Old 22-July-2002, 08:05
squidgy

Lightbulb The patch

Hate to have to say it, but I'm skeptical.

I mean, they say it doubles the chance of being able to give up smoking. But what do you have to do on the patch?

You have to keep using it for three months, and gradually reduce the dose towards the end. You must change your patch once every 24 hours. You mustn't change them more frequently than that. Or less frequently. Or wear more than one patch at a time. Or stop using the patch suddenly.

So what if you want to have a glucose tolerance test for hyperinsulism or diabetes? You have to stop using the patch for probably twelve hours in order to be able to do that.

More to the point, erm, you're not supposed to smoke whilst on the patch.

To my way of thinking, these instructions exclude the possibility of the patch not actually working anyway! If you start smoking again, then it's not the patch's fault - instead, it's your fault for not using it properly.

So, ummm, when they say you're twice as likely to be able to give up smoking, what exactly is that supposed to mean?
Old 22-July-2002, 14:21
Safe Sane Consensual

Guess the patch alleviates the nicotine addiction but you still have to be motivated to give up the habit.

Hypnosis worked for a friend of mine..... it supported the motivation to stop.
Old 22-July-2002, 14:54
fridgebuzz

Squidgy I've heard that patches are a waste of money - thenonly real cure is strong will-power.

But on second thoughts try putting the patch over your mouth - that may make it harder to have a ciggie
Old 22-July-2002, 16:23
babs

Default Hi Squidgy

...and I thought thought this thread was about that infamous wet patch - doh!

For all my sins, I've never been a smoker so I don't have any knowledge about nicotine patches at all and nothing to contribute to your thread here either I'm afraid ... Good luck though if you are serious about giving up the evil weed....

Ps Let me know if you find a way that works - maybe it would work for me to give up chocolate too ..
Old 22-July-2002, 16:52
Fenix

Hmm... I would have thought the best way to stop smoking is not to put them in your mouth in the first place , works well for choccies too babs

Ever Helpful

Fenix
Old 22-July-2002, 19:32
STS

Default Love ?

Hi,

My girlie doesn't smoke and I don't either.... However I have been regularly applying nicotine patches to her when she's asleep for the last 10 years.

Why ?? ........

Cause if she ever decides to leave me she will suffer withdrawal symptoms and crave .................. For a life of......

Me
BEER
CURRY
FOOTBALL
BIKES
FAST CARS
MORE BEER
MORE CURRY
SPORTS OF ALL KINDS IF NO BIKES OR FAST CARS OR FOOTBALL.

HeHe....... Good Plan innit !

STS

edited coz I carnt speel good.

Last edited by STS; 22-July-2002 at 20:16.
Old 22-July-2002, 19:36
fridgebuzz

wicked

course STS you shouldn't really be telling what you apply to your girlie

Old 22-July-2002, 20:06
squidgy

Mate of mine tried Zyban - and it really works apparently. You just don't think about smoking at all. But they probably won't give it to me, because of my history. Ho hum. I suppose I could always rub the patch ....

Still, I managed three days last time, lets see if I can do better this time.

Ways of giving up choccies ... hmmm. Not sure but I'll say if I have any ideas.
Old 22-July-2002, 20:17
STS

Default Plans

Hi,

I suppose I could always rub the patch ....
Good idea..... I'll go and give it a shot.

STS
Old 22-July-2002, 20:38

I think the patches are a bit of a scam myself, I think I saw somewhere that nicotine withdrawal takes 24 or 48 hrs - after than you aren't phyisically craving nicotine, patch for 3 months - could be an expensive habit...

Sil
Old 22-July-2002, 21:26
babs

Thanks for the tip Fenix but I find it very difficult say no - especially when it's staring you in the face just begging to be eaten .. *sigh*!

babs

Ps I've heard of patches for chocoholics which supposedly work in the same ways as the nicotine ones but so far I've resisted and just invested my cash in ... another bar of Cadbury's!
Old 22-July-2002, 21:46
Fenix

Babs says
............I find it very difficult say no - especially when it's staring you in the face just begging to be eaten .. *sigh*!
My partner has similar problems babs; I tell her just to suck it, it lasts sooo much longer

Fenix
Old 22-July-2002, 22:03
katie

From my experience patches do work but only if you've got willpower and you are determined to give up smoking. Patches really help lessen the cravings for ciggies.

Katie.
Old 22-July-2002, 22:17
babs

Wink Norti Norti!

Ohherr! you are norti norti Fenix - but I like you I fink cos you are as bad - or is that as good? - as ickle ol' moi 'ere!

That's very true Katie for anything you are trying to give up be it smoking , drinking, eating or whatever - if the will to succeed is there then that's the battle half won and anything that's deemed to help will help no doubt - if it's not, then nothing will make you succeed - not patches, tablets or any of the so called alternative cures - that's my view anyway

babs
Old 22-July-2002, 23:22
squidgy

Am tempted to think that silv is right.

I've heard that one of the reasons why nicotine is addictive is because it boosts adrenalin levels, which causes a temporary rise in blood sugar levels. Now, not all of you happen to believe in the low-carbohydrate dieting idea, but for the benefit of those of you who are open minded, I'm led to believe that when blood sugar levels go up, it causes the pancreas to release insulin to bring it back down to normal again. If you do this a lot, then you build up insulin resistance, causing repeated temporary hypoglycemia and sugar cravings a few hours after eating. If this isn't treated, it can lead on to type 2 diabetes.

