Old 16-November-2005, 01:11
Ana

Default Recovery and Norton

I have just one recovery cd where everything is set from os to software. This cd came with Norton 2 months free subscription. I have already renewed that subscription so it will last until July I think. What happens is that that subscription is lost after recovery. Recovering my notebook everything is set to day one so I got 2 months subscription free and then have to renew so I lose few months of already paid subscription. How can I get back my subscription that I had before recovery??
Second q:
Is there any tool I can use to burn cd with all programs I have installed on my notebook. For example Norton Internet Security or Adobe photoshop etc just not to have to use single recovery as it takes me sooo long because it has been upgraded to xp professional from xp home. Now I will have to run original recovery so I don't lose all applications, than upgrade to xp pro ...

Reason to recover it is that I got crashes v often and it is slow.

Thanks for advice on any of these qs!

Cheers!
Old 16-November-2005, 01:53
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Default Re: Recovery and Norton

Does your notebook have a DVD burner installed ? If so you could back everything up onto DVD's including all your software etc
I don't understand the first part of your question. Have you already had to recover your system, or are you asking if you'd lose part of the Norton subscription if you have to ?
Old 16-November-2005, 11:15
canta

Norton. Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It's the biggest thing that crashes computers, slows them up and breaks them - erm, IMHO of course. But I've known a few, too few to mention, and Norton always did it its way! Result was reformatting a lot of the time, but hey, I love reformatting; it's a hobby!
Old 16-November-2005, 15:30
Ana

Thanks for your reply! I will do recovery so how can i prevent not to lose norton subscription or get it back. You see, i have to recover my notebook and norton will be set to day one - free subscription for two months! And what i want is to keep my subscription which I have NOW.

I don't have dvd burner. Is it possible to get it?
Old 16-November-2005, 21:48
Screamager

The file you need to back up before you do a recovery is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveSubscribe\Catalog.LiveSubscribe

and then replace it after you have finished. You may have to replace "All Users" with the current user name in the path.

K9
Old 16-November-2005, 22:54
Ana

Thank you so so so much! I found this on my pc CProgram Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg\Catalog - is that one ok?
And do you or others know how to save applications on dvd and can i just download software for dvd burning from internet 'cos don't have dvd burner?

Last edited by Ana; 16-November-2005 at 23:17.
Old 17-November-2005, 00:56
Optimistic Curmudgeon

Thank you so so so much! I found this on my pc CProgram Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\LiveReg\Catalog - is that one ok?
And do you or others know how to save applications on dvd and can i just download software for dvd burning from internet 'cos don't have dvd burner?
Originally Posted by Ana
You need to check your notebook's hardware to see if you have a cd burner and a DVD burner combined I think. You'll prob find it's just a cd burner, so whatever files you back up may need more than 1 cd to do them
As far as I know, unless your hardware specifically states it IS capable of burning DVD's, I don't think any software is available to enable it to do so.
Old 17-November-2005, 12:47
Screamager

Ana

In the directory I gave the path to I have 2 files, Catalog and Catalog.LiveSubscribe. It would probably be a good idea to back up them both. I'm using XP so yours may be in a slightly different directory - try doing a search for the Catalog.LiveSubscribe file as it is that file which contains your subscription date, in Norton 2002 anyway.

K9

Last edited by K9dws; 17-November-2005 at 20:16.

Tags
files, free, home, internet, lost, security, settings, slow, software