Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 26-December-2004, 18:45
Life in the Farce Lane

Default Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

I think you can run setup again by logging on as root and entering "setup"
It is easy to set the dhcp server, and then restart the XP box.

Or log on and run "ifconfig" that should tell you what the address of the green network is.

Manually set the XP box address to one in the same network range and subnet as the green interface then try the http://green_address:81 or https://green_address:445
Old 02-January-2005, 19:37
tujags

Sorry for delay been away for a few days. I think I have IPCop sorted more or less & set up I can access ipcop from any IE browser on my network PC's & have connected thro' my Speedtouch 330 DSL modem. ipcop homepage shows 'connected' problem I now have is I can't download updates from IPCop Homepage & I can't connect my existing BTYahoo browser to the net. its still trying to connect through the modem as if it was still in the USB port on the PC it can't find the modem via the network. Some thing not quite right with the setup some where. I tried the BTYahoo help line but they don't support networking at the moment.
Old 02-January-2005, 21:29
tujags

Unhappy Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

I may have found another problem, the old PC mainboard uses a VIA chipset reading info from various sites on USB connectivity seems that VIA USB controllers limit the power available to USB sockets to 500mA speedtouch 330 DSL modem draws 570mA = problems!?
Old 02-January-2005, 21:52
tujags

If I fit a PCI - USB card can I install it from IPCop? - sorry so many questions

Last edited by tujags; 02-January-2005 at 22:21.
Old 02-January-2005, 23:55
Life in the Farce Lane

Once IP-Cop is setup you should not need to do anything with the modem from the workstation.

It may be that your browser needs to told to connect via the LAN
IE - Tools- Internet Options-Connections and Check "never dial a connection" then in LAN settings - Automatically detect settings
That assumes IP-Cop is giving out the correct DHCP details.

I donít think you should have too much of a problem with 570ma as that is max and should only ever be for a short period.
I've not tried it but a powered Hub could get round the problem from a power point of view.

I'm not familiar with BT Yahoo setup but assume that is to do with connecting directly from a workstation so you should not use that at all. All browsing is done direct with the Web browser.

OH yeah and I assumed you used the right settings for VPI VCI
From a quick search BT Yahoo seems to require
VPI 0
VCI 38
Old 03-January-2005, 00:16

the usb might or might not be an issue, a PCI card will work - I think it's mentioned somewhere in <thread>:USB ADSL ? Read This!

the page not found might be a DNS issue - try using an IP direct to see if a page will load, i.e. in one of the client PCs try an IP for google or something http://66.102.11.104 - if that works then it's a DNS issue and perhaps IPcop is not set to take the DNS servers for your ISP when it connects?

Sil
Old 03-January-2005, 12:29
tujags

Not winning at the moment I fitted a 4 port pci USB card & at the 3rd try in the PCI sockets got the matching IRQ with the USB controller. Fired it up but the modem would not work in the card sockets. card is good & works in PC it was removed from. Do I need to do something in Linux to enable it?

There are known problems between VIA & speedtouch 330 modem....? VIA are qute sniffy about it! Quote "You have 500ma @5V available at your USB ports....if you exceed this amount of current draw then whatever you plug in is not going to work" their USB ports have no safety net 500ma is the absolute maximum not a ma more.

I tried the IP direct no luck, cannot connect page hit the screen as soon as I hit the go button!
I a a bit surprised that IPCop can't download the updates as it knows it is connected - to what?
Also tried the Check Never dial a connection no difference I can Browse to IPCop console but not the Internet.
confirm VPI 0 VCI 38.
Still a case of the operation was a success but the patient is dead!
Trust me to get a difficult B*gger!
Old 03-January-2005, 17:52

You havent got a proxy set for the browser have you ?

Also go to the network / dial on ipcop and tick the Connection debugging box this will then show more info in the red logs.

Have you uploaded the correct file for the speedtouch modem as the new ones are different to the older type.

Ipcop will not download the updates it will just tell you theres some there you click the more info link and it will take you to soundforge for you to dl to your computer then use the upload button to upload to ipcop.
Old 03-January-2005, 19:32
tujags

No not got proxy set for the browser
But got another problem. I went thro' the IPCop setup again checked all settings OK rebooted everthing IPCop first then 2 other PC's on network checked ipconfig /all on PC's IP addresses were 254..... not 192... IPCop DHCP not setting addresses? network was all to hell!
I have set them manually at the moment so can connect to IPCop BUT as soon as I try to action anything I get a 'restricted' dialogue box asking me for username & password on both network PC's. I wasn't aware I had set anything to trigger that but it won't accept anything I enter as I have not knowingly set them up!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PC's are both XP Pro SP2)

I have both files for the speedtouch modem I assume it is a late one as it has the Thompson name not the original name I got it last March ?? How do you know which is correct?
I clicked on the update info link to soundforge correct address came up in Browser but did not connect.

