Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 29-June-2011, 08:06
oliver111

Default Wifi connection to Orange Livebox

I use Orange broadband with their livebox on my PC, and have a wifi connection to the broadband to my laptop.

I want to add another laptop. Where can I find the necessary security code stored?
Old 29-June-2011, 12:18
Screamager

Default Re: Wifi connection to Orange Livebox

Hiya.

The security code should be on the bottom of the Router/live box, its 26 digits I believe.

I don't have a live box, but my Router uses the same code for all various wireless connections.
Old 01-July-2011, 11:40
oliver111

Thank you for finding the security code for me.

The laptop I now want to connect is a Mac, and it asks for a "WPA password", and it does not recongnise the 26 digit security code. Any ideas about the WPA password?
Old 01-July-2011, 16:05
Screamager

Hiya.

I am not conversant with Macs and/or Airport (Assumed), but from what I understand, there is a number 1 button on the back of the Livebox. This is pressed in for about 5 seconds and then released, to put it into register mode which pairs up both devices together for setting up a wireless connection.

The security/password code on the bottom of the Livebox is a WEP password code, you are being asked for a WPA password code on the Mac which is more secure than WEP. I use my own custom generated (8 - 64 characters) Encryption codes for WPA, which I setup in my Router wireless settings and is used by any wireless device that I allow onto my network.

I dont know what security/password code you used on your other Laptop to get it connected, but you must have used one, whether it be WEP or WPA. I would assume it was the WEP code on the bottom of the Livebox that was used. Unless you are running the wireless connection unsecured, lol.

There should be an Encryption setting/dropdown box on the Mac wireless setup, to change the encryption from WPA to WEP and vice versa, so look for that setting and change it to wep, if applicable.

Your Livebox may possibly show the Encryption security/password code and Encryption type used, in the Wireless setup section. If its different to the WEP code on the bottom of the Livebox and is set for WPA and not WEP, use that code for the WPA password on the Mac. This is assuming the Livebox actually supports WPA.

Anyway, I found these 2 web pages on Orange's website that may help better than I can, the first one is for setting up the Livebox and the Macs Airport card (Assumed) and the second one is a Troubleshooting page.

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/su...ersonal/240905

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/su...ersonal/241091

Let us know how you get on, lol.
Old 10-July-2011, 16:31
oliver111

Hello Johnny
Problem solved - thank you.
I did not know, or had forgotten, about the button on the livebox.
The mac and pc laptops connected fine with the 26 digit Security Code, and the button. So I did not need the Orange help pages in the end.
Can you, or anyone else out there, help me with the email addressses that I wrote on this forum a couple of days earlier, please.
Old 18-July-2011, 12:00
Screamager

Hiya.

Thats great news, glad you got it sorted out.

Checking your other 2 posts.

Tags
broadband, connection, email, laptop, network, orange, router, security, settings, web, wireless