Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 14-October-2008, 08:57
Simongtt

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

I fully expect mine to go wrong again, no chance they can let me have a connection running at 75% for 2 nights in a row lol.
Old 14-October-2008, 14:33
skease

ok iv found out why myself any many others are getting such poor speeds this was from an engineer....its because we all only get 10gig a month in downloads....and they say if you watch streaming movies and use p2p you will automaticaly get your bandwidth capped to dialup speeds.....iv been with aol 9 years.....thats about to change 10 gig is **** all... im switching to a decent isp! good luck with aol....
Old 14-October-2008, 16:29
NoYa

Ok, so it's the FUP kicking in then. ****, Xbox Live is going down the pan then.
Old 14-October-2008, 20:22
NoYa

Mine is now back to the nineties, this is ****!
Old 14-October-2008, 20:29
Simongtt

im still up at 3mb
Old 15-October-2008, 08:08
skease

go chk out o2/be 16mb line a tenner unlimited useage xD
Old 15-October-2008, 16:45
NoYa

Mines now fine, and i'm download something big just to see if I get capped, the files about 900mb. I'll report back once its done.
Old 16-October-2008, 13:38
NoYa

Downloaded the file fine, playing the COD:WaW Beta and it's crap!
Old 16-October-2008, 17:51
skease

Today 17:50 748 kbps (93.5kB/s) 333 kbps (41.6kB/s) Share
Today 17:50 808 kbps (101kB/s) 326 kbps (40.8kB/s) Share
Today 17:49 718 kbps (89.8kB/s) 313 kbps (39.1kB/s) Share
Yesterday 21:47 572 kbps (71.5kB/s) 328 kbps (41kB/s) Share
Yesterday 14:25 949 kbps (119kB/s) 299 kbps (37.4kB/s) Share
Yesterday 13:59 1175 kbps (147kB/s) 343 kbps (42.9kB/s) Share

same crappy speeds as usual on this ****** isp
Old 16-October-2008, 20:51
xboxgaz

I used to be on Aol Platinum and was so for 3 years. I too got suckered in by the free laptop offer and Aol talk unlimited (Except to mobiles!!) and am now stuck with Aol for another 2 years!!!!!

I signed up and I noticed very little change in service speeds, just when I did a speed test it came up with my ISP as CPW services!!!

But the speed stayed the same for a long while, well 3 months to be honest, until recently. Battlefield on the PS3 has got very laggy to point where I now don't bother playing it anymore.

Last night I downloaded the latest PS3 firmware update, it took forever!!!

For the last two weeks it has been the same, switch on PC, go to speedcheck my broad(thin)band and the same, I have had speeds of around 10kbps to 200kbps, I used to get a steady healthy 6500kbps, tonight my upload was faster than my download!!

I don't download films or music etc, just play the odd MP match on PS network.

Tonight was the final straw, I got through to a "Supervisor" after being bumped from pillar to post.

I have spoken to their "Helpcare" department now about 10 times, each time speeds below 100kbps, after each call the speed is back up to 5000-6000kbps, each time I get the following,

Clear Cookies etc- Yeah whatever!!!
Its a line fault - Yeah whatever!!!
Your to far from the exchange- I can walk to the exchange in 1 minute!!!!
Your set-up is faulty- err no, nowt wrong with my set-up.

Its now at about 3000kbps, which aint to bad, but its getting slower.

I asked the guy a load of times, Are we on the Talk Talk servers now? His response was, "No you are on the CPW servers"

I then said, when thinking of renewing my contract, had I known at the time that we would be shifting to the CPW/Talk Talk servers, I would have cancelled there and then.

I'm currently looking at ways of ending my contract early after 4months as it states on my welcome letter I have a 40 gig download limit which has now dropped to 10gig!! Without my knowledge.

I suspect I may just have to grin and bear it and pay the bill each month and sign up to o2 as I have my contract iPhone with them and it will be £7.50p p/m.

