Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > TalkTalk

Old 24-April-2005, 23:09
The_Bear

Angry talktalk

i am trying to upload to talktalk. all the info their site gives is that u get 15MB of web space, but they dont tell u what their ftp address is. what good is an isp who offer web space without telling u the address of their server!
Old 25-April-2005, 07:51

Default Re: talktalk

Does it tell you the settings when you log into your account via there web site ?
Old 25-April-2005, 10:29
Screamager

Hi The_Bear.

Welcome to The Scream.

I found this on another Forum, posted by a member from here (BexTech), I dont know if it helps or not, but should give you some idea.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthre...Number=1570862
Old 25-April-2005, 23:49
The_Bear

Default Re: talktalk- Does it tell you the settings when you log into your account via there

Their web site tells says nothing about their server or settings, and thats when its up. Because most of the time you are met with a "Sorry Page Currently Unavailable"
Old 26-April-2005, 09:49
The_Bear

Angry Re: talktalk

AMESAGE TO ANYONE CONSIDERING TALKTALK BROADBAND!

I am now at the end of my tether giving talktalk 24 hours from 03:20am on 26th April 2005 to get this
sorted. I am asking a simple question!

ARE YOU EVER GOING TO GET ROUND TO ANSWERING MY E-MAILS: I ATTEMPTED
SETTING UP A WEB ADDRESS BUT NOW IT SHOWS XYZZZZ@talktalk.net. AND WONT
LET ME ALTER IT, NOTHING ABOUT WHO YOUR FTP SERVER IS WHAT THE BLOODY HELL
ARE YOU DOING AT TALKTALK. I NEED TO KNOW THE ADDRESS OF YOUR FTP SERVER SO
I CAN UPLOAD MY WEB PAGES TO TALKTALK, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK?

If a positive response is not received by the deadline then I will be cancelling, and looking for a broadband provider that can deliver the goods as talktalk sucks.

Last edited by The_Bear; 15-October-2005 at 03:59.
Old 26-April-2005, 11:28
JetSilver

These guys are having the same problem :

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showflat...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 29-April-2005, 02:10
The_Bear

Talking Re: talktalk

Thanks to all concerned, now I've finally got my pages uploaded.....After a bit of a struggle it now seems pretty easy (I suppose everything seems easy once you know the answer). Well here is the answer: Go to http://bbdashboard.talktalk.net log in with your given user name i.e. phonenumber@talktalk.net enter a name for your web i.e. myweb then enter a password (doesn't have to be the same as the one given by talktalk (as long as you remember it). Now download an FTP program (I used Core FTP) but any should do. In Host enter: www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net. In user name enter: theusernameyouchose@talktalk.net.

Click connect and you should be on. To acces your web pages online it will be: http://www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net/yourpage (i.e. index.html)
Old 29-April-2005, 08:53
Screamager

Hiya.

Thanks for letting us know you got it solved.

Its a pity they make it so damned hard to use their service, most ISP's have all the settings ever needed on their website, why Talktalk is so different is beyond me, maybe they dont want people to use their so called free web space.
Old 30-April-2005, 10:49
gmb033

ftp settings I use are
FTP.username.talktalk.net
directory [blank]
username: username@talktalk.net
password: as set

Note Username is NOT your telephone number (as your diallup username, you need to go to the Talktalkwebsite and activate your web area and give it a name and thaty becomes yur username and you set your password

Hope that helps

G
Old 07-July-2006, 22:38
Radio London

Default Re: talktalk Webspace

Thanks to all concerned, now I've finally got my pages uploaded.....After a bit of a struggle it now seems pretty easy (I suppose everything seems easy once you know the answer). Well here is the answer: Go to http://bbdashboard.talktalk.net log in with your given user name i.e. phonenumber@talktalk.net enter a name for your web i.e. myweb then enter a password (doesn't have to be the same as the one given by talktalk (as long as you remember it). Now download an FTP program (I used Core FTP) but any should do. In Host enter: www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net. In user name enter: theusernameyouchose@talktalk.net.

Click connect and you should be on. To acces your web pages online it will be: http://www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net/yourpage (i.e. index.html)
Originally Posted by The_Bear
Hi only a year later and I am unable to connect to the TalTalk webspace, the BB is working fine BTW (twice as fast as my NTL link !!) but below is the message I get back when tryng to log on using Core FTP, anyone got any pointers please, I have been to the TT site and registered set a password etc , but zilch connection, is it their servers take some time to register me ?.

