Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > General Chatty Stuff

Old 25-October-2001, 13:08
squidgy

Talking

Well, this is the first time I've read and posted in this thread. I'm afraid to have to say, but on any vBulletin forum, any thread which is marked as "Important" and which stays at the top is one that I usually ignore, I don't really believe that anything in a forum can be really important.

Still, that aside, I'm starting to consider joining in again. Mind you, there's no way I'm going to leave my computer on all night, there's also no way that I'm going to be happy to have the program running whilst doing things that seem to be quite CPU intensive, such as playing MPEGs or DVDs. Which I tend to do a lot. So, yes, it's ok for it to run in the background, but the UD program must be incredibly easy to stop when I want to. Can anyone comment? Thanks.

I still sometimes get occasional dropped frames with PowerDVD, and I'm not quite sure why yet. The diagnostic says "We strongly recommend you to install the IDE or bus master driver that comes with your motherboard and enable the DMA mode for accessing your DVD-ROM." I'm sure I've done this already, several times, but it still says it. What's wrong? With all due respect, I'd like to get this sorted out first before considering joining this cancer research thing, partly because of the amount of money I've spent on DVD hardware and rentals.

Having said that, ok, I've had generally bad experiences of installing new software in the past, but recent experiences seem to be a bit better.

On the subject of the autodialler, personally I wouldn't do it, but that's only because I want to have full control of my phone line. Whether the plain text password constitutes a security risk depends on your ISP, in my opinion.

In particular, it depends on whether your dial-up uses CLI authentication or not. If they do, then it really doesn't matter whether anyone discovers your password or not. The worst that could happen if someone does is that they might be able to read your email or deface your personal web pages. However, even that can be avoided if you use alternative services that don't use the same password.

However, on the other hand, if you use a dial-up without CLI authentication, and can use it on any phone line, I would recommend thinking twice about using this autodialler program.

This means that in the UK, ISP's that it's ok to use the autodialler with include Tiscali Unlimited, NTLworld and any of the Surf Together ISP's. Or any 0845 ISP. ISP's that should NOT be used for this purpose include 08002go, Demon Internet and possibly BT Anytime as well.
Old 26-October-2001, 12:39

UD prog is really easy to stop, there's even a 'snooze' button on it that stops it working for a configurable amount of time. That said, it is written so that it only actually does anything when there's nothing more important for your PC to do, ie if you're running a game or watching a vid the UD thing won't be running at all.

On the auto dialler an trying your username / password into it, I don't personally think it's anything to be concerned over, lots of progs I can think of, which dial your connection, need your username / password inputting, flashget and winproxy being 2. The fact the data is stored in 'plain text', well if someone compromises your PC they can get that sort of information from the registry an then decode it, windoz 'encrcpytion' isn't hard to break. If your PC is compromised then all passwords etc should be changed an assume that any of those accounts might now be compromised. That said, I don't know whether I'd use it, if I had a dialup connection, purely because I don't want my PC dialling out by itself.

Sil

PS squidgy, not sure abt your DVD probs, I don't think that running UD would make any difference, an you can always exit the app if it does
Old 29-October-2001, 15:20

They seem to have changed the way some bits of the programs work, I always use the Hibernate feature of win2k/XP and this dumps a memory snapshot onto disk then powers off the pc, then reloads it when you switch on.

This works really well with the UD client cos you don`t lose any units when you power off, and previously the CPU time just took off from where it was before it hibernated.

Now if I hibernate for X hours the cpu time increases by X hours. My last unit took "148" hours apparently (That was a cyclowhatsit - it spent about "48" hours on the last 2%)

(I did get ~1500 points for that unit though )
Old 01-November-2001, 12:08
Screamager

These cyclooxygenase units are really beginning to do my head in.
My server and this comp have been processingthem for days on end now, and I have lost 30 hours of processing time 3 times now due to having to reboot my main comp after a hang up.

How on earth are people supposed to complete these units? If you power down your pc every night (I don't, but most do) then you effectively lose all that processing you have done that day
I leave my comps on 24/7 but just recently have had a hang-up problem on my Win98se (shock!) machine and have had to reboot it. So I go from 70hrs processing time back to 37hrs processing time.

