Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tiscali

Old 13-July-2001, 16:42
Tomthumb

Thumbs up I'm Going To Court With Worldonline: PLEASE READ!

Worldonline Need To Learn A Lesson! Please Read!

After reading many points about Worldonline and how they treat their customers, myself including, I have decided to not just take the easy way and bow down to their threats of County Court. I too have suffered from their appalling billing system and their famous 5.00 admin fees. I have contacted them numerous times and have received various amounts for my final bill. Or should I say, Final, Final, Final, Final bill? As the last straw, I demanded that before I go any further, I wanted the name of either their Vice President or Managing Director. Someone at the top needed to know how their company was being run. Instead of a reply to this, I got a letter from the Debt Collectors. I put my points to them too, then I received a second letter from them. I know that it is not I who have acted irresponsibly and yet they make you look like the bad person.
I have decided that it will go to court! Its not pride, its just doing what is right.
I'm writing this to let you all know that if you could support me with signatures, documents or personal complaint letters, I would be most grateful. I will make sure that the court knows what is happening with this company. Now is your time to put evidence where your mouth is and help everybody. I don't look forward to doing this, but believe me, I'm going to do it. I've already sent "Watchdog" and "Computer Active" a detailed file on my communication with this company and I have also contacted HM Customs about their inadequate invoicing. I warned Worldonline I would do this but they obviously ignored me.
I live in Rotherham, South Yorkshire and will let you know when my court date is. Your presence will be welcomed.
You may email me on emaileddie@cwcom.net to express your views etc.
Your support will be greatly appreciated.
Old 13-July-2001, 16:51
Screamager

Good for you

I too have been considering this, depending on the outcome of whether or not they can prove that I owe them 5.86...so far they cannot, but they persist with the debt collection letters and threats of court action. So be it!

'Slo
Old 13-July-2001, 16:53
Safe Sane Consensual

Congratulations Eddie.

Please feel free to use any of the postings and copy letters I have made on this matter to "The Scream".

I'll be pleased to forward my name and address to you if you find there is useful evidence to support your case.

Wishing you a successful conclusion to your prosecution.

Regards

Vic
Old 13-July-2001, 17:08
Tomthumb

Yes please Vic! Send me anything you have....I don't know how this will turn out but WOW! I can't believe the response I'm getting after only 15 minutes.
I think I'll log everybody who sends me an email, then contact them all when I need their documentation. Obviously I will have to return the stuff after so I will need your address. (This really looks like the can of worms is opening)...I'm getting inundated!!!
But it has to be done hasn't it?
Old 13-July-2001, 22:52
fotze

Thumbs up

Hi Eddie, i hope you get the help you need, if i can i will

POWER TO THE PEOPLE

Max
Old 13-July-2001, 22:56
suzqwatch

I am also taking them to court, got the Claim form today. It will cost me 27.00 to claim back the following

3.37 refund for line rental
5.00 admin charge I am charging them
1.92 for cheque I paid them

I owed them 5.00 admin charge - refund + VAT for money they over charged me.

Total cost 10.29 + 27 court costs maybe more cost also.

They cashed my cheque 10 days ago, paid 1.92 in protest and wrote that on the cheque. I no it ain't much money but the way they have treated me in the past is appalling.

GO TO HELL WOL, *U*K U I WOULD LOVE TO CHOVE MY PHONE UP YOUR *R*E.
Old 14-July-2001, 00:06
JetSilver

Default Court Action

I cant believe you lot are prepared to take WOL to court for these measly sums mentioned.Have you all forgotten how much money you saved when you were getting free off peak access ??
I saved 100s of pounds as you probably did too.And now your gonna go to court for a measly fiver !
Old 14-July-2001, 00:12
Screamager

Not at all, the money isn't the issue here. It's the innappropriate methods they have adopted to extract the sums mentioned. Why should I just cough up the 5.86 whne there is no proof that I actually owe it? However, if I don't pay it, they will take me to court.......what do you suggest?

'Slo
Old 14-July-2001, 00:20
Tomthumb

Lets say Worldonline had one million customers (just a ball park figure). Now lets say they sent these admin fees to every one of them. Not bad for making a mistake is it...5,000,000!!!!!
Now do you see our point....or do we just roll over?
Old 14-July-2001, 00:40
JetSilver

Default court

Dont give me xxx customers and it all adds up line.Pay up and dont be so greedy.How much do you 2 estimate you saved in phone charges while you were getting free access ?? A hell of a lot more then than the measly sums your going to court for i think.
I quit WOL on 21st they billed me for the full month ,so what ,is it worth the hassle involved in going to court.
If you were talking hundreds of pounds then sure take them to court but for this small amount i dont think so.
Old 14-July-2001, 00:40
suzqwatch

I agree totally with you two guys. Jetsilver you are wrong it isn't the money it`s the issue here. If none of use did anything and stand to what we believe in than you may as well let the world go to pot. You should admire people like myself that are prepared to fight for it.

