Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 23-May-2007, 23:23
gardinerbhoy

Default recommended wireless reuter for xbox live and 1 pc newbie needs HELP!

hi new here so need some help.

just signed up to adsl24 and i only have a usb modem at the moment, i hear the recommendation is for a reuter. I was thinking of going wireless to connect to my xbox as well as my pc.

i just have a couple of questions hope you can answer!

is a reuter easy to set up and will it improve performance?

does the reuter allow me to connect to xbox live if my pc is not on?

should i have my pc connected to the reuter through a wire? will that be best? if so do i need to have the pc on when playing xbox?

should i have the reuter plugged into the master bt socket in the house. at the moment the model plugs into a secondary bt point in a bedroom. should this be ok for the reuter as it means i can connect the reuter directly to the pc though wire.

do i need any special settings or programs to tweak the reuter for better performance? for adsl24.

and finally can someone recommend a reuter, i dont know anything about them is a 125g one the best? will this perform better than a 54g one? and what usb adaptors are also recommended? dont want to spend a fortune but will pay a bit more if it makes a difference!

hope thats too much but as u can see i am clueless.

thanks very much for reading and hope u can help!

ryan.
Old 24-May-2007, 01:14
Former TS! Team

Default Re: recommended wireless reuter for xbox live and 1 pc newbie needs HELP!

is a reuter easy to set up and will it improve performance?
>> Routers are generally very easy to set up. You may see a small increase in performance as the pc no longer has to manage the dsl modem & Connection.

does the reuter allow me to connect to xbox live if my pc is not on?
>>Yes

should i have my pc connected to the reuter through a wire? will that be best? if so do i need to have the pc on when playing xbox?
>>Better to have the xbox plugged in through a wire as wireless tends to increase lag in games and may drop the wireless connection to your router.
>>The PC can be wired or wireless, unless again gaming I'd recommend wired.

should i have the reuter plugged into the master bt socket in the house. at the moment the model plugs into a secondary bt point in a bedroom. should this be ok for the reuter as it means i can connect the reuter directly to the pc though wire.
>>Best to have it in the master socket as it may reduce performance if used through extension cabling. there's only one way to really find out : try it. However if you are current running adsl through your extension you should be ok.

do i need any special settings or programs to tweak the reuter for better performance? for adsl24.
>>No
Old 24-May-2007, 17:54
gardinerbhoy

Default Re: recommended wireless reuter for xbox live and 1 pc newbie needs HELP!

thanks very mate, lots of help emefis!
cheers
Old 09-March-2009, 07:56
darkraven3333

you CAN nat through a pc if wireless is your only option.

otherwise you need to hack a router into the xbox for wireless.

you may try to flash a wireless linksys to function as a wireless gateway as a client[dumb router], but I cannot guarantee this to work.supposedly you can NAT the whole connections to the router wirelessly between two linksys units. I have not gotten this to work yet,though.

wired access should be a piece of cake.

Tags
adsl, adsl2, bt, connection, flash, hack, lag, master socket, modem, nat, router, settings, wireless, xbox