So, how can someone that doesn't leave their comp on 24/7 complete these units? I mean I try not to reboot mine, and I can't even compete hese units

'Slo
Old 01-November-2001, 12:19

is a pain, the next lot of units seem a lot easier to complete, they really need to look into how often the results are saved to disk, so you don't loose anything (or loose less anyway).

Ive noticed how it works (I think?) the number on the top left of the graphical view, the number right at the end of that goes from 1 to 100 (most of the time) when it gets to 100 you get another percent, an the result is saved, if there's lots of conformers then it will take a long time to get a particular percentage point..

Sil
Old 01-November-2001, 12:33
Screamager

Yeah but do you see my point? Surely the program will suffer as a result because there will be all these devices trying to complete units that they have no chance of completing. The only way around it would be to uninstall the program and then re-install it again I suppose.

I am not goign to do this ofcourse....my life isn't run by this UD program to that extent

'Slo
Old 01-November-2001, 12:43
Screamager

People are suggesting that they build a manual save feature into the program that works around the "snooze" feature.

The UD guy seems to think this is not possible

'Slo
Old 01-November-2001, 12:58

yes, I see what your saying, it is possible to delete the 'unit' (if UD is shut down) but I don't know which files it is in particular you would need 2 delete. Its not much consolation, but the units after do appear to finish more easily

Sil
Old 01-November-2001, 18:35
Screamager

Things got worse today.....power cut!

I lost prolly about 50 hours processing time on my gateway, about 4 hours on my games server, and whatever my main comp had gained after losing 30 from a forced reboot earlier!

Ridiculous.....I am cursed with these same darn units for at least another 50 hours+

At least the games server is knocking out the newer units, but the other two, well god knows when they'll be done

'Slo
Old 01-November-2001, 21:23
Safe Sane Consensual

With only one computer these larger units, until there is a save facility, are out for me.

With all the good will in the world I can't see myself starting UD again. Apart from installation of software there are times when you need to close-down or you suffer a system glitch

For me it is quite stressful seeing 24 hours work destroyed and restarting the molecule again.

BTW am I correct in thinking that the hard drive/s are not suffering significant wear when idling during the night whilst processing UD tasks?
Old 01-November-2001, 21:35
DigitalAlex

I've decided to download the software too today! I just want to ask you, "it is safe for your pc isn't it?" Cos i don't want my hard drive to go simply cos of this program causing extra wear! I'm only 16 and this pc needs to last for a long time still!
Old 01-November-2001, 21:54

it doesnt thrash (or hardly use) the harddrive as far as Im aware

Sil
Old 03-November-2001, 11:39
DigitalAlex

Oh my god how long has IAN been on his pc??!!!! 618 results!!! Guess i got a lot of catching up to do. Also how do we know this is actually not a scam and is actually helping to find a cure?!!
Old 03-November-2001, 13:10

Well its been running on upto 4 pcs, 2 of which are at work so are on 24/7
Old 04-November-2001, 10:23
Screamager

Well, I seem to have fixed my "hang-up" problem with my Win98 system (darn power saving features) and now I have managed to get it up to 100 hours processing the same unit as before.

98% and holding, the same as it was after 37 hours of processing.

The server has advanced 4% in the additional 60 hours since the power cut, putting it on 88% after 100 hours

The games server is still knocking them out ok, so at least it has not been plagued with the dreaded cyclooxygenase units.

'Slo
Old 06-November-2001, 10:58
Screamager

Hmmm, this really is becoming a pain.
My Win98 PC crashed last night (I know why I went to Win2K now), the UD unit it was working on was still on 98% after about 140 hours, I have lost 100 hours of processing time on this pc alone.

This unit is impossible.

How on earth are people expected to complete a unit that takes over 100 hours to increase by 1% ?

If I could swap the unit to a different PC then maybe it would stand a better chance of completing, but at the moment I am struggling to say the least.

I will try again, but now I know that it is going to take at least 4 days to get close to the 1% increase I need to get to 99%

'Slo
Old 06-November-2001, 11:20

there is a way to transfer units between PCs, see the earlier links about how to run units on PCs that don't have a 'net connection

Hae a similar unit, is v slow, just hope the PC doesnt crash..

