Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 06-September-2007, 00:11
Daniele

Question Connecting wrt54gc to tiscali uk modem

I just bought a WRT54GC router from Linksys and after 2 days of trying to get the router to connect to internet I realised that because this router only works with PPPoE and that Tiscali uses a PPPoA, its never going to happen. Is my realisation true?, or is there a way to get these two to work together in some other way. Help please! Thanks.
Old 06-September-2007, 12:09
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Connecting wrt54gc to tiscali uk modem

I don't think you're correct. Follow the instructions on setting up your router, there should be facility to select either option. You could try the Linksys website for any specific help.

Just for reference, you do realise that the Linksys is a wifi modem/router and that therefore your Tiscali modem is not needed ?
Old 06-September-2007, 13:45
Austin_KW

I don't think you're correct. Follow the instructions on setting up your router, there should be facility to select either option. You could try the Linksys website for any specific help.

Just for reference, you do realise that the Linksys is a wifi modem/router and that therefore your Tiscali modem is not needed ?
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
No they are correct it is just a wireless router (wrt), so will only support pppoe (obviously as it does not have a dsl/atm layer),

The solution, it not to run ppp on the linksys. Run PPPoA on the modem and just plug the linksys into it. Should work. You may have to change the subnet on the linksys if it is an the same subnet 192.168.x as the modem.

Edit; This assumes that the modem has an ethernet port and not just usb.
Old 06-September-2007, 19:13
Daniele

Thumbs up Re: Connecting wrt54gc to tiscali uk modem

Thanks for the replies guys. Coz I'm a bit of a newbie with routers, if I am getting it right I need to set up the linksys on PPP through my latptop and then connect the linksys to the modem through an ethernet port. Is that it?

Thanks.

PS. yep the modem has both usb and ethernet its the Thomson SpeedTouch 536 v6
Old 06-September-2007, 20:00
Daniele

Me again.

I tried to setup the router and when I make the router try to connect it gives me a message of 'Failed connecting to PPPoE. As the image shows those are the options I have. Any ideas?

Ta.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1963  
Old 06-September-2007, 21:06
Austin_KW

No, You want automatic configuration using dhcp.

The modem will run PPPoA to create a internet connection.
The modem shares this one PPP connection with any usb/ethernet devices.
The router connects to the modem as an ethernet device and gets its IP address from the modem using dhcp.
You do not need another ppp internet connection here. The router acts like any other device or PC connected to the modem.

The router then shares its connection (the one it got from the modem dhcp) with all your PCs. The router will in turn give all these PCs a dhcp address.

The only problem you may have is that the router and modem may be on the same subnets and then when the modem allocates an address it will look like it should be on the modems subnet not the routers subnet.
If this cause a problem then change the router address from 192.168.1.1 to something like 192.168.10.1 (eg from the .1 subnet to the .10 subnet); this is done on the same router setup page

hope this helps /austin

If it is not clear just follow the steps
1. connect the WAN port on the router to the modem ethernet port
2. set the router to automatic configuration-dhcp
3. If you cannot connect to the internet then change the router subnet.
Old 07-September-2007, 19:18
Daniele

Thanks a lot for the reply Austin.
I did what you suggested and set the router on automatic configuration using dhcp (as shown from the img). I changed the address to 192.168.10.1 because the modem and router had the same address and in fact I manage to get the router to realease the IP (like shown in the img status). Everything works, only problem I do not get and internet connection. I can connect to the router fine and in the router setup it looks alright, but still no internet. Any ideas?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-September-2007, 19:22
Daniele

Sorry forgot the imgs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Status.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DHCP.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1973  
Old 08-September-2007, 15:45
Austin_KW

I don't know your exact setup but your dns 10.0.0.138 looks wrong. I would have expected it to be the same as the default gateway (modem) i.e., 192.168.1.254

You can verify that it is just a dns problem if http://64.233.167.99 takes you to a google page and http://google.com does not.
Old 10-September-2007, 17:39
Daniele

Hello, thanks again for the patience. I checked and it looks like you are correct, http://64.233.167.99 takes me to a google page very quickly, but http://google.com does not. What does that suggest? And also if it helps what more information can I give you. Thanks again so much...
Old 10-September-2007, 22:16
Austin_KW

Hello, thanks again for the patience. I checked and it looks like you are correct, http://64.233.167.99 takes me to a google page very quickly, but http://google.com does not. What does that suggest? And also if it helps what more information can I give you. Thanks again so much...
Originally Posted by Daniele View Post
You need to change the dns server entry. Try changing it to your modem address 192.168.1.254 and remove the current 10.0.0.138 value.

If that does not work try changing it to the opendns.com servers
208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220
Old 11-September-2007, 19:52
Daniele

I cannot seem to find how to change the DNS server entry. Only thing I can set up is DDNS Service. I tried to get Host from DynDNS but I fail to connect to the server. This is really frustrating
Old 11-September-2007, 19:58
Daniele

Here is the setup for DDNS.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DDNS.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	1974  
Old 11-September-2007, 22:07
Austin_KW

That is the setup for other people to find your IP address. Your problem is finding the IP address for other domains (Domain Name Server DNS).

In the image of your "internet connection" that you posted,where the router gets it automatic configuration, the DNS is showing as 10.0.0.38.
I don't see where this came from as it is a private IP address. It is possible that it is valid if your ISP is running you behind a NAT router but I doubt it.
Old 13-September-2007, 23:17
Daniele

it worked I followed some instructions to change the dns on my local area connection and it worked. I had to do the same on the other laptop and it worked as well. Thanks a lot for the help, and to think the linksys customer service told me I had boiught the wrong router and I wouldn't be able to use it with Tiscali.
Old 13-September-2007, 23:30
Austin_KW

You can change the setting on each PC but you should not have to.

If you can change the 10.0.0.38 on the router, either to your gateway (modem) address 192.168.1.254 or to your ISPs DNS address then it should work whenever a new PC connects and get its address by dhcp.

Most customer service are non technical muppets reading from a script. When you said modem they probably just assumed it was a usb only modem. When it has an ethernet port it is also a router/switch. They should have asked.
Old 05-November-2007, 10:57
barbie

Talking Re: Connecting wrt54gc to tiscali uk modem

Hi there,

I just wanted to say thank you, thank you for your excellent advice! I'm in Italy right now and was being driven mad trying to get my WRT54GC Linksys router to work with a Pirelli/Netgate/Tiscali modem.

The setup wizard was useless and none the Linksys help pages were any good either.

However, right now I'm typing this using my wireless connection - so I can categorically say it works!

Thanks again.
Old 11-November-2009, 01:30
Nonix

hey austin, ive got this router, but i already have a functional router except its in another part of the house and the wireless doesnt reach around. So im installing a second router, i tried to set it up, and since its not modem it doesnt work on its own. But how can i get it to retransmit signal from first router??

thank you

Tags
connection, dhcp, dns, google, internet, isp, laptop, make, modem, nat, port, router, speed, speedtouch, thomson, tiscali, wireless