Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 25-October-2008, 22:50
xboxgaz

Default Re: AOL customers + speed problems

How did you get on xboxgaz? Oh and yes, I did the laptop deal.
Still didn't get a call from Level 2, no sign, funy though my speed is hovering now betwee 1.5 - 3Mb.
Originally Posted by martphil747 View Post
Well I got through to cancellations again on Friday morning. Had a good moan to the bloke on the other end.

Basically I have 20 months remaining and he told me it would be £300 to cancel the contract.

However,,,,

He did say that if my problems keep persisting for at least another month, Aol would terminate my contract with NO early contract ending fee as the connection fault is not my doing.

So I am now keeping a diary of my speeds and have also written down all the problems prior Thursday 23rd October.

Last nights speeds were,,,

23/10/2008

Download speed 28kbps
Switch off router for 30 minutes and reboot, D/L speeds 1.2mbps
Switched off again or 30 minutes etc D/L speeds 6.9mbps

24/10/2008

Unplug router and go to work
After work reboot, router D/L speed 28kbps
Switch off for 30 minutes etc, D/L speed 1.2mbps
Again switch off for 30 minutes etc, D/L speed 3.8mbps

25/10/2008

Router been on for 10 hours D/L speed 5.8mbps
Been left on all day tested just now at 3.6 mbps (2300hrs)

Bearing in mind that for the past 3 years it has been a steady 6.5mbps with no drop offs!!!

I will be watching with interest, however, as I have enquired about cancelling, I fully expect my service to be tiptop for a while and then to drop off again, or I could be talking utter ******** and come Monday I'll be back to spending an hour a night trying to get my internet up and running.

I fully recommend people do a regular speed test, this one is best http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and also keep a diary.

What router are people using?

I've got the Netgear DG834v3 before that for the past 2 years with no faults, hang ups etc I was using a Netgear DG834v1!
Old 26-October-2008, 15:37
martphil747

I've got the Netgear DG834v3 before that for the past 2 years with no faults, hang ups etc I was using a Netgear DG834v1!
Originally Posted by xboxgaz View Post
I'm using the same as you (DG834v3). Never had any probs with it at all.
Old 26-October-2008, 21:24
Chris Uk

Well I got through to cancellations again on Friday morning. Had a good moan to the bloke on the other end.

Basically I have 20 months remaining and he told me it would be £300 to cancel the contract.

However,,,,

He did say that if my problems keep persisting for at least another month, Aol would terminate my contract with NO early contract ending fee as the connection fault is not my doing.

So I am now keeping a diary of my speeds and have also written down all the problems prior Thursday 23rd October.

Last nights speeds were,,,

23/10/2008

Download speed 28kbps
Switch off router for 30 minutes and reboot, D/L speeds 1.2mbps
Switched off again or 30 minutes etc D/L speeds 6.9mbps

24/10/2008

Unplug router and go to work
After work reboot, router D/L speed 28kbps
Switch off for 30 minutes etc, D/L speed 1.2mbps
Again switch off for 30 minutes etc, D/L speed 3.8mbps

25/10/2008

Router been on for 10 hours D/L speed 5.8mbps
Been left on all day tested just now at 3.6 mbps (2300hrs)

Bearing in mind that for the past 3 years it has been a steady 6.5mbps with no drop offs!!!

I will be watching with interest, however, as I have enquired about cancelling, I fully expect my service to be tiptop for a while and then to drop off again, or I could be talking utter ******** and come Monday I'll be back to spending an hour a night trying to get my internet up and running.

I fully recommend people do a regular speed test, this one is best http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk/ and also keep a diary.

Originally Posted by xboxgaz View Post

Mate,if theirs any truth in cancelling with no fee I'd love to know.

I'm going to be keeping a diary of the next week too. Absolute idiots. Going to Be as soon as I can.