So - perhaps the effect of smoking is not much different to that of comfort eating then. The difference is, though, that if you satisfy the craving by smoking cigarettes (or using patches), then yes, it'll increase blood sugar levels, but from existing stores. But if you don't smoke - what do you do instead? The craving still needs to be satisfied, so you comfort eat. As a result, a lot of people put on weight when they try to give up smoking, unless they happen to be on a low carbohydrate diet, which some people say actually helps them quit smoking (though admittedly it hasn't helped me). Having said that, even though you're less likely to put on weight when you smoke, it still messes about with the insulin enough to pose a risk of diabetes and heart disease.

Okay - that little theory about the hormonal and health effects of smoking - I totally made that all up myself by the way! But it sounds plausible to me, it explains why smoking can cause heart disease, and it also explains why people who don't low-carb often put on weight when they try to give up smoking.

Even if you don't believe a word of it, I still think it casts doubt on the idea that patches actually work.

But hey - there's a plus side. I'm now getting my patches on prescription - however, I've got to let a nurse check my breath carbon monoxide level every two weeks in order to get the prescription renewed, which means they'll know if I've started smoking again. To be honest, I think that wanting to avoid being "told off" for not making any progress is more likely to make me want to stay off smoking than the patches themselves.
Old 23-July-2002, 13:03

I've heard that one of the reasons why nicotine is addictive is because it boosts adrenalin levels, which causes a temporary rise in blood sugar levels.
And as alcohol reduces blood sugar level, I wonder if thats why drinking makes you smoke more ! (plus the obligatory kebab )
Old 23-July-2002, 16:11
squidgy

Are you sure alcohol reduces blood sugar levels?

I shouldn't have said anything, because it's going over my head now! Still, giving up smoking isn't easy, though I'm led to believe it's a lot easier to stay off the cigs if you never started smoking in the first place.

Oh hey, I think I'll cast doubt on that idea now. Surely everyone who smokes must have started at some point? So there's obviously a chance of a non-smokers turning into smokers, otherwise no-one would smoke at all. If the proportion of quitters who succeed is greater than the proportion of total people who never smoke at all, then .... hmm. I wonder if there's any statistics on this?
Old 23-July-2002, 18:12
squidgy

erm

Last edited by squidgy; 23-July-2002 at 18:15.
Old 23-July-2002, 18:14
squidgy

I wanna [color="dark red"]SCREAM!!![/color]

I feel better for that.
Old 23-July-2002, 18:36

http://www.valleyhealth.com/scripts/...?L=1843&A=2604

but also

http://webmd.lycos.com/content/article/1689.52795
Old 23-July-2002, 20:39
squidgy

Thanks Ian. I'm pretty sure that I'm not diabetic, reason is because I recently bought my own blood sugar level self testing kit, and I can tell you, the testing strips are damn expensive when you can't get them on prescription! (about 55p per testing strip, and 5p per lancet, including VAT, assuming you're using an "accuchek advantage" - at least that's how much it cost in my local Boots, it might be cheaper for other testing kits though) Current blood sugar level is 5.1mmol/L.

Must admit, though, I started smoking again after buying it, but at least I've stopped again since. And one day last week, I took a large quantity of glucose tablets, though I've gone back onto low carb again since then. But it didn't seem to make any difference to my blood sugar levels. My highest ever reading has been 5.6mmol/L and my lowest has been 4.8mmol/L. That said, I did throw up from drinking too much on Saturday. Can't say that I had the test kit with me at the time, wish I had now. Point is, I'm not diabetic, and I'd like it to stay that way.

I wonder if that means it's harder for diabetics to give up though .... any diabetic smokers, or diabetic quitters out there who care to comment? This became my obsession for a few days after an annoying stop smoking adviser said it might help to take glucose tablets, and I told her in no uncertain terms that I saw things differently. Basically I'd like someone to reassure me that there is actually a point. Thanks.
Old 24-July-2002, 15:27
squidgy

Talking Very weird dreams

Tell ya wot - these patches are making me have lots of really really weird dreams when I sleep! They're not scary, I like it, it's just weird, that's all. Never realised I had so much untapped imagination.

Other things that I think may have an effect on this - am on low carbohydrate diet, am taking st johns wort, and am taking a very high dose of L-glutamine. My doctor has prescribed beta blockers but I'm not taking them any more because I think they're not doing me any good, but I haven't sold them yet.
Old 25-July-2002, 05:52
Screamager

Patches do work.......I used em and found it easier to quit than previous cold turkey methods

'Slo
Old 25-July-2002, 07:02
fridgebuzz

Where did you put the cold turkey 'slo......

and how did that help
Old 25-July-2002, 13:29
squidgy

I've tried cold chicken ....
Old 21-September-2003, 07:53
garethem

I find I smoke more when enjoying a few pints, however needing to quit I find myself in a difficult position as I am an assistant manager of a PUB!
Old 21-September-2003, 12:16
squidgy

I find I smoke more when enjoying a few pints, however needing to quit I find myself in a difficult position as I am an assistant manager of a PUB!
I hope you don't smoke behind the bar, though - that would be in breach of food safety regulations

Tags
bad, cash, health, make, scam