Old 06-August-2006, 20:33
nickste5

Default quick question

This is just a quick question I wanted to ask. A friend of the family has got a Belkin wireless router set up, although she's got the setup quite differantly than any one i know. She got connected to NTL's 30 quid for 3 deal and wanted to surf the net. She's got the router connected to her modem but not to her computer. She said that she can't have the pc connected in the same room because of her daughter.

So she has the pc in another room and connected to that is a belkin usb adapter. She says that the adapter picks up the router's signal and connects.

Because of this, im imagining that her "network" might be stolen when she doesnt surf the net or even when she does. As there is no way to setup the security feature. Does the security feature work only when connected to the pc? Can she hook up the router to the pc(by moving pc temp), setup security and unhook router. Will this work?
Old 07-August-2006, 13:07
Zer02004

Default Re: quick question

The security applies to the wireless network so therefore, it should be able to be set up without hard wiring anything. Unfortunately, in some cases, this doesn't hold true. The problem is that as soon as encryption is set, any wirelessly connected device loses connectivity so the router setup cannot be saved.
It's basically a case of "suck it and see" but in most cases, it should work.

By the way, it would probably be easier to move the router to the PC. The router shouldn't need a DSL connection to be set up for wireless.
Old 07-August-2006, 15:52
Optimistic Curmudgeon

The security applies to the wireless network so therefore, it should be able to be set up without hard wiring anything. Unfortunately, in some cases, this doesn't hold true. The problem is that as soon as encryption is set, any wirelessly connected device loses connectivity so the router setup cannot be saved.
It's basically a case of "suck it and see" but in most cases, it should work.

By the way, it would probably be easier to move the router to the PC. The router shouldn't need a DSL connection to be set up for wireless.
Originally Posted by Zer02004 View Post

Can't say I agree with this at all, which is very unusual.

I use a wireless router/ modem but have also used separates previously. I didn't have trouble saving any wireless security settings on either the router or the PC/Laptop.
I can see why the 'friend' has got things connected the way described, since the NTL modem will be wired into the lounge or wherever, and the wireless router needs connecting to it to function.
The Belkin setup instructions should have details of wireless encryption and how to save the settings...go for the WPA option if available.
Your friend is correct about possible hacking into her wireless connection if it is permanently connected to a modem which is always on, unless it has been encrypted.

Last edited by centaur; 07-August-2006 at 16:18.
Old 07-August-2006, 16:08
Zer02004

I did say "in some cases". Admittedly, these cases were isolated and probably applied to older units.
Old 07-August-2006, 22:36
nickste5

Okay, thanks for the replys. Zer02004, you said that it's possible to setup the security without hard wiring. May i ask how this is done? Or do you mean through the usb adapter? If so, then i wil suggest for her to do so. As for moving the router; well this can't be done as Centaur has mentioned the router need to be connected to the modem. And of course she cant move the pc for reasons posted previously.

It would have been easier if NTL would have placed the coaxel cable in the same room as the pc, but they refused to do so. She has the modem aswell as the router on constantly and for this reason i am worried that her "network" might be "hacked", so to speak
Old 07-August-2006, 23:11
Zer02004

Yes, use the USB adapter to set up the router wirelessly. As well as setting up strong encryption, change the routers default user/pass combination.
If it should fail, then she has little option but to move the PC or temporarily reconfigure the laptop unless of course a long enough ethernet cable is available.
It's imperative that wireless networks are fully protected. The fact that the user has to request such information suggests that general system security won't be high on the agenda so there's a little more than the average joyriding wardriver to be concerned about.
It's very possible that full LAN access can be easily gained and the machines on that LAN used for all sorts of nefarious purposes.

Tags
belkin, cable, computer, connection, feature, hacked, hacking, laptop, modem, network, router, security, settings, wireless