I would gladly pay the £300 to get out the contract (just over a months wage for me , a 17 year old) But my parents are willing to carry on and get raped by American Offline.
Old 26-October-2008, 23:09
NoYa

Wait, so people here are using the Netgear DG834v3, is everyone who is experencing these problems using this router? I'm going to ring AOL and see how much of my dad's contract is left then ask for a cancellation price. I'll pay for it myself, and i've been meaning to do a logs now for about 2 weeks. I'll tell you guys how well i get on.
Old 27-October-2008, 13:41
Cessna

Wait, so people here are using the Netgear DG834v3, is everyone who is experencing these problems using this router? I'm going to ring AOL and see how much of my dad's contract is left then ask for a cancellation price. I'll pay for it myself, and i've been meaning to do a logs now for about 2 weeks. I'll tell you guys how well i get on.
Originally Posted by NoYa View Post
No, I used a DG834PN, a DG834G v2 and a DGN2000 -
Old 28-October-2008, 00:59
xboxgaz

Mate,if theirs any truth in cancelling with no fee I'd love to know.

I'm going to be keeping a diary of the next week too. Absolute idiots. Going to Be as soon as I can.

I would gladly pay the £300 to get out the contract (just over a months wage for me , a 17 year old) But my parents are willing to carry on and get raped by American Offline.
Originally Posted by Chris Uk View Post
Seems to be quite stable at the moment. I have had 4.2mbps (normally get 6.8mbps( for the past 3 days now.

Still going to keep a diary, as I do believe they have upped my speed to keep me happy for the meantime,,,,,,,
Old 28-October-2008, 01:02
xboxgaz

Hmmm, just done another test, up to 7.2mbps!!!
Old 28-October-2008, 13:04
NoYa

Anyone who is using Speedtest.net to test their speeds can downloaded all their test in an excel spreadsheet. Here's how to do it:

Click each blue link.

Step 1: After doing a speedtest, go to the highlighted selection

http://img529.imageshack.us/my.php?i...8442212cb1.jpg

Step 2: Then selected the highlighted slection and go to "All My Tests" at the top.

http://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12981934pc1.jpg

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1171562jl3.jpg

Step 3: Then go to the bottem of the page, and slected "Download in CSV format" and download the file.

http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?i...1734557rt7.jpg

Step 4: Open in excel, and their are all you tests for you.

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3701370de4.jpg
Old 29-October-2008, 22:11
xboxgaz

Just when I thought Aol had sorted their problems, 100kbps this evening and lost broadband completely early today!!!!!

After ****ing about for an hour, back up to 3.2mbps!!!
Old 04-November-2008, 22:20
NoYa

It's still a ****ing mess, no word from the ISPA too!
Old 06-November-2008, 17:55
Simongtt

Chaps chaps chaps! Its the FUP, ive had them admit it to me on several occasions and via a letter after my complaint to the ISPA. we get 10gig a month bandwidth and thats it, after that its dial up speeds in peak hours.... USELESS! how can 10gig be fair??
Old 06-November-2008, 20:59
martphil747

FUP!!!! I signed up to a 40GB contract and don't use nearly that as I'm at work most of day and don't leave PC on. It's an absolute digrace that AOL seem to have a blanket policy for all of us - no matter what you're usage, I bet each and everyone of us get no more than 1Mb speeds after 1600 until 0001hrs. Tried to watch BBC I Player tonight, gave up as even the page to see the player took just over a minute to load never mind the actual video!!! It's a call on Sat when I get time through to cancellations and see if I can get out of contract then it's over to O2. I can't stand AOL anymore and their Tech support is an absolute joke - 3 times I've been told that Level 2 support would call me back, 3 times I never received a call. The slow speeds have been happening since end of Sept and before.
Old 07-November-2008, 12:55
NoYa

Well i've not gone over 10 gig. If it's the FUP then they have not removed the block on me since september then.
Old 10-November-2008, 22:25
chedd

Wink Re: AOL customers + speed problems

hi all,yes i had the same problems,my speed was 8meg but today i was only getting 54kbs so i rang and complained,they told me to gom into my router and then wan settings and change the number from 1400 to 1450 and my problem was solved,try it guysmaybe it will work for you.i have a netgear router.
Old 11-November-2008, 20:22
Craigant

Been getting speeds of 40-50kbs all week. Tonight it's well under 10kbs. This is simply not good enough, I don't have the money to pay out of my contract either, nor have I come close to using even using 5gb of bandwidth this month.
Old 13-November-2008, 14:26
Paul White

Angry Re: AOL customers + speed problems

Hi guys this makes interesting reading I too have this issue!

Story so far for me surfing has been slow for a while so starting looking in to it.........
I found that my speed first thing (7:30 ish before i head out to work) is 1500kbs but at the end of the day 20-50kbs (18:00 ish) but it will gradually go backup to 500kbs by the end of the evening (23:00 ish).

So now on to the AO Hell saga!
1st call 30 mins - Check this Check that msconfig disable everything blah blah I’m guessing you all know this bit fella at the end of the phone must have got fed up “Please wait 24 hours sir and phone again if it is not fixed its an AOL server issue!”

2nd call 90 mins - 1st line support check this check that blah blah passed to 2nd line, line test performed get cut off during that! Phone back 1st line check this check that again but this time added the new user must be phonenumber@bbsomthing.com (sorry can remember what it was) and MTU set to 1450... no change though back to 2nd line and a line check cut off again..... phoned back 1st line check this check that blah blah “ok i will add you to our speed problem task force you now have a tracker number and you will get contacted at some point to resolve the issue”. Surprise surprise they wouldn’t give me any detail on this task force or even my tracker number!

So I will find out tonight if things have changed (but I doubt it!)

I’m wondering if any one else is on this task force or if it was just to get me off the phone!

Other than that I’m thinking of a couple things to get me kicked out I read over the terms and it looks like all I need do is max my downloads for a couple months (mines supposed to be 40 gig) or host an FTP server it looks like both will get me kicked off
Did any one else think about this route?

Ok rant over thanks for reading…. I will keep you all posted
Old 13-November-2008, 18:53
Paul White

ok home now same thing as before 100kbps max on to AOL again!

This time i got ireland

didnt get the normal crap tonight so call quite short but given another new user and password phonenumberA@dialbb.com pass london12.

This has sped things up abit im up to 1000kbps lets see if it holds
Old 17-November-2008, 16:30
Vikx

Wow this has been so interesting to read,

My parents are on AOL and for years I have been trying to get them to leave. I have had to move back home and I am now using this connection. It has been fine up until this week. I am getting speeds of dail up and there has been no warning at all nothing. All I do is play World of Warcraft and just browse sites, I don't do downloading on a mass scale (other than when a new patch comes out)

But this week I cant even have wow open and a new web page open at the same time. I cant even load 2 web pages at once. It is shocking.
Old 17-November-2008, 22:42
Chris Uk

Thanks aol, you have once again capped me for no reason.

Writing a letter to them tomorrow using various stats from this thread and many of my own.

This has gone way too far.
Old 28-November-2008, 23:33
cassius335

ok home now same thing as before 100kbps max on to AOL again!

This time i got ireland

didnt get the normal crap tonight so call quite short but given another new user and password phonenumberA@dialbb.com pass london12.

This has sped things up abit im up to 1000kbps lets see if it holds
Originally Posted by Paul White View Post
You HAVE changed that password since, right?
Old 29-November-2008, 00:15
Screamager

as a ex tiscrapi customer and one who has had very similar speed probs(been there and got the t shirt) i know how frustrated and angry you all are, there does seem to be some similar probs with the ring india cust servs/tech support,as they do have a call center in ireland then they should use that more,happen you are connected to a over contended badly run isp, i bet most of the customers who suffer the lowest speeds are connected via ip data stream and not via llu,if the llu is as bad then cpw has signed up too many customers more than it is able to provide a reasonable service level to,as for having to pay the remainder of a contract term to any isp who does not give the service they advertise or at least make a concerted effort to, surely is in breech of that same contract??? so you the customer should not be forced to pay them,
Old 02-December-2008, 20:42
martphil747

Hi all,
Haven't posted on this thread since 06 November. With no improvement in speed and a constant battle with tech support, I have made a formal complaint to AOL on the address supplied on their website. Letter dated 12 Nov. I cancelled my AOL account and stated that I would not pay remainder of contract. I enclosed with the letter a log of every call, time, date and name of tech support agent (at least 12 of them) and all the excuses they provided.
I cancelled my direct debit and I haven't been charged.
AOL have also not yet had the decency to respond to my formal complaint. It's now the 2nd December and I am awaiting a response confirming that they will not charge me.

I am now with O2 - Guess what, I have constant speeds between 8 - 11Mbps no matter what time of the day and their customer service is fantastic.

