Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 21-January-2007, 23:18
Megtek

Default Poor broadband service because BT refuse to connect us to our closest exchange

My wife and I live in Sundorne Grove in Shrewsbury. Most streets on our estate are connected to Harlescott Exchange, which is about a mile away, and people a couple of streets away from us on that exchange can expect to get broadband with a speed of around 5 Mbps.

However, our phone line (as well as those of our neighbours in streets on the southernmost part of our estate) goes to Town Walls exchange, 3 miles away in the middle of Shrewsbury. Our broadband can't go faster than 512 kbps because of the distance from that exchange, and we get frequent outages when the weather changes or when someone makes a call to our landline.

We think that our lines are connected to the distant exchange simply because our part of the estate was built first, and at that time, we were closer to a junction box for Town Walls. When the rest of the estate was built, it was probably easier to connect them to Harlescott. That was before the advent of broadband anyway, when distances from the exchange didn't make so much of a difference.

However, BT now flatly refuse to connect our lines to the closer exchange, so we are lumbered with an inferior, second rate service, while neighbours a couple of streets away get broadband 10 times faster than ours!

We don't think that's fair, so we are spearheading a campaign to get BT to connect all the lines on our estate to the closer exchange. I will be sending a petition to BT tomorrow, which the vast majority of our neighbours have signed.

Richard Mills
http://www.btdigitaldivide.co.uk/
Old 22-January-2007, 02:19
DCP11OC

Default Re: Poor broadband service because BT refuse to connect us to our closest exchange

I would like to say that my local exchange is 3 miles away in my home town Luton. However I recieve 1Mbps, and my ISP AOL had said that I will be upgrading to 2Mbps within 6 months. Best of luck.
Old 28-January-2007, 00:11
helenander

Default Re: Poor broadband service because BT refuse to connect us to our closest exchange

My wife and I live in Sundorne Grove in Shrewsbury. Most streets on our estate are connected to Harlescott Exchange, which is about a mile away, and people a couple of streets away from us on that exchange can expect to get broadband with a speed of around 5 Mbps.

However, our phone line (as well as those of our neighbours in streets on the southernmost part of our estate) goes to Town Walls exchange, 3 miles away in the middle of Shrewsbury. Our broadband can't go faster than 512 kbps because of the distance from that exchange, and we get frequent outages when the weather changes or when someone makes a call to our landline.

We think that our lines are connected to the distant exchange simply because our part of the estate was built first, and at that time, we were closer to a junction box for Town Walls. When the rest of the estate was built, it was probably easier to connect them to Harlescott. That was before the advent of broadband anyway, when distances from the exchange didn't make so much of a difference.

However, BT now flatly refuse to connect our lines to the closer exchange, so we are lumbered with an inferior, second rate service, while neighbours a couple of streets away get broadband 10 times faster than ours!

We don't think that's fair, so we are spearheading a campaign to get BT to connect all the lines on our estate to the closer exchange. I will be sending a petition to BT tomorrow, which the vast majority of our neighbours have signed.

Richard Mills
http://www.btdigitaldivide.co.uk/
Originally Posted by Megtek View Post

Is the three miles as the crow flies or 3 miles following the cable run?

You mention that when the weather changes you loose service, is this voice service and adsl service?

what service are you on at the moment, and are you running from a master socket or an extension?
Old 24-August-2010, 10:26
Unity ICT

We have access to unbundled services at the Shrewsbury Town Walls exchange. It is entirely possible (subject to survey) that we can radically increase the bandwidth you are getting. Furthermore, you should look at the contention (degree to which your bandwidth is shared with other users) ratio. Give me a ring if you'd like me to look at it for you.
Nick

01686 651xxx

Last edited by silver; 25-August-2010 at 00:30. Reason: edit sil, number appears to belong to one of the councillors http://www.manafoncommunitycouncil.co.uk/councilInfo/councillors
Old 03-September-2010, 18:30
Fuel = Coffee & Smoke

Why dig up a post that is well over 2years old?

is there a point?

Tags
adsl, aol, broadband, bt, bundled, cable, home, isp, line, master socket, phone, speed, survey