BigL

resolving www.myname.talktalk.net...
Connect socket #8172 to 32.29.118.87, port 21...
220 webserver-a.opaltelecom.net FTP server ready.
USER *****
331 Password required for *****.
PASS **********
530 Login incorrect.
Old 25-July-2006, 18:07
Unregistered

Wink Re: talktalk

the WWW makes all the difference. ;-) thanks man

In Host enter: www.thenameyouchose.talktalk.net. In user name enter: theusernameyouchose@talktalk.net.

Originally Posted by The_Bear View Post
Old 02-August-2006, 17:46
Bently

Thumbs down Re: talktalk

Ok I have joined the gang of hair pulling over connecting to talktalk web space. I have smartftp and i am not sure but what login do I use? is it the number one? is it the email one? I tried some of the above but could`nt get that to work either. is ftp or www. please help.
Old 17-August-2006, 11:15
srsilk

Thumbs up Re: talktalk FTP Settings

Hi i have got it working with help from all these posts but to summarise.

You will first need to go to http://bbdashboard.talktalk.net where you will need to enter your telephone number eg 01234666666 & Password then select webspace tab snd create a hostname (yourhostname@talktalk.net). It doesnt have to be the same as your phone number infact probably better if it isnt.

Server or URL: www.yourhostname.talktalk.net
Username: yourhostname@talktalk.net
Password: xxxxxxx
Port 21
Remote Path: (LEAVE BLANK)

I am using FlashFXP and these settings work fine.

Cheers Stuart
Old 25-September-2006, 19:03
raccoon

Default Re: talktalk website

I have just spent 30 minutes on the phone to a stupid girl on the tech line at talktalk. Thick is an understatement. I am trying to get my site uploaded to the free space from them. All i get from them is that i need to make an index file and upload it then my site will be seen. Dur, when I make my site it allready has that file and uploads with it. What i get is two lines of text and no site. trying to explain this to them at talktalk is, well impossible.
Anyone who has got their site up there and seen please please tell me how you did it. The site address is www.raccoon.talktalk.net have a look and you will see what i mean. Thanks for any help you can give me.
Old 25-September-2006, 20:25
Zer02004

Your homepage must be named index.htm or index.html and yours is neither.
Old 30-September-2006, 12:09
GeePee

I'm experiencing all the other members problems. Cannot access the TalkTalk server and have done everything suggested here.

One reason could be is that I am trying to set up a new web site for a friend/club and I do not have TalkTalk as my ISP - I have NTL. However, I have all the necessary passwords for the friend - can log on their account etc.

Could that be why I cannot log on to the ftp server? My ftp program is Terrapin, which I have always used in the past.
Old 30-September-2006, 17:12
raccoon

Hi GeePee,
as I understand it, your friend has an account with talktalk. If you are typing into the address bar for your friends site ftp://www.friendssitename.talktalk.net
then his password you should open his ftp site and from there upload his site just using the internet explorer uploader.
I was trying to use "coreftp" and "ewisoft" but in the end uploaded it using IE. Hope this helps you
Old 30-September-2006, 17:15
Optimistic Curmudgeon

I don't think this will work unless you're actually connected via TT connection.
Old 30-September-2006, 18:24
GeePee

Hi Guys. Thanks for the trouble. Will continue with attempts and try the suggestion from friends computer logged on to TT.
Old 30-September-2006, 19:07
GeePee

Question Re: talktalk

Well, partial success. Using IE, I logged on to my friend's web space. Uploaded two folders, the html folder 'Index' and the folder containing all the web sites files...I expected the site then to open the web pages that make up this new site. Unfortunately, all that happened was for the two folders to sit there

If when I open the web space, I click on the 'Index' folder then the web pages display OK.

That's obviously wrong but what am I doing wrong
Old 01-October-2006, 15:35
raccoon

Hi GeePee, that is what was wrong with me. After a lot of advice and messing this is what I did to get my site all showing.
I made my site on the computer but instead of using a third party ftp program I just used the ftp address and IE to upload.
I published my site to a folder aptly named on the computer

Went to the ftp site address for my site and loged in

In my folder on the computer I found my index file and took of the "html" file extension so it was just "index" (i found that the program added and extra htm and stopped it working)

I copied and pasted all the files to the ftp site. All the files looked like the blue "e" and a couple of folders that looked like folders, they were named "user" and "usertpl"

Hope this has helped you.

"
Old 01-October-2006, 19:44
Zer02004

The first step to building a website is to make a folder on your computer and build it inside that folder. The "home page" should be named index.htm or index.html and all links must be relative rather than absolute.
Once the site is working locally, upload the contents of your folder (Not the folder itself!!!) and test.

Always try to use an FTP client such as Filezilla to upload your files as this will allow you to see exactly what is going on. When testing in your browser, don't forget to empty the cache between tests.
Old 01-October-2006, 20:01
GeePee

Hi GeePee, that is what was wrong with me. After a lot of advice and messing this is what I did to get my site all showing.
I made my site on the computer but instead of using a third party ftp program I just used the ftp address and IE to upload.
I published my site to a folder aptly named on the computer

Went to the ftp site address for my site and loged in

In my folder on the computer I found my index file and took of the "html" file extension so it was just "index" (i found that the program added and extra htm and stopped it working)

I copied and pasted all the files to the ftp site. All the files looked like the blue "e" and a couple of folders that looked like folders, they were named "user" and "usertpl"

Hope this has helped you."
Originally Posted by raccoon View Post
Hi Raccoon
Yep, that's exactly what I have done. I have four files shown with a Blue E - these are the files representing the individual pages of the web site. They are named Index, Contacts, Links and Committee. In addition, there are numerous other files which represent pictures, graphics etc etc.
I have changed the suffix of each (blue) file from nothing to html to htm all without the actual site working - all that appears on the web site after uploading is a list of all these files. I have previously written and uploaded web sites both new and revised countless times and have never had this problem.

Can you spot my mistake??
Old 01-October-2006, 20:10
GeePee

The first step to building a website is to make a folder on your computer and build it inside that folder. The "home page" should be named index.htm or index.html and all links must be relative rather than absolute.
Once the site is working locally, upload the contents of your folder (Not the folder itself!!!) and test.

Always try to use an FTP client such as Filezilla to upload your files as this will allow you to see exactly what is going on. When testing in your browser, don't forget to empty the cache between tests.
Originally Posted by Zer02004 View Post
Thanks for the advice,Zero2004
Please clarify between relative and absolute in simple terms for an idiot.
I have created the web site in 'MS Publisher' and then used the command to 'Publish to the Web' which creates a folder (in my case in My Documents). The folder contains the blue 'E' htm files for each page with the 'Home' page carrying the 'Index' file name. There are then a whole load of other files representing pictures (gif) and graphics etc...
The site works perfectly locally but as as soon as it is uploaded it ceases being a 'site' it becomes just a collection of files (absolute?)..
More guidance would be appreciated.
Old 01-October-2006, 21:02
Zer02004

An absolute link means that a link points directly to a file using a full address. An example of an absolute link:
C:\my webfolder\index_files\mypic.jpg
With the site on your computer, the link will work just fine but upload it and it won't (It will still work for you but not anyone else). This is because the browser expects to find mypic.jpg at C:\my webfolder\index_files\mypic.jpg which of course, visitors to your site won't have.

A relative link means that a link points to a file using only a relative address. An example of a relative address:
\index_files\mypic.jpg
The browser will now look only inside the website itself for a file called mypic.jpg in a folder called index_files.

MS Publisher is a god awful piece of trash when it comes to HTML authoring! NVU is a fully fledged WYSIWYG editor that rivals Dreamweaver and other expensive packages. Best of all, it's completely free.
Old 01-October-2006, 21:28
GeePee

Thanks for the explanation and the recommendation for NVU. It would appear that all my links - when Publisher creates the Web page for publishing to the web in absolute links and I don't feel up to changing everything. I'll have a go at using NVU to rewrite the site, but first could you tell me if it is possible to import some of the already written pages into NVU rather than start afresh.
Thanks again for the prompt advice.
Old 02-October-2006, 01:19
Zer02004

I'm not an avid NVU user (I use Dreamweaver occasionally) but if you open the program, select File>>>Open Web Location and navigate to the index.htm file in the folder you've created on your computer you should be able to access the whole site from there.
Old 02-October-2006, 07:46
GeePee

Thanks a lot. Will try to remember to post an update if and when I get this sorted.
Old 04-October-2006, 15:41
GeePee

Thanks a lot. Will try to remember to post an update if and when I get this sorted.
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Well, I promised. Have now succeeded. Don't know what was wrong in the beginning, 'cos eventually I got logged on with ease using the ftp://friendsname.talktalk.net web address. Uploaded the folders, not the files and all done in a matter of minutes. I do have a problem with the hyperlinks which have all got to be re-written - but at least I know what the problem is.
Thanks all that donated advice.
Old 11-October-2006, 12:25
speedtouchguru

I supervised a class of kids designing web pages in using Publisher once. At the end I showed the kids my handcrafted web page showing how the html was laid out and readable.

Then I showed them what Publisher's HTML looked like....They had a bit of shock!

Tags
123, broadband, christmas, collection, computer, connection, dead, email, failure, files, free, google, home, internet, isp, line, lost, make, offer, online, phone, port, settings, speed, talk, talk talk, talktalk, web, webspace