Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 18-February-2005, 15:04
Jenny_GW

Angry Re: aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

The problem with port 25 is a bit deeper.

I host my own email server on the net, but am using AOL for my connection.

I was, until yesterday, able to smtp through my own server. However, it would appear AOL are now scanning any traffic on port 25 looking for emails, regardless of the destination smtp server.

The result of this, I can't get any email out at all on any one of my 7 domains or even on two legacy email addresses I've been using.

AOL tech support are currently blaming Microsoft for the problem, saying that MS have a problem with port 25 on Outlook and Outlook Express! Highly unlikely me thinks. In addition, my mails are being returned by AOL with an AOL generated message telling me I am sending spam!

I have to say I am totally unimpressed with AOL 1st line support, and even the supervisors are unable to help. I am still awaiting a call I was promised at 9:30am and have been told it could be 4:30pm until I hear anything!

All I need AOL for is a connection, and if they'd kindly stop pratting about I'd be a happy bunny.

AOL state they do not support or give assistance on MS software. However, with MS Office being run on an estimated 600 million pc's worldwide, I find it hard to believe I am the only user wishing to use Outlook/Express. Their policy is restrictive and unworkable.

J
Old 18-February-2005, 15:51

Default Re: aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

Hi Jenny,

What kind of hosting do you have, do you have a dedicated server, if so you could setup some kind of port forward from the outside box (like an ssh tunnel) ?

Sil
Old 19-February-2005, 00:59
The-Geek

Jenny,

Not quite sure what you mean by "hosting your own server on the net".

Are you running a mail server from your home / office using your broadband connection or do you actually have a server out there in some data centre somewhere?

Have you tried configuring Outlook to use AOL as a "smart host" and route all outgoing (SMTP) traffic through their mail servers?

Might not be the answer, but worth looking at I'm sure.

Regards

Old 20-February-2005, 01:23
Shadow9684s

you can't expect aol to support outlook no matter how many ppl have it, millions of ppl have a tv in there house would you expect sky to fix it for you?
Old 20-February-2005, 01:35
The-Geek

Hi,

Good point Shadow but

If my Sky Box was faulty or dish pointed in the wrong direction, no I wouldn't expect Sky to fix it, on the other hand if their satellite malfunctioned then I would as I would be paying for a service that I wasn't receiving

How does this relate to AOL and SMTP port 25??

I wouldn't expect AOL to be able to "fix" Outlook Express however, if they were not following accepted internet standards, I would expect them to give me information with regards to a workaround.

Regards

Old 03-May-2005, 10:09
sfinks

problems with Outlook Express??? I would you like suggest you these programs... Outlook Express crash Repair Outlook Express database Outlook Express crash Repair Outlook
Express database
Old 05-May-2005, 22:18
Screamer

It works with port 587 but you also have to disable any firewall that you might have running.
Old 08-May-2005, 17:58
Shadow9684s

is port 25 not outgoing port? ppl keep blaming aol for problems recieving mail which is not outgoing... and in my old job for aol we used aol and outlook without problems for sending and recieving from aol and various other email servers.
Old 01-November-2006, 17:46
Mehran

u can use the port 587 for smtp .
Old 09-November-2006, 00:27
fastlex

Like i said elsewhere if you are not happy with AOL, leave. No one forced you to use the ISP and you went in to it with your eyes open, blaiming AOL for the choice you made seems a little lame.
Originally Posted by Alnath View Post

Its not lame, its just that using AOL and outlook express are a pain. The pain part is AOL. We have tried every combination of ports (25, 5870) POP3 / IMAP and still get no joy. Trouble is we have been recommending AOL to clients, who now are having same problems. It is obvious that AOL are blocking 3rd party email clients such as OE and are not admitting to it. Recently AOL support has become increasingly worst, time to answer phones has increased...etc. The one thing i cannot understand is if there are millions of AOL users across the world, surely they cant all be using AOL to send mail and some must be using OE. If there are any OE express users out there that have no problems sending mail via AOL servers please HEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPP.
Old 17-November-2006, 20:27
hillsider69

Unhappy Re: aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

I can send emails via aol when they have my aol address as the return address, but not if I put my compuserve address on them. Any body know how to fix that one please?
Old 12-May-2008, 12:06
PipeMajor

I have the same problem. AOL accounts work fine using port 587, any account that needs port 25 does not work.
I called AOL support and the supervisor advised that all outgoing port 25 activity is being blocked.
http://postmaster.aol.com/faq/port25faq.html
This page confirms that.

I was advised to send my compaint to postmaster@aol.com

I suggest you all do the same.
Old 27-September-2008, 22:13
deputymarshal

Imap.aol.com use 143
smtp.aol.com use 587
Old 27-June-2014, 14:30

Hello, I had the same problem and I was able to solve it with this tool http://www.cimaware.com.

Tags
aol, bad, blocking, broadband, bt, company, connection, email, files, forward, happy, home, imap, internet, isp, mail, make, mobile, network, offer, port, router, settings, sky, smtp, software, trojan, volume, web, windows