I seem to be further back than I was yesterday! Really doing my head in & back to work tomorrow running out of time. Each time I come on here I have to move the modem back to this PC & reinstate the net connection.

help!
Old 04-January-2005, 21:49
Life in the Farce Lane

right now this is more of a question list than an attempt at answer.

When I mentioned the powered hub I meant an external hub, one that should not require and playing around with IRQ's (forgive if I being dumb here)

I donít really understand the bit about moving the card around to get the right IRQ is that something IP-Cop requires you to do (yes obviously I am being dumb here)

Two things spring to mind here, you are definitely connecting to the green network not orange (the user and password sound like an external proxy)

Does XP firewall have user and password?

I can try the Hub between IP-Cop and Thompson modem if I would help but some things I'd like to confirm first.
1 Are there two steady leds (I.E not flashing or going dim) on the modem after the IP-Cop has booted?

2 Are you 100% sure you have entered the username and password for your ISP correctly?

I normally connect the thompson to my beat up old Laptop to check that it is working and get a feel for the led behaviour then move it on to the IP-Cop

As I said only questions sorry guys I'm confused
Old 04-January-2005, 22:12

I have set them manually at the moment so can connect to IPCop BUT as soon as I try to action anything I get a 'restricted' dialogue box asking me for username & password on both network PC's. I wasn't aware I had set anything to trigger that but it won't accept anything I enter as I have not knowingly set them up!!!!!!!!!!!!! (PC's are both XP Pro SP2)
Does it look like this the restricted dialogue box ?

If so you enter the username admin and the password you set for it during the ipcop install when it asked you to enter root and setup passwords.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ipcoplogin (Medium).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	410  
Old 05-January-2005, 19:55
tujags

Sorry for delay couldn't get near PC yesterday.
StuC
not being dumb I wanted to use a separate PCI card as this bypasses power limitations of VIA chipset & gets power from the power supply not the mainboard, so is in effect similar to powered hub. Moving the PCI card to different slots changes the IRQ number so I moved it until the IRQ was same as onboard USB controller other slots IRQ's clash with audio controller or other onboard controllers & will definitely not work. For some reason even with same IRQ it still did not work.
Only got Green network set up as modem is USB=no NIC card
Present Firewall is Zone Alarm Pro but I switched it off while setting IPCop(not using XP firewall)
I can try a powered hub but it is in use on my son's Laptop so I would have to mug him for it!
1 Definitely 2 steady lights on speedTouch modem with IPCop booted.
2 Pretty sure username & password are correct & I checked them carefuly before entering them.
Scoobs
Yes thats the dialogue box, it threw me because I was not getting it when first accessing IPCop dunno why but thanks I will try that.

Icould try another PC I've got an old Cyrix333 but it has no USB sockets & last time I tried the PCI card in it screwed it up.
XP finds new hardware & sets it up - can the Linux OS in IPCop install the PCI card (manually)?
I'm sure problems here are my bumbrain but it just might be equipment problem.
Old 05-January-2005, 20:52
tujags

I have checked BTyahoo troubleshooting guide noticed under connections it says connection tab should show VPI=0 VCI=38 PPoA & VCMUX note is the last bit important (VCMUX) as it is not on IPCop page?
admin & password worked fine ,thanks!
Old 05-January-2005, 22:24
tujags

I've done more checking the Upload shows a Modem Rev4, uploaded file ZZZL.3.012 Present.
I rechecked the PPP settings they are as the page in the Admin & Configuration Manual with my Authentication details.
When I click conect in the IPCop homepage the bar at the page bottom
'says' opening page https://192.168.1.1:445/cgi-bin/index.cgi...
but it won't connect.
Do I need to set Client PC's to Automatically Obtain an IP Address? I have set them to fixed addresses outside the DCHP server range. I had a problem when I set them to automatic they ended up with IP addresses starting 254. . . not 192. 168.. seems that IPCop was not setting the addresses. I can try it again.
Old 05-January-2005, 23:18
tujags

Yet more!
I reset the network PC's to obtain....automatic got addresses in the correct range both can connect to IPCop both can make IPCop connect but can't connect to any internet address & update can't connect to soundforge so I'm still stuffed!
Old 05-January-2005, 23:45

So it says conected on the main ipcop page then ?

did you enable the extra debug info in the dial settings if so go to the system logs and select red and have a look in there it might sow an error or something
Old 06-January-2005, 19:53
tujags

System logs does not list Red log but the only log shows -
IPCop dialling Broadband
ipcop ERROR failed to connect to Alcatel USB modem.

Repeats above for each attempt.
So something wrong with Modem setup but What? Modem has both LED on ipcop home page says connected but it isn't
Settings are a per Admin manual for modem.

Please clarify one thing if you are using a usb modem there is no card so there is no setting the RED network is that correct? Thats how I read the installation instructions but am I wrong? I can't think of anything else to make it Rock & Roll.
It seems to my logical(fairly!) mind that ipcop need to detect the modem, is setting the Dialup page enough? My problem has got to be something fundamental (Me being dumb - DOH) or What!
Old 06-January-2005, 20:56

I run ipcop with the usb 330 modem as do many others.

You will see info in the red system logs if you tick the box in the dialup setting as said above it will tell you more info in there like firmware failed , wrong password etc.

on the dial up page does it say firmware present just under the adsl setting where you put the 0 38 etc
Old 06-January-2005, 23:32

How old is your 330 modem ? you might need the old type firmware.

As it hasnt conected to your isp on the log.

I take it when you installed ipcop you did a green / red (modem) install
Old 06-January-2005, 23:47
tujags

Modem is about 1 year old got it in March 2004 from BTYahoo
Not sure did IPCop identify the modem as version 4 or was that from uploaded firmware? I up loaded the earlier & later file & IPCop seemed to chose the later file - or was that an illusion? I have also seen the file mgmt.o in the documentation.(not uploaded) must admit to being confused (not difficult at my age) as to which was correct.
How easy is it to change the firmware & try the earlier file?
I did the Green/red is ISDN modem & tried Green/red but it didn't like that as it couldn't probe for card
Old 07-January-2005, 00:08
tujags

In the IPCop log (first log in list)
after starting ipcop
& attempting to dial broadband it reports
'ipcop ERROR can't start RED when it's still active'
'ipcop dial failed: 256'

Unfortunately I must head for bed - early start for work!
If your not getting too bored I will try again tomorrow
Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-January-2005, 09:06

Try the early firmware listed or the O one, have a look at the label on the modem might say its rev number.

Just go to the upload page and reupload it.

I take it on the dial up page you have selected speedtouch user mode from the drop down list.

when you set it up you should have done the green (red modem) option and disabled the isdn, it will probe for a network card. Rerun setup if you are not sure.

Dchp enabled up to you really you can turn it on from the browser (1.4.1 has an error)
Old 07-January-2005, 21:40
tujags

I have uploaded the earlier firmware for pre rev3 modem. still not connecting
modem label got lots of numbers but no obvious revision code.
Definitely selected speedtouch user mode.
Checked Setup correct option selected with ISDN disabled.
Dchp is issuing sensible numbers right at top of range ie. 192.168.1.29 for 1 PC & 192.168.1.30 for the other. I have disabled Zone Alarm as it can interfere with network function.
I have set dial on demand but it will not connect returns the usual DNS Error from I.E.
Here is later part of RED log after alternative firmware uploaded this version of ipcop won't upload mgmt.o only the other 2 files.
19:52:11 red: Speedtouch USB Uploading firmware to modem
19:52:11 modem_run[459] modem_run version 1.2 started by root uid 0
19:52:11 modem_run[459] Found SpeedTouch USB modem
19:52:11 modem_run[459]: Modem revision 0400
19:52:11 modem_run[459] Best offset 32 with probability 100%
19:52:11 modem_run[459] Best offset 927 with probability 100%
19:52:11 modem_run[459]: Firmware info (CRC:0x69636579, Size:935, Checked Yes, Alcatel/Thomson Boot block (new))
19:52:11 modem_run[459] Best offset 967 with probability 100%
19:52:11 modem_run[459] Best offset 775537 with probability 100%
19:52:11 modem_run[459]: Firmware info (CRC:0x41d4143c, Size:775545, Checked Yes, 0.0.0 - testing firmware from Thomson)
19:52:13 kernel: usb_control/bulk_msg timeout
19:52:13 kernel: usbdevfs USBDEVFS_BULK failed dev 2 ep 0x85 len 512 ret -110
19:52:13 modem_run[459]: BLOCK1 : 935 bytes uploaded OK
19:52:13 modem_run[459]: BLOCK2 : 511 bytes downloaded OK
19:52:16 modem_run[459]: BLOCK3 : 775545 bytes uploaded OK
19:52:16 modem_run[459]: BLOCK4 : 511 bytes downloaded OK
19:52:17 modem_run[459]: Modem reference 35720370......
19:52:19 pppd[503] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
19:52:19 pppd[503] Using interface ppp0
19:52:19 pppd[503] local IP address 10.64.64.64
19:52:19 pppd[503] remote IP address 10.112.112.112
19:52:20 pppd[580] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
19:52:20 pppd[580] Using interface ppp1
19:52:20 pppd[580] not replacing existing default route to ppp0 [10.112.112.112]
19:52:20 pppd[580] local IP address 10.64.64.65
19:52:20 pppd[580] remote IP address 10.112.112.113
19:52:20 pppd[503] Starting link
19:52:21 pppd[503] Serial connection established.
19:52:21 pppoa3[627] pppoa3 version 1.2 started by root (uid 0)
19:52:21 pppoa3[627] Control thread ready
19:52:21 pppd[503] using channel 1
19:52:21 pppd[503] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
19:52:21 pppoa3[627] pusb_claim_interface 1 failed
19:52:21 pppd[503] Script /usr/sbin/pppoa3 -c -m 1 -vpi 0 -vci 38 finished (pid 627), status = 0xff
19:52:21 pppd[503] Modem hangup
19:52:21 pppd[503] Connection terminated.
19:52:21 pppd[503] Exit.
19:52:47 modem_run[459] ADSL synchronization has been obtained
19:52:47 modem_run[459] ADSL line is up (576 kbit/s down | 288 kbit/s up)
19:52:47 pppd[768] pppd 2.4.2 started by root, uid 0
19:52:47 pppd[768] Using interface ppp0
19:52:47 pppd[768] local IP address 10.64.64.64
19:52:47 pppd[768] remote IP address 10.112.112.112
19:52:48 pppd[768] Starting link
19:52:48 pppoa3[815] pppoa3 version 1.2 started by root (uid 0)
19:52:48 pppoa3[815] A previous instance seems to be running
19:52:48 pppoa3[815] Sending the kill signal to 627 and waiting...
19:52:48 pppd[768] Serial connection established.
19:52:48 pppd[768] using channel 2
19:52:48 pppd[768] Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/0
19:52:49 pppd[768] sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4e0abca5>]
19:55:01 pppd[768] sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x4e0abca5>]
19:55:19 pppd[768] LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Older Newer
any thoughts?
attached snapshot of dialup page (well I tried to attach ???)

