Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tesco ADSL Broadband

Old 06-February-2006, 20:18
aaaa

Default Experiences with Tesco broadband

This message is intended to document my experiences of using Tesco broadband during the first six+ months of using it. It is intended to inform other users and potential users of the service level received, customer service levels experienced and overall satisfaction with the service.

Sign-up and initial connection

The time between signing up and being connected was only about a week. The necessary filters and broadband modem arrived in good time. I was able to connect on the target activation date, although it was well into the evening. The service levels over the first few days were very poor. To make a comparison, it was better to dial-up to browse the internet. Thankfully the problems settled down within a few days and service was on the whole quite good. However, when they quote 512 Kbps, the realistic figure has often been more like 300-350 Kbps at best. This is, however, a reasonable download speed for most users, unless you have a lot of downloading to do. For me, I like web pages to download fast and also like the always on capacity of broadband.

Problems after a few months

After being satisfied with the service for a few months, I started to have problems. The problem was that, after web pages were requested, there was sometimes no activity for 1-3 minutes and then the web page would either download in a reasonably short period of time or partially download followed by another delay before the rest would download. Naturally, this was quite unacceptable, so I complained to Tesco.

At this stage I also checked my download speed through ADSLguide. I found that even when I was having problems downloading pages, the download speed was okay. I also checked my exchange status online and found that the port capacity was amber whereas the VP capacity was okay. BT had provided no timescale for resolving the problem with port capacity. I also found that there was never a problem with certain websites. This strongly suggested to me that the problem wasn't a speed problem, but a problem with finding the websites in the first place.

Trying to make a complaint (can of worms)

Tesco internet access have two main phone numbers. One is an 0845 number that is local rate wherever you are in the country. However, this line does not deal with complaints of a technical nature. The other line is (get this) 50p per minute line. If you phone the 0845 number and try and inform Tesco that you are not getting a satisfactory service, they tell you to phone the 50p per minute line. In my view, phoning a 50p per minute line for any more than a few minutes is never an option. I opted for contacting Tesco through email.

I informed Tesco of the problems I was having, including my investigations into the problem. The first thing they did was to send me a lengthy standard email containing problems that my computer could possibly have. I went through the email and ruled out everything that they believed could be causing the problems and got back to them.

I came down to the fact that I wanted them to speak to BT about the exchange. They would say via email that they will only contact BT if you phone the 50p per minute line and speak to someone on the phone. I would continually say that I was not willing to phone a 50p per minute line to explain the problem from scratch.

There was never a resolution reached, although service did improve for a period of about a month and a half. However, throughout this time, the port capacity of the exchange was still showing amber.

Problems re-emerge

Naturally, when there are no problems, you put the issues you have had to the back of your mind, however, the same problems have restarted. I have resumed my complaints to Tesco and have repeatedly asked them to contact BT to check the exchange has sufficient capacity. I have recently discovered, through being in at times of the day that I am not normally in, that service is perfect on weekdays during the day. Also, the service seems to be okay in the early hours of the morning. It doesn't take a genius to work out that residential internet use will be highest on weekday evenings and weekends, which is when the problems are worst. To me this strongly suggests a lack of capacity for the number of people using the service. I have tried to impart this information to Tesco through email. All I have got in reply is either instructions to check spyware or to call the 50p per minute line.

After some perserverence, they told me that someone would phone me back if I phoned the 50p per minute number. I have tried this twice, on one occasion I said that I wanted phoned back, but no one did, and another occasion where they said they couldn't phone me back straight away. They said I would be phoned the next day and I stayed in to receive the call - there was no phone call.

Conclusions

The moral of this story is that Tesco is okay if everything goes to plan. However, if things go wrong, be prepared for an unhelpful and uncooperative level of customer service. Be prepared for people not reading your emails properly and insisting that the problem is at your end. Take it from me, it is very frustrating to be paying 18 pounds per month for extremely small web pages to download in 1-3 minutes.

The 50p per minute line for technical problems should be reason enough to not use Tesco. If this was a line solely for people to get technical advice on their own equipment it would be understandable, but not when this is the line used to report poor service levels with broadband.

Having had these problems, I will be cancelling my subscription when the initial term of 12 months is up. I will be giving serious thought to whether to try another ADSL service or going for a service provided by a cable TV operator. I think that if I was to use an ADSL service I would opt for BT, so then at least you are dealing with the provider directly. In the case of Tesco, they buy the bandwidth from BT and, seemingly, are very unwilling to contact BT on your behalf when there are problems with capacity on an exchange. I have used a cable TV company for broadband in the past and have had no problems whatsoever. The trouble is that you have to get the wires run into your property.

If anyone else has any experiences, similar or otherwise, please feel free to add to the thread.

Regards

Unsatisfied Tesco customer

Last edited by aaaa; 07-February-2006 at 00:39.
Old 06-February-2006, 21:18
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Experiences with Tesco broadband

I think the real problem here is more universal than just Tesco, I have dealt with lots of them and virtually all have completely inept 'customer services' or whatever name they use instead.
Until they manage to actually COMMUNICATE with their customers (the service they should be providing ! ) we'll just keep on moaning at them and also those rubbish 'call centres' which are even worse !
Old 06-February-2006, 21:26
RockHell

i would agree very much with the crap customer services when today i had to phone them and it took me 5 times and that isnt the first instance a while back it took me 3 DAYS to speak to someone
Old 08-March-2006, 14:40
Keeleklogger

Angry Re: Experiences with Tesco broadband

we to are having problems with tesco broadband

It started a few weeks ago disconecting for 5 minutes then reconnecting, now it disconects between 6pm and 7pm everynight. At weekends we turn the computer on at about 10am and it works until 6 or 7pm then disconects wont work after that.

Phoned the help desk @ 50p per minute standard bullshit reinstall the modem change the filters round, try plugging the computer in the master socket

how can any of that be a problem when it works for 7 hours straight at weekends.

they dont know what the answer is

I do change ISP
Old 08-March-2006, 14:52

It could be down to line noise this will increase during the evening and could be just enough to make your line drop.

Are you using the speedtouch 330 modem usb?
Old 28-March-2006, 11:51
Dizzi

I thought about migrating to Tesco and emailed them a few questions taken from the sticky 'questions to ask a new ISP'. I got an automated response within a couple of hours saying they would get back to me within 48 hours and btw here's a tracking number for your enquiry, I have heard nothing since and that was over a week ago.

Methinks if this is the level of service offered to prospective customers then I certainly wouldn't hold out much hope if I were an existing one.
Old 28-March-2006, 18:00
aaaa

Maybe the questions were too taxing. You can find some of the information from their website though.

You may not require some of facilities the questions ask about. The reality is that you need to find a provider that suits you, not one that would be ideal for everyone.

You can't predict if you are going to get good service levels, however, as there are all sorts of factors that can effect this. A particular provider may be poor and then get its act together, while another may go from good to bad when it introduces new services. With ADSL, there are other factors to do with the exchanges and distance from the exchanges that mean everyone is not on a level playing field.

I don't think there is a definitive answer. You can at least avoid the BT exchanges issue by going with a cable provider, but this doesn't guarantee good service.

A 12 month contract is a long time when you are getting poor service, but this seems quite widespread.

I've never heard anything bad about Telewest and I used them for over a year without problems....

Last edited by aaaa; 28-March-2006 at 18:08.
Old 29-March-2006, 09:01
Dizzi

Thanks for your reply, aaaa, you have made some valid points.

Really all I want is a reliable connection, I accept connection speeds will be slower at peak times, I have 2 teenagers and know as soon as they arrive home from school on goes MSN etc, I also want an ISP that doesn't block P2P ports (I'm with TalkTalk) and if capping takes place then I want to know about it, I don't think that's too much to ask for.

If I could get cable in my area then I would definetly go fo a cable provider.

I emailed Tesco to clarify a few simple points not made clear in their terms and conditions, eg as I already have a Broadband connection and my own router, would I be tied to a 12 month contract with them? I can't see that as a 'taxing' question, maybe they don't want customers who ask questions.

No matter they are definetly off the list now.
Old 14-May-2006, 22:29
Chiltern PC

Unhappy Experiences with Tesco broadband and lack of help

I install and maintain Home PCs and networks - my client already on tescos' dial-up wanted to keep their email and have broadband - and so I advised them to upgrade. The package arrived - installation was smooth until we tried to access the internet.
We connected but could not retrieve any web pages. we tried email - we could send but not recieve any emails. after trying the modem in the master socket (the socket underneath the master socket) and removing norton and trying a standalone router - still we could not connect properly- finally we called tescos. "after following tests and advice and trying various options - tescos help desk said "its a BT problem - we can't fix it and we don't know when BT can fix it - please use the back up dialup until further notice" - they called it a "DSK-U problem" and said it was down to BT. I called BT and they said we have to speak to tesco as they own the broadband line. - now we have no braodband without a date when we will.

