Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 17-March-2007, 03:18
Zenith

Default Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

WOOHOO!
I followed the instructions from 2-3 posts and finally got it working!
[Full thanks to Iron Duke for the info about editting the firmware file in a hex editor]

I ran into problems with the updates and so to avoid problems for other people, here is my step-by-step HOWTO for flashing a BT Homehub (HH) to 6.1.9.6
  • You need to download a couple of files before you start since you need to do the flash update while offline (right click each link > Save As)
    Speedtouch Update Wizard 4.4.2.1
    6.1.6.9 firmware file
    Hexedit
  • Unzip the Speedtouch Update Wizard to somewhere on your hard drive.
  • Run the HexEdit.exe file. It will ask for a file to open, so tell it to open the ZZMYAA6.196.bli file.
  • You'll have a black window with white text. Using your arrow keys, move along the first line until you're highlighting the 5 of the second 51
    Code:
    42 4c 49 32 32 33 51 51 30

Change it to 52 by typing over it.

42 4c 49 32 32 33 51 52 30
    Now go down the page to where it says BANT-7 on the right (line 130)
    Code:
    9c f3 ab f8 08 06 42 41 4e 54 2d 37 

Change it to 5a by typing over it.

9c f3 ab f8 08 06 42 41 4e 54 2d 5a
    Click on "File" and choose "Save As". Save the file somewhere on your hard drive, but change the .bli on the end to .bin
  • Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
  • Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
  • Click on the "Use the following IP address" option and enter the following in the boxes.
    Code:
    IP address:      192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask:     255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.254
    Click "OK" then "OK".
  • Connect the HH to your desktop PC with the yellow ended CAT5 cable.
  • Plug in the power of the HH.
  • Go to the folder you unzipped the Speedtouch Update Wizard to.
  • Doubleclick on upgradeST.exe
  • Click on "Next"
  • Let the wizard detect your HH. When you click on "Next" you will be asked for the login of the router.
    Login: admin
    Pass: admin
  • Click on the "Have Disk" button, and find the ZZMYAA6.196.bin file that you created earlier. That's the .bin file, NOT the .bli file.
    You'll know if you editted it correctly earlier because it will say 6.1.6.9 for the version, and 2.0.0 for the config. If it doesn't say those figures, you need to go back and re-edit the file in HexEdit as you've got something slightly wrong somewhere.
  • Click "Next".
  • This is your final chance to chicken out before you start the update. If you're ready, click "Next" and let the update run.
  • If all goes well, you will see the firmware being uploaded to the router and then being installed on the router.
  • Ignore the error message at the end because the wizard is lying to you.
  • Close the wizard.
  • Go to Start > Run ... and type telnet 192.168.1.254 then click "OK".
  • Login using the same login details as before...
  • Look at the text, and if you see 'Speedtouch 7G' and 6.1.6.9 in the top right corner then you have SUCCESSFULLY updated the firmware of your HH and can now proudly call it a 7G.
  • Type exit to leave telnet.
  • Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Local Area Connection -(rightclick)- Properties
  • Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.
  • Click on the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option and then click "OK" and "OK" again.
  • Plug in the phone line into the 'broadband' socket of the router.
  • Open your browser and type in http://192.168.1.254
  • Click on Speedtouch on the blue menu on the left.
  • Click on the "Set Up" link under 'Pick a task...'
  • Click the "Next" button on the popup window
  • Select Routed PPP then click "Next"
  • Select 0.38 from the list for VPI/VCI
  • Select PPP over ATM (PPPoA) for 'Connection Type'
  • Enter the username and password for your ISP broadband login. Click "Next"

I think it is self-explanatory from that point on. That basically means that you've got Internet capability.

Have a look around the menus. You've got far more options available to you.
Oh yeah, I got my wifi working on WPA-PSK without the slightest problem.
I don't have a hub phone so I can't comment about that side of things.

Have fun boys and girls!

Last edited by Zenith; 17-March-2007 at 03:27.
Old 17-March-2007, 03:54
adriandaz

I got the router upgraded to non-BT firmware, but now I cannot login to it using admin/admin, can I reset the details?
Old 17-March-2007, 04:03
Zenith

Try Administrator and a blank password.
Old 17-March-2007, 05:11
Rix

Took at least 30 Retrys on the updater getting the rooter into update mode, but it's all working now. Safe Zenith (y)
Old 17-March-2007, 08:51
Iron Duke

Can anyone help me. I've connected the 7G to the BB line but it keeps saying that the DSL is not synchronised. It's as if it's getting no "dialling tone" and so won't try to connect.
My Netgear DG834G works quite happily and I've even changed the cable and microfilter to no avail.
I am on AOL and my settings are vc/vp 0.38 and PPPoA
This is really bugging me now, any ideas?

Iron Duke
Old 17-March-2007, 10:10
Anonymous

Can anyone help me. I've connected the 7G to the BB line but it keeps saying that the DSL is not synchronised. It's as if it's getting no "dialling tone" and so won't try to connect.
My Netgear DG834G works quite happily and I've even changed the cable and microfilter to no avail.
I am on AOL and my settings are vc/vp 0.38 and PPPoA
This is really bugging me now, any ideas?

Iron Duke
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Are you using the ZZN1AA6.196.bli update? When I tried to use the ZZMYAA6.196.bli update my DSL would not connect, but using the other it worked. May be unrelated but just an idea
Old 17-March-2007, 10:15
Subby

I want to boost the wireless signal on the router, can this be done with the original firmware? and if so what telnet commands?
Old 17-March-2007, 13:11
slime

A note of the 2 different firmwares:

I flashed both and for me the ZZN1AA6.196.bli file is more suited to the Home Hub because of the VoIP options. When I flashed the other file (ZZMYAA6.196.bli) the Telephony part of the software was very different and in my opinion not suited to the Hub. If you do not have the Hub Phone then I doubt if it matters!

Saying that, I still can not get the Hub Phone (or any other DECT) to register to the hub now - even reflashed back to BT firmware, registered the phone to the hub, then reflashed back to the 7G firmware but the phone just flashes - the problem seems to be that the hub refuses to go into DECT reg mode - there must be a way to do this using telnet?

@Subby,

Changing the wireless channel to 12 usually helps but not sure if that is what you are after?

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 17-March-2007, 14:32
adriandaz

Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Still not having it :/
Old 17-March-2007, 15:20
adriandaz

ahh flashed it again with the recommend firmware and all is well.

However, my ISP. Karoo by Kingston Communications uses a VPI/VCI of 1,50 so how can I setup a PPPoA connection using telnet?

thanks,
Old 17-March-2007, 15:36
slime

Hi guys,
Not had time to do anything this days as i just moved house .
I'm travelling also from Friday till 16. When I'll back , I'll resume. I have a idea how to fix the dect too.Seems the dect is looking for a special DECT id (that's why other Dect phone not working with the bt home hub and also the dect phone not working with other dect stations). I've extracted all firmware and eeprom needed to reflash the dect handset with the generic one too . When i'm back i'll try to make sure all ok. Then my work is complete.
Originally Posted by florin_m View Post
Hi florin_m,

Any luck with this - after re-reading this entire thread I think you are 50 steps in front of me!!!

Do you think the hub (with 7G firmware) is ever going in DECT reg mode? It sounds like you have found that it is but that the hub phone is now not using a correct ID? Any more info?

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 17-March-2007, 17:15
Mikeyskona

Unhappy Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

Hi Guys, I need a little help. I have the home hub (which i was using with BT, until i moved to eclipse). I succesfully unlocked to the 7G and signed up with sipgate for the voip. However. Since the flash. The router wont ring phone1 for voip calls (i have no hub phone so this is a big prob) any commands i could poss use to fix this if its a config issue?

ty in advance

Mike
Old 17-March-2007, 19:05
mikeyskona

Angry Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

Ok. Forget that last post, its useless now, lol.

I followed someone elses advice (flash back to a home-hub , make sure everythings configured there, then flash back). Half way through flashing back to a home hub, the hub crashed, and is now completely useless (turn it on, all lights are lit, nothing else happens). Ah well. it was worth a shot... Back to my 3 aol piece of crap
Old 17-March-2007, 22:22
Iron Duke

I've tried the Different firmware and still no joy. If I switch to PPPoE mode and run the internet configuration check ATM and Ethernet pass with green ticks but DSL and PPP fail.

I've Telnet'd into the box and checked some settings and it looks like the internet is connected: atm_Internet is connected to the net but something is missing.

atm_Internet (which is settings for connecting to the ISP) links to another service called RELAY which points to 0.0.0.0

I'm thinking of creating a new ppp interface and linking that directly to atm_internet

Does anybody have a clue what I can do to connect?

Are there any special methods used by ADSL modems to see if the line is active?

Cheers

Iron Duke
Old 17-March-2007, 22:22
TerMak

Ok. Forget that last post, its useless now, lol.

I followed someone elses advice (flash back to a home-hub , make sure everythings configured there, then flash back). Half way through flashing back to a home hub, the hub crashed, and is now completely useless (turn it on, all lights are lit, nothing else happens). Ah well. it was worth a shot... Back to my 3 aol piece of crap
Originally Posted by mikeyskona View Post
Not to worry...All will be sorted. That happened to me, for three or four days I thought the hub was gone. Be patient. You may have to do this over and over again but it might just work with one trial. Setup a static IP. press and hold the wireless association button with the hub on, switch off power while holding the W.A.B. Switch back on then release the button. The hub will now be in setup mode. That's assuming your PC can still see that the hub is present.
If not, instead of releasing the button when you switch the hub on, keep holding it, until all lights go off except for the sync one, then do the upgrade.

Else try the process with the lights off. if you flick the switch, where your hub is connected, constantly- say 4 to 5 times or maybe more, you will notice there will be times where the lights will remain off but the brodband and internet will be dim. I don't exactly know which one will work but I got mine back working by repeating this silly process. wish you luck.
Old 17-March-2007, 22:28
TerMak

I've tried the Different firmware and still no joy. If I switch to PPPoE mode and run the internet configuration check ATM and Ethernet pass with green ticks but DSL and PPP fail.

I've Telnet'd into the box and checked some settings and it looks like the internet is connected: atm_Internet is connected to the net but something is missing.

atm_Internet (which is settings for connecting to the ISP) links to another service called RELAY which points to 0.0.0.0

I'm thinking of creating a new ppp interface and linking that directly to atm_internet

Does anybody have a clue what I can do to connect?

Are there any special methods used by ADSL modems to see if the line is active?

Cheers

Iron Duke
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
hi

I don't know if anyone has managed to connect with aol yet. I use sky and all is well. In my exprience I have tried to connect a different speedtouch modem on a friends pc that's on aol but couldn't until I downloaded drivers from aol. maybe it could be the case here.
Old 18-March-2007, 18:45
UNOMAN

May I give you all my thanks for all info supplied to unlock the BT HUB.

I'm not able to upgrade the firmware as the upgrader reports it has to shut down when the file is inputed!

I am using ZZNYAA6.196 & BANT-7_R619WWmgcp_upgrade - but will upgrade with BT files with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 18-March-2007, 19:39
TerMak

May I give you all my thanks for all info supplied to unlock the BT HUB.

I'm not able to upgrade the firmware as the upgrader reports it has to shut down when the file is inputed!

I am using ZZNYAA6.196 & BANT-7_R619WWmgcp_upgrade - but will upgrade with BT files with no problem.

Any help would be appreciated.
Originally Posted by UNOMAN View Post
Hie

I used this upgrade wizard wit no problems;
http://m8s-rates.com/speedtouch/utilities/UpgradeWiz/
Old 18-March-2007, 20:36
Iron Duke

It seems I might have a hardware problem.

I tried my homehub at a neighbours house who is on BT, just replaced her hub with mine and used her PSU.

No joy, with the connection (still no sync) so I reflashed the hub back to BT's 6.1.1.M firmware and tried to connect again.

I looked at my line stats as gathered by my Netgear DG834G router and I have attenuation of 35dB and SNR of 26dB so my line is fine (1 mile from exchange; 2Mb line)

I have also ruled out a faulty PSU as I used hers which works fine with her hub

Also, when I plugged her hub back in the lights all flashed for a minute then it started setting up - mine just goes straight into it.

I've tested the BB socket in the hub with a multimeter and it's fine as is one of the internal fuses (not sure about the other one as I thought it was a transistor)

I might have a go at tracing back along the signal line to find any burnt out caps but I think it's dead.

Any possibility of using it as a repeater for my network so I can take advantage of it's Printer and NAS goodies?

Iron Duke
Old 18-March-2007, 20:45
adriandaz

Got it all working! on Karoo, which doesn't use the BT network, I had to configure the router, download the config and edit it, then upload it, as I had to change the VPI/VCI to 1/50.

However I do not have one of those phones, so can't bugger about with it further, the router attains better line stats (higher snr) than my Billion 7402A router though
Old 18-March-2007, 23:20
UNOMAN

Termak,

I tried your option but still no luck! I've got to the stage now of giving up!
Old 19-March-2007, 01:28
studioeng

WOOHOO!
I followed the instructions from 2-3 posts and finally got it working!
[Full thanks to Iron Duke for the info about editting the firmware file in a hex editor]

I ran into problems with the updates and so to avoid problems for other people, here is my step-by-step HOWTO for flashing a BT Homehub (HH) to 6.1.9.6

Have fun boys and girls!
This worked a treat for me, I'm now using the '7G' on Tesco Broadband Fan-Bloody-Tastic!!

Does anyone know how I can set up the telephony for Sipgate; I got most of the settings, but I can't work out wat the URI setting is; thank you

TOP MAN !!!!! I owe you a beer !!
Old 19-March-2007, 02:30
AdamG

This is obviously all useless for all those who wish to use the hub phone, the BT board is obviously different from the 7G, it isnt going to work in any possible way as theyre was no wireless dect phone with any of the Speedtouch range. Now people have started using the method of changing the firmware headers it wont be long till BT change the bootloader and make it look for a specific key inside the firmware. People still need to concentrate on trying to get the BT firmware to work rather than rendering half theyre hub useless by using the 7G firmware.
Old 19-March-2007, 02:40
imarcus

Hooray!! I finally got my hub to connect via Tiscali.

Have been trying to upgrade the modified 7g firmware for a couple of days now, but it kept failing at 11%.

Had the ethernet cable plugged into port 2 on the hub, I thought it was failing because i'd been using the bt uploader, as there isnt a speedtouch one for the mac. Spent 2 hours building a P.O.S Dell windows pc out of spare parts, to run the speedtouch updater on only to find that it didnt work either! Changed the ethernet cable over to the other port and bingo it worked 1st time GRRRR!!!

Next problem was the default admin password wouldnt work, that was solved by using a capital 'A' for Administrator lol. have flushed the user list and configured the DNS using Telnet.

Massive Thanks to Everyone who has contributed to getting this thing hacked!!

Happy surfing folks, Mark

Last edited by imarcus; 19-March-2007 at 02:42. Reason: spelling
Old 19-March-2007, 10:21
studioeng

This is obviously all useless for all those who wish to use the hub phone, the BT board is obviously different from the 7G, it isnt going to work in any possible way as theyre was no wireless dect phone with any of the Speedtouch range. Now people have started using the method of changing the firmware headers it wont be long till BT change the bootloader and make it look for a specific key inside the firmware. People still need to concentrate on trying to get the BT firmware to work rather than rendering half theyre hub useless by using the 7G firmware.
Originally Posted by AdamG View Post
I've also noticed that the samba part isn't working anymore aswell; which used to be on \\192.168.1.253.

Maybe these are the parts which BT are not including with the GPL files; since they added them seperately.

Well this can go one of two routes now, either someone modifies the 7G firmware to work with the Hub Phone, DECT phones and Samba; or BT decide to lock it further; at which people will just break it again... I can see the more likely conclusion...
Old 19-March-2007, 10:37
slime

Agree 100% - it is nice to have the hub working with my ISP (well done all) but to be honest, I am happy with my Netgear! So really I want to use the hub on my existing network to add Hub phone (VoIP) and NAS and Print Server which the Netgear doesn't provide!

I have gone back to the BT firmware because at least the hub phone registers with the hub - just need to figure out how to get sipgate to accept the registration now as I am getting "479 We Dont accept private IP contacts" as the hub is sending 192.168.0.x as my IP Address (telnet in and do a voip state or voice state to see why!).

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 19-March-2007, 14:02
AdamG

I've also noticed that the samba part isn't working anymore aswell; which used to be on \\192.168.1.253.

Maybe these are the parts which BT are not including with the GPL files; since they added them seperately.

Well this can go one of two routes now, either someone modifies the 7G firmware to work with the Hub Phone, DECT phones and Samba; or BT decide to lock it further; at which people will just break it again... I can see the more likely conclusion...
Originally Posted by studioeng View Post
This will never happen, you cant just include samba and the dect software into the 7g firmware, it has to be compiled along with all the other code and then put into an image the bootloader will accept, like I said earlier the BT firmware just needs to be overcome, it will happen, bt probably have a script running inside the homehub on the kernel level which checks the radius domains, Im sure hexxing the BT firmware and disabling the check would allow everyone to use whatever ISP they wanted, but then again this is a long shot, if BT released the whole homehub code like Netgear and other respectible companies do, we could use a toolchain and build our own and sort this once and for all.
Old 19-March-2007, 14:20
slime

...the BT board is obviously different from the 7G, it isnt going to work in any possible way as theyre was no wireless dect phone with any of the Speedtouch range.
Not strictly true m8 - the 7G did have a DECT phone but I agree that it can't be the same as the BT Hub phone 1010!

http://www.thomson.net/EN/Home/MiniS...VoIP%20Gateway

...and...

http://www.thomson.net/NR/rdonlyres/...C74C8/0/7G.pdf

Cheers,
Slime.
Old 19-March-2007, 18:18
UNOMAN

Ok I've done it. Now connected to Tiscali and W/less all working ok!!

I have noticed that the lights on the Hub all work expect the W/less one which is not lit - is this normal?

Once again many thanks for the help given by everyone!!
Old 19-March-2007, 18:23
eddiec

Hi all,

I've been following this thread for a while and i attempted the 7G conversion with good success until I disconnected it and tried to reconnect it. It seems o be permanently stuck in kernel mode and cycles through a sequence of lights continuously. I can hold a full network connection specifying an IP address for it but when I put it back to automatic it shows a limited connection. either way i can no longer connect to it with telnet, a browser or the upgrade wizard.

I believe its had its chips

Ed.C

Tags
adsl, adsl2, belkin, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, isp, key, laptop, lock, make, netgear, network, product, router, settings, sipgate, speed, speedtouch, speedtouch 7g, tiscali, voip, web, windows, wireless