Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 05-April-2007, 19:39
viaccess

Default Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

I'm trying to use my 2700 on AOL. Their usage policy only allows 500 hours a month, so leaving it hooked-up 24/7 is not possible if I don't wanna get capped.

It's a BT unit and I've got the unlocked SBC firmware. I have tried to set the "PPP on demand" parameter so it disconnects after X minutes of inactivity. No matter what I try it doesn't work. On the occasions it does disconnect (like an idle time of <5 min) it re-connects few minutes later. And this with no ethernet/wireless connections active, so it must be down to the router.

Is this option broken in this firmware version or something? I'd hate to have to trade my 2wire in for something else just for this.
Originally Posted by tF82 View Post
I have never heard of a time-capped broadband account. Are you sure you have this right? My guess is that the 500 hours cap applies to their dial-up customers. The only caps that are applied on DSL are download limits.

I am 99.99% sure that you will not be capped by leaving your 2700 on all the time.
Old 05-April-2007, 19:54
viaccess

I have checked the AOL Broadband Fair Use Policy:

http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/faqB...d.adp#answer26

There is no reference to a 500 hour limit. Connect up your 2700 and don't worry - It's supposed to be 'always on'!
Old 05-April-2007, 19:56
tF82

Seriously, it's madness for sure... but several reps in AOL's Irish call centre have told me their FUP is 50 GB or 500 hours. I've questioned it by e-mail, as obviously 500 hrs is less than 1 month connected 24/7 -- the advice power down the router when it's not in use!! That would be a major PITA for me, so I was hoping to get the router to drop the DSL connection when idle.
Old 08-April-2007, 12:51
ydrol6

Seriously, it's madness for sure... but several reps in AOL's Irish call centre have told me their FUP is 50 GB or 500 hours. I've questioned it by e-mail, as obviously 500 hrs is less than 1 month connected 24/7 -- the advice power down the router when it's not in use!! That would be a major PITA for me, so I was hoping to get the router to drop the DSL connection when idle.
Originally Posted by tF82 View Post
Sounds like AOL is broken Seriously I'd collect as much info as possible and send to the Register (and maybe the Inq), because thats truly ridicoulous!

The router may have a problem there. I woulder if it's trying to connect to a management URL and getting confused.

Also how can you maintain a stable sync on a marginal line if you are having to re-connect at various times of the day.

'd write to AOL and use that clause to get release from Contract as it affects the service advertised to you. What product do you have? Their website only shows Silver & Platinum Both have "Unlimited Time" (gee Whizz - looks like an about turn on a braindead policy - or trying to move people to more expensive product )

http://info.aol.co.uk/broadband/comp...omoCode=228937

Ydrol
Old 08-April-2007, 17:55
viaccess

I am quite sure that you have been given wrong information by the Irish call centre. Chances are, the representatives have no idea what they are talking about. DSL is an 'always on' service. You are supposed to leave it connected 24/7.

If you are downloading continuously for 500 hours, I can see there might be a problem - but simply leaving your router on and connected cannot affect your service. Call the help centre again and ask to speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.
Old 09-April-2007, 22:09
FatherTed

Unhappy Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

This has trashed my hub. I'm just getting red LEDs now when turned on. Is there another way of resetting the thing other than the reset switch?
Old 10-April-2007, 17:35
Rapport Technology

This is my first post so I hope that it helps someone.

I used the SBC firmware release but didn't have the option to increase power beyond 4. I am fortunate enough to own two of these routers so I could afford to experiment a little. The firmware worked and I was able to create the dsl connection and manage the wireless network but as I found no increase in power I wanted to revert to the BT firmware (ver 5.29.107.12), this proved very difficult to find on the net but eventually I found it here

Hope this rescues some of you guys with dead routers (if you are able to access the config screen of course)
Old 10-April-2007, 19:55
ydrol7

I used the SBC firmware release but didn't have the option to increase power beyond 4. I am fortunate enough to own two of these routers so I could afford to experiment a little.
Originally Posted by Rapport Technology View Post
The option to increase the wireless above 4 is only available when the router is actually connected to the internet. If it is not connected, it will only show up to 4.
Old 10-April-2007, 19:59
ydrol7

This has trashed my hub. I'm just getting red LEDs now when turned on. Is there another way of resetting the thing other than the reset switch?
Originally Posted by FatherTed View Post
What has trashed your hub? I've flashed about 15. One made all LED's go red, but it wasnt working well before flashing anyway (wireless wouldnt connect). I suspect dodgy flash chips or something.
Old 10-April-2007, 20:24
Rapport Technology

The option to increase the wireless above 4 is only available when the router is actually connected to the internet. If it is not connected, it will only show up to 4.
Originally Posted by ydrol7 View Post
I understand this, yes it was connected but the options were still only 1-4.
Old 12-April-2007, 12:48
viaccess

I don't know whether it will help (and this has been mentioned before in this thread) - you may need to flash your hub more than once to get the full options. The first time I tried (with the router connected to the Internet), I only had options 1-4. However, the next time (flashed with the same firmware), it worked and the 1-10 options appeared.

