Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > News

Old 30-December-2013, 15:07
Formerly exstreamuser

News! Is 2014 the Year that the Desktop PC Will Die?

A recent prediction at WIRED.com suggests that in 2014 the mobile device puts the final nail in the coffin of everything that came before.

I cannot greatly disagree with anything said in the article but I do not see the desktop PC as dead yet. Perhaps for many users this will be the case but for power users, gamers and businesses the desktop machine will continue for a while yet. It may change a little but there are still needs for the advantages that it brings.

I do think Microsoft is a lot to blame here too by manufacturing an Operating System primarily geared towards touchscreen devices. Was this arrogance or greed? Did they overestimate their Users? Were they quite right in their decisions? If instead Microsoft had made two versions of their Operating System rather than try to wrap them into one, things may be a little different. I think they may have suffered irrecoverable losses here.

Personally, I do not like the way things are headed. This great new reborn word "integrated" is nothing more than a license to gain access to your personal data. I am all in favour of integrated software, where the data remains fairly and squarely on my own system but do not ask me to entrust others with it or any other person's data which I may hold. Of course there will be great encouragement for this type of thing as well as a great many backhanders. Just remember, if something is free, then the product is you!

We are already seeing the beginning of wearables but most can barely be classed as more than prototypes. There is much more to come here! I await the iWatch with interest because I see very good reasons why Apple is hanging back and this is most likely due to different ways of doing things. I would also hope that it looks like something that people would want to wear rather than just a lump of technology strapped to a wrist.

Mostly, I see mobile devices as enhancements or allowing more freedom and movement. Would you give up your lounge TV for a tablet just because you can watch TV on it? Some will but there is a place for everything.

Gamers may move more towards games consoles and in one sense this is not a bad thing. What about game development and production though? Will games go back to being available only on a single platform? Will not multi-platform games become more expensive?

A great many educational establishments are going "thin client". IT managers freely admit this is the way it should have been all along, except running Windows desktop computers worked out a less costly investment. Of course, this does open a lot more doors too towards students having personal devices, whether provided by the establishment or not.

Businesses too could go thin client but more and more businesses are allowing people to bring and use their own devices. Of course there are issues here but there are also ways of taking care of these issues. This is a good step towards telecommuting, which if handled well can benefit all.

What do you see as the future of the desktop PC?
Old 31-December-2013, 21:17
Scrimper

Default Re: Is 2014 the Year that the Desktop PC Will Die?

Every year we get this old chestnut that the PC will die!

Personally I don't agree, It's natural that as tablets are more widespread the number of desktops will reduce but IMHO they won't replace their use.

I own several desktops, a laptop and soon I shall be getting a Nexus 7 (after seeing the one my Grandson has) but I still prefer the desktop for many tasks especially when doing things like photo editing with Photoshop, My laptop is a top of the range Dell with 6Gb ram but I still prefer to use my desktop. I also dislike touch screen devices although I can see the need for tablet use.

So no I don't think the desktop will die!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 01-January-2014, 23:34

Cool Re: Is 2014 the Year that the Desktop PC Will Die?

Every year we get this old chestnut that the PC will die!

Personally I don't agree
Originally Posted by druid View Post
And nor do I.

I have had a desktop PC at home since 1995 (and used a PC at the office before that) but now I also have a laptop and a tablet - I still prefer the desktop PC.
Old 02-January-2014, 20:20
Safe Sane Consensual

With a desktop the computer unit, monitor and keyboard can be positioned for comfort and to minimise the risk of RSI.

The monitor size and quality on a desktop system superior to those provided for laptops (or else the laptops themselves become too heavy)

I could be wrong but I do not believe that laptops yet have power and durability to compare with desktop machines for games purposes

Vic
Old 02-January-2014, 21:44
Formerly exstreamuser

Have you considered that a monitor, keyboard and mouse can be added to a laptop, giving the best of all worlds and only one machine? Laptop stands also exist, which combat the issues too.
Old 02-January-2014, 22:02
Scrimper

What I like about a desktop over the laptop is the interchangeability and upgrading that is possible, I often swap bits within my PC's for example to test a component in the case of a fault or simply to add an additional drive or other item. over the years I Have accumulated quite a range of PC's and spare components such as power supplies etc and I love the fact that parts are easily obtained and replaced, in most cases PSU's will fit most PC's over the last 10 years, There are not many techy items where that is possible!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 24-March-2014, 20:34
Screamer

I would honestly never switch over to a laptop until there was no actual desktop available. I have never been comfortable at a laptop (whether it be for work or for fun) and I am not planning on starting now. Push and predict as they may, I think that we’ll be asking the same question again a decade from now.
Old 03-June-2014, 15:09

I still use my desktop p.c. and shall do so till it dies.
Old 19-June-2014, 09:15
Rambler

I still use my desktop p.c. and shall do so till it dies.
Originally Posted by kitgem View Post
So will I
Old 19-June-2014, 10:48
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I gave away my desktop PC 3 years ago and have since managed with a laptop. The current one has 6Gb ram, a fast i5 processor and does all I need in one neat case.
I doubt whether I'll bother with another PC or any of the current tablets which all strike me as too small to be readable, not to mention the greasy fingermarks all over the touchscreen !

Guess that makes me a bit of a Luddite..............
Old 20-June-2014, 08:26

Thumbs up Re: Is 2014 the Year that the Desktop PC Will Die?

Guess that makes me a bit of a Luddite..............
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
No certainly not a Luddite.
What it means is that you have sorted out what suits you - and that's fine.
I personally cannot see a time in the near future when I will NOT want a desktop. I do have a laptop and a Nexus 7 (which I use to read The Times) both of which I use mostly when away but the desktop is by far the most used overall.
Old 12-May-2015, 09:30

I think that tablets will ultimately take over the PC world. Although the typing experience on these leaves a lot to be desired...
Old 12-May-2015, 09:31

I think that tablets will take over but the typing experience leaves much to be desired...
Old 03-September-2015, 12:42
Screamer

I also like the tablets because of it's bigger screen and typing capability. But I want to carry it always.
Old 07-October-2015, 04:59
Safe Sane Consensual

Several years ago I had an XP netbook that was very useful for keeping up with share prices and emails on holiday.

Updated with a Samsung tablet but the problem now is that so many people have Smart Phones or Tablets that broadband in hotels is impossibly slow unless you pay outrageous charges for a premium service.

YouTube service has now been removed from the Samsung smart television purchased about a year ago. There are many complaints on "Which?" from angry purchasers who feel they have been misled by this.

The answer for me has to purchase a Chromesat dongle and it works magnificently with my tablet to provide a world of entertainment from videos of very good quality.

What a surprise last night! Others might find it worth skipping through the Italian announcer to view and hear the music. The entry of the Toreadors and also the Triumphal March from Aida that is the Arena de Verona at is most magnificent!

https://youtu.be/sZeYsDrT5d4?list=LL...5LZPsI0xlmN_Pw
Old 14-September-2016, 10:27
Screamer

[URL="http://www.email-support-contact.com/gmail-customer-service.html"] Stat Counter’s browser[ /URL] usage data for January 2014 shows that desktop browsers accounted for 71.89% of visits, while mobile (smartphones) accounted for 22.42% and tablets accounted for just 5.69%. Most people are clearly using desktop web browsers to access the web. If they’re not, they’re probably using a smartphone browser — tablet browsers are far behind.

Tags
access, bad, broadband, compare, computer, cool, customer, dead, email, free, home, i5 processor, laptop, mobile, music, product, screen, share, slow, software, support, web, windows