Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Orange / Wanadoo / Freeserve

Old 10-July-2010, 21:41
blake44

Smile Re: Freeserve/Orange E-mail settings

I take it that no one else is using freeserve,or I have not explained the problem good enough.I have done loads of web searches for the settings for FS.net and keep get sent to orange .

I have tryied to locate the setting from FS.net but to no avail
Originally Posted by adie_gibson View Post
ican not send emails
Old 24-October-2010, 12:54
MCP Guy

Default Re: Freeserve/Orange E-mail settings

Hey, i may become the biggest doofus on the planet right now, but i need help.

I have set up a computer for a friend of mine running on Orange Internet Service.

i have manage to get incoming email through on Microsoft Office Outlook, However cannot get it to send on Outgoing Mail Servers.

I have tried all combinations, Including "The outgoing mail sever requires authentication" using Der 3 encryption.

Is there anything simple that i could be missing?

Thanks in advance for your help

MCP Guy
Old 05-November-2010, 00:41
helloworld

MCP Guy - I have recently started having the same problem too. On Orange (inherited from being on Freeserve) and I can receive but not send any emails from Outlook. If I login on the Orange website and send emails from there it works, but then they are then received from there instead of Outlook as well.
I have tried all combinations of smtp. as the Outgoing server but to no avail. Also tried changing Port but again, no luck.
Old 05-November-2010, 10:58
helloworld

Just found out a fix (for me at least, hopefully for others)...
http://itcertpro.com/2007/11/outlook...after-upgrade/

Change the account an under More Settings and the Outgoing Server tab check the 'My Outgoing Server (SMTP) requires authentication' box and select the 'Log on to incoming main server before sending mail' box.

Hope it helps others!
Old 17-February-2011, 19:42
CalicoCat

Hello everyone
It seems this question has been asked 1000 times, and I've tried every variation, but I still can't get the blasted thing to work. So, I have an fsnet e-mail, which I've had for very many years, but I don't actually use Orange at all other than that. It's technically dial-up though you have to reactivate it every 90 days as they don't recognise my use of it. That's ok, as changing my very old e-mail address would involve a lot more hassle.

Anyway, I have a new laptop, and I'm using Thunderbird. I cannot get outgoing e-mail on this thing. I've tried every combination of smtp address (including virgin's variations, as I'm on virgin broadband. I've also tried adding an @fs thingy on the end of my username. To no avail. On my old laptop I also had Thunderbird, but the outgoing e-mails went south about 6-9 months ago. I tried fiddles, and it never worked again, so this isn't really new, but it would be nice finally to sort it.

Please help, I really don't want to have to change my e-mail address, as it will just be too arduous

thank you

The Cat
Old 10-October-2011, 21:03
McSauron

After trying most combinations to fix outgoing mail in mozilla

Instead of smtp.whatever i put in the 193.252.22.138

It was the user name format that was stopping it from working

my email address is yyyyyyy@xxxxxx.fsnet.co.uk

And the correct format that worked in outgoing server tab is xxxxx@fsnet.co.uk

everything sends fine now
Old 15-December-2011, 13:15
Steviestudy

Orange customers…. Unable to send emails via their mobile on a pop3 account – problem solved!
Incoming settings set as advised by your server provider (company account) on port 110.
Outgoing server settings User name=orange email address, password=orange password, SMTP=smtp.orange.net, port 587
IMPORTANT- Wi-fi needs switching OFF when sending email…hope this helps!!
Old 25-December-2011, 16:43
Tony-W

OK, I have a similar issue to CalicoCat, tried to access my fsnet email today, but it keeps telling me my details are not correct, which is odd, as nothing has changed since yesterday and the automated entry details were the same.... so, even though I entered my email and password manually, still it tells me my details are not correct!

I, like CalicoCat do not use Orange for anything other than email (for similar reasons) and Orange normally send me an email telling me to update the account status, which I haven't received, so my guess is that they never sent it, and so I need to contact them to reinstate my account. No matter how hard I look, I cannot locate any trace of contact details for email users in my predicament!

I cannot even reset my password, as the system does not recognise my details, and none of the help messages seem to remotely answer my issue!

Can anyone help?
Hello everyone
It seems this question has been asked 1000 times, and I've tried every variation, but I still can't get the blasted thing to work. So, I have an fsnet e-mail, which I've had for very many years, but I don't actually use Orange at all other than that. It's technically dial-up though you have to reactivate it every 90 days as they don't recognise my use of it. That's ok, as changing my very old e-mail address would involve a lot more hassle.

