Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Web Shopping

Old 04-August-2008, 19:33
Screamager

Default Ebay - Paypal - Be Careful When Selling

I'm trying to sell a 40gb 3rd generation Ipod on Ebay. I today received a "buy it now" notice from somebody saying they wanted me to send it to a German address. A few minutes later I got a PayPal instant payment notification for the item amount plus an additional 40 to cover international shipping.

I then received an email from the buyer with a convoluted story about her Fiance going to Africa and can I ship it to Nigeria as it's his 40th birthday present. Cue the alarm bells.

I then read the Paypal instant payment notification. It said the payment had left the buyers paypal account but wouldnt be credited to mine until I submitted a shipping tracking number. More alarm bells, but, being the person who gives everybody the benefit of the doubt, I was mindful of another auction site (EBID) that offers an escrow service just like this to protect the buyer from unscrupulous sellers. So I phoned Paypal - and yes it was spoof and I would be surprised by the amount of people who actually send the goods before checking...

Be warned...!

Seems like a well organised scam. The Paypal email was sent to the email address that is registered with Paypal. How could they get my private email address that is used by Paypal from the item I was selling on Ebay (Paypal and Ebay email addresses are different)?
Old 02-July-2009, 19:32
Shopping Guru

Default Re: Ebay - Paypal - Be Careful When Selling

Ouch! Cheers for the heads up
Old 02-July-2009, 22:45
canta

I advertised a Canon 1D-S (think expensive) on Ebay and received an email from another member who warned me that my listing, complete with photographs, had been used by another Ebay member - basically, someone else was listing my camera, using a copy-and-pasted version of my listing! He had wonderful feedback from previous sales and looked genuine. I emailed Ebay and he was 'removed' - banned, I assume. Obviously, another scam to watch out for!
Old 17-February-2010, 11:55
TopStuff

I've sold things on ebay before and received the winning bid from someone who looks like they're in the UK, then receive an email from them saying that they've paid, but can I post the item out to Nigeria. Usually these are hijacked accounts, or ones with very low feedback (i.e. new accounts) and it's always when I try and sell a mobile phone or other electronic item.

These take a while to resolve as you have to contact ebay, or wait for a week and open an unpaid item dispute and so they can reverse everything before you get your listing fee credited. Then you can re-list the item. There's an option that I use now which only list to UK based buyers when I sell these type of items. I know it could restrict how much I get for the item, but most of the time I'm not messed around.

If you look in the ebay forums you'll find lots of info on the subject.

Cheers.

Last edited by Memfis; 17-February-2010 at 14:19. Reason: removed spam
Old 30-March-2010, 20:56
Zage

Those scammers are also plaguing classified directory sites like Gumtree - I remember listing a Nokia N97 mini phone and all the fraudsters followed a similar pattern - first they ask if the item is still for sale and how much? which seemed odd because all the pricing details are listed on the page, then the next reply from them would be some sob story of how they are abroad and sending it as a gift and willing to pay extra shipping etc to get it out to Nigeria.

If you have time to kill and want to waste their time, you can email them back, but not from your own personal email - they spam so many addresses they wont know the difference if you use a new temporary fake email and pretend you are ready to send them everything if they pay the extra shipping - string them along and get their hopes up. If they give you an address and you are feeling cheeky, you could mail them some junk like a bunch of stones and bricks and declare it to customs as some type of expensive technology or equipment and mark it as 'receiver pays custom charges', and they may end up paying the custom charges for a bunch of crap.
Old 14-May-2010, 12:39
Jon Garcia

We have to take care for selling or buying any thing from new places. Also we have to clear about extra charges of the things.
Old 24-September-2010, 12:03
Nikki1201

OMG this exact same thing happened, be careful with ipods ....
Old 17-March-2011, 15:55
Susannah

Thanks for information! I will keep in mind
Old 15-April-2011, 09:52
chris04

thank you for your remind. i will remember it~

Tags
abroad, birthday, email, fake, hijacked, international, ipod, mobile, nokia, phone, scam