Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 09-April-2004, 16:49
ShelaghG

Default Support Forum

If you go to http://www.ipcops.net there is a forum, you may find the answer to you question there - they seem a helpful, knowledgeable lot.
Old 09-April-2004, 17:47

basically this is ok if you have public ip address from your isp, these are usually available but at an extra charge either monthly or yearly.
that's a static IP I would guess, nearly any ISP gives you a public IP (there's a few coutries that don't perhaps).

I don't know the answer regarding PPPOE / PPPOA - could check out the above forum or try it, tho even if it doesn't work using the dlink in bridge should work also

Sil
Old 20-April-2004, 22:17
geaves

Yes all now working including updates.

Got to sort out green network, internal, keeps going down have to reboot m/c.

Other than that s-ok thanks Shelagh for the link, there was one thread with the necessary information

Geoff
Old 15-June-2004, 21:59
yabbadabba

Unhappy Mentor 4 port router setup

Hiya all, I am struggling to setup a 4 port Mentor router in conjunction with IPCop.
The set up is as follows ROUTER-----RED INTERFACE------GREEN INTERFACE-----LAN

I have tried al combinations of ip addresses and had it so ip can ping the router and the LAN but I am having problems getting it set up to connect to the internet, I am unsure if I should use ppp0e or pptp as the ISP states ppp0a.

Any ideas welcome or an idiots guide to setting up a router would be great.
Just as food for thought I have read the IPCop FAQ's and followed it to the letter but still a no go.
I am also no that good with networks, I kinda bimble my way through if ya know what I mean.
Old 16-June-2004, 12:54

Hi yabbadabba,

Welcome to TS!

How are you connecting your router to the ISP and how are you connecting your IPcop to the router (e.g. ethernet / ADSL / cable etc)?

Before you were using IPcop how were you connecting your network / PC(s) to the ISP ?

Sil
Old 16-June-2004, 23:43
yabbadabba

Thanks for the welcome.

Firstly I was previously connected to the internet via dialup using ipcop with no problems with a 56k modem.
A few weeks ago the local exchange was activated for adsl so I signed up and am with Demon for my ISP and now have a 4 port router.
The router and connection are all fine as I can suf ok with either linux or windows connected directly to the router.
The router is ethernet connection.
The setup I am using is Router------Red Interface------Green Interface------Lan
As for IPs its Router-10.0.1.1 Red Interface-10.0.1.2 Green Interface-10.0.0.1 Lan-10.0.0.2/....

So I can ping the router from IP cop, and I can ping the Lan from IPcop, I cant ping the router from the Lan.

Where I am coming stuck is do I let the router do all of the connection settings or should IPcop be doing this, my ISP states PPP0A but this isnt an option with IPcop.

Any ideas or tips greatly welcome as surfing without IPcop is like running around with me pants down
Old 17-June-2004, 10:29

you have choices

if you setup the network in IPCop as green + red then set the red i/f as dhcp that's all you need to do.. your IPCop will get given a private address on it's red i/f and you will be doing NAT twice (make sure you pick a different address space for the green side of IPCop)

the other option would be (if router allows) you can set the router to behave as a modem or bridge (rather than doing full NAT) and have IPCop connect to that.. I'm not sure exactly how you do that, I think someone else did it (read back in this thread perhaps?).

with the first option the only thing that needs doing is to use 2 different address spaces between the networks..,

so if the router is giving out
192.168.1.0 / 255.255.255.0

then the green side of ipcop should be something like
192.168.2.0 / 255.255.255.0

how is it setup currently?

Sil

PS, the router will be offering similar protection as IPcop, since both are doing NAT type routing and will block inbound connection attempts, you might consider not using IPcop - unless you are running servers and want to use the IPCop dmz feature
Old 17-June-2004, 21:49
yabbadabba

Default Woohoo its working.

Ipcop and Router settings

Woohoo its now working and I have progressed a little along the learning curve of networking.

This is how I have got my Ipcop and Router set up and they are now working ok at the moment with no apparent problems. Apart from some lag when playing Call of Duty so I am gonna upgrade the IPcop machine from a 233mhz with 128m to a 500mhz with 128M and see if this cures the problem.

