Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Hardware

Old 30-March-2007, 19:12
chrome307

Default 2 Wireless Routers and a XBox Console

Hi there

I was wondering if it is possible to connect my 2600G router to my Xbox console (wired) and then have it also connect to my wireless BT Router ??

Both devices have the same IP Range (by default)

Any help would be appreciated
Old 31-March-2007, 10:53
Austin_KW

Default Re: 2 Wireless Routers and a XBox Console

If it is a router then it is easy to connect, just connect the wan uplink port to one of the input ports on the bt router. You might want to forward some ports or add the second router to the DMZ in the first. You probably want to change one of the router addresses to something like 192.168.2.1 to avoid confusion.

If it is an ADLS router it is a bit more complex because there is no uplink WAN port only an uplink DSL port.
You may be able to use it as a switch/bridge by changing its IP address to a different subnet and disabling dhcp. Then connect one of its ports to the X box and one to the BT router. Sometimes this works but with some routers you need to telnet in & tweak some other stuff.
Also if it is a wireless router then you may be able also use WDS (as a wireless bridge) to bridge the 2 routers. Again you would probably want to change its IP to something like 192.168.2.1 and disable dhcp so that the Xbox address was assigned from the BT router. WDS was not in the original standard so different vendors dont always work together, and the X box would have an effective bandwidth of half the 54Mbs and would compete for access with all your other wireless devices.
Old 06-April-2007, 13:45
chrome307

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have checked the firmware of my router and luckily for me it does have the WDS option available to me in the configuration tables.

So my understading of this would be:

Allow the BT Voyager router (DHCP) to send my Vigor2600G an IP address (Static).

As regard to the speed of connection, I only need it to stream video/audio if possible.

I'm annoyed with Draytek as the support has not been forthcoming and just directed to a Premium rate number.

The router and PCMCI card cost me £150 several years ago and to be honest I wished I gone with a cheapo brand.
Old 06-April-2007, 19:32
Austin_KW

The 2600G will have 2 IP address, one for the LAN (local) side and one for the WAN (internet) side. You will not be using the WAN side of the router so you are only concerned with the LAN side.
The 2600G LAN side is currently 192.168.1.1 and this is no good, as there will be 2 devices with this address once the WDS bridge is connected.
The simplest thing would be to change it to something like 192.168.1.100 then you know what it always is. There may be an option to enable dhcp on this interface in which case it would be automatically assigned an address once the WDS brigde is active but if there are problems you will not be able to reconfigure (it will not have an address).
In either case first disable the dhcp server on the 2600G, so that all addresses will be assigned by the BT router.

When you enable WDS you probably need to tell each router the wireless MAC of the other router (so that they can create the bridge). Usually SSID and WEP key need to be the same and most vendors do not support WPA encryption.

Oh one caveat, beware my advice today; I am not having a good day as I have managed to brick one of my routers.
Old 10-April-2007, 18:34
chrome307

LOL thanks for the clarification.

I have followed out the various steps you outlined (seemed straightforward + logical), but used the IP Range 1992.168.1.2.

The other information was added and then save and rebooted .... unfortunately it did not allow me to access the interface.

On my BTVoyager2500V, I did added the Wireless LAN MAC address as an authorised device to connect.

If I show you my display dialog boxes, could you offer some suggestions ??

BTW As for 'bricking' this router ........ I'd rather do this than pass this router onto anyone else ... as a DSL device I've experienced nothing but problems with this and if I could just use it as a 'Switch' that would be better than nothing.
Old 10-April-2007, 23:43
Austin_KW

So you set the 2600G to 1992.168.1.2? Not to worry, unless like my router you put some experimental software on it you should be able to recover.
Had you already disabled the dhcp server on the 2600G (if not you may be able to tell what its IP is).

It could be at 200.168.1.2 (1992 truncated to 8 bits is 200) or failing that ther is usually a hardware reset to factory defaults by holding the reset button for 10-30 seconds while powering up (but check your manual)
Old 20-April-2007, 12:27
chrome307

Sorry for the delaying in getting back to you .... Easter Hols (extended LOL).

I've reset my router to the factory settings and here are some configuration pages

Old 20-April-2007, 13:43
Austin_KW

Was there a question there

look at http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_wlan_wds.html for a description of the different wds modes

You probably want to change the ip, disable dhcp, and use wds in bridging mode.

You may want to disable encryption when setting this up. Reenable when you het it working, some vendors only support WEP when using WDS. But use WPA-PSK if both routers support it.
Old 20-April-2007, 20:31
chrome307

Hiya

After having looked at the different types of WAN networks, 'Bridging' seems to the appropriate connection in my case.

As my BT Router is acting as the DHCP server on the network:

Can I not leave the IP of the router as

192.168.1.10 (currently unused)

Also in the 'Bridge' mode I did use the MAC address of my console but no joy.

I'm stuck with WEP for both I'm afraid.
Old 20-April-2007, 21:09
Austin_KW

Yes 192.168.1.10 is fine for the address,

You need to use the MAC address of your wireless Peer i.e.
In you 2600 G enter the AP (wireless) mac address of the BT hub
In you BT hub enter the AP MAC address for the 2600G
Old 21-April-2007, 09:52
chrome307

Hiya

I will try out your suggestions later on today ............. it's the weekend and shopping etc need to be done before I can play

All done

================================================== ========

This is how far I have gotten ...... stuck somewhere (nearly there though!) , not too sure where ???

Last edited by chrome307; 21-April-2007 at 14:31.
Old 22-April-2007, 19:52
Austin_KW

What are you using on the PC to connect to the network. Do you see two networks, have you chosen a default.

Some wireless network managers (inc. windows IZC) will attempt to connect to any network that you have previously been connected to.

Did the bridging work, Could your PC access the internet? I notice that the draytek still has its IP at 192.168.1.1 and presumably dhcp enabled.
Old 24-April-2007, 13:13
chrome307

From the 1st picture you will see I have a PC and a laptop connected wirelessly to my BT Router (the xbox is wired to the router as well).

What I have done is connected the 2nd router (Draytek) to the xbox and also added my laptop to this to configure it (the wireless card has been disabled) via a wired connection.

Sorry the Dos Box was from my PC, it was added to show you that my Draytek router identified the wireless card installed in the PC, but did not pick up the MAC address of my BT Router.

I have added the MAC address details to my BT Router and the Draytek router in their respective configuration pages to allow each other to identify themselves.

I do hope that clarifies the situation?

Screenshots:

1. The Draytek's Wireless MAC address (shown) has been copied and added to my BT router

2. These are the correct SSID and channels for my BT Router

3. Added my BT Router's MAC address + WEP Key (cannot leave this open as the BT Router will not allow this)

4. After scanning the Draytek router finds my PC's Wireless Card

5. Just to show you that the MAC address belongs to my PC not the BT Router

================================================== =====

In answer to your questions (partial)

My xbox's IP is now 192.168.1.10

and alas it has no Internet connectivity or recognised by any other hardware device ie PC/Router wirelessly.

It's only seen by the wired connection by the laptop and the Draytek router.

Last edited by chrome307; 24-April-2007 at 13:24.
Old 24-April-2007, 14:10
Austin_KW

The draytech router does not scan to find your PC. Your PC scanned and associated (connected) with the draytech.
But I see your point, in (what they call) bridge mode I did not expect it to allow any wireless clients to connect.
But now, looking again I see that there is an optional setting to explicitly disable the access point functions in the draytech. Try this.
Also below that there is a check box to check the link to the bridge peers, What is the status after checking this?

The draytech seems to still have its IP address set to 192.168.1.1, you must not have the same address twice on your network. I am assuming that if you have not changed this then you have not disabled dhcp on it either. You do not want to be running 2 dhcp servers on one subnet.

It is possible that the BT MAC address will not appear in the station list even when bridging works. It depends on how they implement the bridging.

Also be aware, it is possible that it will never work. Because WDS was not in the original 802.11 standard, different manufacturers may not work together. What you are trying to do is a simpler subset of the WDS functionality so I would expect it to work but ...

Tags
audio, bt, connection, delay, dhcp, firmware, forward, internet, key, laptop, network, offer, port, premium rate, premium rate number, router, settings, shopping, software, speed, voyager, windows, wireless, xbox