Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware > ADSL Router Mods

Old 14-December-2006, 17:05
studioeng

Default Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

Studioeng - how did you get the hub to operate as a Wireless Access Point only? I'm interestred because I would rather keep my 3com adsl/router and just use the hub to extend its range.

If so used, I assume the hub will be no good for VOIP, though?
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I simply turned off the DHCP server in the BT HomeHub, gave it a static IP and connected it to my existing network. The wireless side you would set up as normal; the IP address is then assigned from your existing DHCP including the gateway address, therefore it functions as an AP.

No I don't beleive you can use the VoIP facility when it is setup in this way, as it (I beleive) only uses the WAN interface for the VoIP; unless there is a way to redirect interface traffic.

On another note, I have been unsuccessful in flashing the HomeHub with Alternative firmware... I'm leaving it to cool, and will come back to it in the new year.
Old 16-December-2006, 13:56
Sides

Just received my hub yesterday.
I tried to get into redboot, which doesn't seems to work (using telnet at ip + ^C).
Maybe it is a differenet bootloader ? or i'm doing something wrong.

However i notice that the bant-7 mainboard doesn't have the USB A socket
(only passive usb B), unlike the home hub.
Now to the USB A socket, from the log posted by "Guest",
it seems that the port supports mass storages.
Anyone has a fat16/32 formated drive/stick to try out ?

Btw did some already made a requested for the (gpl parts of) source code
at bt, thomsonor inventel ?

Last edited by Sides; 16-December-2006 at 18:26.
Old 17-December-2006, 06:51
marble

Anyone has a fat16/32 formated drive/stick to try out ?

Btw did some already made a requested for the (gpl parts of) source code
at bt, thomsonor inventel ?
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Yup, it seems that a Fat32 stick works fine. I haven't tried anything else (apart from an ext2 formatted drive, which didn't work) but it's probably safe to say that Fat16/32 drives will work since they work in the same way that sticks do. It all gets mounted under a share called 'bt_7g' on IP 192.168.1.253 (assuming you have a standard setup).

I am currently talking to BT about getting the GPL code ... they're being a bit slow and keep referring me back to Helpdesk 'if I have any questions about the home Hub'.

Al
Old 21-December-2006, 23:47
Sides

BT just released a new firmware (band-z 6226) this week (or last ?)
here is the link (it is labeled as recovery tool)
Not sure what it changes so be carefull toying with it.
Old 22-December-2006, 15:06
studioeng

Any joy with finding an unlocked version of the firmware? Is it only BT that are using this hardware?

It all gets mounted under a share called 'bt_7g' on IP 192.168.1.253 (assuming you have a standard setup).
Originally Posted by marble View Post
Does anyone know of a way to alter the address or even the settings of this side of the HomeHub??
Old 23-December-2006, 18:04
andyh1108

Wow, the new firmware 6.2.2.6 is great .......... well, so far it is!!

It now includes DYNDNS, a long awaited addition!

Took some updating though, was not simple, had to use the update files off the CD as the downloaded ones would not work at all! Then had to rename the image file by adding .bin and after 3 attempts it updated!

Watch this space for more info, especially if something goes wrong!!
Old 24-December-2006, 12:54
tentonine

With 6.2.2.6, although the web interface contains dynDNS with the new firmware, it is sadly very restrictive for editing telnet options. The voice options on the web interface are also restricted. You can't change usernames or add users. Further, you can't edit any of the voice options. I know this probably isn't an issue for most people, but it used to be possible to configure the hub to work with any VOIP provider of your choice (I used sipgate) rather than just BT.
Further, it is no longer possible to FTP to the hub or save/restore configurations in the web interface (well, I can't find a way - please let me know if you can).
Old 24-December-2006, 17:07

I simply turned off the DHCP server in the BT HomeHub, gave it a static IP and connected it to my existing network. The wireless side you would set up as normal; the IP address is then assigned from your existing DHCP including the gateway address, therefore it functions as an AP.

No I don't beleive you can use the VoIP facility when it is setup in this way, as it (I beleive) only uses the WAN interface for the VoIP; unless there is a way to redirect interface traffic.

On another note, I have been unsuccessful in flashing the HomeHub with Alternative firmware... I'm leaving it to cool, and will come back to it in the new year.
Originally Posted by studioeng View Post
Can you please explain this in more detail please, (making the Hub a wireless access point). i am new to working with routers.

Thanks
Old 28-December-2006, 14:14
studioeng

Can you please explain this in more detail please, (making the Hub a wireless access point). i am new to working with routers.

Thanks
I don't really know how I can make that any simpler ?!

In a standard 'out-of-the-box' setup, the HomeHub is already a functioning Wireless Access Point, with the required WEP key printed on the back of the HomeHub casing.

