Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 26-May-2005, 22:25
tujags

Default Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Hi Scoobs thanks for reply, very odd, yesterday everthing was running slower than walking in wellis thro' syrup. today all back to normal yesterday I couldn't even upload the update. today it's like yesterday never happened & I uploaded the update OK.
red log is still reporting the AAL5 problem but all is working normal. I checked back through the log over the last few days it was all OK up to yesterday or just before there were patches of the error report interspersed with normal stuff then at some point it got 'serious' & now is just row after row of the same report. I reported to the forum some months ago that the wrong driver for the speedtouch version appeared to be loaded but it was working fine (note that the update has addressed this) why sudden 'problem' now?
Old 29-May-2005, 20:44
tujags

I give in! everything back to normal now maybe the update cured the problem?!
Old 11-June-2005, 08:46

ipcop spin off f/w http://www.efw.it

Sil
Old 11-June-2005, 12:32
Life in the Farce Lane

I'd try it if the download would work.

Keeps looping on my system.

-----

Fixed it by trying another source rather then my sourforge default.
Maybe it is missing from the kent mirror
Old 11-June-2005, 14:47

Think the kent mirror has got probs quite a few things ive gone to DL havnt come in from there.
Old 12-June-2005, 23:43
Life in the Farce Lane

Like thanks Sil,
Downloaded, installed but can't work out why the VCI VPI settings are greyed out in the network setup.
What do I manually edit for those settings?
I should know but have got so used to gui use I dont know what file it is editing.

cheers

Stu
Old 13-June-2005, 09:38

perhaps you have to upload the adsl drivers or select adsl modem somewhere

Sil
Old 13-June-2005, 12:46
Life in the Farce Lane

I selected the PCI connexant modem in another page, its almost like the setup is tailored to italy 35/8(?) rather than uk 38/0.
I assume the wizard just edits a conf file of similar, maybe I need to go back and see how it was done before the gui.
I'm sure I've read where those settings go, just cant drag it out of piles of other "old data"

Thanks for giving me something else to waste my weekend on.
the install would hang if I hit Alt-F2 to watch progress, it was OK if I left it.
Due to the type of machine it took about five goes to get a working install
then I ran into this VCI/VPI problem.
Its mainly open vpn and interest that I'm trying it.
Old 13-June-2005, 13:14

perhaps the makers have a user / dev list to ask questions on

hey - I never encouraged anyone to download or install it

I still have my main ipcop box on 1.3 (eek!)

Sil
Old 13-June-2005, 13:23
Life in the Farce Lane

yes they seem to have something but my italian is not good.

I have mentioned being a install junkie so dont try and shift the blame, you mentioned it I have been "forced" to install it.

I got the works one up to 1.4 and I wiped a perfectly good 1.4 install with this EFW one (feeling guilty yet?)

Joking apart I want to get this working to test and it frees me having to run SME server for the VPN feature.
I've gone over to a Linksys NSLU2 for file shares but I loose the VPN at the moment.
Old 13-June-2005, 14:26

humm - the easiest way I've found of hacking / working out ipcop is to look at the cgi files in /home/httpd - might be some comment in the code that points out why they are greyed or perhaps will show where the values are being saved to,. usually works

Sil
Old 05-July-2005, 09:37
Life in the Farce Lane

Turns out the driver for Connexant PCI "should be in next version" together with quite a bit of other stuff that you may assume was already working from the hype.

From the posts on sourceforge it looks like the website is more polished than the distro.

I'll wait for the next version see if the modem works otherwise I'll stop being lazy and try to get open VPN and other stuff working on IP-Cop
Old 09-August-2005, 23:05
littleman

hi

I just read your post and went to the software manual. http://www.ipcop.org/modules.php?op...opDocumentation. I looked in the section called preparing to install and it said. CAUTION: When you install IPCop on a PC, the hard drive will be formatted and all data on it will be lost.
Does this mean what i think it means.

Please e-mail me at (removed)
Thanks

Last edited by silver; 09-August-2005 at 23:19.
Old 09-August-2005, 23:21

an ipcop install is to use a spare PC and make it a dedicated router box, so essentially you need a whole PC that will not be usable as a normal windows box.

having said that some people are looking to use a virtual machine to do ipcop on but it doesn't sound that great an idea (perhaps)

Sil

PS, welcome to TS!

PPS, removed your email address as it's likely to get spam otherwise
Old 01-September-2005, 21:52
tujags

Question Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

The latest updates require you to run run kernel-2.4.29{,-smp} for it to work so being totally dumb how do you do that?
Old 01-September-2005, 23:31

The latest updates require you to run run kernel-2.4.29{,-smp} for it to work so being totally dumb how do you do that?
Originally Posted by tujags
so far as I know it's just the normal update route isn't it - just update in the normal way and it's all sorted?

where did you see abt the -smp thing?

