Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 26-March-2004, 11:23
Life in the Farce Lane

On the printer there are ways but it's better to leave it single use, saves security exploits on extra services running.

With a IP-Cop -Smoothie set up to give out DHCP addresses there is very little to do on the boxes that connect, just tell them to use DHCP on the tcp bindings of the network card (easier than it sounds like that)
Old 26-March-2004, 12:09

Hi ShelaghG,

As StuC says it's quite straight-forward (well it always seems that way once it's working!)

What USB modem do you have - you will need to download a driver depending on modem manufacturor.

IPcop box will need USB for the internet side connection (a.k.a. 'red' in ipcop speak) and a NIC card for the home network side (a.k.a. 'green' in ipcop speak).

If you already have a home network setup then switching to ipcop is generally easy, if you get stuck ask!

Sil
Old 26-March-2004, 12:17
Life in the Farce Lane

Hi Sil,
Good point that, no use finding out the modem is not supported.

what's the breakdown between using USB or two network cards?
I've only used USB but running through anoher ethernet modem should load the cpu on an old pc less?

One day I'll get broadband at home and play properly
Old 26-March-2004, 12:29

I think most USB modems should be ok (there's generally not that much variety since most people got them provided by the ISP?).

ethernet is better I guess - but I use USB fine with IPCop,. the connection is pretty stable (connected for weeks at a time) USB direct onto a windoz box can slow things down (certainly the case with win98) but I don't think this is really an issue for linux / seperate IPcop box

Sil
Old 28-March-2004, 18:10
ShelaghG

Default USB

I have a Fujitsu USB modem. I'm stuck at the moment because I don't think the PC is even recognising the USB PCI card. The modem should take it's power off the PC but is dead as a dodo Plan B anyone?
Old 28-March-2004, 19:02

is the card in tight?

take it out and try a different slot
Old 28-March-2004, 19:05
Life in the Farce Lane

did you install the software then install the USBcard?

AFAK its better to have the hardware all together before running setup, not sure if IP-Cop/Smoothwall will do automatic hardware detection, spect not for security reasons.

It's so quick to install, why not try again.

You could change the slot the pci card is in too.

Later (I hate posting only to find someone else has got there first.....)
Old 28-March-2004, 19:08

By 3 mins StuC
Old 28-March-2004, 19:23

ShelaghG,

I think it's probably hard to tell if the USB card is working till it's umm working,.,. as said - check that it's fully plugged in.

stick all the cards in (USB - pci card / NIC etc) and remove any cards you don't need (e.g. sound cards etc). Install IPcop and see then if you can get the modem working - you'll know if it is because the lights will come on on the modem

Sil
Old 28-March-2004, 19:48
Life in the Farce Lane

what about booting a knoppix CD?
That recognises a lot of hardware but would not affect the hardrive.
Just a wy of checking

Right now lets see who beat me to it
Old 28-March-2004, 20:33
ShelaghG

Now I'm getting confused! This is an old PC with only 2 PCI slots - one has the NIC card in (which works - I can see the light come on on the hub) and the one with the USB ports on it - I'll try swapping them over and see what happens. I haven't installed any software at all. There was s/w with the USB card but only for windows so I don't suppose it's much use?
Old 28-March-2004, 20:35

yep - you shouldn't need any special drivers for the USB card,. as IPCop should handle it ok,. how do you know it's not working ?

Sil
Old 28-March-2004, 20:45
ShelaghG

I'm assuming it's not working because the modem's getting no power at all - I tried it in both ports.
Old 28-March-2004, 20:49

ok - but have you installed ipcop yet? perhaps it needs installing and setup before it lights ? (not sure!)

Sil
Old 28-March-2004, 20:52
ShelaghG

I abandoned the install because the modem didn't seem to be working and I was starting to run out of time - working the night shift tonight
Old 28-March-2004, 21:09

k,

I think that's what I'd try - perhaps there's a bios setting needed to allow USB (not sure thats likely tho)

plug in cards and install IPcop fully - the modem can be plugged in after the install

Sil
Old 28-March-2004, 21:14
Life in the Farce Lane

I think that due to powersaving soft off modes the software needs to initialise the card/modem.

Off topic -
Pretty sure this is right as I spent an hour recently looking into a fault(?) on a frog
after spending lots of "clever thought" on the problem and general fault finding, rebooting etc. I followed the phone line and found it had been cut (by mistake) eight inches from the wall box, bellow the shelf the ipcop box was on.
Did I laugh,,,OK a bit
Old 28-March-2004, 21:18
ShelaghG

OK - I'll go all the way through the installation tomorrow and see if the modem powers up at the end Thanks chaps.
Old 28-March-2004, 21:27
Talon

Also try checking in the kernel log to see if it mentions spotting a USB hub device - that should mean at least it has seen the card if not the modem.

I had problems with my Alcatel "FlatFish" modem and eventually it looked to be due to the VIA chipset on the MB.
Old 28-March-2004, 21:28
Life in the Farce Lane

Also Sil will clarify this - the modem won't even work until the firmware is uploaded.