Ipcop is set up with a Green/Red interface, set up as static rather than dhcp/pppoe/pptp and using the settings below.
The Router is set up as it would be for a normal connection but with the Ipcop IP set up for DMZ.

IP settings

Router 10.0.1.1
Ipcop Red 10.0.1.2
Ipcop Green 10.0.0.1
Lan 10.0.0.2/10

DNS settings

Router ISP DNSís
Ipcop DNS set as Router IP
Lan DSN set to ISP DNSís

Gateways

IPcop Default Gateway set to Router IP
Lan Default Gateway set to Ipcop IP

Hopefully this might help a few other people as I found trying to get info on setting up Ipcop with a router was a nightmare and information is very scarce or in a language that means nowt to me as I do not fully understand the workings of networking to the level thatís needed to understand the workings or a router and Ipcop yet.
Old 17-June-2004, 22:23

thanks for letting us know

I think the apparent slowdown is likely to be caused by doing NAT twice, ipcop on a 233 should be fine (it would be hard to push the box unless it were doing something like web proxying for 50 users)..

see if the router allows 'bridge mode' or 'modem only', that way you remove the NAT stuff from the router and only IPCop does NAT

Sil
Old 18-June-2004, 15:31

Thought i would post this here might come in handy.

it a link to FAQ's for ipcop 1.4 (currently still in beta)

IP COP 1.4 FAQ
Old 27-June-2004, 18:08
billytee

Sil - or whoever - some help please! Still trying to get this set up - managed to burn the ISO image successfully after a while, but now I'm a bit stuck. During installation, I have to configure the green network, yes?
Does it have to be connected during the process?
Does the IPCop computer have to be connected to the Internet to download the file? The manual seems to indicate it does...
And I'm a bit confused as to which IP address should be used when first setting it up. I'm using what is specified as the Default Gateway on my winipcfg window - correct?
I'm also doubtful that I have enough hardware. I have the IPCop machine with two NIC cards, and three other PCs with one NIC card each. I'm currently connecting to the Internet via NTL's service that comes through the digibox - so it's coming from them, through the digibox, up to my PC. I'm thinking that with IPCop, it should come through the digibox, into the IPCop PC, out of another NIC card and into a hub which splits it to each of the other three PCs.

I have the hub and necessary cables (except for one which will be purchased shortly) - is anything else needed that I haven't thought of?

Also, I read in the manual that IPCop downloads extra installation files... I presume one separate network is set up, to download the configuration, then the final network is set from that... this is really confusing me, having no prior knowledge of networking at all...

In short... HELP!!!

EDIT: Just a quick diagram of what I explained above, to help things along.

Last edited by billytee; 27-June-2004 at 18:25.
Old 27-June-2004, 18:36

yep - you are nearly there, topology is right as you have it

the only files that need to be downloaded (in your case) are the updates - but you will see that when you are fully up and running

green network - is the internal network,. so set this to something like 192.168.1.1 with mask 255.255.255.0

then all your internal PCs will be in that range - e.g. 192.168.1.2 192.168.1.3 etc

red - jus setup as dhcp and connect it to the cable box - an it'll work

Sil
Old 27-June-2004, 18:47
billytee

Right, that's all well and good, but I have a few more questions, but I think the questions will arise as I get to it.

I managed to get through the setup process using the IPCop Quick Start guide. That topology isn't actually what I have at the moment, it's a proposed one - I need to get a cable for it all to work.

After that, do I need to run anything on the three PCs, such as the Networking wizard, or what?