In a 'modified' environment, where you do not have BT Broadband and wish to use it as a Wireless Access Point with an existing network, via one of the ethernet ports; you simply disable/turn off the DHCP server within the HomeHub and let your existing router/server issue the correct addresses. Bareing in mind that the HomeHub MUST be on the same ip range as your existing network, otherwise you will loose connectivity with the HomeHub web interface.

I can't really put it any simpler than that.
Old 29-December-2006, 18:10
slowgrind

some interesting info on BT HomeHub:

Advertising UPnP devices/services alive:
http://192.168.1.254:80/dslf/IGD.xml
[SSDP] Advertising UPnP devices/services alive: http://192.168.1.254:80/upnp/IGD.xml

can someone look at these xml files and extract some more info?
how to 'translate' these xml files into normal html ?
Old 30-December-2006, 00:30
slowgrind

few more things extracted from BT home hub:

# Configuration for inventel modules import
#

CONFIG_USBMGR=y
CONFIG_LPDSRV=y
CONFIG_PRINT_SERVER=1
ENABLE_PRINT_SERVER=1
CONFIG_STORAGE=y

ENABLE_USB_HOST=1
CONFIG_LINUX_2_6=y
CONFIG_STORAGE=y

ENABLE_SAMBA=1
SAMBA_WORKGROUP=BT
SAMBA_DEVICE_NAME=BT_7G
IP_0=192.168.1.253
NETMASK_0=255.255.255.0
IP_NMON=192.168.1.254

UPDATE_PASSWORD=inventel
UPDATE_USERNAME=inventel
UPDATE_MACHINE=developers.inventel.com
UPDATE_DECT_DIRECTORY=inventel/dect_handset/bt/pre_release-0

MDG_SOFT_VER=1061
MDG_SOFT_NAME=M4G_7G_VOIP_2D1P1S_LF_v1061r1_no_boo t.bin
MDG_EEP_NAME=M4G_7G_VoIP_LT_2D1P1S_50.eep
MDG_EEP_MAP=eepmap_M4G_7G_VoIP_LT_2D1P1S.1.46.txt

MDG_FACTORY_RESET_DONE=y
MDG_UPDATE_DISABLED=n #add
Old 30-December-2006, 09:22
slowgrind

if anyone wants, I have ZZJMAA6.11R file, size 761832, extracted from bt home hub, which includes multiple gz files of the router firmware/www server/other files.
files likes BCMFIRMWare6348.IMG, [ firmware/isdn/ZZW5AA.gz 195662 ], [ firmware/pots/ZZW6AA.gz 237110 ], [ firmware/vega_lib.bin.gz 75571 ],
[ active/WWW/drst/DRST.xml.gz 603 ][ active/WWW/dslf/DeviceConfig.xml.gz 215 ]
Old 31-December-2006, 01:38

I don't really know how I can make that any simpler ?!

In a standard 'out-of-the-box' setup, the HomeHub is already a functioning Wireless Access Point, with the required WEP key printed on the back of the HomeHub casing.

In a 'modified' environment, where you do not have BT Broadband and wish to use it as a Wireless Access Point with an existing network, via one of the ethernet ports; you simply disable/turn off the DHCP server within the HomeHub and let your existing router/server issue the correct addresses. Bareing in mind that the HomeHub MUST be on the same ip range as your existing network, otherwise you will loose connectivity with the HomeHub web interface.

I can't really put it any simpler than that.
Originally Posted by studioeng View Post

Can you explain how to turn off the DHCP?

Thanks
Old 31-December-2006, 03:05
studioeng

Can you explain how to turn off the DHCP?

Thanks
I asume you know how to access and log into the HomeHub!?

I am using the lastest firmware so this maybe slightly different to your layout.

On left menu, click 'Advanced' -> in middle of page, click 'Continue to advanced' -> enter login details -> click '.IP Addresses' -> untick 'Use DHCP Server'.

Simple enough ??
Old 31-December-2006, 18:04
mee

if anyone wants, I have ZZJMAA6.11R file, size 761832, extracted from bt home hub, which includes multiple gz files of the router firmware/www server/other files.
files likes BCMFIRMWare6348.IMG, [ firmware/isdn/ZZW5AA.gz 195662 ], [ firmware/pots/ZZW6AA.gz 237110 ], [ firmware/vega_lib.bin.gz 75571 ],
Originally Posted by slowgrind View Post
How did you manage to get that?
Old 02-January-2007, 10:51
studioeng

Originally Posted by slowgrind View Post
Originally Posted by mee View Post
Indeed; how did you manage to get that??

What I find odd, is why would an ADSL device have an ISDN firmware??

