Old 20-February-2004, 17:03
Danmancs

Question spyware cleaners

Afternoon,

Can anyone recomend some good spyware/trojan cleaners? I have ad-aware, but I just have a feeling that there is something lurking in my PC. I keep getting random pop up ads when I open internet explorer to my home page... which is news.bbc.co.uk... so I presume they are not allowing people to have ads for penis enlagement etc on their website!! Also I keep getting slow downs where the mouse won't move very fast.

As an aside; the built in firewall in XP vs. Zonealarm? Any thoughts? I've gone back to the built in one right now because I cant get my mailserver to work through ZA. I SHOULD be getting my ADSL router/firewall tomorrow, so that'll solve that problem, but just out of interest....?

Dan.
Old 20-February-2004, 18:30
P.C.Dunderhead

Read Onslo's guide to IMHO best free personal firewall from Sygate:http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t7985.html?

Spybot Search And Destroy in my experience is the greatest pest remover:http://www.safer-networking.org

Your P.C. sounds so compromised,I'm not certain it will permit the download,however.Post back if you encounter difficulties.
Old 20-February-2004, 18:33
P.C.Dunderhead

Sygate has improved vastly since then!

http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t12102.html?

Link to current discussion about Firewalls.Contains link to Sygates download site.
Old 24-February-2004, 22:02
Zer02004

The best anti spyware tool on the market imho is Webroot SpySweeper. Unfortunately it's not free but a thirty day trial edition is available.
Old 25-February-2004, 00:06
Yorkshire Screamager

You can check online at PestScan or at Webroot Software.
Old 25-February-2004, 00:58
bloodhound

i use norton internet security? how does it compare to zone alarm or sygate? do u think i should install something else?
Old 25-February-2004, 01:50
Zer02004

There are three Norton/Symantec Products that I actually like and use readily. They are Norton Personal Firewall, Symantec WinFax Pro and Norton Ghost.
I haven't yet found fault with a properly set up installation of NPF and believe me, I've tried.

The AV software I use is Kaspersky Labs Anti Viral Toolkit Pro.
Old 25-February-2004, 05:37
P.C.Dunderhead

@BloodHound,I dunno,old son.All software has "spyware" embedded in it to a certain degree.The "echelons" (whoever the blinking heck they might be) can track you via GUI hardware serial codes and so on....

If you have an O.S.,I'm amazed the F.B.I. haven't kicked your door in.Somebody somewhere has your number...you can bet on it.....
Old 25-February-2004, 07:59
bloodhound

Originally posted by P.C.Dunderhead
@BloodHound,I dunno,old son.All software has "spyware" embedded in it to a certain degree.The "echelons" (whoever the blinking heck they might be) can track you via GUI hardware serial codes and so on....

If you have an O.S.,I'm amazed the F.B.I. haven't kicked your door in.Somebody somewhere has your number...you can bet on it.....
BUT my os is perfectly LEGALLLL. it came with me laptop.. if they track me down they will have to track 100 million illegal users. otherwise that would be discrimition cos i am gay(not just joking) that mean i am not gay.
Old 25-February-2004, 10:14
P.C.Dunderhead

@BH..I meant,whatever software you run on your O.S. has reported back to its creators,certainly.I am assuming you aren't running a cracked Norton?

Do a netstat and see who your computer is connected to.What would be the point of having a Sygate Firewall that'll transmit to verio.inc..?Presumably,they're duty bound to turn you in?
It'd be so easy for the Authorities to bust soft targets like penniless Students to fill their quotas rather than Gangsters...
Old 25-February-2004, 20:45
bloodhound

ooops i did it again hehe. yes its cracked. everything in me computer is cracked except my OS
how do i do a netsat?
i went to runa dtype ed netstat. i god a black windows and they colsoe down almos imeedicalty
Old 25-February-2004, 21:14
Zer02004

Open a DOS box first.
Now type netstat -a
Typing netstat /? will give you all the switch options for netstat and a brief explanation of each.
Old 25-February-2004, 21:49

some info in <thread>:Advice please - netstat

Sil
Old 25-February-2004, 22:56
Danmancs

I just did a netstat, and it looks like I have a shed load of ports open. I am behind a hardware router/firewall though, so should I worry too much? I've done a port scan on www.dslreports.com and it says everything is ok....

Tags
adsl, bbc, compare, computer, free, home, internet, laptop, line, online, remover, router, security, slow, software, trojan, windows, zone, zonealarm