--Actually that may just be the Alcatels (All i have used)

Still think a full install will provide the answer

Last edited by StuC; 28-March-2004 at 21:54.
Old 30-March-2004, 01:48
Screamager

IPCOp looks truly genius but its still not for me, router = 8"wide & 1" high*6"deep 7 watts powers consumption, little old pc muchbigger with fan 50watts? now on the other hand if i could get my hands on one of those mini pc's they always have @: electronics shows for embedded devices.........
with my router in NAT mode it was truly terrible and i had to set my connections quite low, i have since switched to having a subnet from my isp and all is fine. My fault for buying it when there was not much choice (when wires only was launched). May switch to a 802.11 SuperG one soon as my pc needs to go upsatirs and the house is rented so i cant drill holes in it
Old 30-March-2004, 10:39
ghuzz

Default hi sil

hi sil, I'm a novice at this, could you please advise me what I'll need and where it all goes?
I have an xp box with a winmodem, and my computer is a standalone. So I take it I'll need a usb hardware modem and a nic card, and a cat 5 cross over cable? Does the nic and the usb modem plug into the ipcop box? I'll need to wait and buy a pc100 box to run ipcop on.

cheers ghuzz:

shrug:
Old 30-March-2004, 11:06

Hi ghuzz,

Welcome to TS!

What you need depends on what you want to do - if I understand correctly I think you are right,,

If you are wanting to use ipcop with dialup access (?) then you'll need a modem and nic card in the ipcop box and a nic in the box you use (plus a crossover cable like you say) I'm not too sure which modems ipcop supports I think it supports most (not sure on winmodems though) - the h/w compat list @ http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/v...op/IPCopHCLv01 doesn't give too much info unfort..

If you are moving to ADSL then you'll need an ADSL modem - list of supported (in 1.4) is on the mailing list @ http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ipco...0698711099&w=2 also see the faq @ http://www.ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/v...t_the_Fujitsu_ as some modems not explicitly listed are supported via the ECI USB driver, rest of setup is the same as for dialup modem above

Sil
Old 30-March-2004, 13:25
ShelaghG

Unhappy Nowhere Near Working!

I installed ipcop. The modem is dead as a dodo but that may be because it's not supported. I have found the s/w I need to install to get it working (she said hopefully) but have no way of getting it on the router PC. My PC can't ping the router PC therefore i can't load the admin screen *sigh*
Old 30-March-2004, 13:35

Set the PCs IP address and subnet mask to be within the range for IPcop green network. If you have a keyboard + terminal on the ipcop box then login as 'setup' you can check / see what IP address range you gave to IPcop green and the Ipcop box itself.

or login as root and type

/usr/local/sbin/setup

Sil

PS, once you can connect to the admin thingy the ADSL modem screens gives some info abt how to setup the modem / what files you need etc.
Old 30-March-2004, 13:41
ShelaghG

I set up the PC's ip address as 192.168.1.1 as recommended in the manual and didn't touch the subnet mask as it said ipcop would sort this out automatically. I'm wondering if this ip address is already used on the LAN setup I already have. i don't think so as Only my PC and the router PC is switched on and my PC says it's 192.168.0.1
Old 30-March-2004, 14:10
ShelaghG

I thought this might be the NIC card - I swapped out the ancient ISA card that came with the PC. I've put back the old card and re-installed ipcop but still can't ping the router PC from my PC. I can't ping the other way either.
Old 30-March-2004, 14:15

Originally posted by ShelaghG
I set up the PC's ip address as 192.168.1.1 as recommended in the manual and didn't touch the subnet mask as it said ipcop would sort this out automatically. I'm wondering if this ip address is already used on the LAN setup I already have. i don't think so as Only my PC and the router PC is switched on and my PC says it's 192.168.0.1
ok - right you are close to being able to connect

the way subnet masks work is that your existing connection is given to you by your existing router PC (192.168.0.1) when it sees you trying to connect to IPCop (192.168.1.1) it thinks it's an address on the i'net - because it's in a different subnet to ipcop. It has no information that tells it IPCop is within your LAN.

try this,. unplug one of your PCs from the 'router PC' - they plug it so that is the only thing on the same network as IPcop and reboot it, if you have DHCP enabled on ipcop then it will get a new IP address in the range 192.168.1.xxx if DHCP isn't turned on then manually set it's IP to be in the range - something like 192.168.1.10 with mask 255.255.255.0

what's making the situation slightly trickier than normal is that you have a DHCP server running from the 'router PC' and another in IPCop - both on different subnetworks (probably not explaining it too well!)

Sil
Old 30-March-2004, 14:21
ShelaghG

I was just looking at the ipcop forum and the light was beginning to dawn about not having set the DHCP settings. I've just done it and will try re-booting my PC now. Thanks
Old 30-March-2004, 14:29
ShelaghG

That was a miserable failure! When i run ipconfig /all I get
Ethernet adapter Network Bridge (Network Bridge) 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : MAC Bridge Miniport
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 82-29-19-21-79-31
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Is this not working because DHCP isn't enable on my PC?

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel