Old 22-March-2004, 09:56
Safe Sane Consensual

Dead right again kdee
Old 22-March-2004, 17:50
Rigger

HI All

To every body who is doing something concering weight loss,
good luck,and congratulations

W/L I do believe much of what Dr.Aktins states in his book,I have read it 3 times from cover to cover,and keep going back for reference.It has explained many things concerning,Diet in the broader sense of the word,diobeatis,blood pressure,kidney malfunction.The so called Food Industry who IMO are more interested in the profit margin,than about the actual nutritional value of products

You choose to follow his weight programme to the letter more power to your elbow,I am afraid I dont think I could do that too much counting and weighing

As is blatantly obvious I crash Diet it normally takes me 2/3 months to get to my target weight the next 9 month I get on with living.When January comes around again its look at belly time again If I need to lose weight I have 3 month before I don mi cossy and flaunt my body, to the delight of many,on the seashore.

I have a full medical every year,my Doctor knows how I diet,he just shakes his head

If you think about it I am following a very old way of gaining weight in the summer and losing it in the winter Mankind did this for thousands of years.

Rigger
Old 22-March-2004, 19:49
Safe Sane Consensual

Sorry Rigger if I've given the impression

You choose to follow his weight programme to the letter more power to your elbow,I am afraid I dont think I could do that too much counting and weighing
I'm just working on a very simple system of taking in about 20 grammes of carb each day. It's a helping of greens at lunchtime and in the evening and I do this by guesswork.

I have the book but unlike you I have not been able to read it from cover to cover - I've scanned through got the basics to start induction and looked up the index or visited the support website concerning any queries or problems.

Did some initial checks with "Ketostix" to confirm I was in ketsosis - I don't need the chemical test now I know from the lack of hunger and desire for water that my body has changed.

If things don't work out I will look at the book and take a more disciplined approach.

I do feel that baked beans on toast, baked spuds, cakes, crusty bread are part of my previous life and that if I start on them again I might not be able to stop. Perhaps the next stages of the diet (still to read fully) get you prepared to tackle controlled quantities of what is naughty but nice.
Old 22-March-2004, 21:50
Rigger

Hi W/L

Shame on you,there is a time for scan reading and a time for Study.What you going to do when you become an "OWL"??

Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution ISBN 0 09 188948 0

Chapter11...And away you go: The induction Phase Page 121

"First of all let me welcome those of you who are starting the book at this point.While I admire your sense of efficiency I think you are cheating yourself of the information that will provide long term success.Only by reading the first ten chapterswill you have full understanding of why Atkins works and of the preparations that will increase permanent lifetime control of your weight,long term health and well being"

It was his insights (Dr Atkins) into diet,and the whole gambit of Refined foods,sugars,grain, in the developed world and the corrolation to heart desease,diabeatis, the tiredness and mood swings that do occur as a result of the food we eat.That made
very interesting reading to me.

Rigger
Old 22-March-2004, 23:26
Safe Sane Consensual

You are absolutely right Rigger I should try to study the book.

I'm just keeping it simple and concentrating on the bits that I need immediately - the broad perspective I got through scan reading made the paragraph you quoted quite familiar.

Perhaps I take in more than I think I do when scan reading.

Thanks for your concern. I hope to become a good OWL
Old 29-March-2004, 16:03
Rigger

This weeks weigh in

187 lb current weight, lost 6lb last week

Have you dropped the first stoneW/L

Rigger
Old 29-March-2004, 19:39
Safe Sane Consensual

Congratulations Rigger on losing three bags of sugar this week!!!!!!

I've been stuck on the same weight for about 10 days. Mrs W/L reports my figure is reducing though and I'm still in ketosis.

I sticking tightly to induction levels of carbs and so if I don't start to lose more weight soon I might reduce the calorie input from proteins
Old 29-March-2004, 20:08
Tony

Mrs W/L reports my figure is reducing
hell not all of it i hope Vic, but then again she should know
Old 29-March-2004, 20:24
B

Hey WL,

After 2 weeks of induction you should be increasing your carbs by 5g/day a week until you stop losing, but you know that Add more veg, salad, maybe nuts, maybe berries, but don't eat less. Cutting down on calories is not the way to go IMHO.

Some food for thought for you: http://www.lowcarbportal.com/archive...modynamics.php
Old 29-March-2004, 20:58
Rigger

Hi B
You can stay on Induction for 6 month or more if you choose,to maintain rapid weight loss you only increase your carbs when you want to put the brakes on.

Hi W/L
Sorry to hear you have hit the dolldrums
Now for drastic measures If you are in general good heath how about a day fasting,no food only plenty of water.
you could drop 2/3 lb in a day.this will get the downward spiral going again.The body will resist weight loss this is a natural reaction.I have gone without food for a day,with the above outcome.
I first did a day fasting many years ago while raising money for the starving in Africa.The last was Jan 2003.

