situated.

Cheers
Old 25-September-2007, 10:04
Mike10613

Type ftp://www.hername.talktalk.net in to your browser and it should ask for the user name. That is hername@talktalk.net. Then try the password. If it asks for that information the webspace is there - but the password is corrupt on their database. If your password doesn't work make sure the case is right. I had a problem the other day - someone couldn't connect and it was as simple as typing the password all in lower case.

If the problem is the password is corrupt on the TalkTalk server. Call them and you will no doubt be put through to Bangalore! Ask them for the number of second line technical support in the UK. You need technical support. There is also a 2nd line support for broadband - they are the ones to call if your broadband is off or slow or you're losing your connection. I was off for 10 days - once I threatened to cancel my contract - they put me through to second line and the problem was fixed in 5 minutes. Second line technical support is good too. Technical support overseas varies - sometimes you get someone who knows what they are doing. But mostly it is a waste of money for TalkTalk - they take a week to do what a decent technican can do in 5 minutes.

I hope that helps. If you get an email from 2nd line technical support or escalations - add it to your address book for future use.

Last edited by Memfis; 01-October-2007 at 16:54.
Old 01-December-2007, 12:26
raccoon

Hi everyone and I hope you all have a merry xmass.
Just an update to my adventures with "talktalk" over the last year or so. I have stuck with them but it was against my better half's advice. Anyway Yesterday 30th November 2007 I actually got more than 1.7 meg of broadband from TT. It is now up to 3.7meg. I had no phone line for a whole day and no bb for two days while they did whatever in the exchange. So now I can surf a bit better now.
I still would not tell anyone to go with them though because the so called tech dept is still no good. Anyway dont want to slag them off unless its to their face.
MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone.
Old 02-December-2007, 01:25
Mike10613

Try this program - free down load - it took me from 2 Mbs on Talktalk to 7 Mbs. I even get 500K across the Atlantic 5,000 miles.

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to everyone if I'm not on again this month. There is worse than talktalk - my laptop connected to my neighbours router by mistake - on Virgin - I thought I was back on dial up! It costs a lot more too. I'm on Talk 3 Intenational - £20.50 a month and I can call cell phones in North america for free amongst other things like 7 Mbs broadband - and I'll call my friend in France this weekend for free.

Tags
123, broadband, christmas, collection, computer, connection, dead, email, failure, files, free, google, home, internet, isp, line, lost, make, offer, online, phone, port, settings, speed, talk, talk talk, talktalk, web, webspace