Old 07-January-2010, 14:45
Screamager

Default ADSL Questions

Sorry if this is simple, but I'm on cable and don't know the answers.

My Dad is replacing his talktalk dial up modem with a wireless modem / router. At the moment, to connect he has to double click a dial up networking shortcut and the modem dials and connects. What happens when he is working wirelessly? If it gets disconnected, how does it dial up again? Presumably he just double clicks on the DUN shortcut and it will wirelessly instruct the modem to dial? I heard the wireless modem / router is always connected, so not sure how this fits with DUN.

Thanks.
Old 07-January-2010, 16:03
Austin_KW

Default Re: ADSL Questions

In effect the router does the dial up/creates the point-point connection. You put all the settings into the modem/dsl configuration on the router. The router re-dials the connection on disconnection. You should configure the connection to be always on.

The router then shares the ppp Internet connection using NAT routing.
Every computer gets a LAN IP address.
The router NAT maps LAN adddress to the public Internet address. Outgoing connections create an automatic mapping.
You would need to create mappings to allow incoming connections (eg. if you ran a web server). Because it blocks incoming connections you effectively get a free hardware firewall.

Some routers do allow you just to use the dsl modem and then create a pppoe connection by clicking on the dial-up connection. But this is not the best way to use it and you ISP needs to support pppoe.
Old 07-January-2010, 16:20
Screamager

Thanks Austin. Currently if somebody has left a voice mail and there is an intermittant dial tone, the modem wont / cant dial. Will this be eliminated with the router?

Also we are not running a web server (just regular home use) so is there any special settings we need regarding creating mappings for incoming connections?

We intend to use Comodo Internet Security (free firewall and anti virus) for the firewall, so will the hardware firewall be impacted and do I need to disable either the hardware or software firewall?
Old 07-January-2010, 16:39
Austin_KW

The tone should not matter,the modem in the router should work as your current modem. Usual caveats apply; are you using an extension cable, filters on all extensions...
Do a test at the BT test socket to eliminate all your internal wiring and extensions and missing filters as these are the most likely to cause problems.

The new router will be adsl2+ sometimes this can work better then old adsl G.dmt but sometimes it can be more sensitive to interference.

For the web-server you just create a NAT mapping/pinhole. map ports 80 & 443 to your web servers address LAN address. Look at http://portforward.com/ it can show you how to forward for just about any router.

Just leave your software firewall in place it will not interfere.
Old 07-January-2010, 17:24
Screamager

Thanks. The tone was something talktalk told us about in some documentation. That the modem wont dial if there is an intermittant dial tone. We have to ensure there are no voice mails (voice mail causes the gap in the dial tone as an alert) before we can dial out.
Old 07-January-2010, 17:28
Austin_KW

I have talktalk and tested with various routers. No problems with the broken dial tone so I assume it is an issue with you current modem.
Old 07-January-2010, 17:50
Screamager

OK. I'll see how I go when it all arrives. Cheers.
Old 08-January-2010, 16:49

well you never know but I'd be very suprised if the dial tone made any difference, certainly on ADSL providers who had voice mail tones it made no difference to the ADSL modem connecting

ADSL is like a special frequency signal that is available on the line all the time, whether you are making a voicecall or whether the phoneset is on the hook (or whether there is a voicemail tone etc) - really don't personally think it can make a difference
Old 08-January-2010, 17:44

Thumbs up Re: ADSL Questions

I'll add to that by saying that a couple of years ago we lost our dial tone completely and were unable to make or receive calls yet the ADSL worked fine.
Old 08-January-2010, 18:49
Screamager

Weird. When there is a gap in the dial tone and we click on the dial up networking icon, it comes up saying it cant get a dial tone. We then have to check for voice mail, that is always the reason, listen to the mails and the continuous dial tone comes back and the modem has no problem connecting.
Old 08-January-2010, 21:44
Austin_KW

Odd, Why would a dsl modem check for a dial tone. As gem says they are on different frequency bands.

Its been awhile since I used an old dialup connection, but on the Network Connection/properties/modem configuration/settings there should be a dial without waiting for tone settings.
Used to have to use when connecting thru a company pabx etc.

Tags
adsl, adsl2, cable, company, computer, connection, forward, free, home, internet, isp, line, lost, mail, make, modem, nat, network, public, router, security, settings, software, talk, talktalk, virus, web, wireless