Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 15-November-2006, 17:05
feck

Default AOL customers + speed problems

How many AOL customers are there here who are getting speed problems with their service.

Please let me know by posting to this thread what speed your paying for and what speed your actually getting, try going to both these sites to test your connection:

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php
and
http://specials.zdnet.co.uk/misc/ban...edtest500.html

Both these sites are established speed testers and probably the best out there.

Do not be fooled by what your system tells you as this is probably wrong try a speed test at both these sites. The first speedtest.net just involves clicking a yellow icon, that represents your nearest server, and Znet automatically tests your connection when you link to that page.
Old 15-November-2006, 17:14

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

speedtest.net is a poor speed test site

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ is better
Old 19-January-2008, 18:09
thejakalll

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

My speed should be 8mb but the max I have seen lately is 3mb and the lowest (after 7pm) has been 0.2mb, I have spoken to their customer care and all I got was the usual try this try that (I think the operator was reading from a book!).
They eventually did a line test and all they would tell me is that I have a strong broadband connection - they would not answer my questions properly or didn't understand them.

I believe they are throttling back on me even though I have unlimited download!
Old 12-February-2008, 19:53
jaffacakes

broadbandmax gives me
289kbps down / 315kbps up

not bad really for 6:55pm on a 2meg connection i suppose. Just wish i could get torrents to go anywhere near that!
Old 06-March-2008, 17:39
foxwalker

On 8mb broadband, I'm getting about 120kbps. This reflects the vast majority of times. When it does work, I receive anything up to 2.5mbps, but this is rare.
Old 24-March-2008, 19:59
AndaD

They claim that it's because of migration to the Carphone Warehouse servers. But CPW has the worst reputation for speed, so I don't see how it's going to get better. I'm getting 2.6 meg on an 4 meg connection, which is apparently pretty average for CPW....

The problem is the sale to Carphone Warehouse. The service we've come to expect has evaporated. It's definitely not worth the Laptop bribe they gave me...
Old 25-March-2008, 21:37
sijuputheth

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

i am paying for 8 meg speed from AOL but i am getting 228 Kbps. Thats too horrible to be with them...shame on AOL.
Old 02-February-2009, 15:59
d50lund

Question Re: AOL customers + speed problems

i am paying for 8 meg speed from AOL but i am getting 228 Kbps. Thats too horrible to be with them...shame on AOL.
Originally Posted by sijuputheth View Post
What does it say in the small print ?
Old 08-February-2009, 10:08
Osram

SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio - It is only important to phonecalls I beleive.
Old 25-March-2008, 22:09
jedi.warrior

253 down and 360 up?

hmmm 8 meg connection my arse!

had better line with Tiswas
Old 29-March-2008, 12:42
clive063

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

I am paying for 8mb and during the last week speeds have dropped to around 1.6 mb average. I understand it is due to the move of the servers and that they are currently working to improve it...they had better otherwise I shall move to another ISP.

clive::
Old 30-March-2008, 00:31
shokan

Hi I recently bought a dell inspirion laptop and have been trying to connect it to my aol broadband connection through a number of routers/modems. I tried using the bt voyager 205 router but despite the modem connection being visible, I was not able to connect to the internet. I contacted aol and they said that they wont be able to provide me with any assistance on this modem as aol does not support it. Now I don’t want to buy a new router as I will be joining uni in a few months and thus simply want to use my current home broadband for the remaining months. Aol said that I will have to modify ‘settings’ on the 205. can anyone suggest anything. Thankyou.
Old 02-April-2008, 09:53
Screamer

Just rang AOl ref poor speeds, they gave me a new user and pass for my router, this solved the prob...getting better speeds than before now!!!! they said it was to do with them changing the servers...give them a call peeps it worked for me.....
Old 10-April-2008, 08:26
simplysam

Red face Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Just rang AOl ref poor speeds, they gave me a new user and pass for my router, this solved the prob...getting better speeds than before now!!!! they said it was to do with them changing the servers...give them a call peeps it worked for me.....
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Finally that worked for me too. This could have been achieved right at the beginning by informing the customers. Why leave them in a situation to have to call and call and call without getting the real answer. I guess it is to do with making money and training their staff for cheap.
Old 10-April-2008, 10:03
Hornet600

Hi Guy's, can anybody advise what IP profile for you line means. I'm supposed to be on a 8MB package if that helps.

