Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 24-May-2008, 14:55
racephotos

Default How long to activate "PAYG" dialup?

I have just registered a friend's PC with Orange for "Pay As You Go" Dialup Internet connection.

Two days on, when I try to go on the Internet, the modem is returning, "there is no dial tone".

I have connected a phone to the modem, and I can dial out, which seems to imply the modem is working okay.

In fact I have tried several modems without success.

Emailed Orange, but no reply as yet.

Any help much appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 24-May-2008, 16:06
Screamager

Default Re: How long to activate "PAYG" dialup?

I think there is some confusion here.

PAYG dialup simply requires your PC to be pluged into the phone socket. Unless it is very old it will have a built-in modem.

If your PC says no dialtone detected, and a phone tested in the same wall socket works OK, it's not Orange's fault.

Are you sure you are talking about modems? It sounds like you may be trying to use a DSL filter - you shouldn't use one of these - just connect straight into the wall socket.
Old 24-May-2008, 19:33
racephotos

Hi snoozy.

Thanks for geting on my case.

No I am doing everything right, I think. Famous last words.

I have several computers of my own on a network. Using a Netgear router and a WG111T Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter.

I actually used the adapter to get an internet connection for my friend's PC so that I could initially register him for PAYG and get a username and password for him.

Chicken and egg situation, how do you set up a PAYG internet connect when you don't already have one?

When I did connect up my friend's computer I came straight from the phone socket with the cable, no filters. The RJ-11 plug goes straight into a socket in the modem.

The PC has the modem inserted in a PCI slot. It's a HSP56 Micromodem.

I have checked all the properties and all the setting all seem to be in order.

When I click on the Internet Explorer icon on the desktop, the connection dialogue box comes up, showing all the correct details along with the phone number - 08440564000.

It's when I click on the connect button that I do not get the connection.

I thought my problems might be because Orange take several days to activate the account.

From what you are saying this is not the case, and I need to look for a possible hardware problem on the computer.

If you can thing of anything else that I might try, I would appreciate it.

Thank you in anticipation.
Old 24-May-2008, 20:29
Austin_KW

Try a different provider (tiscali etc). I does not cost anything to sign up and is activated immediately.

Check the wiring on the cable. Some older modems/cables were wired non standard and connected bt pins 2,5 to the outside pair rather than the middle pins on the rj11.
Old 25-May-2008, 00:08
Screamager

For testing just set the dialed number to your mobile phone and see if it rings - but first go into the modem properties and tell it not to check for dialtone before dialing. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326681

Disable Dial Tone Detection
If you cannot determine the cause of the "No Dial Tone" error message, it may be possible to work around the issue by disabling the dial tone detection of your modem. To disable dial tone detection:
1. Click Start, click Control Panel
2. Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Phone and Modem Options.
3. Click the Modem tab, click your modem on the list of installed modems, and then click Properties.
4. Click the Modem tab, click to clear the Wait for dial tone before dialing check box, and then click OK.

Also you should be able to set the modem activity to come through your computer speaker so you can hear if there's a dialtone for yourself.

Are you sure that the Internet connection you have IE using is using the modem you currently have installed? Bring up the connection window (where you are seeing the phone number) and click properties. In there you can select your modem and configure it.
Old 26-May-2008, 09:28
racephotos

My first posting on the Forum, and I am right impressed by the promtness of the replies and the quality on of the suggestions.

Hooray, the PC has finally got a Internet connection.

The only downside is that I am not 100% sure how I did it.

Yes, I followed all your suggestions, and I seemed to have everything in order.

Must have tried six different Internal modems and as many cables, then out of the blue, one started to dial out.

I know, "get a life mate", he-he, if it's working don't knock it.

By the way, had a nice email from Orange offering help which is again nice to know.

Again, thanks to one and all.

Tags
bt, cable, computer, connection, email, internet, mobile, modem, netgear, network, orange, phone, router, tiscali, wireless