Go Back   The Scream! > COMPUTER RELATED > Networking

Old 19-September-2008, 13:35
Screamer

Default Netgear Wg111 USB Wireless adapter upgrade ?!!

Hi all,

I have an old Netgear Wg111 USB Wireless adapter that I want to extend the range of ,is it possible that i can use any unlocked firmware for it ?
I mean ppl are unlocking all kinds of routers so I thought that maybe someone has unlocked a Usb adapter !!!
At the moment the adapter is useless as it hardly picks my routers signals.
Old 19-September-2008, 18:33

Default Re: Netgear Wg111 USB Wireless adapter upgrade ?!!

why not try unlocking / hacking the router to increase it's output, or perhaps try another aerial on it to boost the signal strength / directionality

edit, if the PC which uses the adaptor is reasonably fixed then you could try a usb extention cable and move the aerial about?
Old 20-September-2008, 13:35
Screamer

@ silver

cos I wanted to know if its possible to unlock the usb adapter ....
I do use a usb extension cable for the usb adapter but still no luck !!!!
Old 23-September-2008, 14:22
prodigal_angel

Hi Jin799, I'm really sorry to butt into your thread but I can't seem to work out how to start one of my own. I'd really like to know which Netgear USB Wireless adapter you would buy if you were just starting out (like me). I have just installed a Netgear DG834G V3 router when my BT Modem gave up but I currently have my computer sitting in the middle of the floor so the ethernet cable reaches the router. I went into PC World & was offered a selection of around 5 different adapters for wildly differing prices. All I do is surf, shop & e-mail, I don't download music or video or play games or anything. I'd also like to be able to use a laptop outside or upstairs - any ideas which adapter should I get without going totally over the top or ending up with one that I need to upgrade?
Old 23-September-2008, 15:52
Screamer

I would be careful before buying.
From what u wrote maybe a 54Mps would do for you and they are dead cheap now.
But if your going to use it for ur laptop for outside then you are better off with the wireless N range.
I have the 54Mps Netgear Wg111 USB Wireless adapter which works ok but I just wanted to extend the range of it as mentioned in this thread
I also have 2 wireless N adapters !
One is a belkin which works perfect and I can use without a problem !!
The other is the Netgear Rangemax WN111 which I am having a lot of trouble with.
I installed the software for it but its not picking up the router and I have complained about it in netgear support but the process is still ongoing !!!
They have not resolved my problem,they keep telling me to do different things which I have already tried !!

I would recommend the Belkin N1 wireless adapter (50) but u have a netgear router so do not know if it will be compatible.
If you bought the router recently can you not return it ?
Buy a bundle instead (router and USB Wireless adapter )

Last edited by jin799; 23-September-2008 at 15:53. Reason: spelling
Old 25-September-2008, 10:12
prodigal_angel

Hi - thanks for your advice. We have had the Netgear router for a good year, from when hubby decided to upgrade AOL & go wireless... They sent us the router and it sat in its box until I buggered up the BT modem - & in my struggle to get back on-line I fired it up and thought I may as well see the whole wireless thing through. I agree with your concerns about the Netgear Router, I have already had to completely reload it (approx 1 week in) as it swore blind there was no connection after working perfectly for about 4 days. If it's doing that when plugged in then I'm not convinced it will pick up the wireless transmissions either!
I'll take your advice & see if the Belkin N1 will be compatible with the Netgear router - otherwise I may just fix my BT modem and go back to the dark ages! My 3 year old is only gonna end up breaking the ariel off the router anyway...
Thanks again for your help and advice - Cheers!
Old 25-September-2008, 13:46
Screamer

If ur with BT then they should provide you with a replacement hub free of charge no matter what option u have with them.You should phone them up and tell them that your modem is broken and its not even coming on so u have no net so then they should send you a new hub.Try to speak to someone from UK as the ppl from India who try to be helpful are just not that good !!!
My cousin got a replacement hub and she's in option 1

Tags
aol, belkin, bt, cable, computer, connection, dead, dg834g, firmware, free, hacking, hub, laptop, line, lock, mail, modem, music, netgear, phone, router, shop, software, unlock, wireless