Sil
Old 02-September-2005, 08:34
Life in the Farce Lane

To me it just means you must have applied fixes 1.4.3 and 1.4.4 (which update the kernel) before applying this update.
Old 02-September-2005, 22:04
tujags

If you read the blurb with the earlier update it mentions it. The updates are installed OK so I assume they are working - but then I had no real problems before the latest updates. The only 'problem' is that occasionally the DHCP (did I get that the right being a bit dyslexic I have problems with abbreviations) loses control & the nework PC's suddenly don't communicate over the network, running ipconfig /all show a weird ip address a quick reboot sorts out the problem. My PC's are not normally shut down the problem occasionally occurs when the DHCP times out.
Old 02-September-2005, 22:11
Life in the Farce Lane

DHCP problems could be to do with windows firewall

See http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/readme/164

the DHCP server may need to see the PC is still there, if windows cant get an address from dhcp it may use an address in the 169.256 range

Just an idea
Old 07-September-2005, 15:34
puggsley1980

I am finally going to have a crack at this tonight, after promising to do so for about a thousand years. I’m setting up a lab with a couple of 2k3 DC’s and an XP machine and I need them all to have web access in case I need some quick fixes from T’internet.

Once I get setup I will write a dummies report for you all on how easy I found it…

I’m looking forward to having my lab setup as I’ve been promising it to myself for ages…
Old 07-September-2005, 15:40

Good luck - the first install is the hard one after that it's a breeze,. I have umm 3 ipcop currently (don't ask!) but I'll be ditching one soon

Sil
Old 07-September-2005, 15:42

Have fun

What modem are you going to use?

Current ipcop version is 1.4.8
Old 07-September-2005, 16:08
puggsley1980

@ Scoobs

I've got a USB ADSL modem that TalkTalk sent me when I signed up. I think it should work as it seems a pretty standard piece of kit. If not then its back to the drawing board with my old router…

The development lads at my work have their own lab and they are using a IPCop router to connect to their own ADSL line. This is what has jogged my memory…

Plus I have a copy of Linux that I need to try out, so some exposure to the syntax might be nice…

I have a copy of IPCop burned and ready to use, just been building my servers the last few nights and doing a DR test at work that has eaten into my evenings a little.
Old 07-September-2005, 16:34

I have a zip file of all the drivers needed for ipcop 1.3 - 1.4 for the usb 330 type modem if its anygood.
Old 07-September-2005, 16:39
puggsley1980

Thanks, Look out for a frantic post later on tonight!
Old 08-September-2005, 09:22
puggsley1980

Well, I managed to get my new IPCop box up and running in a single evening, which is good news!

Being a cocky kind of git, I first tried setting it up without reading the instructions.

The only problem I had was in trying to figure out how to setup my ‘RED’ internet connection. During setup when asked to choose a network type I of course headed straight for GREEN + RED. Having a rough idea of what these would be from this post. After banging my head on the desk for a bit I went back to the beginning and this time followed the destructions to the letter. That’s when I realised that I had to select GREEN (where RED is ISDN) and then configure the USB ADSL connection through then routers web interface after the initial setup.

This is where I hit my second hiccup, how does my Sagem f@st 800 modem fit into all this? I don’t see it in the list! One quick PM to Scoobs (thanks again!) and all became well, he found a link to the IPCop forum where another user was having exactly the same problem. Turns out I needed to select the ‘Eagle’ chipset from the list. (Closer inspection reveals the ‘Sagem’ brand name in brackets after it.)

A quick connection configuration, of which some was guess work, a quick reboot and Robert is very much your father’s brother.

The only issue I have spotted so far is that my P2P application (WinMX) does not seem to be working, but I suspect that I need to open some ports up on the router to accommodate this. Further inspection should reveal an answer tonight.

All in all it took about an hour to setup, including the hiccups. I can see how it would take literally 15 minutes to configure again now I know what options I can choose.

My only criticism would be the ‘quick start’ guide, which does not make it obvious that you will be configuring your ADSL line separately to the initial setup. All the mentioning of the ‘RED’ connection at setup makes you feel as if you’re missing a step. I small foot note of reassurance for USB modem users would be nice.

On that note, it’s so far so good…!

Old 08-September-2005, 15:28
puggsley1980

Was a thread ever made about 'under-clocking' your IPCop box?
Old 08-September-2005, 15:42

Dont think so why what speed are you running at ?
Old 08-September-2005, 16:59

nop,. the only reason to underclock it would be so you could remove the fan(s) and make it quieter,. it's the opposite of overclocking (obviously!) - just lower the fsb speed and get a bigger heatsink w/o a fan

Sil
Old 08-September-2005, 17:01
puggsley1980

P2 400mhz...

I'll leave it, can't be fussed messing about with it...

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel