Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > PC Security

Old 07-September-2006, 15:50
Nortius Maximus

Default Re: How good is AVG?

I was just checking out my old posting and discovered that I seem to have wasted my money buying KAV - oh well, at least I can use the AOL freebie on the PC of a charity I volunteer for.

Last edited by Nortius Maximus; 07-September-2006 at 16:11.
Old 10-September-2006, 19:39
ormus55

avg7 has a lot of knockers. but considering its free, its one of the best ones around, and thats including many paid for programs!
kaspersky and nod 32 are very good.

most of the others are to be found wanting. some of them are wanting in a very big way.

remember though, you must use other security measures too.

as regards limewire, i use limewire with no problems at all. i never DL small files though. providing you stick to large files you should be ok. most problem files are about 800/900k. songs are usually about 2mb/6mb and upwards.
Old 10-September-2006, 20:09
Nortius Maximus

If you want to test you your anti-virus try downloading the ubiquitous Limewire files that are 197.7 KB, 228 KB or 851.7 KB - they are contain a crypt Trojan which kaspersky, McAfee and the free AOL AV ad EZ AV all find and deal with. AVG may have a lot of knockers, but then considering it's only partially effective that not surprising.
Old 10-September-2006, 22:49
ormus55

yes, but it doesnt explain why norton and macafee have so many supporters?
Old 20-September-2006, 22:59
Zer02004

It's probably because Norton and McAfee are bundled with many "big box" machines such as those from Dell and users are loathe (Or don't know how) to change.
Old 21-September-2006, 06:07
Talon

.....And they advertise the heaviest on TV and in major computer retailers
Old 21-September-2006, 18:02

mcafee and norton both consume way too much memory and cpu, (10`s of MB for the core and an excessive number of extra applications)

I`ve got NOD installed and the kernel is currently using 2.7MB and theres 2 copies of the user interface bit (one for each logged in user) using 1.5 and 2MB
Old 27-September-2006, 08:48
Life in the Farce Lane

I too used NOD until corporate dictated otherwise, brilliant program, very helpful support.
All AV's should be based on this level of effectivness for resource use.
Old 28-September-2006, 09:27
martian

Out of the free av's I have tested I found Avast to be the best. I have not tried the aol av because I did not like Kaspersky6, it slowed my connection even with the web av disabled and kept causing timeouts on pages. I use the Limewire test everyone else seems to use (actually I use frostwire). I do not see the point of the eicar test because it is a simple job to get even the worst av to catch it. Bitdefender is a good av but don't use the firewall, it sucks. I am now a very satisfied user of NOD32, great on systems resources and very effective.
Old 08-June-2008, 14:28
bayley

i have used AVG most of the time through my computing experince and to be fair it's not that bad for a free AV although the AVG that you have to pay for is quite crap (who actually cares about online support, or who uses it??)

i think the free adition gives you alot of protection for what it is, it gives spyware protection, virus protection, email protection, resident sheild (this is pretty good!) and other bits.

but if you want good protection try NOD32 it is brillant it detects and removes viruses, maleware, spyware addware with ease and comes with a 30day free trial.

also if you really can't afford good protection try spyware terminator as that is pretty effective aswell.

Tags
aol, bad, bundled, computer, dead, email, files, free, happy, line, mail, offer, online, opinion, product, remover, security, settings, silver surfer, slow, software, speed, virus, volume, windows, zero, zone