Anyway, I have a new laptop, and I'm using Thunderbird. I cannot get outgoing e-mail on this thing. I've tried every combination of smtp address (including virgin's variations, as I'm on virgin broadband. I've also tried adding an @fs thingy on the end of my username. To no avail. On my old laptop I also had Thunderbird, but the outgoing e-mails went south about 6-9 months ago. I tried fiddles, and it never worked again, so this isn't really new, but it would be nice finally to sort it.

Please help, I really don't want to have to change my e-mail address, as it will just be too arduous

thank you

The Cat
Originally Posted by CalicoCat View Post
Old 05-April-2012, 12:20
Screamer

Had this problem with Orange and had to leave in the end! :-(
Old 11-August-2013, 11:48

I have a freeserve e-mail account. I bought a new computer and went to Holland from UK where I attempted to activate the account from Microsoft office outlook. I used all my UK settings (which I had on record) and found I could receive emails but not sent them. I spent a very frustrating time trying to find useful information. Eventually I hit on the answer. I was trying to send emails using the server smtp.orangehome.co.uk as back home. This was the error. My wireless provider in Holland is Ziggo. I changed the server to smtp.ziggo.nl and this worked. I was stunned it was that simple.
Old 11-August-2013, 20:22

Cool Re: Freeserve/Orange E-mail settings

That's perfectly normal a-den.

With the exception of paid for email a/c's and email a/c's like gmail and hotmail, you have to be logged onto the ISP before you can send from there a/c. It's mainly designed to stop spam/relaying etc.

Welcome to The Scream!
Old 23-August-2013, 09:32
Screamer

I am on orange (freeserve email) and use a laptop for sending out my mails. For some reason incoming are fine but if I send out they do not go out in HTML?? This started to happen a couple of months ago - anyone know how I can change this?
Old 30-January-2014, 15:10
Screamer

Question Re: Freeserve/Orange E-mail settings

I am on orange (freeserve email) and use a laptop for sending out my mails. For some reason incoming are fine but if I send out they do not go out in HTML?? This started to happen a couple of months ago - anyone know how I can change this?
Originally Posted by Links177 View Post
I have exactly the same problem.

All is fine on my laptop but I have text-only outgoing emails on my office PC.
I simply cannot find anything under the obvious "email settings" on the orange mail client.

I clearly have something incorrect under Windows 7 or Internet Explorer on the PC because all is well on my laptop.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? It is frustrating when I forward received emails and they are then difficult to open for my friends.
Old 23-February-2014, 18:35

Similar problem trying to set up freeserve account on Thunderbird for a friend.
Initially T-bird would not accept the account details, but I finally found post #29 of this thread which gave settings that allowed T-bird to complete the account set-up.
I did this first on my own PC which downloaded all his emails. I deleted the account on my PC
Then I tried it on his PC and, whilst the account was created, it would not download any emails, saying there aren't any.
However they are all still visible via webmail interface, which I used to mark the lot as "Unread" just in case. They are also visible via the ancient Windows Mail program on his PC.
Test emails sent to the account are visible on both webmail and Winmail but not T-bird.
It's also complaining about the smtp password when I try to send a message.

BTW, during set-up T-bird complained that freeserve does not use any security (SSL) and sends the password unencrypted!
Old 10-May-2014, 18:57
Screamer

After a lot of fannying around, this finally worked for me. I dropped the "home" off the the smtp send address. Instead of smtp.orangehome.co.uk, changed it to smtp.orange.co.uk. Left incoming as pop.orangehome.co.uk and all is now well with my freeserve account. This is setup in my outlook account. Really hope this works for you guys.
Old 10-May-2014, 19:02
Screamer

Sorry update guys to previous post. change outgoing server port to 587 . hope this helps.
Old 28-November-2014, 09:31

Sorry for rehashing an old thread but I want to download all the emails in an old freeserve email account, I am moving from EE to another service provider and the freeserve email address will presumably cease to exist.
I installed thunderbird for this purpose but it doesn't seem to like freeserve.

When I go to set up the email account in thunderbird I click on the "skip this and use my existing email" and a "Mail account Setup" window opens. I enter the freeserve email address, say joe@jbloggs.freeserve.co.uk, and the password and then click continue, I eventually end up in the window shown in the attachment, the email address is a fake but will serve my needs for this post.

I have tried changing things in accordance with various posts in this thread and then click re-test but there seems to be no effect and I certainly don't get any further along towards being able to down load my emails.

I would be grateful for any help anyone could provide.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thunderbird-freeserve set up.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2373  

Tags
broadband, company, computer, connection, email, free, happy, home, internet, laptop, line, mail, mobile, new computer, orange, phone, port, router, settings, smtp, talk, talktalk, tesco, tools, virgin, web, windows