Old 08-June-2008, 21:55
pobman

Default DG834GT - no router access

Hi all

I am trying to set up this router so I can use my laptop wirelessly (this is my only computer)
I have set up the router as indicated and all the correct lights are on but I cannot access the router manager
I can get into the manager if I use my ISP modem but the set up wizard does not run
My Local Area Connection is showing as connected ok
I have verified TCP/IP connections, reset router, turned off firewall but still no luck
My ISP is Orange (Wanadoo) and I normally connect via a speed touch modem via USB

Has anyone experienced the same problem and suggest any possible solutions?

Thanks
Old 09-June-2008, 02:28
Screamager

Default Re: DG834GT - no router access

i had a similar prob with a router,but uyou could try ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew in command prompt to reset the network adapter,and make sure that the usb modem software is un-installed, the only other thing io can sugest is reset the router to factory settings,
Old 10-June-2008, 12:50
pobman

Thanks tommy t, I will give this a go in the next couple of days when i get back to my computer. I haven't seen the modem un-installing mentioned before so hopefully that will do the trick. cheers
Old 21-June-2008, 17:29
pobman

I have only been able to try removing the modem software today and still no joy at all connecting to the router. Have tried the router on another (desktop) computer and it goes through the set up process really smoothly so does not appear to be a problem with the router itself.

I guess i will have to call the netgear helpline. i can't believe that this is so difficult to set up.
Old 21-June-2008, 22:55
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Have you first connected the router to your laptop by ethernet (LAN) cable, in order to get to the router setup pages ?

You need to do this before setting up the wireless connection and any encryption (WPA for preference) before you connect wirelessly.
Old 22-June-2008, 14:48
pobman

Hi Centaur, thanks for your post. I've set up the connections in line with the instructions but my laptop just doesn't pick up the router when i put the http address in. In case i had got it wrong or if there was a problem with the router or wires i tried it on a friends desktop and it picked it up straight away. It could be something fairly obvious but just cant seem to get to the bottom of it at the moment ....

Tags
cable, computer, connection, dg834g, isp, laptop, lights, line, make, modem, netgear, network, orange, router, settings, software, speed, wireless