Good luck

Rigger
Old 29-March-2004, 21:06
B

Hi Rigger,
I posted what I posted because WL is stuck at the moment. If you follow the Atkins diet to the letter what I posted is what you have to do. Quite often, you stall
from week 3 for a while, while inches are still being lost. If you follow another low-carb diet you don't start off at levels as low as 20g anyway. Personally, I don't believe in starving
Old 29-March-2004, 21:25
Rigger

Hi B

"Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution"

Page 159

Are You Ready for Phase Two ?

More Induction

"Before you even think about stepping up from Induction consider the possibility of staying with it for a while longer.A lot of people think of Induction as only two weeks,but it can be followed for a longer time.If you have a lot of weight to lose or have difficulty losing weight,you might want to do Induction for quite a while.That way you,ll see dramatic progress before moving on to the more moderate phase of the program"

Rigger
Old 29-March-2004, 21:36
B

Touche!
If you (or WL) are of that school of thought, yes, stay with 20g for a while a longer, but do not reduce calories (this will back-fire). That was meant to be my point... And what is 'a lot of weight' to lose? Some of his (US) target market were 100-200 or more pounds overweight. WL or indeed you are not
Old 29-March-2004, 21:43
Rigger

Cheers B

Lets shake hands,we will do battle again no doubt

Followed your link to lowcarb site, I also believe the "food Industry should be rnamed the "profits first"Industry

Rigger

Last edited by Rigger; 29-March-2004 at 21:52.
Old 29-March-2004, 22:51
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks for your input B and Rigger

I lost weight in the third week but it seems I am stuck a while in week four but I'm was not too worried because the "bible" says weight loss is not the only matter to consider in looking at the overall effect of the diet.

I liked Riggers idea of a fast and reckon I could easily go one!

The target weight I have set myself is towards the upper level of that recommended for my height etc so I'm thinking of staying on induction until I get a little nearer target.

As recommended I've added nuts to my menu and a 100 gm pack is lasting me about 3 days (pecans could I think become my favourite). They are rather like a treat right now!

Are my maths right? 15 grammes of carb spread between two meals can mean an awful lot of lettuce, salad, beans or spinach. Probably larger helpings than I had pre-diet.
Old 30-March-2004, 02:55
tazzy

All this talk of diets is making me hungry
Old 30-March-2004, 08:42
Safe Sane Consensual

wb tazzy

I'm not feeling at all hungry after my Atkins breakfast of a two egg omelette (with added cream - not milk!) and fried in butter... plus a glass of water
Old 01-April-2004, 12:13
Safe Sane Consensual

Originally posted by Rigger
This weeks weigh in

187 lb current weight, lost 6lb last week

Have you dropped the first stoneW/L

Rigger
Over the first stone now Rigger

One the move again - just going to update the signature to show a loss of three pounds
Old 01-April-2004, 16:08
Rigger

Cooking with gas or not,as the case maybe your all electric

Rigger
Old 25-April-2004, 07:59
Safe Sane Consensual

Updating figures in view of my promotion of Exciting new method of losing weight

Updating figures here as weight loss is now slow at about a pound a week. I'm still on the basic induction menu with just a few treats like coffee liqueur on my marscapone cheese, the odd half slice of (whole) rye bread, a small helping of cheese sauce on cauliflower.

Interesting I've started increasing the fat intake - pate is a good source and also genuine frankfurter sausage and this seems to be helping weight loss.

So I'll knock of another 3lb from the running total..........
Old 25-April-2004, 11:54
Rigger

Well Done W/L

I make that 17lb gone so far or 8.5 bags of sugar
your body must have a high resistance to losing weight, are you the same with your wallet

I stopped my crash Diet (Atkins based) on the 4th April
I lost 8lb that week bringing my weight down to 179lb

I then stopped eating anything after 6pm in the evening the following three weeks I lost 1lb,2lb,2lb respectively

I now weigh 174lb, will cary on with "the no food after six" until I am a little under 12st.

Problem is I go on holiday on the 21st May for two weeks I always put weight on while on holiday so I may need to drop a few more lb on my return

Rigger
Old 25-April-2004, 13:07
Safe Sane Consensual

Congratulations to you as well Rigger.

After the quickstart was a bit disappointed but even the small continuous losses we are experiencing are better than many diets.

Onto achieving the target weights..................

Go on our holidays in June but fortunately it is to a half board hotel with a buffet restaurant where I can have as much protein and veg as I like for breakfast and evening meal. Will just have to avoid the delicious bread and the desserts that I had in previous years.

Lunch used to be a pint of lager and a small tapas (or a bananna)

A glass of white wine with a bottle of water will have to be the alternative precaution against dehydration.at noon!
Old 15-May-2004, 16:53
Safe Sane Consensual

Seeing B's post on sugary indulgencess leads me to make a confession that things seem to have gone off target for me!

I've been stuck on the 170 lb for a couple of weeks with the ketosis mainly being at trace level. Today my readings for the first time since March are negative.