I would reccoemend users getting broadband straight from BT as it removes any middle men. tesco's areblaming BT and BT anre saying we have to speak to tescos, who are not doing anything.
Old 15-May-2006, 22:28
aaaa

Tesco should therefore speak to BT and follow it through to a succesful conclusion.

Unfortunately I would not even be so sure that it is BT that is the problem. In my experience, Tesco will use anything to divert the blame.

You can check your exchange status online at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and if it comes back okay, I would smell a fish.

Good luck.
Old 15-May-2006, 23:04
Zer02004

Unfortunately, these "status checkers" apply to IPStream delivery systems only as does the very useful BT Speed Test.

Before condemning your ISP or BTw however, ensure that the problem lies with them and not with your equipment! The simplest method of achieving this where a standard NTE-5 master socket is fitted is to connect directly to the hidden test socket beneath the removable lower faceplate. This eliminates all internal wiring, filters and telephony equipment.

Also, it's worth remembering that for each "speed upgrade" your SNR will drop around 6dB on average. So an upgrade from 512K to 2M will result in a SNR drop of around 12dB. An SNR of 10db or below is likely to cause problems.
Old 15-May-2006, 23:25
Chiltern PC

as I said in my post - I checked with the master socket (underneath)
my scream is that Tesco's simply says "oh its BT and we'll get back to you one day.."

no - "we will call you asap" or "we will do our best" its all so of matter of fact , not our problem!
at least with other ISPs suchas nildram or eclipse they raise a fault number with BT and keep the punter informed.
Tesco's broadband helpline is like asking one of their checkout staff at the till to complain about the condition of the food being sold on the shelves
Old 16-May-2006, 13:07
OMalley

aaaa

I too have been having similar problems where a web page takes a minute or so to start appearing and, when it does, the rest of the page loads reasonably quickly. This happens with most web sites but not all, and happens every night I try. I previously sumbitted a post about this (http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s....php?p=180208). Whenever I use ADSLguide, it reports a good download speed as you have found.

I did not think to check my exchange status but will do so tonight (at work currently). On the http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ site, I cannot see any information on "Port Capacity" ("VP" capacity is there though). Where did you get this information?

I was wondering what made you decide that the Exchange was at fault - is it simply because you are seeing a "Port Capacity" problem? I have complained to Tesco already and, like a lot of others in this forum, was told to check my PC for spyware, clear cache etc all to no avail. If I can conclude that my Exchange is at fault too, then I will complain to Tesco/BT and see what happens although probably not much by the sound of things.

If the problem does lie with BT Exchanges, it would be good to get a group of people complaining at the same time, perhaps through this forum?

ZER02004 -
Thanks for your quick posting and I'll try DrTCP and my master socket too to see if this makes any difference.
Old 16-May-2006, 14:46
Zer02004

VP Status is the figure that you're looking for. Currently, according to +Net, mine is at amber and I'm seeing very little, if any deterioration.
Don't forget that these checkers apply to IPStream customers only.
Old 16-May-2006, 16:48
Chiltern PC

your said"I was wondering what made you decide that the Exchange was at fault - is it simply because you are seeing a "Port Capacity" problem? I have complained to Tesco already and, like a lot of others in this forum, was told to check my PC for spyware, clear cache etc all to no avail. If I can conclude that my Exchange is at fault too, then I will complain to Tesco/BT and see what happens although probably not much by the sound of things."

well after following all the stadnard advice (remove firewalls,norton, to go the master master socket) AND also using a BT router with built-in diagnostics to test the line - I phoned the tesoc help line - after they made me do the same stuff again (even though I explained I used a ADSL router)
they told me that there is a new system that BT are putting tesco customers on called (i think) a DSU-K and that 20% or so cusomters are finding that NO web pages come back. - its not a slow line - its NO responses even though the lower layers say there is a connection. the tescos help desk said they were in talks with BT to solve the problem - but HAVE NOT come back with a date. I would NOT reccoemend anyone using a 3rd party supplier - only those that are incharge of their own equipment.
Old 16-May-2006, 17:15
Zer02004