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 5500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps (UP-STREAM) 6688 kbps (DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3803 kbps
Old 10-April-2008, 10:08
Hornet600

Finally that worked for me too. This could have been achieved right at the beginning by informing the customers. Why leave them in a situation to have to call and call and call without getting the real answer. I guess it is to do with making money and training their staff for cheap.
Originally Posted by simplysam View Post
How does a new user and pass improve speed? I thought it was just used to gain access to you router settings.
Old 10-April-2008, 13:27
Screamager

Hi Hornet600.

Welcome to The Scream!

Your IP profile will be set for the most stable connection at that time, in accordance to your Connection rate.

Your Connection rate is what your Modem/Router is syncronising at, with the exchange.

Your Throughput is the actual speed you are getting.

Many speed discrepancies can be down to a faulty phoneline, faulty internal wiring of extension sockets, faulty filters, faulty Modem/Router, exchange problems or the ISP itself

Dont forget, AOL are moving everyone onto the TalkTalk LLU servers, so your sync/speeds, etc, may vary during this period, but you can still use the BT tester, which means you are still on the old AOL servers, otherwise you wouldnt be able to use the tester. Your ISP is the most likely cause of bad speeds at this time.

Re: Your Username and Password.

I believe that the new Username/Password change, is only for people who have been moved onto the TalkTalk LLU servers. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

It has nothing to do with logging onto the Router, its the ISP login details for AOL which are entered into the Router settings for you to connect to them, that is being changed. Your router access Username/Password will still be as normal. EG. admin/admin or whatever you use.
Old 10-April-2008, 14:20
Hornet600

Thanks for you reply,

Do you know of an approximate date when the server move is going to take place?
Old 03-April-2008, 15:54
egoneo

well looks as if the speed problems may persist till the end of April

1:55:10 PM System Connecting to server. Please wait...
1:55:10 PM System Connected to eunadprod02-lux
1:55:10 PM System Thank you for calling into AOL Broadband Live Help for technical support
1:55:10 PM System Ross has joined this session!
1:55:10 PM System Connected with Ross
1:55:10 PM System Welcome to AOL Live Help. How might I be of service to you?
1:55:27 PM Ross Hi there. Welcome to AOL Live Chat Support, my name is Ross. How can I help you today?
1:56:00 PM You Hi, im getting slow downloads, and web browsing speeds, i heard it was due to aol serves being move to carphone warehouse servers?
1:57:17 PM Ross I'll just need to do a few checks on this end one moment please.
2:00:08 PM Ross It's not showing up any problems on your line that we know of at the moment. Do you know what download speed you are receiving please?
2:01:14 PM You transfer rate is about 160 kbps max
2:01:41 PM You and iternetfrog is showing a connection of about 1.5 MB/s
2:01:54 PM You it should be 8
2:02:11 PM Ross Have you tried a download through Internet Explorer as well as AOL, to see if theres any speed difference?
2:04:15 PM You yes i've trie IE explorer, firefox, aol and recently safari they all show have the same results
2:05:22 PM Ross OK, are you using a modem or a router to connect please?
2:05:40 PM You bt voyager 105 usb adsl modem
2:05:56 PM You i have a router as well which i have tried
2:06:02 PM You no difference though
2:06:54 PM You is it because of the move of servers?
2:07:00 PM Ross And no improvement with that router, OK. All that's realistically left is a broadband line fault. I'd suggest that you need to call our help line on 0844 499 5555, and they could run a more in depth line test with you, they need to be speaking to you on the phone to run that test. From that we'd know if you're dealing with a line fault
2:07:20 PM Ross We're unable to tell if that's the case yet, we'd have to get the results of the broadband line test first.
2:07:34 PM You but it could be?
2:09:10 PM Ross Yes, that is a possibility. We have had some slowness issues recently, due to the network migration.
2:11:19 PM You so when is this migration complete?
2:12:01 PM Ross It is due to be completely finished by the end of April.
2:13:36 PM You why were we not informed about this?
2:16:32 PM Ross It was unexpected that this problem would happen, we've updated the AOL help pages to inform our members that there has been problems.
Old 05-April-2008, 08:16
mariulia

I like that last post, because that is what they told me as well. My download at the is averaging at about 700Mbps (average from few different speed check sites). They have confirmed that I am on 8Mbps a month.

