Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 17-October-2003, 17:05
the coop

Angry Tiscali A Horror story

As suggested heres the horror story had it installed in March, 3 days before it worked, countless problems, very slow at times latest figures 130/ 90 hope that makes sense.

Down loaded an optimizer they suggested , crap it crashed the pc, made it even worse,

Cannot get on the home page at times very slow browsing takes ages for pages to open , reminds of the 56k days. Modem will not connect yellow red, have to reboot to get the green light now its disconnecting. after some time spent on phone they tell me its the chipset on the board thats not giving enough power.
Was told this in July and purchased new board, and processor, still no better. so the bottom line is Tiscali will not discuss cancellation instead they insist it is a mother board problem.

So they tell me to go on to USBMAN.com to download the newest USB driver which i have already with the MB.

I phoned them to cancel and they wont even discuss it all i get is is the same crap, so i am contemplating buying a pci USB card to see if it makes any difference. Been informed on this forum that it will not take 3 months to clear the line as tiscali told me.
So my advice dont go with tiscali they are a joke, this is most likely old news but at least i have got some advice, and thanks for the info any more suggestions would be a gem TA BOB
Old 17-October-2003, 21:57

It's hard to know what might be causing the problem,. if you want to totally rule out the computer as the cause of the issue then another option is to get a 'powered hub' - plug the USB modem into that and it powers the modem,. I am not sure which hub is best for that - so hopefully somone can advise ?

the other option,. do you have an old p100 or anything like that which you don't use much - if you do then there's a really neat way round your problem

Sil

PS,. I moved/linked the thread - cos I think more people who know abt BB will see it here (hope that's ok!)

Last edited by silver; 23-September-2004 at 07:58.
Old 17-October-2003, 22:03

do you have an old p100 or anything like that which you don't use much
I`m gonna kill a kitten everytime you say that, from now on
Old 17-October-2003, 22:17

- but,.,. but!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sil
Old 18-October-2003, 03:39
nemmie

More Info would be very useful though.

What Modem do you have? Which OS?

I have read a lot on the Tiscali forums and I may be able to help
Old 18-October-2003, 17:22
twolions

Default Don't use USB hub with Tiscali broadband!

I started a Tiscali broadband subscription recently and they gave me a free SAGEM modem. I had some initial trouble getting it to work and rang Tiscali. I'm using a laptop & they said it wouldn't send enough power to the modem and I ought to use a powered USB hub (or else a desktop!) Notice- they don't ask you what machine they use before you sign up.

The advice turned out to be crap. I bought a Belkin powered USB hub - good brand, reliable. I got the broadband connection to work. Over the next week or so my computer started to hang when suddenly CPU usage went up to 98% (as monitored by XP task manager). This happened a few times a day, & eventually every 15 minutes when browsing and eBaying!

I used Microsoft's online reporting to send MS a report but they had nothing on the situation in their knowledge base.

Eventually I stopped tearing my hair out long enough to try connecting the moden direct to the laptop's USB port and bypass the hub. Everything has worked OK since and no overloads! And other devices are fine with the hub.

So, hubs will mess up your broadband!
Old 18-October-2003, 17:26

Hi twolions,

Welcome to TS!

Thanks for the info about the USB powered hub

I am pretty sure some people have had good results with powered hubs, perhaps not the one you have! I think there are some which do work? (can't remember offhand!).

Sil
Old 18-October-2003, 23:30
the coop

Thanks to all.

operating system win 98SE
GA-7VA MB
AMD 2.2 Gig Xp
512 DDR

I did what tiscali said and purchased a Belkin powered usb it has made no difference at all, still suffering disconnection.

In fact today has been quite severe in the disconnection department.

There fore i think it is time to depart from Tiscali, i will not spend any more money trying to correct their problem, they refuse to supply a new modem, the current one is a Sagem ,they say it is not faulty. Many thanks for the advice i will post back on here to inform how the cancellation is going thanks again Bob
Old 19-October-2003, 12:01
twolions

Bob - May I make a couple of suggestions before you give up?

1. Don't use the Belkin hub (see my earlier post.) Uninstall the Sagem driver. Disconnect the modem. Then read the modem manual carefully and reinstall the driver step by step, only connecting the modem exactly when instructed by the manual.

2. Try replacing your RJ11 cable (the one that came with the modem) with another one. It could be a cable fault. I'm using Belkin heavy-duty cables, chained with RJ11 connectors, because I've a long run from the phone point downstairs to my study upstairs. I don't use the cable supplied with the modem at all. Also try replacing your ADSL filter too.

Hope this helps.
Old 19-October-2003, 18:21
the coop

two lions thanks for the suggestion will try it cant do any harm after all its never worked right, thanks again Bob
Old 03-December-2003, 15:44
Nick Fincham

Default Tiscali broadband problems

My problems started with Tiscali from the moment I got my hands on their package. Software loaded nicely, tried to log on only to find flashing ADSL light on modem and error messege 680, can't find line. Deinstalled and reinstalled software. Same result. This was the start of a less than beautiful relationship with the Tiscali call centre/help desk. I was constantly cut off and everytime I phoned (at some expense) I was connected to a different person and had to explain all over again. Having spent the last two weeks trying to get the modem to connect, and having tried everything suggested by Tiscali. Apart from checking the settings on the pc, ensuring the usb ports and modem are being recognised. I have also reconfigured the modem. The modem attempted to adjust the bandwidth. Next error message informed me that I had other usb applications using the bandwidth. News to me!! However I disconnected all usb devices and tried again. No change there. I have disconnected all the phones, tried different phone sockets, and even loaded the software onto my laptop and tried to connect with that. Nothing works. By chance I was talking to my next door neighbour and she signed upto Tiscali in the summer and had exactly the same problems as I am experiencing...funny that. I am now seriously antagonised and on the point of telling Tiscali that as they are not providing a service I see no reason to pay. Has anyone got the name and number of their customer service manager?
Sorry if this is a bit incoherent, but I feel a bit better now
....Nick F.
Old 03-December-2003, 16:43

Its good to share isn't it Nick
Old 03-December-2003, 16:44

Thumbs down

Welcome to The Scream! Nick.
Sorry to hear of your troubles with Tiscali - I have had a Worldonline (now Tiscali) ADSL for 2.5 years.
I don't think that you will have any luck trying to speak to a CS Manager, they seem very thin on the ground (that's assuming that any actually exists!). Your only choice(!) is the premium rate phone number you've already had the pleasure of using! You could try an email to them at support@tiscali.co.uk, you will (eventually) get a response but what response, er, remains to be seen.
I'm hoping other Screamers will make some polite, but nevertheless useful, suggestions.
Stick around.

PS: Glad to note that you are feeling a little better all ready
Old 03-December-2003, 17:16
我們被注定

I think I may need to invest in a hub or a new PSU as when I'm doing heavy downlaoding my modem switches it's selfe off completely. Could this be the cause?
I notice those hubs aren't very expensive at all.

Beefy.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 03-December-2003, 18:22
Appuleius

I have been trying to get broadband off Tiscali for about 2 weeks with a lot of crap from them, I am now thinking an extra 2 for BT might be worthwhile.

Problem is Tiscali says my line is "amber" and cant supply me, a BT engineer did a test on my line and said I am 3.69Km (max is now 6Km) from the digital exchange and the line is fine! I also did a 17070 test and it came up ok for noise and length.

Tiscali had provisionally accepted me for a "3 times" connection but Tiscali rejected it after two days and now they say I have to wait 10 days for a cancellation to go through? Today they say they can now sign me up for a "3times" broadband but not a 512K connection. They said sign up for a "3times" account and upgrade to the full package, NOT BL**DY LIKELY can you imagine the cock up.

If they rejected the order why did they not cancel the order??????????
Old 04-December-2003, 18:43
MrEMan

ive had tiscali broadband for about 6 months now and i just recently really started to use it (dlling alot of stuff) and then one night suddenly bam, it stops and then starts and then stops etc.
so i ring up tiscali (eesh i almost with i hadnt, talk about BAD service) and they tell me i have been going over the limit to what i can download, so i ask them what the cap is and they tell me its ONLY 150mb/day!!!!
i mean its absolutely PATHETIC
anyways i wanna change, can anybody here tell me of the best broadband isp for 30 a month pls. thx
Old 06-December-2003, 14:36

more similar probs listed in <thread>:Tiscali Broadband

Avoid Tiscali

Sil
Old 06-December-2003, 18:54
Screamager

The USB self powered HUB that I used (ages ago) to resolve my modem related issues was from Novatech.

MrEMan...I can recommend Nildram as an ISP and i'm sure Sil would recommend Eclipse

'Slo
Old 07-December-2003, 10:43
我們被注定

'Slo did it fix your modem problems?

Beefy.

"Thinking about what you might not be able to control, only wastes time and energy, till it eventually becomes your enemy."
Old 22-January-2004, 14:28
turvy

To Nick
What joy to find someone else has had the same problems!
My experience of Tiscali BB is identical, even down to the bandwidth message. BT has visited 3 times, the line should be in perfect condition now !! Have yet to have the "always on" BB experience. Tiscali have finally agreed that the modem is faulty. Await the arrival of a new one and hope it performs better, but I'm not hopeful
Old 23-January-2004, 13:07
trevorjaydee

Default Tiscali

I've been using Tiscali broadband for a year and have to say that I have encountered inexplicable problems from time to time, which suddenly clear up without any engineering by me! The explanation given by tech support are often regurgitated from a standard list of options, which I found to be the case when I was on AOL with a standard 56K modem.

I am pursuing the possibility of transferring to another ISP and wonder whether there a survey has been carried out on the most effective broadband provider?
Old 23-January-2004, 14:25

From comments on here:

nildram http://www.nildram.net/
pipex http://www.pipex.net
eclipse http://www.eclipse.net.uk/
freedom2surf http://www.freedom2surf.net

are all recommended
Old 23-January-2004, 21:13
Appuleius

Thanks Ian, something very strange happens when ever I try and connect to Pipex home site, the page never loads and the internet connection seems to lock up, the task manager (ctrl-alt-del) shows CPU useage 100% totally confused???? any ideas, perhaps Tickly dont want their customers hooking up to Pipex???? I do run Evidence Eliminator could this be causing the problem?? any info greatly appreciated
Old 24-January-2004, 08:20

Sounds like your pc rather than tiscallywag. the page contains a load of javascript for the menus, what browser are you using ?

try a direct link http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/sal...s/residential/
Old 02-February-2004, 22:03
Zer02004

@ the coop:
Your board is capable of powering that modem. I've had no problems whatsoever with that combination on about half a dozen machines. Don't believe their excuses about chipsets and power requirements - This only affects a miniscule minority of users!

@The Beef:
If you are using XP, ensure that power saving is not enabled for your modem.
Old 06-February-2004, 11:30
adrianbatchelor

Question PC Turns itself off

I have just signed up for the Tiscali 150k service and thankfully it appears to work OK. However, I have a strange phenomenon that someone her might be able to help with. Every so often, when the Sagem modem is connected and working, and I try to do other things at the same time (windows explorer, moving files around in outlook express), the computer turns itself off and then immediately comes back on again (as if you had pushed the reset).
Is this anything to do with the modem using too much power from the USB port and if so, is there any way round it apart from buying a new PC?
Old 06-February-2004, 16:35
trevorjaydee

One other problem with Tiscali! I tried changing to a lower speed as an economy measure but Tisali have put up all sorts of obstacles and in the end invited me to write to the head office. I received no reply to my letter and my emails have gone unanswered. Although a lower price has been introduced for the highest speed Tiscali are not giving existing customers the benefit of the reduction. It's a bit of a swiz and they are proving to be the most miserly, unhelpful and money grabbing ISP it has been my misfortune to deal with.
Old 07-February-2004, 13:29
turvy

Default Slow Synch speed

I hope I'm not speeking too soon, but synch problems seem to have been solved. After I started posting messages on Tiscali's Customer Service moderated BB forums things started to happen. We were contacted by Customer Service, yes, really, they phoned us!!! A different sagem modem made no difference whatsoever. They were eventually persuaded to send us the Alcatel modem. We installed it last night (they phoned us to help us through the procedure and check that it was working - amazing).

Now our problem is that everytime we change user (XP Home), the new user has to log in again. Had this before and fixed it, can't remember where to find the right dialogue box. Anyone help please?

So, if anyone wants some action from Tiscali, I recommend putting a post on one of the boards mentioned above. It worked for us
Old 08-February-2004, 11:48
trevorjaydee

I think that my comments on poor Tiscali service, on this forum, have produced results. I have now received an email to say that 'my request for a speed downgrade - is being processed'. Why on earth does it take so long to process? Tiscali accepted my original application very quickly indeed! My bill this month is at the top level - let's see what next month brings!
Old 08-February-2004, 12:06

Good luck!

Tags
adsl, aol, belkin, broadband, cable, cancellation, computer, digital, eclipse, email, home, hub, internet, isp, line, lock, make, mechanics, modem, netgear, network, phone, premium rate, router, share, software, tiscali, tiscali broadband, windows, wireless