After all if we did not stand up and fight do you think many years ago we would have unions, you and I would probably be working at a very young age.

I owuld love to say "oh what the hell let them *astards get away with it"; I am indeed for it, but I have to make a fight and this is the time to do it. I am already got a huge fight on as it is with my employer I am already planning to sue them, and believe me I do not have the money to do it.
But I wont back down oh no tat aint my style I go down without a fight.
Old 14-July-2001, 01:16
JetSilver

Default court

If this were BT we were talking about i would agree with you suzqwatch.But WOL are not in the same league as BT.
You guys obviously view this differently from me .
I see it like this :
I saved around 500 in phone charges in the 18 months i was with WOL.Now when i leave they charge a few quid extra on my bill.Seems like we got the better deal out of this dont it ?
Old 14-July-2001, 10:10
fotze

Thumbs down

Jetsilver, i feel you are very selfish in your approach to this matter. Just cos you saved a few quid, that makes it ok for them to rip everybody else off, me included. ( did i mention that they cut me off on christmas day for no reason)

Take a look at all the negative mail for W.O.L and that tells you how good they are.

Max
Old 14-July-2001, 10:30

I agree, its the principle that counts, tiscali / wol / localtel billing record has been uselss to pathetic for far too long, it can' be that hard to bill people correctly, they cant even blame billing data for these types of errors.

If more people make a stand then perhaps it'll make life easier for others who tiscali will try an pull the same tricks on? I don't like the idea of turning a blind eye really, even if you don't personally mind paying them money, that you don't owe fair enough, but not everyone can afford or perhaps wishes to pay charges that are 'fabricated'.

good luck to those making a stand

Sil

PS I dont see it as selfish, not everyone has time to go through the courts.
Old 14-July-2001, 13:09
suzqwatch

Jetsilver it isn't about if WOL are in the same league as BT its about principle. yes I agree with you regarding the benefits I have gained with Localtel/WOL I must of saved at least 500.

Its not about money, as I have very little to gain, and hell I can't afford huge costs nor grief either, but there comes a time when you have to fight in what you believe in.

If anything I just want to know that in 6 montsh time I will not still be billed for calls I made when I left on 16th Feb 2001. I feel now that it is July it is unreasonable to be billed 6 montsh down the line. I also want WOL assurance that I will not be billed any longer.

I ask myself why have WOL not at least answered my question in my letter I sent them on 28th JUne 2001.

Some customer who left last year are still be billed now I try to be a reasonable person and have never said I would not pay for calls that I did make, but to be billed as long as that, i think it is wrong.

If says its BT fault then thats there problem not mine or others for that matter, WOL are keen to flex there muscles when it suits then why can BT customers get there bills on time when others do not. WOL ought to of flex there muscles on BT to get the data more efficently. Anyhow I don't always think it is BT fault as the billing is nearly always wrong, its there incomptent billing system.

It is well documented that WOL is a very poor company and I would not advise anyone to sign up with them.

I long for the day Tiscali go bust, but as always others will suffer, like the customers and staff.

One of the big problems of this country is not enough people complain like they do in others, perhaps if we all did something would change.

I resent being billed for money I am actually owed, now is that right or wrong, you tell me?
Old 14-July-2001, 14:26
suzqwatch

The Small Claims Courts is designed to be a cheap and informal court for the likes common person.

It doesnt cost a lot of money, maybe WOL will not contest my claim after all it is not a lot of money and if they have a lawyer that will have all cost them lots of money. I know how much lawyers cost as I recently discovered the cheapest being 100 the expensive being 150 per hour, yeah I know and I dont plan on having a lawyer.

But unless it going to cost me a arm and a leg I will pursue this. I have been told in my case from Trading Standards that they are wrong what WOL have done to me. So I will endever to pursue this.

I don not take likely to being theatened in tha past because of a mistake thay WOL made and not I.

I think any reasonable person would think it unreasonable for WOL not to at least answer my question, I have done all I can to resolve this without taken this matter on, I gave them 14 days and that was 17 days ago, they gave me recently 5 days to pay or else, now am I dealing with reasonable company.

I think not, you cant ever get through t them, they don't answer the phone, tel numbers that excisted do not now, emails unanswered, letter too.

Well I am sick of this company and the sooner I get them off my back the better
Old 14-July-2001, 14:59
Tomthumb

Its not just about the 5.00 admin charge. It's about not being able to be taken off their records when you agree that you are leaving. Its about getting a final bill for 74.00 then having a voice on the other end of the phone (Chris Whippe) verify that the amount is actually only 50.00+.
Its about asking for that in writing and Mr. Whippe saying "Of course, that'll be no problem." It never came. Instead you get a bill weeks later for 170.00+
Its about cancelling your direct debit because you can't trust the amount or dates that money will be taken from your account. You then explain what you've done and they ignore you.
Its about getting ever increasing bills with the 5.00 charge afterwards as if you have in no way tried to communicate with them.
Its about demanding the name of their Vice President or MD so that you can tell them how you have been treated and in return getting a demand from a debt collection agency.
Its also about your best mate being cut off on Christmas Day when his wife was waiting for a call from her father who lives in Australia.

