Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 27-March-2007, 08:40
slime

Default Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

Hmm - something doesn't sound right there. As far as I remember, with the "modified" 7G firmware (i.e. BANT-Z and the Q changed in the header) the user name is Administrator and the password is blank. When you say "I can't get in" are you getting login failed (i.e. bad password or bad user name) or is the Hub just not responding? If it is not responding, I would try and re-flash as it sounds like it didn't flash properly.
Old 27-March-2007, 08:45
slime

Ahh - hang on, I remember that I had issues - you using IE 7.0? And do you keep getting asked (challenged) by IE to provide your user name and password but whatever you type in it rejects it?

If so, somehow telnet in and issue:
system config digestauth=disabled

Then on the next IE challenge for user name/password, you should see the challenge box has changed somewhat and it actually reports that the hub is requesting that the user name and password is sent in plain text rather than a secure manner. This then worked for me.

See:
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/codepages/content.asp?c=96

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 27-March-2007, 11:06
slime

Still can't get the hub phone registered with SipGate but voipcheap is OK! Can someone post exactly what settings they entered for sipgate please? And if you are actually using the BT hub as your main router or if you using it behind another one? If so, did you have to fwd any ports to the home hub? Also, does dialing 5 on the hub phone (or another phone if you have it connected into the phone socket on the hub) revert back to standard PSTN line? When connected to voipcheap, when I dial 5, the lines goes sort of dead!

Also anybody got any ideas if you can "force" a software upgarde for the hub phone when not connected to BT or using the home hub as main router?
Old 27-March-2007, 17:11
tentonine

It should be possible to change the action of '5' (or any other number combination) can be changed under the dialing rules section of telnet (when logged in as superuser) or in the appropriate section of user.ini.
I have had no problems in changing the action of various numbers when sipgate is my VOIP provider. However, I am using my Home Hub as my main router (directly connected to BT ADSL rather) than as just a VOIP router connecting through another router.
Old 27-March-2007, 20:45
pitbullthe1st

Ahh - hang on, I remember that I had issues - you using IE 7.0? And do you keep getting asked (challenged) by IE to provide your user name and password but whatever you type in it rejects it?

If so, somehow telnet in and issue:
system config digestauth=disabled

Then on the next IE challenge for user name/password, you should see the challenge box has changed somewhat and it actually reports that the hub is requesting that the user name and password is sent in plain text rather than a secure manner. This then worked for me.

See:
http://www.speedtouch.co.uk/codepages/content.asp?c=96

Cheers,
Slime.
Originally Posted by slime View Post
thanks for your comments slime but i get the same problem with the telnet side i just cant get in (and when i say that i mean to the setings in the router)

If i reset the router i might be able to use telnet to get in but not after i have setup the logon for my ISP after that i just cant get in at all no telnet and no http. is there not a way that i can remove the config file that i have herd of in here and set it all up again or is that what happens when i press the button on the back?

So should I reset the hub, then isue the command (asuming that i CAN get in) and then setup the ISP detales or is it that if i cant get in with telnet now then it is somthing else?

thanks for your replys
Old 27-March-2007, 21:59
rexdog

hellp my computer runs fine but i'v got my 360 pluged in and it will not conect
how can i put the hub back to its factory settings . am going to give it a good kicking sooooon hellllp please
Old 27-March-2007, 22:37
slime

thanks for your comments slime but i get the same problem with the telnet side i just cant get in (and when i say that i mean to the setings in the router)

If i reset the router i might be able to use telnet to get in but not after i have setup the logon for my ISP after that i just cant get in at all no telnet and no http. is there not a way that i can remove the config file that i have herd of in here and set it all up again or is that what happens when i press the button on the back?

So should I reset the hub, then isue the command (asuming that i CAN get in) and then setup the ISP detales or is it that if i cant get in with telnet now then it is somthing else?

thanks for your replys
Originally Posted by pitbullthe1st View Post
I think I'd reset the hub back to factory settings and then re-flash and try again m8 as it all sounds a little mixed up. When re-flashed DO NOT change the password and then telent in (Administrator with no password assuming you flash back to modified 7G f/w) and issue the system config digestauth=disabled command. Then try the setup for your ISP.

hellp my computer runs fine but i'v got my 360 pluged in and it will not conect
how can i put the hub back to its factory settings . am going to give it a good kicking sooooon hellllp please
Originally Posted by rexdog View Post
There are a number of ways, but holding button on back of hub (for 20+ secs I think) seems to be the easiest. You can also do this from the web interface - I think it is under Advanced -> Continue to Advanced (you may then have to login as Admin) -> System -> reset.

This link may help - assuming your on 6.2.2.6 of BT firmware and the IP of your hub is 192.168.1.254!
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/info/rese...be=1&l0=5&l1=1
Old 02-April-2007, 17:50
Jdukey

Sorry to mention something discussed much earlier, but with the older firmwares was it possible to use skype as the VOIP provider?
Thanks
James
Old 02-April-2007, 23:23
vstar

Don't confuse Skype with VOIP.
Skype is a secret, locked down, proprietary protocol that only Skype (and companies who have paid Skype) have access to. VOIP is an open standard that anyone can access...
Old 03-April-2007, 15:11
Jdukey

Thanks for the heads up, I thought that might be the case. Worth an ask though.
James
Old 04-April-2007, 20:12
archy

you can get the firmware here, its free. but i have no idea how to unlock it,

http://www.btopenworld.com/broadband..._firmware.html
Old 05-April-2007, 17:59
slowgrind

Default Unlocking BT Home Hub

Does anyone know where to get Thomson SpeedTouch 7G new released firmware 6.2.G? Someone in the world should have bought Thomson DV7213 DECT Cordless VoIP Gateway with firmware in it's CD.
Old 06-April-2007, 12:40
TerMak

Does anyone know where to get Thomson SpeedTouch 7G new released firmware 6.2.G? Someone in the world should have bought Thomson DV7213 DECT Cordless VoIP Gateway with firmware in it's CD.
Originally Posted by slowgrind View Post
Go to this site - not in english though but you'll get what you're looking for:

http://www.speedtouchforum.de/viewtopic.php?t=1089
Old 06-April-2007, 15:26
coolhandpuke

Originally Posted by TerMak View Post
Guys read all these posts so far and must say some impressive work been carried out.

My problem is this

I have BT BB so the hub is fine as it is not worried about unlocking etc.

However I am very interested in using my Hub Phone the 1010 i believe with voipcheap or another voip provider.

Can someone please post a relatively BASIC guide for this as I think the BT VOIP is a rip off.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-April-2007, 23:26
Oxyg3n

After some time fiddling with the HomeHub and other Linux-Based Routers (well... ones that can be made linux based) it seams to me, that there could well be a backdoor into the BT HomeHub Linux area via the program BusyBox installed on it.

I dont know weather BT have edited the source code behind it (i would assume they had) but it seams that theres a shell program named "ash" on it.

It seams that once the Linux area has managed to be gotten into, you would be able to flash the NVRAM inside it, perhaps there would be some programmers in the OpenWRT Project (and others like it) would be able to crack some code.

and in regards to coolhandpuke, if you think 3/month for Free Local and National Calls (Evenings and Weekends) is a ripoff, then i think you need to rethink what you spend all your money on (btw, if you are BT BB Option 3 you get that for FREE, and you should check your BT BB emails for the information)
Old 07-April-2007, 03:14
slowgrind

Originally Posted by TerMak View Post
thanks for link, but it isnt there, i can read deutsch. All the treasures are hidden
on www.thomsontelecompartner.com which required user name and password
to access firmware.

some 7g info:
http://www.thomsontelecompartner.com...ail.php?id=127
Old 07-April-2007, 11:53
coolhandpuke

After some time fiddling with the HomeHub and other Linux-Based Routers (well... ones that can be made linux based) it seams to me, that there could well be a backdoor into the BT HomeHub Linux area via the program BusyBox installed on it.

I dont know weather BT have edited the source code behind it (i would assume they had) but it seams that theres a shell program named "ash" on it.

It seams that once the Linux area has managed to be gotten into, you would be able to flash the NVRAM inside it, perhaps there would be some programmers in the OpenWRT Project (and others like it) would be able to crack some code.

and in regards to coolhandpuke, if you think 3/month for Free Local and National Calls (Evenings and Weekends) is a ripoff, then i think you need to rethink what you spend all your money on (btw, if you are BT BB Option 3 you get that for FREE, and you should check your BT BB emails for the information)
Originally Posted by Oxyg3n View Post
Ok well when I say RIP off i mean that yes ok evening and W/E calls are free but the calls to mobiles which lets be honest are what most of the cost of bills are are still very hi.

and also day time calls too

with VOIPCHEAP u get free calls no matter what time of day and the calls to mobiles are like 1 p per min and calculating my mobile calls by the time used it works out to 11pence BIG difference.

So IN answer to my question is it possible to unlockt the BT HUB PHONE and use it with another provider i.e. VOIPCHEAP

thanks for the reply bud but NOT really helpful.
Old 07-April-2007, 20:55
tentonine

Look here for a guide using older versions of the firmware: http://www.homehubblog.com/using_the_hub_with_fwd/
For 6.2.2.6, you must gain superuser access (look around on this forum or look at the guide on the above website) and then edit the .ini file - fairly straightforward if you compare it to a .ini from the old version of the firmware.