Do not believe AOL when they say, like they constantly said to me "Your line only supports 4Mb, it's not our problem, it is your BT exchange" - This is totally untrue and I am proof as on the 17 Nov, AOL service stopped and O2 started with impressive speeds. The switch over was seamless, the router is easy to set up and their constant update texts far outway AOL service by a mile.

If you are in contract, I suggest you formally complain and log all your calls and who you speak to.

AOL/CPWH won't last for much longer if they continue to be blind the their customers issues and are totally inflexible.

BTW, Cancellations dept said they can only cancel your agreement without charge if they get a "DNC" from LEVEL 2 support - In order for Level 2 to give them this, they have to be satisfied that a full investigation has been carried out and that a engineer is unable to solve the problem. My argument with Level 2 (when I eventually spoke to a Manager who even then didn't call me back as promised)...was that all these issues should have been investigated when I reported slow speed problems way back in June/July and not once did they offer the services on an engineer. Pathetic.

Good luck and go for it - don't keep paying AOL to provide you with inadequate service.
Martin.
Old 05-December-2008, 16:05
Herdy11

Im on 8mb broadband and my download speed has never got any higher then 100kb/s.
Old 13-December-2008, 19:32
pfergy

I was with AOL for over 10 years , on a long 63.5db line with a 512k fixed package and over the last few months have averaged 200kbps down and 100kbps upload speeds.I have now bit the bullet and signed with Newnet . Am now on max with a 2 meg stable connection and a bras profile of 1.5 and consistant downs of 1480kbps and ups of 380kbps.My answer was to move , and the one thing i cant fault AOL for is the speed of my MAC, emailed in under two days.
I know it isnt for everybody but if you are comming up to the end of your contract
it may be better to lose the last few payments and move to another ISP.
Old 18-December-2008, 03:24
leeh123

hi wondering if anyone can help me

ive been for AOL for ages on a 2MB connection and was gettting 2MB so i had no complaints, but recently i upgraded to up to 8MB, the max speed i can get in my area is 5MB but im still only getting 2MB.

ive been on to the phone with AOL several times and theyve sent me to BT to check my line, which was fine, then they sent me to linksys to check my router, which was also fine, and today i rang up and told them everything is fine and they told me that they are sending me 5MB broadband down the line but im not recieving it, is this true what there telling me?

can there be a problem on my end thats limiting the speed im getting or is AOL lying about the speed there sending me

any help is appreciated
Old 18-December-2008, 14:07
Former TS! Team

Post any snr information from your router stats (any other stats it provides).
Someone here (or there's a website somewhere that) can tell you the maximum speed for your line.
Old 18-December-2008, 15:04
leeh123

Someone here (or there's a website somewhere that) can tell you the maximum speed for your line.
Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
ive been on websites that tell me the max speed my line can handle and its 5mb, not the best i know, my area sucks, but i would at least like to get the full 5mb instead of the 2mb im getting at the moment

i the router i have is the linksys WAG54GS version 1.1

ill post my snr stats in the next post

Last edited by leeh123; 18-December-2008 at 15:35.
Old 18-December-2008, 15:17
leeh123

Originally Posted by Memfis View Post
soz i just found out what snr is

dunno what it means but here we go:

SNR <DB> down = 10.3 up= 22.0
Attn<DB> down = 19.0 up= 10.0
Pwr<DBm> down = 19.8 up= 11.6
Max <Kbps> down =10048 up = 1044
rate<Kbps> down = 7616 up= 448

then underneath that theres G.dmt framing, ADSL2 framing and counters and loads of other stuff, do you need them as well cause there kinda long lol

if you need anymore info tell me. thanks again
Old 02-February-2009, 15:59
d50lund

Question Re: AOL customers + speed problems

i am paying for 8 meg speed from AOL but i am getting 228 Kbps. Thats too horrible to be with them...shame on AOL.
Originally Posted by sijuputheth View Post
What does it say in the small print ?
Old 08-February-2009, 10:08
Osram

SNR is Signal to Noise Ratio - It is only important to phonecalls I beleive.

Tags
abuse, adsl, aol, broadband, bt, company, connection, deals, email, facebook, free, google, happy, internet, isp, laptop, line, mobile, modem, network, ofcom, online, port, product, router, sky, slow, speed, speeds, talk, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, web