Its about the stress and worry it causes people (what about the elderly: the ones who quake in their shoes when they get a demand letter).

Now, for people such as Jetsilver, I suggest you read ALL the posts before trying to form an opinion. If after doing so, you still feel that WOL is a commendable company, then create a new thread of your own and you can merrily chat all day with others who share your enthusiasm.

As for myself, I do not have the time or inclination to "live" on this forum. I set out to do a task and I've asked for other peoples help in order to bring this company to light. So, shall we get down to business or not?
Old 14-July-2001, 15:24
Screamager

Someone said they are going to court and part of their claim will be an admin charge to WOL. I don't know if it's reasonable, it may well not be in the eyes of the court and you may win anyway, but it's as well to be aware that WOL will cite para 9.5 of the terms and conditions which purportedly precludes us from invoicing them.

Good luck and hope you win.

Ann
Old 14-July-2001, 15:51
Safe Sane Consensual

I can think of no reason why on ending a contract (in this case the contract was effectually terminated by WOL giving notice of cessation of it's telco service) a business should not be in a position to provide an accurate final account within a reasonable period.

I can think of no other utility that would, after undue delay in providing a final account, send an account for a small sum of money for collection by an agency and then add administrative charges for doing so.

Maybe there are difficulties between WOL and BT on the billing side.... that should be a contract matter for them to resolve. Maybe they are using us as pawns in an action to highlight accounting problems between the telephone companies.

I don't think one need fear Court action on these threats but I am not so sure about whether attempts will be made to put 'offenders' on some kind of credit blacklist.

OFTEL seems a watchdog without teeth on these matters.
Old 14-July-2001, 16:12
Safe Sane Consensual

Lightbulb PS

I've opened this discussion out in another thread to look at how other utilities treat their customers in the case of alleged debts against closed accounts. Might be useful to have some comparisons.

Credit card companies - termination of contracts
Old 14-July-2001, 16:14
JetSilver

Tomthumb you may want to read my posts again as i stated if the money was in the 100s of pounds then sure go ahead take them to court.We only found out in your last post that they have increased your bill 100 % and the sum is the 100s.
But if the amount is only a fiver or so save yourself time,money and stress and pay up.

suzqwatch if you want to try then go ahead but you will be as bothersome to WOL as a flea on an elephants ass.You say you want to end all contact with WOL then pay up the fiver and dont be so greedy.You saved yourself 500 and now you moan cos they want a measly 5 quid back.And dont give me this principle crap theres a time and a place for that and aint with WOL, a very poor company , i know i was with them for 18 months .BTW if they were so bad why didnt u leave earlier.
Old 14-July-2001, 16:24
Safe Sane Consensual

One part of me agrees principles are at stake here and Tom Thumb has my total support. At the end of the day we all oppose unfair and bullying tactics.

Faced with instigating Court action for a modest amount I'm not certain right now that I would not adopt JetSilver's pragmatic approach....

Win some... lose some.

On the other had if we were a dynamic consumer group and seeking publicity and castigating Trading Standards, Oftel and lobbying Members of Parliament and publicising our feelings my stance might change.

Something from a distant pink past "United we stand - Divided we fall"
Old 14-July-2001, 17:56
fotze

Angry

Jetsilver, you again seem to think that cos you and a few others saved 500 (wow) then it's ok for some rich fat cat company to rip people off to the tune of Millions, yes millions of pounds (5 each overcharge x millions of customers = major rip off).

You seem to only look at the small picture (I.E. yourself), and what a sad world we live in when people like you will not help the unfortunate, instead you knock them. This is exactly how the big corparate companies win every time.

How many times would you be over charged 5, before you decided to act against it

As has been said this thread needs to keep on the subject in hand and not diversify, as this weakens the argument

Fotze
Old 14-July-2001, 19:01
JetSilver

Fotze its a hell of lot more than a few who have saved 500 + .Everyone saved money.Its only a few that are being charged 5 or whatever.And where do you get the millions from ? WOL only ever had about 120000 customers and your guessing they are all being charged a fiver.Even if 1/2 are being charged 5 it only amounts to 300000.Now multiply 500 x 120000 and see how much everyone saved.And who the hell are the unfortunate around here ? You want to get your facts straight b4 u jump in feet first.
Old 14-July-2001, 19:15
suzqwatch

Jetsilver WOL actualy owe me money not the other way around. They overcharged me last month as it seems they do with many people and refund the following month. They owed me if I can recall correctly 3.37 but I ended up owing them money or so they claim because of a admnin charge of 5 which now translates to I owed them 1.92 which I may add I paid by cheque.