Perhaps I shouldn't have sinned and , to be sociable, had a whole wholemeal biscuit during my sports session on Friday!!!!!!

Never mind I'm happy without the carbs though I must admit hunger pangs seem to be associated with being out of ketosis.

Wondering if I might slip back into ketosis if I keep the carbs down or if it will be necessary to start induction again.
Old 16-May-2004, 06:41
Safe Sane Consensual

Slipped back into Ketosis - just a trace of pink
Old 16-May-2004, 20:34
Rigger

Congrats W/L

You must have a very slow metabolic burn rate,did you do the test as per the "bible"?

Have a day fasting that will give the old system a jolt

My latest report,lost another 5lb over the past 3 week by not eating after 6pm,drink plenty water though

Shed just over 3stone from Jan 04

Current weight 169lb (12st 1lb)

On holiday fom Friday, Fly 10am,and thats an end of the dieting until Jan2005

stick with it W/L,and good luck

Rigger
Old 16-May-2004, 20:45
squidgy

You've been checking? Well done.

Is there any way of doing the Atkins diet without eating stuff that makes you smell bad? My theory about food is that if it's something that goes bad if you take it out of the fridge and leave it in the open for a few hours - then, chances are, if you eat it, it'll go bad inside your body too. This rules out almost all dairy produce, and most fish and seafood products too. Meat and poultry aren't quite as bad - though vegetables are better. Mind you, it depends what the vegetables are. Onions and garlic aren't good. Beans don't help either.

But eating fresh fruit makes you smell nice.

I think the fact that certain foods make you smell bad can't be brushed aside as an irrelevance. Supporters of the Atkins diet criticise supporters of the calorie-counting diet for brushing aside the fact that low-fat high-sugar foods play havoc with your appetite as irrelevant - but how is that different?

Human beings aren't supposed to smell bad. We rely on social contact with the people around us - and when we smell bad, we don't get it. Social isolation can lead to loss of language skills and heightened social anxiety, which if left untreated can turn into paranoia. At this stage, we simply stop going to see the doctor, and are therefore at risk of developing serious life threatening illnesses without anyone noticing. So although we might have a giggle about whiffy people, I'm totally serious when I say I think that people who smell bad have a shorter life expectancy than people who smell nice.

Unfortunately, being polite around smelly people isn't the solution either. Being near a whiffy person makes us physically nauseous - there's only so long we can handle it. It's a bit like holding your breath. We suffocate if we don't get enough air, but it's impossible to kill yourself by holding your breath. And it's impossible to remain in the vicinity of a smelly person indefinitely for the same reason.

Just because someone smells bad, it doesn't mean that they haven't washed. The way you smell has got much more to do with what you've eaten recently than how long it is since you last had a bath or shower.

My 2p-worth.
Old 16-May-2004, 21:26
Safe Sane Consensual

Firstly congratulations Rigger - excellent results

I'm getting some idea now about the relationship of exercise, weight gain or loss in relation to carbhhydrate increases. Sadly I don't think I will be able to cope with much excess over the daily allowance on induction - a few treats like macadama nuts and maybe a dash of coffee liqueur on the marscapone cheese or a quarter slice of bread?

If the 2lb loss I think I may have recently stays then I will be happy ticking downwards slowly. If not more drastic action must be on the cards!!!!!

Squidgy, I thought you were a low carb. diet expert!!!!!!

The cause of some people having bad breath on Atkins is not because of the food but because of the basic principle of the diet. This is putting the body into ketosis where the body fat is used as an energy source and the chemical reactions here can cause bad breath.

The risk of bad breath can be minimised by drinking plenty of water (also recommended for other reasons) and eating green vegetables.

I've had no complaints of bad odours - but that may be because I'm also strict on oral hygiene and have a shower each day

(and use an underarm deodorant!)
Old 20-May-2004, 08:38
Safe Sane Consensual

Broken the 12 stone (168lb) barrier at last

Dealt with the stable weight situation as metabolic resistance and followed Dr Atkins suggestion to adopt "The Fat Fast" .

Read somewhere that it is more effective than actual fasting.

It is a 1000 calorie a day diet with 75% to 90% fat.

WARNING the Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant

Here's my working menu - not bad is it?

Breakfast (about 7.00 am) 60 gms of pate (200 calories)

Elevenses 45 gms of macadama nut (300 calories)

Main meal (17.00 hrs) 30 gms of pate (100 calories)
15 gms of macadama nuts (100 calories)
Sugar free jelly with two tbs cream ( 67 calories)

Evening snack (or final meal) 30 gms of macadama nuts (200 calories)

Ketosis reading now moved from trace or small to moderate.
Old 20-May-2004, 14:48
deezel

Lot of 'Nuts' in yer last post WL

Tags
bad, bbc, car, cards, chips, dead, deals, forward, free, google, happy, health, home, key, law, line, lost, make, music, product, sharing, slow, talk, tesco, weight loss