I use it with sipgate simply because it allows me to make free calls to someone else who uses sipgate, no matter what time of day it is (and more importantly allows the other person to call me for free too).

The BT Broadband Voice free evening and weekends isn't really a particularly good offer. If you get your telephone through TalkTalk instead of through BT, you get that for free anyway on your landline (and there are no other hidden charges).
I just wish that BT Broadband Voice would give free calls to other Broadband Voice customers. As it doesn't, I prefer to use an alternative.
Old 08-April-2007, 12:31
AdamG

Calls are alot cheaper using BT broadband voice, 1.5p a minute to call other countries etc.. and the free calls at weekends and evenings has already saved me money. Ok so it might not be free 24/7 and to 28 countries or whatever. But it's all on 1 bill, phone, broadband & voip, 1 direct debit, no fuss, no hassle. As for using sipgate, free calls only to other sipgate users, how many people do you actually know who use it.

If your going to use another voip provider I recommend Freecall, top your account up with 10 and you get an 056 number and free calls 24/7 to pretty much anywhere and any country and then you can use that 10 to call mobiles at a very cheap rate.

But BT use its own voip codec if your going to use another provider just remember it won't be HiDS.

Also sipgates proxy is in France just remember voip is like online gaming you get lag and your calls can be distorted and sometimes disconnected randomly. BTs sip proxy is in the UK and your calls are direct into a pbx not rerouted to other companys then onto a pbx.
Old 09-April-2007, 16:22
CoolHandPuke

Look here for a guide using older versions of the firmware: http://www.homehubblog.com/using_the_hub_with_fwd/
For 6.2.2.6, you must gain superuser access (look around on this forum or look at the guide on the above website) and then edit the .ini file - fairly straightforward if you compare it to a .ini from the old version of the firmware.

I use it with sipgate simply because it allows me to make free calls to someone else who uses sipgate, no matter what time of day it is (and more importantly allows the other person to call me for free too).

The BT Broadband Voice free evening and weekends isn't really a particularly good offer. If you get your telephone through TalkTalk instead of through BT, you get that for free anyway on your landline (and there are no other hidden charges).
I just wish that BT Broadband Voice would give free calls to other Broadband Voice customers. As it doesn't, I prefer to use an alternative.
Originally Posted by tentonine View Post
Ok well I did ask if someone could post BASIC method!!!

the guide linked does not have the images when u click the link therefor useless

i have 6.2.2.6 and dont know the SUPER USER hack

could someone run me through a BASIC guide please
Old 10-April-2007, 01:37
Anth

Anyone thought of getting a copy of user.ini , And posting the alterations you need to do for certain things , such as voip , and other isps.

I would do this , i just dont know the answers

This would be a great idea if we just had like a thread of user.ini modifications

just an idea =]
Old 10-April-2007, 12:24
Oxyg3n

Originally Posted by tentonine View Post

Other BT Broadband Voice user are included in the type of package you have, its included at the same rate as an 01 or 02 number, (aka. If you have just Evenings and Weekend package, you would get it free evenings and weekends, if you pay for the anytime package, its free anytime)
Old 10-April-2007, 16:11
WILT

Hi folks ,I found this thread after mistakenly buying a BT home hub on Ebay before realising that good old BT had locked the thing. DORK!!
I,m totally new routers etc having only just got comfortable with using a BT
105 via a powered 5 way USB into an Epox 8kha+. I (like most of us ) am fed up with BSOD episodes and decided to experiment with LINUX which doesn't like the 105 and routers are advised for use with these OS's,hence the purchase of the router.
I propose to try the mods outlined in this thread when it arrives but in the mean time Ive found a 3Com 900 card in my bits and pieces and stuck it in the Epox Windows has found it and declares it fit for use,but it is only 10 m/bits
QUESTION :- is it fast enough for web browsing ,at least in the first instance?
assuming I can cope with the modifying of the home hub?

Last edited by WILT; 10-April-2007 at 17:00.
Old 10-April-2007, 18:57
vstar

Well, as most ADSL provider are going *UP to* 8mb/s, your 10mb/s lan card will keep up and have 2mb/s spare...
Old 10-April-2007, 19:48
WILT

Thanks Vstar ,

I wasnt sure of there being a direct relationship, Ive been caught out before thinking apples were pears with computer hardware!

Thanks again .
WILT
Old 11-April-2007, 08:32
Screamer

Hello everyone,
Just wondering if there is a simple guide out so i could follow step by step how to unlock the home hub, I have been trying for ages without any sucsess, I have even thought of killing myself on more than 1 occasion"STRESS". The full unlock guide and firmware is being sold on ebay for 5 so it can be done, can any of you point me in the right direction, and before you tell me to buy it off ebay "DONT", i recently unlocked my mates bt 2091 wireless router and have offered to help that needs it, so i am not sefish, hope there someone out there that can help me, thanks steve171
Old 11-April-2007, 10:55
WILT

Am I correct in assuming that one only gains access to the ZZMYAA6.196.bli file after the router is plugged in ? i.e. it is stored in firmware on the device?
WILT
Old 11-April-2007, 11:17
WILT

Steve171,

I was hoping that this earlier post was sufficient :-

WOOHOO!
I followed the instructions from 2-3 posts and finally got it working!
[Full thanks to Iron Duke for the info about editting the firmware file in a hex editor]

I ran into problems with the updates and so to avoid problems for other people, here is my step-by-step HOWTO for flashing a BT Homehub (HH) to 6.1.9.6

* You need to download a couple of files before you start since you need to do the flash update while offline (right click each link > Save As)
Speedtouch Update Wizard 4.4.2.1
6.1.6.9 firmware file
Hexedit
* Unzip the Speedtouch Update Wizard to somewhere on your hard drive.
* Run the HexEdit.exe file. It will ask for a file to open, so tell it to open the ZZMYAA6.196.bli file.
* You'll have a black window with white text. Using your arrow keys, move along the first line until you're highlighting the 5 of the second 51
Code:

42 4c 49 32 32 33 51 51 30 Change it to 52 by typing over it. 42 4c 49 32 32 33 51 52 30

Now go down the page to where it says BANT-7 on the right (line 130)
Code:

9c f3 ab f8 08 06 42 41 4e 54 2d 37 Change it to 5a by typing over it. 9c f3 ab f8 08 06 42 41 4e 54 2d 5a

Click on "File" and choose "Save As". Save the file somewhere on your hard drive, but change the .bli on the end to .bin
* Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
* Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
* Click on the "Use the following IP address" option and enter the following in the boxes.
Code:

IP address: 192.168.1.1 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254

Click "OK" then "OK".
* Connect the HH to your desktop PC with the yellow ended CAT5 cable.
* Plug in the power of the HH.
* Go to the folder you unzipped the Speedtouch Update Wizard to.
* Doubleclick on upgradeST.exe
* Click on "Next"
* Let the wizard detect your HH. When you click on "Next" you will be asked for the login of the router.
Login: admin
Pass: admin
* Click on the "Have Disk" button, and find the ZZMYAA6.196.bin file that you created earlier. That's the .bin file, NOT the .bli file.
You'll know if you editted it correctly earlier because it will say 6.1.6.9 for the version, and 2.0.0 for the config. If it doesn't say those figures, you need to go back and re-edit the file in HexEdit as you've got something slightly wrong somewhere.
* Click "Next".
* This is your final chance to chicken out before you start the update. If you're ready, click "Next" and let the update run.
* If all goes well, you will see the firmware being uploaded to the router and then being installed on the router.
* Ignore the error message at the end because the wizard is lying to you.
* Close the wizard.
* Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
* Login using the same login details as before...
* Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
* Type exit to leave telnet.
* Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
* Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
* Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
* Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
* Open your browser and type in http://192.168.1.254
* Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
* Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
* Click the "Next" button on the popup window
* Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
* Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
* Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
* Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"

I think it is self-explanatory from that point on. That basically means that you've got Internet capability.

Have a look around the menus. You've got far more options available to you.
Oh yeah, I got my wifi working on WPA-PSK without the slightest problem.
I don't have a hub phone so I can't comment about that side of things.

Have fun boys and girls!
Last edited by Zenith : 17-March-2007 at 03:27.
Old 11-April-2007, 11:35
hippy1970

Hi Guys,
Big thanks for the helpful links and tips.
I just flashed my HUB with the 7G firmware and all is well.
As a way of saying thanks I thought I could help by hosting the flashing program and the hex editted firmware file.
So if you don't fancy doing a HEX edit or just can't be bothered then copy and paste this into your browser http://www.iol.ie/~glennp/warez/BTHH2ST7G.rar

Thanks again!
Old 11-April-2007, 17:46
WILT

I just clicked on the link ,it downloaded tons of gobbley gook and screwed my BT 105 ,what did I do wrong? I had to reload my driver for the adsl modem to get back on here!

WILT

Tags
adsl, adsl2, belkin, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, isp, key, laptop, lock, make, netgear, network, product, router, settings, sipgate, speed, speedtouch, speedtouch 7g, tiscali, voip, web, windows, wireless