Now forgive me if I am on a differnet planet, but does that sound right to me, me owing money for money I am owed, No I think not.

As I already said before and Thomthumb to name a few havesaid it about having a final bill and not being billed 6 months or even later for that matter, I have never said at any time I would never pay for calls I have made but if there billing system which is clearly not working why should I and others pay for there mistakes.

The real answer is that Localtel/WOL have been a useless company from start to I hope soon to finish. A company that is run by baboons are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

I will not be billed 6 months or 12 months after I left a company 5 months ago, All I really want is WOL assurance that this will be the case, now I like to think I am a reasonable person I ask you jetsilver do you think that, that is a reasonable request. It is and never will be a case of money as I clearly have showed this and I am sure others feel the same.

WOL have no morals at all they like to flex there muscles and intimidate people and I do not take likely to be threatened with debts collectors when it was they who made a mistake in the first place.

The reason I probably got billed is I cancelled my direct debt and the reason over many months I have been repeatly incorrectly billed in there favour, and after 4 monsth of leaving them and having incorect bills, I made the assumption based on experience with thsi company that I have lossed faith in there billing and I would rather I owe them money and pay them than the other way around.

I hope if it goes to court that I can show that I am a reasonable person and have paid bills when it has also been in the favour.

Now as far as I am concerned you have formed your opions rightly or wrongly, now I respect yours views I hope you respect mine.
Old 14-July-2001, 19:18
fotze

Jetsilver
i refuse to get into a slanging match with some Arse who says whatever figures come into his head,( You're not the promotions officer for World Online are you ?). Please supply facts and documentation to prove your statement, You are participating in the wrong forum, and are the weakest link... Good Bye
Old 14-July-2001, 19:51
Tomthumb

To Fotze, SuzQ and the others who really matter. Jetsilver will soon get very tired (and lonely) if we all simply ignore any of his postings. I've met people like this before...they just want to argue for the sake of sounding important. In reality, he isn't going to help any of the genuine complainers is he so he won't be missed. Make a stand...hard as it might be to not retalliate...he's just lost his integrity.

(I write this while checking to see if his name is indeed included on Worldonline's Letterhead)
Old 14-July-2001, 20:22
JetSilver

Talking

Oh dear two words come to mind...... Rattle & Pram
And Fotze it was you that started talking in millions you ****.

Last edited by Onslo; 15-July-2001 at 07:18.
Old 14-July-2001, 22:51
;o)

Cool

JetSilver

You owe me a fiver

Pay up or take me to court
Old 15-July-2001, 07:17
Tony_Keith

Default Court

There are various inaccurracies here in terms of costs of pursuing a claim against a company, or defending a claim that a company has against an individual and/or an organisation.
Initially I would strongly suggest that you do pursue your course of action with regards to the dispute you have between yourself and Worldonline if you not only believe you have a case, but can prove it. That is exactly what the court system is for to decide who, on the balance of evidence, is right!!.
There was a comment from somebody about them having expensive lawyers etc - that is something that courts are also aware of, and do take into consideration that companies do use 'muscle' to intimidate people, (not that I am saying that this is the case in this instance).
With regards to the point of you not being able to invoice a company because it is in their 'Terms and Conditions' - that is a complete irrelevance because you can legally make a counter claim for any costs involved in pursuing and/or defending an action. You just detail these and present them to the court, after completing the appropiate forms, with the times, paperwork, and evidence to support them, (you can include time spent as well with a 'cost per hour').
Somebody else was harping on about it is only a pittance in effect, considering the savings. Yet again complete and utter tosh. Where do you draw the line??. If your statements are acurate, and any company has charged monies over and above what you believe they should, and in effect are being unreasonable in their demands, and/or trying to extract monies to which they are not entitled - this is an abuse of law. Should anybody feel that law should be abused purely on the amount involved, that merely would result in the 'rich' being able to disadvantage the rest of us - yet again 'law' has been formed over a considerable period to prevent this. Perhaps it should go backwards then??
Anyway, and this is just my view based on life in general and not pursuant to any particular instance here:- never let anyone walk all over you just because they seem to be bigger and stronger. A lot of the time appearances can be deceptive. For example a company could look massive, but in effect have liabilities exceeding their assets - whereas an individual with one pence in their pocket and no liabilities is far stronger in financial terms??.

Last edited by Tony_Keith; 15-July-2001 at 07:19.

Tags
abuse, bad, bailiffs, bbc, blacklist, bt, christmas, collection, company, computer, connection, credit, delay, email, failure, forward, free, internet, isp, line, lost, mail, make, online, opinion, phone, police, screen, share, sound, tiscali