On another note; has anybody been lucky enough to find an open firmware for the HomeHub? Or 'modify' the BT firmware??
Old 02-January-2007, 14:44
Anonymous

I assume he ftp'd in :-)
Old 02-January-2007, 14:55
studioeng

I assume he ftp'd in :-)
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Well unless I'm not looking in the right place, I don't beleive you can FTP into the HomeHub... If you have, then I'm sorry; I'll have to try harder (I can't say I've tried it)

The only thing I've accessed is the console via Telnet
Old 02-January-2007, 17:19
imarcus

Wink Re: Unlocking BT Home Hub

hello all happy new year!

if you create yourself a superuser account and then ftp into the hub you can browse the folders on the hub. sometimes tho it wont let me see the contents of the root folder.

have managed to create a connection for tiscali on the hub using the telnet menu, but it still wont 'remember' the username although it all shows up on the html page of the hub.

also i have (tried) to sign up as a thomson partner to get access to the 7g firmware, but no response from them confirming login details yet

tried connectiong a usb drive to the hub also, it powers up, but cant seem to find a share called bt_7g or access any info on the drive, tried ftp into 192.168.1.253 to no avail.

if anyone has the thomson 7g or speeedtouch firm ware i'll have a copy!!

have not been able to update the firmware(bt) as the update app.(os x) keeps crashing dunno why?
Old 02-January-2007, 23:32
studioeng

It seems that the latest firmware has 'locked' certain things up ... for example the tips given here: http://www.littlehome.co.uk/homehub/

On creating a new account, or even 'flushing' the user list;

mlp role list
Command not allowed.

user flush
Command not allowed.

Is there another way of modifying users in the new firmware??
Old 02-January-2007, 23:38
slowgrind

Originally Posted by mee View Post

flash some older firmware and ftp in. best thing to do would be to recreate/descramble original file system from firmware provided by BT.
Old 06-January-2007, 00:23
TKNo

Anyone managed to redirect the Telephony side to the LAN ports instead of the WAN ports yet,
Old 06-January-2007, 12:15
tentonine

For voice over LAN, try this: telnet to the hub, go to voice, config and change intf to LAN.
Old 06-January-2007, 16:54
TKNo

Changed those settings still wont register, can use other programs such as Xlite so know the account and routing through my firewall is fine. I even tried xlite on a laptop using the wireless from the Home Hub all A'OK. Jst doesnt seem to want to allow the Home Hub to register. Im running sipgate if that helps.
Old 06-January-2007, 21:01
Mee

Whats the oldest firmware anyones got?

I've got 6.1.1.M.

The older the firmware the more buggy its gonna be, in a good way!
Old 08-January-2007, 17:09
Marian

Thanks for the comments on this site.

I have tried using my hub as a Wireless Access Point by removing the DHCP selection and now I cannot access it via IE or using the HubManager. My version is the 6.1.1.?

Any suggestions
Old 08-January-2007, 19:15
TKNo

Its prob still under its original ip 192.168.1.254, u will need to manually statically assign an ip to ur machine using the same first 3 digits ie 192.168.1.x then u should see it again. Log in and give the hub a static ip for ur network range and voila.
Old 09-January-2007, 15:56
Marian

TKNO

Thank you so much for this. Have managed to access it now.

Do you know of a way to keep the date and time on this hub? We suffer with power cuts a lot and it does not retain the current date and time, goes back to 2000.

Also, I can can use it as a Wireless Access Point, after configuring the laptop along side it and moving elsewhere in the house using a wireless pmcia. But once everything is switch off and restarted it is no longer able to connect unless I move it along side the hub again. Any suggestions.

Thanks again.
Old 10-January-2007, 20:53
TKNo

Not sure about the power problem i guess the hub can probably cope with being off for a short time but being a rather cheap piece of kit i dont think without modification and soldering to the board could u achieve this, UPS? Using it as an AP sure i do that via NTL tried BT nothing but probs therfore went elsewhere BT left the kit so i thought why not use it as an AP i have no problems connecting to it via XP or Vista can take a few seconds tho on the laptop. As long as u have ur WEP or WPA which ever setup correctly and the Home Hub hasnt defaulted to its original settings then it should connect fine. Not sure of the range, heard comments off low power from the 7g unit but i sit 20m away through a wall and still get excellent conection most the time. Again depends if ur hse is made of paper or lead

Any one sourced an unlocked Firmware yet?

TKNo
Old 16-January-2007, 01:12
netrat

Any one found a way of getting superuser access under 6.2.2.6?

Tags
adsl, adsl2, belkin, broadband, bt, bt home hub, cable, dhcp, dns, files, firmware, home, home hub, hub, internet, isp, key, laptop, lock, make, netgear, network, product, router, settings, sipgate, speed, speedtouch, speedtouch 7g, tiscali, voip, web, windows, wireless