Last edited by tujags; 07-January-2005 at 21:43. Reason: attachment not worked
Old 07-January-2005, 22:45
tujags

Dialup.jpg attached
I have emailed Thompson to get revision version of my modem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dialup.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	414  

Last edited by tujags; 07-January-2005 at 22:53. Reason: more info
Old 09-January-2005, 10:40
tujags

Reading posts VIA chipsets seem to be problems so I dug out my oldest PC (Cyrix333) & tried it fired up OK with Windows 98 so was working fine.
Booted up with IPCop CD Rom got as far as partitioning disk & stopped. Tried again Ditto! (B*gger) Dismantled PC tried a different disk (Known good) stripped out all unwanted card etc checked BIOS all fine. Rebooted with IPCop CD same again!
Tried to reach hidden Console screen but ALT-F2 just gave me a help command not hidden screen.

I'm beginning to lose the will to live.......!
Old 09-January-2005, 23:47
tujags

Smile Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

So in the end I 'rebuilt' the IPCop PC did a reinstall from the CD Rom went right thro' everything & IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't know what the problem was the settings look the same. PHEW!
I'll keep you posted on how it performs.
Thanks again.
Old 09-January-2005, 23:58

Least you are up and running
Old 10-January-2005, 00:10

well done on getting it working

yep - let us know what you reckon

Sil
Old 10-January-2005, 19:50
tujags

Smile Re: Make Your Own Router - secrets revealed

Well the first noticeable change was a much faster connection I also found on further investigation that the old PC is an Athlon K6 not a Celeron as I thought, hard drive is 15gb - plenty room!? I have 2 PC's connected at the moment both loaded well, so far all fine.
No noise problem My Advent P4 2.2gb(PC Worlds finest) makes so much fan noise you can't hear anything else! These more moden PC's have more fans than a Premiership Football club.
Old 14-January-2005, 14:34
bigbadbarry

Hi Everyone, thanks for the posts on IPcop, Im goin try set it up this evening, I believe I have everything I need on hand. Maybe more later on progress.

About Emule: I had to setup a port forward. My front soldier (W2k) has two nic cards...from there I dump into 5-hub netgear switch...(a real trooper).

Tell firewall to let ip-range in, on certain ports...(but this does not forward the ports)...then use "portforward" from http://www.analogx.com to easily forward ports to emule machine...its real simple.. port # = local ID. For mine the user friendly network neighborhood name was sufficient.

Barry

Tags
adsl, aol, bt, cable, compare, connection, dead, deals, dns, file sharing, firmware, free, hacking, isp, make, modem, nat, network, router, share, sharing, slow, software, sound, speed, speedtouch, thomson, virgin, voyager, web, windows, wireless, zyxel