Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 31-August-2005, 14:53
zahid4u

Default BT Voyager 105 AOL SILVER

Hi i am really annoyed with the problems am getting and i assume that somebody hopefully will help me...ive just recieved my aol silver package and i have install the aol 9.0 software first and the drivers for the modem which was given to me in the install pack, well the problem now is that when ever i connect my modem (bt voyager 105) to the computer as soon as i connect it to the usb the dsl starts flashing and then the dsl light goes to solid green and about 3 seconds later the computer just reboots itself?!! basically i cant get no internet on my computer i cant even login aol i dont know what going on ive just bought this brand new computer its HP windows XP home edition, i did contact AOL telling them all the problem ive had but it looks as if they dont know what i should do.
Please can anyone solve this problem for me,
Many Thanks.
Old 31-August-2005, 15:06

Cool Re: BT Voyager 105 AOL SILVER

Welcome to The Scream zahid4u

First of all, I am not an AOL user (or a BT Voyager user either) so I cannot answer your question directly.

However, have you read this thread? I would aslo suggest that you ensure that you have the latest drivers for the Voyager.
Old 31-August-2005, 15:10
zahid4u

Default Re: BT Voyager 105 AOL SILVER

Thanks.
Yes i have updated the drivers from the website given in this thread but its still the same problem and my computer usb drivers cant be old ive just bought this computer recently brand new...
Old 01-September-2005, 15:11
dgezza

I assume you have already tried uninstalling AOl & the Drivers, and tried again, You should also install the Modem drivers BEFORE installing AOL 9. Although if you had done it the other way around i wouldnt have thought it would give you such problems. And surprised it would shut down your PC, although computers can be strange beasts.

Perhaps to prove if its the modem or not, do you have any friends with a Voyager modem you can borrow to test it. If you can prove your modem faulty im sure you can demand a new one from AOL. I have a Voyager 100 modem, never had a problem with it, on 2mb broadband too.
Regards

Dean
Old 02-September-2005, 01:51
alex_m

Go into device manager and scroll down to network adapters, look for Globespan USB LAN modem, double click and it will take you into Globespan USB Properties, click onto the power management tab at the top, look on the bottom of the box you are now in and it will say "Allow computer to turn off device to save power" if ticked untick it. Now click on apply or ok depending on your version of Windows.

Do the same again by scrolling down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and again expand and look for the USB Root Hubs, same as above untick box allowing computer to turn off device.

May or may not solve the problem, if it only happens when modem is plugged in, try another usb port, if its still happening could be a faulty modem. Try it on another PC and if this happens on another PC contact AOL for another modem to be sent out.
Old 06-September-2005, 17:35
aoluser

Lightbulb Re: BT Voyager 105 AOL SILVER

Go into device manager and scroll down to network adapters, look for Globespan USB LAN modem, double click and it will take you into Globespan USB Properties, click onto the power management tab at the top, look on the bottom of the box you are now in and it will say "Allow computer to turn off device to save power" if ticked untick it. Now click on apply or ok depending on your version of Windows.

Do the same again by scrolling down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers and again expand and look for the USB Root Hubs, same as above untick box allowing computer to turn off device.

May or may not solve the problem, if it only happens when modem is plugged in, try another usb port, if its still happening could be a faulty modem. Try it on another PC and if this happens on another PC contact AOL for another modem to be sent out.
Originally Posted by alex_m
My advice is to forget aol and get your self a decent isp buddy, look here http://adslguide.org/isps/compare.asp do a comparison between and take the one that suits your needs. i.e. if you want to download a lot make sure that the isp you chose does not have a download limit like crtappy bt or wanadoo! read the print before signing up!
Old 06-September-2005, 23:44
Scrimper

My advice is to forget aol and get your self a decent isp buddy,
Originally Posted by aoluser
I can only repeat what I said to your other anti-Aol rant in another thread! We have your message! If you have nowt to add other than Knock Aol why don't you leave the Aol section to those that use them?
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 07-September-2005, 01:02
MadGamer

Ok, did you follow the installation guide on the CD that was supplied and connect the modem when the install asked. If you did and your still having problems try this:

Go into Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs
Click On AOL Connectivity Services
Click Change/Remove
Click Repair
Wait for the repair process to complete
Double click on AOL 9.0
Select your screen name and enter your password
Enter a location
Click Next
Wait for the software to detect the Voyager 105
Once this has happened click Sign Onto AOL Now
Old 07-September-2005, 10:26
aoluser

Lightbulb Re: BT Voyager 105 AOL SILVER

I can only repeat what I said to your other anti-Aol rant in another thread! We have your message! If you have nowt to add other than Knock Aol why don't you leave the Aol section to those that use them?
Originally Posted by druid
Just want to make sure that any nOObs to ISP’s don't get fooled by the AOL media machine!
P.S. you still work for AOL customer relations?

IF YOU HAVE PERSISTENT CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS YOU CAN END YOUR AOL AGREEMENT WITHOUT BEING PENALISED! I.E. DODGY MODEM THAT KEEPS DROPPING CONNECTION!
Old 08-September-2005, 21:44
rruwalton

Originally Posted by druid
I agree druid!

First time I have checked the forums for a while and I still see aoluser (former aol member) slating AOL. He/she needs to get a life.
Old 08-September-2005, 22:52
Scrimper

Just want to make sure that any nOObs to ISP’s don't get fooled by the AOL media machine!
P.S. you still work for AOL customer relations?

IF YOU HAVE PERSISTENT CONNECTIVITY PROBLEMS YOU CAN END YOUR AOL AGREEMENT WITHOUT BEING PENALISED! I.E. DODGY MODEM THAT KEEPS DROPPING CONNECTION!
Originally Posted by aoluser
Of course I don't work for Aol! I am just sick of you continually displaying your ridiculous anti Aol rants in this forum, you have made it very clear that you think Aol is rubbish, you say that you tried them and have now left to find another ISP which according to you is ISP heaven, are you sure you don't work for an Isp who has an interest in rubbishing Aol?

BTW if you press the little button on your keyboard marked Caps Lock you will be able to post any further rants in small case,
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 09-September-2005, 01:04
j0n35y

M8, theres quite a few things you should try first. The aol software does like to play up on some computers new or old. I would try setting up a ppoe connection and connecting through that. That way you are not using the software to get on the internet.

Heres a good guide.... http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,6332885

Also try another modem, everyone knows the bt voyager 105 is the worst modem around and almost everyone on these forums have had problems with it, the solution is a decent router or a decent dsl modem.

Oh and last of all do a check for spyware, adware etc, and do a virus check and make sure u get all the latest updates from microsoft update, just in case, and maybe check to see if there is a firmware update for your motherboard as there maybe a fix for your usb problems.

I know its new but you never know.

good luck m8,

Allan
Old 20-January-2009, 23:47
broadley53

105 does not work on aol silver you need speedtouch its works perfect

Tags
aol, broadband, bt, compare, comparison, computer, connection, firmware, home, internet, isp, lock, make, modem, network, new computer, port, router, screen, software, speed, speedtouch, virus, voyager, windows