Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 08-July-2010, 14:09
Tallyman

Default Tiscali/TalkTalk automatically 'regrade'?

I hope someone can help here, but this is on behalf of my Mother-in-Law (yes, there are some nice ones ), & is a bit long.

At the end of June the 1571 service disappeared from her phoneline, though she still got the intermittent tone to say a message was there but we couldn't retrieve it. Spent loads of time on phonecalls & established that the service was discontinued on June 26th and they would reinstate it immediately, give it 24 hours. Seven days later & after 4 more promises we'd had enough & decided to cancel tiscali & get MAC code so we could go elsewhere - this was where the fun began.

The disconnections department advised us that the account had been 'regraded' on June 26th - no change in charges, just renewed for another year or so. They could provide no details but insisted it was probably done on-line. Checking the spam box of her emails I found a 'congratulations on joining' email dated June 26th that she'd never opened/seen, - implied she was a new customer (leave modem on for 10 days' stuff).

My M-i-L is not particularly comfortable with computers and would never have filled in any on-line forms. I cannot find any trace of other emails that may have been sent, but, to me, the whole thing is very fishy.

I couldn't take things any higher with the 'manager' I spoke to and he said we would have to write to Birmingham head office.

I'm in the process of composing the letter, but has anyone come across a similar situation of have any advice on anything else we can do?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
Old 08-July-2010, 17:32

Default Re: Tiscali/TalkTalk automatically 'regrade'?

I have not tried writing to them but often this approach works well, let us know how it goes
Old 08-July-2010, 18:30
Tallyman

Many thanks for reply. I've posted the letter now so I'll give them 7 days to respond but shall use your method if no joy.
Old 09-July-2010, 13:58
Screamager

It sounds likely that talk talk have taken over the line so may now be (fully llu= FMPF) if so then it will be more difficult to switch to another isp in the future, as the line would have to ne disconnected from talk talk llu kit at the exchange first, so you would have to contact bt for a return to donor, or the post office may be slightly cheaper and it's only a 1 month contract before you can switch supplier again

As for tiscali they always where a sad joke of an isp, i would not hold my breath on getting satisfaction from them ,
the ispa route may not be possible anymore as tiscali are no longer trading and are not now on their members list, you may be better dealing with the other bunch of idiots talktalk their ombudsman is otelo,http://www.otelo.org.uk/pages/13contactus.php you could also give ofcom a ring too about it as if they fail to give you a mac code within 5 working days without good reason they are in breech of the ofcom code of practice

Old 18-July-2010, 11:39
Tallyman

Well no reply so seeing what else I can do. The ISPA route is a no-go as neither Tiscali or TalkTalk are members - wonder why?

I've emailed Otelo & we'll see where that gets us.

thanks again
Old 18-July-2010, 12:38

it costs 5 mins of time to fill out the ISPA form, tiscali were members so I suspect ISPA has a way to pass on the complaint direct to them, worth a try?
Old 18-July-2010, 12:48
Tallyman

I'll give it a go, it was just that the the first ISPA page says they can't process claims against companies who are not members of ISPA and neither Tiscali or TalkTalk are listed, though Tiscali does still appear in their drop-down box when selecting. Worth a try though, thanks again.
Old 26-July-2010, 10:12
Tallyman

Just as a (hopefully) final followup. Received a useless reply from Customer Services (Tiscali) so phoned their disconnection line again and finally got through to someone who made some sense. They had received ISPA's complaint so maybe it got their interest, but got a result in that they agreed that the contract shouldn't have started afresh - it was because of the changeover and slight price increase when TalkTalk took over Tiscali. So now on a rolling 30-day contract again and got free 1571 for next 12 months and a 25 goodwill payment, so see how it goes.

thanks again for your assistance.
Old 26-July-2010, 16:18

cool, glad you got a (hopefully!) good outcome

thanks also for letting us know about the ISPA route, it has worked well in the past and has proved much easier than trying to get hold of someone who could help via their call center. It's good to know that is can still be used (for how long we shall see)

do let us know any updates, fingers crossed it's all sorted

Tags
bt, cancellation, free, isp, law, line, modem, ofcom, regrade, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali