Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 30-August-2006, 14:02
Riccardinho

Default Cannot get the Tiscali tag removed from my phone line

Have just moved into a new house and tried to order broadband (with Pipex, my old provider). Was told this could not be done as there was an existing broadband product on the line - was advised by Pipex to contact BT. Did so only for BT to tell me they couldn't do anything and that I should contact my ISP. Tried again and got the same message.

Contacted the old owners of the property who told me they had Tiscali broadband on the line, but that this had been moved to their new house. However, the tag is still on the line.

Contacted Ofcom who told me Tiscali are responsible for removing the marker. However just cannot get through to Tiscali at all to get them to do this.

Have been in new house for nearly 2 weeks now without broadband. Running out of options other than cancelling the phone line and getting Telewest in (which I'm loathe to do as they are a bunch of idiots from past experience).

Can anyone from Tiscali help me please?
Old 30-August-2006, 15:12
Zer02004

Default Re: Cannot get the Tiscali tag removed from my phone line

OFCOM have a complaint form which specifically deals with this problem.
You should also try calling the BTw tag removal line on 0800 169 0934 (Choose option 1).
If these avenues fail, post back in a week or so and I'll give you further advice.
Old 30-August-2006, 19:37
jetmizter2

I know this may sound a dumb question....
But so many times here i am reading of problems with ISP's not only tiscali with reference to services not provided and problems like the above is there any down to earth reason why changing ISP or anything else Interent based these days is so damn difficult?

in the days of a dial up i know ppl chopped and changed ISP's almosy willy nilly.....? Is BB its own worst enemy?
Old 30-August-2006, 20:22
Zer02004

With dialup, there was no equipment to install at the exchange. With PAYG dialup it was even easier as no real contract was in effect.
Old 30-August-2006, 21:39
shaniannie

Have you tried calling the cancellations line at Tiscali??? Have you tried emailing Tiscali with the contact emails there are on this board? A well written email (with a few threats of making their unhelpful ways public) is usually really useful
Old 31-August-2006, 14:51
Quaver

Maybe you should get the original Tiscali subscriber (old owners) to get them to cancel.
Old 31-July-2007, 09:58
kg699

I have been having the same problem since April 2007, it's now the last day of July and the tags are still on my line; following call after call, week after week I have been told constantly that there is a problem with my account and that the order to remove the tags had been sent to BT; In total Tiscali have allegedly sent five orders to BT to remove the tags, however I have contacted BT and it has been confirmed that no order had ever been made; Tiscali have no interest in keeping check on there tag removal system, when the request to remove the tags has been made no one seems to monitor the request to make sure the order is carried out, they wait for the customer to contact them before they check the system.
I have never had a problem with Tiscali whilst they provided there internet service, but wait until you try and cancel, no chance! I have just contacted Ofcom and watch dog so I am in hope that I will be sorted soon and I will get my internet back which has been gone for three months.

Advice:- if you have cancelled your Tiscali and have had the same problem, don't wait like I did, as soon as you find that the tags are still there, contact Ofcom.
Old 31-July-2007, 13:24
Smiff77

kg699
I had a similar problem with Sky BB with the removal of their tag on my line. In the end I made a complaint to Otelo, the ombudsman, and the tag was finally removed after nearly nine months. You have to be in dispute for over 12 weeks, which you have. Dig out all the e-mails and letters you have sent, try to remember how many times you have called Tiscali as you will need this info. Check out the Otelo web site for the phone number, they are very helpful. If the tags were on the line when you move into a house, this is the only time that BT can remove them without any authority from the BB company. Good Luck
Old 31-July-2007, 16:31
vivaciti

There have been a large number of people (some of them customers of ours now) that had to take the drastic action of having a new line installed to get ADSL installed and ceasing the old line once the new was live, then transfering the number. That took Tiscali to court to recover the costs and each one of them had won their case that we have heard of. Of course it would be wise to seak advise on this before you take this course of action.
Old 23-September-2011, 19:07
Katherine

I am in exactly the same situation in which Tiscali have a tag on my line and I have been without broadband since Friday 16th. I contacted Pipex who have now been taken over by TalkTalk and TalkTalk do not recognize my account details and therefore I am not able to get the Mac code removed.

No internet provider is able to supply me with broadband unless I get the tag removed.

I contacted
Ofcom 0300 123 3333
who as a good will gesture said they would send an email to Pipex as I explained that I am disabled and reliant on broadband all the time. I was informed that this will take 5 working days.

I also informed Ofcom that I had checked my bank details and the last time I had paid Pipex Ltd was in 2008 I also explained that I had a direct debit with them and I had never cancelled my broadband as I am 100% reliant on it. Because Pipex (TalkTalk) no longer recognized me this is when I checked my bank statements and realized the last payment was in 2008 despite the fact that I have been on broadband up untill last friday.

It seems that the only solution I had was to get BT (they appear to be the only company that can do this) to give me a new line and be on 18 month contract with them, which will include my telephone line and 50gb broadband. Once my new BT landline is installed and activated with a new telephone number I can get BT to disconnect my old line and have my old BT number on my new line.

I hope this information serves as a rather extreme solution to a infuriating situation for people in the same predicament as myself.

The earliest the engineer is able to come out is on 17th October I placed the order with BT on 20 September 2011.

This really is not a great solution and I would much prefer to have Tiscali remove my tag.

I was on the telephone for two days trying to get through to talk talk and I categorically came up against a brick wall. On many occasions the phone went dead and they kept passing me to Pipex and TalkTalk business. They eventually told me what section to go to have the tag removed but once in this section I was left with continuous music.

Two intense days and I gave up.

Ideally I would rather Plusnet to be my internet provider as they are cheaper etc., but I have no choice except to go with BT for 18 month contract.
Old 26-September-2011, 15:27

getting a new line installed is an extreme solution, can understand your frustration,

I would use the ISPA complaint form method which has worked in the past for similar issues http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t28068.html

also BT should be able to tell you who owns the tag on the line and give you a way to contact them,.

if you're committed to the new line route then it's largely academic now but there should be a way to get the tag removed if you can find the right person (easier said than done sometimes!)
Old 26-September-2011, 15:53

From Plusnets website.

There's a Tag on the line

A tag, or marker, is placed on a line to indicate that the line cannot have a broadband service installed on it. There are 2 types of marker.

Broadband marker - this is the most common marker, placed by another service provider when they are responsible for providing a service on the line. If someone moves house but the marker is not removed, this will prevent us from placing a broadband order.

If there's a tag on the line from another provider, we'll contact BT Wholesale and arrange to have it removed.

Hard marker - this shows there is something physical stopping the broadband being activated on the line. If the property is old, it may have an old style BT bell box (installed before modern phone sockets and didn't have a connection point, as the phone was effectively hardwired into the line).

Without a phone socket, there would be nowhere to plug your microfilters in. It would also mean there wouldn't be a connection for your broadband equipment, so the line can't have a broadband order placed on it. If there is a hard marker, you'll have to call your telephone provider and ask them to remove the marker from the database. This will then allow us to place your broadband order.
Old 28-September-2011, 11:31
Katherine

getting a new line installed is an extreme solution, can understand your frustration,

I would use the ISPA complaint form method which has worked in the past for similar issues http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/t28068.html

also BT should be able to tell you who owns the tag on the line and give you a way to contact them,.

if you're committed to the new line route then it's largely academic now but there should be a way to get the tag removed if you can find the right person (easier said than done sometimes!)
Originally Posted by silver View Post
The tag on my line is with Tiscali. I already mentioned this to BT who advised the only way to free this would be to get a new telephone line.
Old 28-September-2011, 11:36
Katherine

From Plusnets website.

There's a Tag on the line

A tag, or marker, is placed on a line to indicate that the line cannot have a broadband service installed on it. There are 2 types of marker.

Broadband marker - this is the most common marker, placed by another service provider when they are responsible for providing a service on the line. If someone moves house but the marker is not removed, this will prevent us from placing a broadband order.

If there's a tag on the line from another provider, we'll contact BT Wholesale and arrange to have it removed.

Hard marker - this shows there is something physical stopping the broadband being activated on the line. If the property is old, it may have an old style BT bell box (installed before modern phone sockets and didn't have a connection point, as the phone was effectively hardwired into the line).

Without a phone socket, there would be nowhere to plug your microfilters in. It would also mean there wouldn't be a connection for your broadband equipment, so the line can't have a broadband order placed on it. If there is a hard marker, you'll have to call your telephone provider and ask them to remove the marker from the database. This will then allow us to place your broadband order.
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I will try to contact BT again – thank you for your advice.
Old 29-September-2011, 09:31

The tag on my line is with Tiscali. I already mentioned this to BT who advised the only way to free this would be to get a new telephone line.
Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
still, might be worth filling out the ISPA complaint form?

Tags
123, adsl, broadband, bt, company, connection, dead, deals, email, free, internet, isp, line, make, marker, music, ofcom, phone, product, public, sky, sound, tags, talk talk, talktalk, tiscali, tiscali broadband, web