Also - those IPs you give for the three internal PCs, do they have to be set manually?
Old 27-June-2004, 19:03

you can turn on dchp on ip cop if you want it to be automatic or set them manually on each comp

the gateway and dns server are the ipcop ip (192.168.0.90) in pic
then each comp would have its own ip like 192.168.0.95 then 96 , 97 etc

Old 27-June-2004, 19:20
billytee

That doesn't really help me, unfortunately... I'm not exactly au fait with the networking jargon. If I set IPCop to DHCP (which I believe I already have done) then I shouldn't need to do anything more on the other three, is that correct?
Old 27-June-2004, 19:33

yep if you have turned dchp on and set it to your ip range windows should set its self up ..
Old 27-June-2004, 19:34
billytee

Well I've done everything so far and my PC1 still has no Internet access - it's the only one I've tested.
Old 27-June-2004, 19:36

there's 2 places for dhcp on ipcop - the first is dhcp on red - this should be on,. so that NTL gives your IPCop it's external or internet IP addy

the 2nd place on ipcop to turn it on is via the admin / setup screens once you are connected - so that ipcop gives out IP addys to your internal PCs.

what have you set as the green network on ipcop?

Sil

PS, if you are not yet using the hub and are connecting PC straight to IPCop then you will need to use a x-over ethernet cable - if you are using the hub then use normal ethernet cable to connect them up.
Old 27-June-2004, 20:00
billytee

I've updated the image on page 9 to indicate the setup I have currently including the wires. The only thing is that PC2 isn't actually connected to the network as of now.

I am currently using a machine with a direct Internet connection, so don't worry about that.

How can I enable the internet on PC1, as it has never been connected to the Internet before? It's an XP machine with O/B NForce Ethernet capability.
Old 22-July-2004, 17:08
BigFatG

Default Smooth Wall

Hi, I am rather new to this forum ( 2 minutes) but found it rather interesting.

Anyways, I have made a couple IPCop Firewalls (using anything from a 486 to a celeron 266). They worked great, especially during my dial-up days. I could put a 56k ISA modem in there, have it dial-out for me, even share that connection between my roommate and myself (roommate days are over. got married)

What I would like to mention is that I am now using SmoothWall, instead of IpCop. There is not too much difference (I do believe that one is copying the other), but I have been very impressed with Smoothwall. Visually the GUI is much better than IpCop (not that that matters much). It is very stable, which I couldn't always say of the IpCop. Eventhough reseting the IpCop every other month isn't that bad, but with SmoothWall I haven't had to do anything. The VPN on both products will work together too.

Anyways, didn't want to critizise IPCop, 'cause I think it's great too, but take a look at SmoothWall. I would be interested in hearing what others think.
Old 22-July-2004, 17:18

Welcome to TS! BigFatG

what version of ipcop did you run as 1.4 is very easy on the eye with the gui i was running it for a few months as well as 1.3. But have moved to smoothwall just to see what it is like, it has a few nice bits that ipcop 1.4 hasnt but i find 1.4 better on the gui side.

just my 2p worth

Last edited by Scoobs; 22-July-2004 at 17:26.
Old 28-July-2004, 22:32
G0AOZ

Default Difficulty with Speedtouch 330 USB device

Hi,

Just got IPCOP v1.3.0 loaded onto an old 400MHz PC, and can connect to it's homepage via a second PC attached to the "GREEN" interface.

I'm trying to use a Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB modem, but unsure of which drivers to use, and where/how they're to be installed. This modem was working ok previously, but now I'm not so sure... Both l.e.d.s are lit (solid), even when the ADSL connection is not plugged in!

Can someone please guide me through driver installation for this modem, including precisely which driver(s) I need, and where to get 'em from, how to install, etc.

One final question for the moment... I know ZERO about linux! This PC boots up and stops at "ipcop login:". When I come to close down the PC, is there some command to issue, "QUIT", "EXIT", "OFF" ??? Or do I just hit the power ON/OFF button on the PC?

ROGER.
Old 29-July-2004, 14:41

Hi G0AOZ

You will need the mgmnt.o file it can be found on the thompson site pm me and email addy if you cant find it.

When you log into ipcop via another compter on green you will see an option to upload for the modem just point this to the file and it will do the rest.

You then need to set up the dial account you will see most things are standard in there just put the required info in.

If in the uk make sure you put 0 and 38 in the number part also select standard login script and set dns to auto unless you no your isps dns numbers click save.

You should then beable to see it on the main screen with connect disconect etc.

To shut down ipcop there will be an option on the webadmin to reboot or shutdown

sorry to sound a bit vage but im on SW atm and cant rember what the headings are for each section on ipcop.
Old 29-July-2004, 21:49
G0AOZ

Default Thanks but...