Sil
Old 06-November-2001, 13:01
Screamager

I'm giving it one more try, it seems that members of the UD forum think that completing a difficult unit is important, because it saves that unit coming round again I suppose.
I am on 98% and it would be a shame to throw away what I have done so far.
I think I have stabilised my Win98 PC a bit more now, so hopefully I can manage to keep it running for longer than 4 days without it crashing, thus possibly/hopefully completeing the unit.
If that fails then I will attempt to swap work units between my Win98 comp and Win2K server. Win2K being more stable and thus more likely to complete the darn thing.

'Slo
Old 06-November-2001, 13:07
Screamager

Actually, I just managed to swap the work unit with my Win2K server.....hopefully now it stands more chance of completing.

'Slo
Old 06-November-2001, 14:44
Safe Sane Consensual

Is there any hope for us lesser mortals
Old 06-November-2001, 18:04
Screamager

Apparently you can delete the current unit if it is taking too long by doing a CTRL+ALT+DEL and stopping the current UDXXXXXX task that is running. UD is supposed to discard the current unit and then download a new one. The chance of you getting another long molecule still remains the same though.

'Slo
Old 06-November-2001, 21:05
DigitalAlex

I don't understand why the program don#t just auto save every 5 mins. It would save me so much time cos Windows Me love's to crash for me!
Old 07-November-2001, 07:47
Screamager

Apparently there will be a new version of the agent released soon that has a better save facility, thus allowing for better 'large molecule' support.

BTW, does anyone else have regular (like all the time) problems accesing certain areas of the UD site? I can never seem to get the login page.

'Slo

Edit : S'okay I fixed it, it helps if you don't block all connections to port 443

Last edited by Onslo; 07-November-2001 at 07:56.
Old 07-November-2001, 17:11
tambranstew

I noticed that regularly the UD website has problems with logging in.

I have also noticed that it also has problems with the transfer of data back to the server.

Could be too many people trying to send data back or access their accounts at the same time.

Stew
Old 08-November-2001, 02:06

Yep, UD site and their UD servers are down occasionally, but normally come back within a few hours

'slo - how does one go abt transferring a work unit (paritally completed) between 2 PCs. I have a 'stubborn unit' that might need this treatment

thanks

Sil
Old 08-November-2001, 11:52
Screamager

I just swapped the entire UD dir from one to another (after stopping both agents).
Obviously this swaps everything, including the device names, but you can change that back again on the website. The device details/score also gets swapped, but it ammends itself as soon as the unit has finished.
Just double check all your prefs for that agent (proxy settings etc) and change the device names on the website after swapping dirs

Worked for me, but some people have said that it might make you re-register after the unit has finished. It didn't make me, but who knows.

If you can find out the exact files that need swapping, then we could all trade with each other

'Slo
Old 10-November-2001, 11:54

ok, looks like it should be quite straight forward to swap a few files between PCs to get the units swapped

w/o trying it I'm not going to list the files, suffice to say that if the 'stubborn unit' on this PC needs restarting from 98% again I will attempt to swap it

Started a new thread in the s/w forum

united devices agent - swapping work units

Sil
Old 14-November-2001, 15:52
Screamager

Well my stubborn unit is still running, albeit on a much ore stable system....I think this is a TS record....and will continue to be as it carries on

If you remember it was on 98% after 37 hours....

Currently it is on 98% (still) after 232 hours

'Slo
Old 15-November-2001, 13:02

Good luck getting it finished - mine completed in the end, using abt 100 hrs to move by 1%

--

from stats
we've reached another 'milestone'

3 Years Of CPU Time!!

Sil
Old 20-November-2001, 14:15
Screamager

My unit completed!!!!!!!

Only took 375 hours in the end

Earned me about 4500 points though

'Slo

Tags
adsl, bad, company, computer, connection, delay, email, feature, files, forward, home, intel, internet, line, lost, make, modem, music, oap, opinion, phone, screen, settings, slow, software, speeding, speeds, web, windows, zero, zone