I've had a gut full now!!! They have promised me tonight that an engineer is looking into my speed problems.
Old 17-October-2008, 17:06
miket123

Hi
I just had a BT engineer fix my broadband in less than 5 minutes. He simply changed the main socket by the front door as it was out of date. If your socket is older than 2007, it will probably be an issue. He fitted a "Bell filter front plate" which has a little capacitor on the inside. My speed has just gone up by a factor of 10 yes that's x 10!!

The bottom half may also be a "Service specific front plate" which has ADSL in the corner

such a simple fix and never mentioned by AOL. The engineer assures me it's a nationally known problem and fix - come on AOL, let your customers know about this!
Old 17-October-2008, 19:20
skease

you can actuly buyout of your contract early mines 25 pounds a month...but it costs me 8 pounds for each month to buy out if ya get me may be worth considdering that ratrher than going to o2 and still paying full price to aol... you will need ur MAC code from aol to migrate to o2...u ask aol for this when you leave
Old 18-October-2008, 12:52
NoYa

Internet was running fine, until I just tried to download a LEGAL file off torrents. Then my internet droped down to dial up again. Just about to ring AOL now to get my speed back to normal.
Old 18-October-2008, 13:05
NoYa

They have no clue, no clue at all. ADSL 24 looks like an amazing ISP. Anyone know if they're any good?

EDIT: After getting off the phone with AOL again, the rep told me to leave the router off for five minutes. At the time I laughed, but went ahead with it anyway because I couldn't use the net regardless. 10 minutes later, and i'm back to normal speeds. Could anyone else see if this works for them when AOL begin capping them.

Last edited by NoYa; 19-October-2008 at 11:42.
Old 19-October-2008, 19:17
Simongtt

mines still up and down constantly, some days good, some days ****, like tonight! Anyone here anythign from AOL after complaining to the ISPA? i sure havent.
Old 21-October-2008, 19:04
NoYa

I've been on hold now for ten minutes, and all i get is they will ring me in 24hours after they've done tests. They won't even admit they're capping us. No word from the ISPA either, only the email saying we have you complaint.
Old 21-October-2008, 19:14
xboxgaz

After switching on my PC this evening, I managed 1mbps where as I normally receive 6-6.5mbps. Its a bit better than yesterdays 10kbps speed which fluctuated between 10kbps and 700kbps, before settling after 2 hours on the phone at 6.8mbps. I find it strange that my speed allways goes up after ringing Aol!!!!

Pulled the power lead out of the router and plugged it back in, did the speed test, now got 6.93mbps. This will drop as the evening goes on. I will do another speed test later on and see what happens.

All I have had back from ISPA is a "You've lodged a complaint" email.
Old 21-October-2008, 23:49
Chris UK

Rubbish connection tonight, just been disconnecting randomly and then connecting only for a minute or so, it's doing it even when I'm writing this post.

AOL are pathetic. We need to spread the word...FAST
Old 22-October-2008, 00:06
mikensam

I didnt know about the ISPA, I have just logged a complaint too.

Please, everyone log a complaint each. The more the merry'er
Old 22-October-2008, 17:11

Have you tried changing your login details in your router?

I was told you need to change the details from:
YourScreenName@aol.com

to:

YourScreenName@dialbb.com

Worked for me (recently moved onto the new network)
Old 22-October-2008, 20:39
Guest 101002023.56 1/2

Hi,

I've just posted the message below in a similar AOL thread because I have posted in both this thread and in the other thread 'AOL Speed Issues Fixed'. Anyway after changing my login to the 'dialbb' one I got better speeds for a day before it went back to being rubbish BUT I have found that with this new login name/password if I reset my router it fixes the connection speed, if only on a temporary basis.

Back again with another update.....