I have no explanation for this, but I can confirm it works.
Old 12-April-2007, 20:10
Sid_812

Hi,
does anyone know, how to link 2 of these together?
i.e. have one as a "signal booster", as i have unlocked mine but cant increase the signal strenght more than 4 and need wider coverage.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-April-2007, 21:31
Screamager

Hey chaps!. My BT2700HGV is bricked I think . Last night, I tried to flash the firmware (using the normal procedure that I posted at the start of this thread)... lo and behold, the router power light went AMBER, then the router stayed in this frozen state for 1/4 hour.

I proceeded to reset the unit at the mains, after having waited a LONG time (over 1/2 hour!) and all I get now, is various green lights blinking, but I CANNOT access either http://192.168.1.254 or http://gateway.2wire.net *OR* http://home/managment.

All I get is a blank WHITE webpage - whatever is happening, there must be *something* working inside, because I have connected my Mac to it via ethernet, and I can successfully ping: 192.168.1.254 and I get a response.

Have trie TELNET and SSH - to no avail!. Is there any way I can FORCE the router to accept the "recovery_425" firmware, without going through the rigmaroll of having to do upload the firmware using the web interface (which obviously I CAN'T do, as I cannot SEE the web interface!).

I have called BT and told them it is faulty - for whatever reason - but I'd sure like to resurrect this perfectly good (or WAS) router. If anyone can tell me how to flash it via TERMINAL etc (NOT the 2WIRE web pages etc) I shall be most grateful indeed!.

Thanks guys - I am indeed, 'gutted'.
Old 15-April-2007, 17:47
Coomb

Question Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

Hi I have done the DNS all i have is the red light so i think it is unlocked not sure thought. Can it be done with AOL and does any one know the DNS manually configure for aol and what do i put in to the domain name.
Thanks
Old 16-April-2007, 16:35
Coomb

Talking Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

Thanks to all and thanks to mongoose the DNS worked and i know no one replied but it was the thread that did it. All i have to do now is confg for my wireless network any comments on that would be nice Thank you again.
Old 16-April-2007, 17:25
Mongoose

Hi Coomb
Sorry I missed your post I haven't been to this thread for awhile.
It's difficult to give advise on setting up wireless as each make of wireless card tends to have it's own utility (although you can use the built in XP utility but this is a little flaky at times). Just make sure you set up the security. Use WPA if possible although there can be compatibilty issues sometimes. If not use the highest WEP settings available and turn off SSID broadcast if possible. Again that can sometimes cause your computer to not automatically logon each time you bootup. It's a bit trial and error. I have set up loads of wireless networks and they all seem to work slightly differently depanding on the make of wireless cards and equipment you're trying to connect.
Hope this helps
Old 17-April-2007, 16:39
SURECOMM

hi i have just obatined a number of box damaged bt 2700hgv routers. they are complete but have no discs inside. I woul nt mind selling em..any ideas on selling as unlocked?...i need info but laymans terms i am not in this line of kit normally......any help mucho appreciated cheers Rich
Old 17-April-2007, 19:14
Screamager

hi i have just obatined a number of box damaged bt 2700hgv routers. they are complete but have no discs inside. I woul nt mind selling em..any ideas on selling as unlocked?...i need info but laymans terms i am not in this line of kit normally......any help mucho appreciated cheers Rich
Originally Posted by SURECOMM View Post

They're worth virtually NOTHING as it is, when new and boxed from BT etc. I wish you all the best mate, sorry to say.
Old 17-April-2007, 19:27
viaccess

They're worth virtually NOTHING as it is, when new and boxed from BT etc. I wish you all the best mate, sorry to say.
Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
Why do you say that? They sell for about 30 unlocked on ebay. There are a stack of them for sale.
Old 17-April-2007, 23:17
Coomb

Cool Re: Unlocked Firmware For Bt Business Hub (2wire) 2700hgv

Hi like to say thanks and to mongoose for his sound advice i have it working Coomb.
Old 18-April-2007, 21:38
j20

There's some excellent info on this forum and I have successfully boosted my 2700 via the recovery_425.2sp firmware install.

However, I notice that this version does not seem to support MAC address filtering.

Does anyone know if it is there on a hidden page or any other way of activating MAC address filtering on this firmware version?

Thanks,

Tem
Originally Posted by tempearson View Post
Tem,

There doesn't appear to be MAC filtering available on the router.

The next best thing is the 'Internet Access Control' feature in BT's firmware which works in a similar way. It allows you to block access to the Internet for all clients except specified ones. Blocked clients who try to use the web get redirected to an access control page where they can enter the router's password to temporarily grant access. It's not MAC filtering in that it doesn't prevent the clients connecting to the network in the first place, but it won't route their traffic out to the Internet.

I'm using the original firmware as loaded by BT (unlocked using DNS poisoning), so I don't know if the publicly available BT firmware has this feature.

Hope that helps.
Old 19-April-2007, 12:01
CiscoMan

Guys, I have a 2700HGV and I want to use it with Demon. But when I put in the Demon username and password for the ADSL service it gets over written by a BT one, any ideas how I can get arround this. I actually tried this a while ago and gave up with it thinking the unit must be locked to the ISP, but reading this thread you have given me hope...
Old 19-April-2007, 13:38
Mongoose

1. Start your web browser and type "gateway.2wire.net/management" into the address bar (without the "") 2. On the left hand side, click the 4th link from the bottom "DNS Resolve" 3. In the DNS Name box type cwmp.cms.smehomehubrms.bt.com (or copy and paste from this here) 4. In the IP Address box type 10.0.0.0 click Add. That's it, your hub is now no longer locked to BT. Just type in your username and password in the appropriate boxes and they will stay there.
Old 20-April-2007, 22:19
Screamager

Originally Posted by SURECOMM View Post

Well if you want to sell em on send me a pm with quantities and price
Old 21-April-2007, 07:36
Coomb

Hi tryed booting up bt or aol add changed my firmware to the one you flash put fusion in the wireless net work i mean even MTU changed and when i tryed the DNS every time i tryed to but in my user name and pass word in just under it said PPP NOT CORRECT so in the bin
Old 21-April-2007, 17:02
Coomb

[QUOTE=Coomb;201990]Hi tryed booting up, bt or aol add changed my firmware to the one you flash it with put fusion in the wireless net work i mean even MTU changed and when i tryed the DNS every time i tryed to but in my user name and pass word in. Just under there it said PPP user name NOT CORRECT when i pressed save
Old 22-April-2007, 03:14
mcgeektm

Hi,

Regarding posts #206/cjchenderson & #207/viaccess on changing the MTU;

I have talktalk and am experiencing problems accessing secure sites and some e-mail sends. I have tried changing my MTU as described, but I find that this causes the broadband username to reset to the BT default when I submit the MTU change, consequently my broadband account logs out (red-light).
When I reset my broadband username/password back to talktalk, the MTU has reverted back to 1500.

Firmware is "original" 4.25.33, unit recently purchased from Surecomm as "unlocked" (post #227).
DNS poisioning setup as per Mongoose's postings.

Everything else is fine, but cannot seem to get past the MTU setting.

How did you guys do it? were you running the "patched" firmware?

Thanks

Kev.
Old 22-April-2007, 04:04
mcgeektm

UPDATE on MTU setting.

Just about to give up for the night on the MTU setting and tried an alternate approach, which worked:

Using the page below to modify MTU worked OK, it did NOT reset the broadband userid to BT default.
http://192.168.101.1/xslt?PAGE=B05&T...1&NEXTPAGE=B05
(corrected 22-apr 11:48)

I was originally using another page, under MDC console >> Advanced >> Configure Services, which reset the userid to BT default (at least it did with my "original BT firmware").
http://192.168.101.1/xslt?PAGE=J30&T...1&NEXTPAGE=J30

btw; ip-addr used this way as it's the red interface to a SmoothWall.

Can now send larger mail again and access secure sites.
Thanks for the postings on MTU, it never occurred to me as the problem.

Cheers

Kev.

Last edited by mcgeektm; 22-April-2007 at 11:49.
Old 27-April-2007, 16:02
ydrol7

Originally Posted by unlokia View Post
These easily sell for between 15 and 25 quid on eBay, if they are in new condition, with all accesories sealed etc.
Old 27-April-2007, 16:10
lordy7

If you have a Business Hub that has TWO SSIDs printed underneath

"BTBusinessHub-999" and "BTFusion-0999" flash with caution.
I've had two of these give me the 3 red led salute.. (Stop working after flashing).

One had wireless issues already so I assumed it was faulty hardware, but the other seemed fine.

If anyone has got a 3 red led brick due to flashing look underneath and post here if its similar to above.

Tags
2wire, broadband, bt, bt business hub, connection, dhcp, dns, email, firmware, flash, hgv, home, hub, internet, key, lights, lock, orange, phone, registration, router, screen, settings, share, software, sound, speed, speedtester, tiscali, voip, web, wireless