Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 08-December-2005, 14:48
shornbuc

Default Can't get a Netgear wireless router to work at all with Wanadoo

I have recently set up several wireless Netgear DG834G routers for friends with little / no issues. Last night I tried to get my sister's wanadoo broadband to work via this new router and couldn't get it to work at all. I went as far as resetting the router via the reset button. I know the user name and password are correct as they work on the standard broadband modem. The router can tell there is a broadband connection of @500mbps and download speed of 256mbps but cannot seem to log onto wanadoo.

Is there a setting I am not using on the router that is required for Wanadoo to work like MTU of 1400 u need for AOL to work well ?

Last edited by shornbuc; 08-December-2005 at 14:49. Reason: spelling
Old 08-December-2005, 15:36
nemmie

Default Re: Can't get a Netgear wireless router to work at all with Wanadoo

What error message are you getting.

I set up the same router last night and got a chap authentication failure repeatedly even though all the entries were correct.

Eventually I deleted the username in the router settings and reentered it..Hey presto it worked. I think the router set up might be a little flakey.
Old 08-December-2005, 16:46
shornbuc

What error message are you getting.

I set up the same router last night and got a chap authentication failure repeatedly even though all the entries were correct.

Eventually I deleted the username in the router settings and reentered it..Hey presto it worked. I think the router set up might be a little flakey.
Originally Posted by nemmie
From memory the message was " LCP down " I think when u asked it to verify the connection. What u say about the router settings makes some sense as at first it would not accept the original password I had on this router at my house "admin" and "password" , I had to reset it 4 times to get it to accept "admin" and "password" again ? Then when I was finally in it just doesn't work with all the settings at default. wondered if there is a setting I need to alter ?
Old 08-December-2005, 18:11
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Might need the latest 'firmware' version to update it ?
Old 08-December-2005, 19:54
nemmie

LCP Down is what happens after chap authentication fails.

If there is a firmware update it might be advisable but I would try using my method first. If you use the test function after inputting ISP username and password then you get a visual log of exactly what is happening.
Old 02-October-2006, 01:59
peebs

Hi,
I live in France and use Wanadoo/Orange. I had lots of problems with the LiveBox and finally replaced it with a NetGear DG834PN. It works OK but every now and again it drops the connection (no internet PPP light) and can only be reconnected by switching the power off and on again. It sometimes runs for days with no problem but other times fails every few hours. Tonight it lost connection and re-powering would not force to re-connect. I just left it on and used a dial up but suddenly, and for the first time, it reconnected itself without me re-powering it.
I don't get any error messages. I just loose the PPP light and cant open pages on the web. I have upgraded the firmware.
Any ideas?
Sounds like Wanadoo UK is as bad as Wanadoo France so far as customer service is concerned. The technicians are absolutely worthless.
Regards,
Peebs
Old 30-December-2006, 17:57
05gl0501

I have recently set up several wireless Netgear DG834G routers for friends with little / no issues. Last night I tried to get my sister's wanadoo broadband to work via this new router and couldn't get it to work at all. I went as far as resetting the router via the reset button. I know the user name and password are correct as they work on the standard broadband modem. The router can tell there is a broadband connection of @500mbps and download speed of 256mbps but cannot seem to log onto wanadoo.

Is there a setting I am not using on the router that is required for Wanadoo to work like MTU of 1400 u need for AOL to work well ?
Originally Posted by shornbuc View Post
;
Old 31-January-2007, 17:33

I've set up every make of router. It's what I do for a living.

Netgear without doubt drops more than any other I've seen, while Linksys is by far the most reliable.

Personally, I'm running on Virgin Media / Telewest / NTL, and plan to bin my Netgear WPN824 as it simply doesn't work anywhere near as reliable as every other router I've had. Netgear Support are no use either, much to my horror.

I have the WPN824 running on an X10 system (home automation) just to get it to reset itself when it goes down!

Best of luck with your routers guys.
Old 11-January-2008, 14:37
Mat Bourne

I had this exact problem with my Netgear DG834GT router.

It appeared I had incorrectly typed in the password for internet log on. What had happened is I had changed the logon password to that of my own and was incorrectly typing in the password originally provided to me by my ISP.

I suggest you call your ISP to double check you are entering your password correctly and that you have not changed it since your initial setup.

Hope this help everyone as this was very frustrating for me!!

LCP Down is what happens after chap authentication fails.

If there is a firmware update it might be advisable but I would try using my method first. If you use the test function after inputting ISP username and password then you get a visual log of exactly what is happening.
Originally Posted by nemmie View Post
Old 23-January-2009, 11:52
septictoad

Hold the reset button in oan the back of the router for 10 seconds while it is on and wait for it to restart. use set-up wizard and auto detect, enter your adsl name and password, now you find its set up but your internet light is not lit on your router, go to LAN IP setup and change your RIP Direction To BOTH and RIP version to RIP 2. try that.
Old 12-January-2011, 17:44
Dylan

I have had nothing but problems from orange with Live Box. The thing kept turning itself off! Supposed to be due to bandwith fluctuations that it can't take. Two live boxes later I was sent a Netgear router and lost my second line!!!!!!! Router worked fine until I realised it was an open network. Changed security settings and connected my wife's blackberry and it shut down the wireless network!!!! Apparently not compatable, so on to the next router. Now I am told the software in my computer is not compatable with the security settings of the netgear and have to stay wired but atleast they are sending me another livebox. I don't know for sure but I think I'm going roound in circles!

Tags
adsl, aol, bad, broadband, computer, connection, dg834g, failure, firmware, home, internet, isp, line, lost, make, modem, netgear, network, orange, router, security, settings, software, speed, virgin, web, wireless