Afterall it is not surprising, they have moved to carphone warehaouse network, or should we call it TALKTALK network, I have no idea anymore, they used to be good, but I am going to give them 2 more weeks and if there is no improvement I will move!
Old 07-April-2008, 19:40
pauledginton@aol.com

aol is now the slowest service you can get they don't care about there customers ..they are earning to much money to care ..been with them ten years and now i have had enough you ring them and they just fob you off if f and off go together then that sounds about right had enough just looking into other internet services sky lok goood just need to go into it a bit more i can;t be the only one .............................................
Old 08-April-2008, 13:47
Screamer

Has anyone tried to contact them like I did in 4 posts up? It worked for me guys.....
Old 08-April-2008, 21:15
sheparo

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

I accepted a 18mon contract in Jan08. the speed went up to 5.9mbps for 2 months and now it is about 780kbps. For the past month I have been trying to get a straight answer from Live Help, Emails, and 0844499555 on a daily basis. but I feel I am a ginea pig training their technician for their technical skills as well as English. Among the useless advice they give I heard "Network migration". I found this site using keyword "AOL Network Migration Carphonewarehouse". I remember TalkTalk jamming because CPW offered a good deal. I remember cashback with mobile deals. God help us if these charlatans are running the AOL UK show. They have figured a loophole to milk UK population and get rich.
Old 12-August-2008, 18:43
Qwerty434

AOL 8MB package getting 2MB download even tho my router connects to the local exchange at 7MB and my naubor gets 7.1MB and when i 1st joined the contract i was getting 6.3MB which i did not mind but now its just getting slower and slower. got BT to do a downstream line test for me and turns out AOL are sending me 2.3MB when there ment to be sending me 8MB... can i say anymore? oh yeh iv phoned them over 100 times now been with them sins dial up lol i live in the UK and i have done a networking course at college and iv learnt all about line lengeth and how things can slow down but if my nabour is getting 7.1mb and im getting 2mb im sure it can't slow down by that much in a matter of 50 meters. funny thing is when AOL know they can't do anything to keep you with there service they just hang the phone up at there end lol they have done that me to 3 times now.
Old 30-September-2008, 18:58
NoYa

Anyone still getting speed problems with AOL? Currently on 8mb bb, and i'm getting speeds just above Dial Up, i can't even load websites up correctly because of it.

I've rang AOHELL up about five time now, and they've told me bugger all.

AOL is a bag of crap!
Old 07-October-2008, 14:59
Craigant

NoYa, I'm getting incredibly awefull speeds at the moment. Websites are loading at dial up speeds and my average download speed is 2.7kbs. AOL is fast becoming a joke. I've tried calling them several times, but they're just god damn useless.
Old 07-October-2008, 19:49
Simongtt

NoYa, I'm getting incredibly awefull speeds at the moment. Websites are loading at dial up speeds and my average download speed is 2.7kbs. AOL is fast becoming a joke. I've tried calling them several times, but they're just god damn useless.
Originally Posted by Craigant View Post
Im with you on this one pal! mines running uselessly slow and im trying to get hold of Customer Services and cant get hold of them
Old 07-October-2008, 20:06
osram

My average speed is 50kb/s on an adsl max line of 8meg.

My best speed is 2.2 meg - prior to moving to aol 3 months ago.

This has to made into an official complaint because they are not providing the minimum speed of 212kb.s
Old 07-October-2008, 20:22
markb

Yeah man, up untill 2 weeks ago I was getting 6.5mb with no problems (8mb same as you). and since then its become unusable, and today its the worst ever, takes ages to load any webpage. Spent hours on the "online tech help" and they are useless. Was told by a "level 2" tech support person that i should leave the router on and wait 42-72 hours lol...
Old 07-October-2008, 21:04
thunder

My aol B.B. speeds have also drastically gone down
over the past fortnight.

today my average speed is down to about 350 kbps.

normally it is around 1800-2000 kbps

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web