What Tesco have told you is absolute twaddle! Get trading standards involved immediately. You can direct trading standards here and I will talk to them personally if they need further info.
Old 23-May-2006, 07:38
lee2006

im with tesco but was going to leave them to go to tiscalis 2mb service, tesco 1mb slows to a crwal between 4pm and up to 11pm, this is only true when i was web browsing, p2p downloads would reach the proper 1mb speed, online speed checkers will show a high speed as it did when i checked, however web browsing is really really slow fir me between 4pm- 11pm, i cant complain about customer service though, all emails anserwed within a few hours
Old 23-May-2006, 08:05

You dont want to move to Tiscali just have a read of the forums about them.
Old 23-May-2006, 22:20
Zer02004

Pans and fires spring to mind!
Old 20-June-2008, 10:22
melrose Diack

Thumbs up Re: Experiences with Tesco broadband

Hello Ever since I tried to view the Tesco competition or survey whatever it was I tried to get out of the system and it crashed on me. After that I could no longer receive incoming emails. It has taken me weeks of trying to sort this out with BT and still not happy with what has happened or in place.
Tesco must have had some fault at their end and I have only just by chance found out that other people have had trouble. I shall be getting hold of BT for some answers and to look into this properly. Thank you to the original writer.
Thank you
Mel Diack
Old 07-February-2009, 22:11
jackster

Thumbs down Re: Experiences with Tesco broadband

My Tesco Internet stopped working and after a month or so even they gave up as they could not get BT to fix the line.

Meanwhile I also had Tesco Home Phone who charged me over 30 of calls to Tesco Internet which they will not reimburse as they say it is a seperate company to Tesco Internet.

The complaints service for both Tesco Home Phone and Tesco Internet is appalling with no escalation procedure.

I would not recommend them.
Old 08-February-2009, 05:35
Screamager

well,i had a look at the tesco broadband site,and was shocked to see how much you all are being ripped off by them,honestly they have to be one of the most expensive isp's offering slow,and capped broadband packages,if its a 2mb service you want then why not check to see if you can get ukonline llu at your local exchange,its 14.99 per month unlimited data usage,and freephone should you have any probs tesco "every little helps" not you the customer that is a fact,but they will empty your purse or wallet gladly
Old 17-February-2009, 13:33
frdjns74

Cheers very useful thread, I an on tescos broadband and never actually checked the difference
Old 12-October-2009, 22:07
emma258

i've had major issues with tesco broadband. i dont really know were to start as it has been ongoing for a while now. i took the unlimited package at 24.44 per month. since the beggining it ran very very slow. when we contacted tesco they told us it would take a few days to reach full speed.wot a load of crap. i still have the tesco broadband which we now do not use we are awaiting confirmation on cancelation. to top that off i pay my bill each month by debit card 2 weeks before tthe direct debit is due. they have now decided to take payment via direct debit EARLY. so basically i have paid this months bill twice. after 5 phone calls they then agreed to refund me my money which i was told 3 weeks i would have to wait. i then asked for refund on the overdraft charges as this was no fault of my own they took payment twice and too early. i was told no refund will be made because this is no fault to tesco broadband.it states in my contract that i will be reinbursed for incidents caused by tesco broadband. there customer service stinks. they are rude and arrogant you have to keep phoning several times a day to get anywere with them and then even after that they fob you off with another story. after finally speacking to a supervisor he seemed genuine enough and told me i'd recieve my refund to my debit card on thursday. WE WILL SEE.............
Old 29-March-2011, 22:34
peeved

They should stick to selling fruit and veg rather than pretending to be a telecommunications powerhouse.

Naturally there was no connection on the first day and customer 'care' fobbed me off with a new microfilter without them bothering to check if there was a more serious problem. It was only after 3 days of me ringing them that they bothered to check the line and found it was unconnected.

Since then, due to the awful performance, I have had reason to phone them pretty much every other day. It took them 3 weeks to realise that there was a cap on my speed, giving me 0.5mbs ( according to them I should be getting 5.5mbs). Since then it has peaked at 3.5 but is an average of 0.85.

I have worked with Turkish and Romanian sweatshops that have shown a higher level of competence and customer care than those clowns at Tesco.

Tags
broadband, bt, cable, company, comparison, computer, delay, email, free, happy, home, internet, isp, line, make, master socket, modem, online, phone, port, slow, speed, speedtester, speedtouch, survey, talk, tesco, tiscali, web