Hi Scoobs,

Thanks for the ZIP'd file. Copied the MGMT.O file to the PC that's talking to IPCOP, and then uploaded it - it said upload was successful, or summat like that. Tried hitting the "Connect" button but nothing much happened. Gave both PCs a reboot, but still won't connect. PC will ping the IP of IPCOP's GREEN i/f ok, but when I try PINGing say my ISP's DNS server I get this:-

Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination net unreachable.

(192.168.1.1 is the IP of the GREEN i/f, and I have this as the gateway on the PC that's connected to it).

I think I've filled in all the boxes... I presume Alcatel USB ADSL should be selected. Telephony Persistent Connection. VPI 0 VCI 38. Username and password in ok, but is Method: PAP or CHAP or what? Clicked manual and inserted DNS primary and secondary DNSs.

I checked that the USB port and modem was working properly under WIN98SE, so I know that's not an issue now...

Any other clues...?

ROGER.
Old 29-July-2004, 22:02

set login script to standard , set your dns to auto just in case click save then go to conect screen and should say current profile adsl or what ever you named it then click conect.

you can look in the logs it should show whats going on if its not conecting.

make sure you set time out to 0 as well else it will disconect you after 15 mins.

did you set your win98 comp up as to static ip like pics /text in a few pages back
Old 30-July-2004, 20:38
G0AOZ

Default Nope! Not a sausage...

Hi Scoobs

Thanks for your reply...

You said, [set login script to standard , set your dns to auto just in case click save then go to conect screen and should say current profile adsl or what ever you named it then click conect.]

Yes, done all that, named my profile G0AOZ which came up on the "connect" screen, but it didn't connect. I note that on this screen under "Current profile: G0AOZ", it says "Alcatel USB idle", even when I'm trying to connect. Is that right?

I set timeout to 0 and I confirm the laptop PC that's connecting to IPCOM is set for static IP.

Logs - not sure which ones will provide clues...

Section: IPCOP

time ipcop IPCop started.
time ipcop Profile saved: G0AOZ
time ipcop Profile made current: G0AOZ
time ipcop Dialing G0AOZ.

Section: PPP

time pppd pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid0
time pppd Using interface ppp0
time pppd Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyp0
time pppd Modem hangup
time pppd Connection terminated.
time pppd Exit.

Section: Kernel

(Huge list - I've just shown last few lines).

time kernel usbdevfs: USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
time kernel usb_control/bulk_msg:timeout
time kernel usbdevfs: USBDEVDF_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x5 len 991 ret -110
time kernel usb-uhci_submit_urb: pipesize for pipe c0038280 is zero

So, does this give any clues as to what is going wrong please, as I've no idea what to check next...

ROGER.
Old 30-July-2004, 21:05
G0AOZ

Default Further to the above...

The IPCOP computer uses an old AT format mobo, so doesn't auto-power off at shutdown. After termination I notice the screen shows a couple of errors:-

Power down.
general protection fault: f000

and

Code: Bad EIP value.
/etc/rc.d/rc.halt: line 30 707 segment fault halt -i -d -p

Don't know what that indicates...

ROGER.
Old 04-August-2004, 03:57
BigFatG

Thanks for the welcome, scoobs.

I was unaware that there is a version 1.4 of IPCop. Is it a prerelease?

Anyways, I am starting to collect parts together for another firewall I need to build and I am wondering if you have an idea whether I should go with SmoothWall or IPCop. It will be in front of a webserver that hosts a game-server as well. Just wondering if you would prefer IPCop on this one and what your reasons would be. I am leaning more toward IPCop since it does have some more extra switches that SmoothWall doesn't have. These might come in handy when trying to make the firewall transparent to the webtraffic.
Old 06-August-2004, 17:40

Hi BigFatG IPcop 1.4 is still in beta current version is 8 after using both ipcop 1.3 and 1.4 and also running smoothwall im leaning more to ipcop 1.4 will see more once its out in the real world.
Old 21-August-2004, 22:24
jackassuk56

will this work with an usb scientific atlantica webstar modem with drivers for windows or will i need to get linux ones

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel