Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 06-January-2002, 11:00
fridgebuzz

Default SITCOMS - So where'd all the good ones go?

OK.

Is it just me?

I find that there NEVER seems to be a really GOOD sitcom on TV anymore..............

Now I know, that like most things "comedy" and what one finds "funny" are purely subjective things.

But I'm sure that GENERALLY everyone agrees that there's not been a consistently GOOD sitcom on TV for years......

.......just lately I can honestly say I only "laughed" uncontrollably at "Happiness" with Steve Whitehouse in. Before that I have to go back to "Alan Partridge" with Steve Coogan.

Perfect World with Paul Kaye was OK too.

But even all of the above really pale into comedic insignificance compared to the classics like.............

Fawlty Towers........Rising Damp.......Porridge...............Reggie Perrin..............Dads Army............

I find myself watching American Sitcoms now more and more........I loved 3rd Rock From the Sun. I watch Adam Sandler when I can too, Seinfeld is cool too.............

anyway I just wondered what peoples views on this were.....any recent comedies you liked
Old 06-January-2002, 12:20
Screamager

I liked The Office myself. Brilliant! A second series hopefully is in the offing...

Ann
Old 06-January-2002, 19:33
Aynglfyre

I used to like Butterflies, and Bread was good too.

Budgie remember that? Adam Faith.

I think we need some good comedy writers these days.

Things are too violent in the sitcoms these days, or too realistic to be funny anymore.

Mork and Mindy. Loved that!
Old 06-January-2002, 20:10
Dicky

Smile

If Morks finger wasn't a lethal weapon then I don't know what is.
Old 06-January-2002, 23:30
Waves goodbye

Am I the only one who remembers "MIND YOUR LANGUAGE!".....?

Man, that was one "near the knuckle" show

Wouldn't get away with that nowadays !

Just found a link to jog a few memories :

http://www.gplus.co.uk/listings/inde...our%20Language

Last edited by MegaTsunami; 06-January-2002 at 23:34.
Old 06-January-2002, 23:53
fridgebuzz

Yeah!

I knew I'd missed that off my list MT

And that's jogged my memory...........what about George & Mildred...........How could I be so BLIND
Old 07-January-2002, 00:12
squidgy

I don't know what things like UK Gold are like, I've always thought that satellite and cable TV is a bit of a rip off, but like everyone says, there's some great classic TV around.

So I'd recommend In-Movies.com. They've got Absolutely Fabulous, Blackadder, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Captain Scarlett, Cold Feet, Fawlty Towers, Friends, League of Gentlemen, Men Behaving Badly, Queer as Folk, Randall & Hopkirk, Royle Family, Simpsons, The Sopranos, South Park, Space 1999 and X-Files .... to name but a few, that lot ought to keep you amused for a few months. There's a danger they might even turn you into a movie buff as well, like they have with me ....
Old 07-January-2002, 00:26
SabeanQueen

Ah yes, Blackadder I thoroughly enjoyed those Though I found the last episode of the Blackadder Goes Forth series very moving, actually brought me to tears.

I do like the Royle Family, and Only Fools and Horses to me is always very well written. I can't actually put my finger on a current sitcom that I do enjoy though
Old 07-January-2002, 00:56
Professor Yaffle

Thought I'd replied to this but that was on net4nowt .

Fawlty Towers and Blackadder (second series) are my favourites. Recently Coupling has made me laugh and there was something a year or two back with Charlotte Coleman in on BBC2 which I can't remember the name of - ( her and husband had moved to the village where her family lived and he became a photographer. Title and co star completely escape me. ) Black Books on C4 was good as well. None of them are ever likely to become classics though
Old 07-January-2002, 00:59
fridgebuzz

That was Paul Mcgann I think ono
Old 07-January-2002, 01:24
Aynglfyre

I enjoy the newish sitcom where the husband's a dentist with wife and 2 kids. sorry cant remember the title of it. thingie wannamaker is the wife. (sp?) well it is late.

Very funny proggie tho.
Old 07-January-2002, 01:29
fridgebuzz

Eeek Angel.........I'm afraid that's the type of Sitcom I think is ruining the genre.....

.....I mean it's always nice middle class - slightly kooky, eccentric...people........you know..............

........not a problem in the world.........

It's as if their just "reading" lines....there's no balls, no pathos......

I think that's what makes great humour...pathos...

Most of the great sitcom's characters had it.
Old 07-January-2002, 10:49
我們被注定

Selwyn Forggit, Till Death Us Do Part, Rising Damp, Love Thy Neighbour (Before you flame me it was the white guy who always came out the loser ) Open All hours. Some Mothers Do Ave Em and on and on the list could go
Yes there were loads of comedies when I was younger that had me laughing.
I to tend to avoid the US comedies as I think they're not really that funny. But what a funny comedy "Soap" was

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 19-January-2002, 00:23
fridgebuzz

ann thanks for mentioning the Office......

I'm watching the re-runs.........I missed the first run.

SOOOOOOOO FUNNY!

Tags
bbc, cable, files, happiness