Old 27-April-2002, 01:44
Dantony

Perhaps pensioners should be discontinued at 75 so that the state will be able to pay decent pensions to the 65 to 75 age group as the ratio of working age to pension age gets lower.

Dantony
Old 27-April-2002, 02:46
squidgy

Well it's certainly an idea, and I dare say they could reduce the difference between state benefits for those with children and those without, and get away with it, if that policy was implemented - but somehow I don't think it would be a very popular one!

I sincerely hope that I live well past seventy five, and even if I should develop a terminal illness which makes it look like that won't happen, I still wouldn't begrudge anyone who does ....
Old 27-April-2002, 03:24
Dantony

Squidgy, I'll be 77 on Tuesday and I've been ready to go for some time now, I'm just blocking a house that could suit a whole family and I'm not really doing anything useful, apart from trying to wind people up occasionally.

I expect there are things that I could do but I'm too lazy and too tired, don't seem to be able to sleep properly until 6 or 7 in the morning, then only for an hour or two at a time until midday.

So let's have compulsory euthenasia at 75, except for politicians, who should go at 55.

Or increase the pension fourfold at 75, then I could buy a 17" TFT monitor, this 14" CR tube is getting difficult to read.

Dantony
Old 27-April-2002, 08:48
fridgebuzz

@dantony...77 hey.... Good for you m8

there's opportunities for old blokes out there to get money.....look at Fagin..

Just an idea m8
Old 27-April-2002, 10:11
squidgy

Congratulations!

Going back to the original point (though only for a moment, I don't intend to make a habit of this! ) - people who can't service their borrowing interest out of their state benefits.

If that happens to you, then yeah, you need to get a job just like everyone else. The banks must have thought that this is unlikely to cause you a big problem, because if they thought it would, they would never have lent you the money in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that they're only supposed to accept clean money anyway. If you try to pay your bills with dirty money, then you could find that the bank takes it away from you anyway but doesn't credit your account with it. Having said that, I don't know anyone that this has happened to, but then, I don't know anyone who's admitted to resorting to crime to pay their bills / trying to launder money through their creditors either.

Course, there's always the possibility that you haven't bothered to claim what you're entitled to though. And you could say that in threads like http://www.the-scream.co.uk/forums/s...?threadid=5186 some people could be said to be guilt tripping you into not claiming.

But honestly - you need to be a stronger person than that. Sure, I could go shoplifting, and then, if I get caught, say it's because I can't afford my food, because I missed a couple of week's benefit because AJ113 guilt-tripped me into not claiming it. But I don't, because I'm a better person than that. It's still absolutely no excuse.
Old 27-April-2002, 12:00
Dicky

Exclamation Oy!

Dantony don't you dare feel that you have to be useful in order to carry on living!
There is more to life than productivity rates and work quotas.

Put the Be into human being.
Just living life and finding happiness can be a lesson to others.
Old 27-April-2002, 12:10
tony

Default a lighter note

Squidgy

not bothered how 'dirty' my money is, it can have ink marks, be soiled or covered in s**t, these days you can put it through the washing machine and it comes out clean.

is that what they mean when they talk about laundering cash

tony
Old 27-April-2002, 13:56
Dicky

Arrow

Is that coin or paper?
Daddies Sauce works wonders on 1p, 2p coins. Just pop em in for an hour or so.
Old 27-April-2002, 14:11
tony

not bothered Dicky, it all spends, a wheelbarrow full of pennies would not hurt
Old 27-April-2002, 15:11
Art_Garfunkel

Just catching up now and I want to say that I like and agree with Ann's points about the reasons for having children.

Of course if we condemned people for having children when they couldn't really afford them that would deny the right to breed to much of the country. (and then who would do the cleaning etc for the upper classses)
It would also apply to 3rd world countries where people have kids just in time for then next famine/flood. We give them money/food and we don't even ask them to fill in forms for it.

STS you seemed to say that criminals only steal/mug for profit? I wonder about that considering the extent of the unjuries in some cases. Perhaps we only hear about the bad ones, but it does seem they are overenthusiastic when it comes to pensioners etc.
Old 27-April-2002, 17:15
STS

Default Because

Hi,

Because crime and drugs usually go together and the dirty drug infested cockroaches that beat up an old lady for her fish and chip supper (she has died now GRHS) probably enjoyed themselves.

The old tend not to fight back you see......... Easy pickings.

STS
Old 27-April-2002, 20:48
Screamager

You obviously know nothing about psychology but I will try to explain. When you are a hungry dirty drug infested cockroach a fish supper might give you hope.

Last edited by Huw; 27-April-2002 at 21:28.
Old 27-April-2002, 22:28
Screamager

Huw,

trust that you exagerate to make a point, did you see the pictures of that lady.

If thats hope, then god help us all

Maybe I've missed your point, if so I'm sorry

Steed
Old 27-April-2002, 22:31
Fenix

Steed, echo your feelings here

fenix
Old 27-April-2002, 22:52
Screamager

Of Course Steed and Fenix. There are some who will use their own discomfort as an excuse to act without regard for anyone else, and there are those who will sympatise with them and say that they need help. Those who act in this manner can expect no sympathy from me - perhaps its because I lack understanding - but I think they are beyond help too.
Old 27-April-2002, 23:08
Fenix

When you are a hungry dirty drug infested cockroach a fish supper might give you hope.
Sorry Huw, this then presumably was ladened with HEAVY irony

fenix
Old 27-April-2002, 23:16
Screamager

Cheers Huw,

agree with you.

We could do with an irony smiley.

Steed

Old 27-April-2002, 23:22
Screamager

Yeah, - Sorry too. I thought I had layed it on thick enough.
Old 27-April-2002, 23:32
fridgebuzz

this then presumably was ladened with HEAVY irony
huw you might be interested in Extreme Ironing then m8
Old 27-April-2002, 23:34
Fenix

Yeah, - Sorry too. I thought I had layed it on thick enough.
Hey, I guess its an underused commodity here on the TS. perhaps we can turn that around

fenix

;
Old 27-April-2002, 23:38
fridgebuzz

I disagree fenix - It's there - I just think that the capacity to recognize it as irony is lacking sometimes
Old 27-April-2002, 23:49
tony

always difficult to recognise irony/sarcasm in the written word.

as said before a smiley would help
Old 28-April-2002, 00:27
Fenix

I disagree fenix - It's there - I just think that the capacity to recognize it as irony is lacking sometimes
Careful you don't cut yourself lad

fenix

PS Sweet peas can occur without warning
Old 28-April-2002, 00:27
fridgebuzz

that's true tony no doubt about that....

speaking only for myself ......I think if you note who's making the comments then I find it easier to assess the irony factor......

EDIT - about the babies thing.......Ms FB brought up a good point.....one of the reasons she has expereinced as a teacher dealing with young mothers who have kids in her class.....is that they experienced little affection for THEIR mothers........because of various factors caused by low self esteem brought about by poverty......

and thus they crave affection........and what gives affection in abundence

you guessed it ..babies........and the the cycle continues.......
Old 28-April-2002, 00:37
Fenix

FB, your edit is an interesting diversion connected with a different thread but still interesting. Do you not think that poverty may be bought about by low self esteem/

fenix
Old 28-April-2002, 00:44
Screamager

Interesting, FB & Fenix.

If a person is born into poverty they could well grow up with low self esteem.

If a person is born into [relative] wealth but has natural low self esteem they could well descend into poverty as they grow up.

Two sides of the same coin?

Steed
Old 28-April-2002, 00:50
Screamager

Me predictable - I'm deeply hurt. Thanks for the recognition fb.

Seriously we need the poor just as much as we need the rich. It would be weird if we all had the same wealth. What we don't need is crime how ever it is justified.
Old 28-April-2002, 00:57
Fenix

I think the reasons/origins of poverty are diverse and complex and for this reason I haven't really got into this thread.
For every reason given there can be an equal and opposite opinion. We have all heard of people who come from dire poverty to riches and vice versa. Undoubtedly, a good start is preferable, but like most calculations, trying to work out reasons for 'one' lifes twists and turns is nigh on impossible. however , if you accept the doctrine of re-incarnation things become much more explainable, more sensible, more understandable, but hey, don't let me ruin another mystery

fenix
Old 28-April-2002, 00:59
Fenix

It would be weird if we all had the same wealth.
Not for the truely poor it wouldn't

fenix
Old 28-April-2002, 01:04
Screamager

Maybe it's beer or that it's 1am,

but I'm beginning to think there are no answers, only questions and everything is just the way it is because it's the way it is.
So we might all just as well get on with it, enjoy the good bits, get through the bad bits and of course, have a lot of fun trying to work it out.

Steed

Tags
bad, blocking, car, cash, connection, crack, credit, forward, free, happiness, law, line, liverpool, lost, make, mechanics, opinion, phone, rates, security, shop, talk