I've found that reseting my router seems to sort out the problem for about 24 hours or so. I have now tried this method about 4-5 times and it works for me with the roughly the following results

Before the reset I got the following -

Date 22/10/08 20:20:43
Speed Down 291.01 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )
Speed Up 78.18 Kbps ( 0.1 Mbps )

After the reset I got the following -

Date 22/10/08 20:24:58
Speed Down 2192.03 Kbps ( 2.1 Mbps )
Speed Up 357.08 Kbps ( 0.3 Mbps )

I'm not saying this will cure everyone's problem and I know it's not ideal reseting your router (I just turn the power off on mine for a few seconds) BUT if it helps people get better speeds then maybe it's worth trying.

Good Luck
Old 22-October-2008, 21:49
Cessna

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

I thought i was unique in this problem for about 2 months. I have been tearing my hair out. For around 2 months I have exactly the same problems (slow downloads / throughput) as others on here. I've done all the changing of usersneames etc, I have had engineers come to the house who say everything is ok and yesterday AOL have even gone to trouble of getting BT to swap my port at the exchange. and guess what?! ...... it has made no difference. Just recieved my MAC code and i am about to change to another ISP. I have been with AOL for 7 years the last 2 months or so have been a joke.
Old 23-October-2008, 18:43
martphil747

Currently waiting on a call back from level 2 after making several calls since 07 October, have kept a full log of all the conversations. I've never heard so many fob offs. Have tried all the above ie. dialbb, MTU setting now 1450 etc. Paying for 8Mb, live 1.5 miles from exchange (SDCRWLY), getting >1.5mbs most times. Tied in until Nov 09 but seriously thinking about jacking it in and moving to maybe O2 as they seem to be getting the best write up at the minute. This is the 2nd time I've been with AOL and I've just remembered why I left them in the first place.
I'll let you know outcome if I indeed do get a call back tonight which I very much doubt - Oh and another thing, how many of you have been told by Level 1 "I can't put you through to Level 2, the service tools are down, please call back in 2 hours" - I''ve had it on 4 calls since 07 October.
Old 23-October-2008, 19:57
xboxgaz

Currently waiting on a call back from level 2 after making several calls since 07 October, have kept a full log of all the conversations. I've never heard so many fob offs. Have tried all the above ie. dialbb, MTU setting now 1450 etc. Paying for 8Mb, live 1.5 miles from exchange (SDCRWLY), getting >1.5mbs most times. Tied in until Nov 09 but seriously thinking about jacking it in and moving to maybe O2 as they seem to be getting the best write up at the minute. This is the 2nd time I've been with AOL and I've just remembered why I left them in the first place.
I'll let you know outcome if I indeed do get a call back tonight which I very much doubt - Oh and another thing, how many of you have been told by Level 1 "I can't put you through to Level 2, the service tools are down, please call back in 2 hours" - I''ve had it on 4 calls since 07 October.
Originally Posted by martphil747 View Post
What is this level 1 and 2 thing? I have been having problems all month and have been calling about 3-4 times a week.

Allthough, you could try this. The past 2 days I have pulled the power lead out of my router and left it out after I go to bed, and it stays out untill I get back from work the next day. Seems to work!!!

I too have lodged a complaint with the ISPA and have tried speaking to "Supervisors" etc, and just keep getting bounced from pillar to post.
Old 23-October-2008, 20:05
martphil747

Hi XboxGaz - Level 1 is the first guys you speak to in Tech Support when you call AOL. If they can't fix it (most likely), they escalate it to Level 2.
It's crazy isn't it that we pay for a service yet we have to pull out the plug of the modem each night. I'm so fed up. Didn't get call tonight either, still waiting but rather watch 'The Restaurant' now on BBC2!!! LOL. Got to keep our humour up eh?
Old 23-October-2008, 20:33
xboxgaz

Hi XboxGaz - Level 1 is the first guys you speak to in Tech Support when you call AOL. If they can't fix it (most likely), they escalate it to Level 2.
It's crazy isn't it that we pay for a service yet we have to pull out the plug of the modem each night. I'm so fed up. Didn't get call tonight either, still waiting but rather watch 'The Restaurant' now on BBC2!!! LOL. Got to keep our humour up eh?
Well my wife plugged the router back in at about 12noon and got a speed of 6.9mbps.

Just did a test and it had dropped to 1.2mbps. I unplugged the router for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and retested. Got a speed of 6.8mbps.

I'm beginning to wonder if its my router!!!! But I don't want to shell out £X amount for a new router for it to be the same.

So far with Aol Tech support I have,,

Reset my MTU- 12 times
Rebooted my Router- 30 times
Contacted Aol at home and work- 30 or so times.
Had my username and password reset- 4 times.
Been told to delete my Cookies etc, even though I tell them that the interet browsing is very, very slow on my PS3 web browser- 14 times.
Been told there is a line fault- 6 times.

I'm tied into it untill June 2010 after being suckered by the free Laptop that I sold after getting it for £235

All my problems started well after the 30day cooling off period!!!
Old 23-October-2008, 20:52
Cessna

Thumbs down Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Well my wife plugged the router back in at about 12noon and got a speed of 6.9mbps.

Just did a test and it had dropped to 1.2mbps. I unplugged the router for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and retested. Got a speed of 6.8mbps.

I'm beginning to wonder if its my router!!!! But I don't want to shell out £X amount for a new router for it to be the same.

So far with Aol Tech support I have,,

Reset my MTU- 12 times
Rebooted my Router- 30 times
Contacted Aol at home and work- 30 or so times.
Had my username and password reset- 4 times.
Been told to delete my Cookies etc, even though I tell them that the interet browsing is very, very slow on my PS3 web browser- 14 times.
Been told there is a line fault- 6 times.

I'm tied into it untill June 2010 after being suckered by the free Laptop that I sold after getting it for £235

All my problems started well after the 30day cooling off period!!!
Originally Posted by xboxgaz View Post
This sounds exactly like the problem i am having and i did the same changes you have listed here. I bought a new router and it made no difference. Just tried my connection tonight and have 6.3 meg. Tried it at 6 pm and had 237 kbps. As posted earlier i have just supplied my MAC code to another ISP. Fortunately i'm not in contract with them so in a few days i should have decent stable broadband connection.
Old 23-October-2008, 21:05
martphil747

Cessna
Are you able to share your new ISP - did you get a good deal, are their speeds constant, P2P allowed and no capping etc etc. . .I'm really debating on pulling out of my contract now as I don't think AOL will ever improve.
Anyone know how much I will have to fork out if I pull out (contract ends NOV 09).
Old 23-October-2008, 21:19
xboxgaz

Cessna
Are you able to share your new ISP - did you get a good deal, are their speeds constant, P2P allowed and no capping etc etc. . .I'm really debating on pulling out of my contract now as I don't think AOL will ever improve.
Anyone know how much I will have to fork out if I pull out (contract ends NOV 09).
Did you get the free laptop deal?? It would be quite abit I think.

I just got through to cancelations department and had a lengthy chat with the rep. He has given me one months broadband (£24.99p) free to say sorry for the problems and said he will put through to a level 2 tech, I got through, explained my fault and he promptly said "I can't help you!" and hung up!!!!

I shall be ringing again tomorrow to have another go at "Cancelling!".

Still nothing from the ISPA either, they must have a huge back log of complaints about Aol at the moment, even the guy in the cancellations department admitted alot of people were cancelling!!!

This is getting to be appalling service, but they have narrowed it down to, A) A problem with my router, or B) An Aol problem itself!!

He said that "Everyone has been moved to their new high speed network (ADSL2) and that it was odd that it had the opposite effect, and it was also strange that since being a customer since 2005 with a steady speed up untill recently!"

Gonna try and get out of it tomorrow!!
Old 25-October-2008, 17:05
martphil747

How did you get on xboxgaz? Oh and yes, I did the laptop deal.
Still didn't get a call from Level 2, no sign, funy though my speed is hovering now betwee 1.5 - 3Mb.

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web