Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > AOL

Old 21-March-2004, 16:21
Tanya_uk

Default aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

Hi,

I am an UK AOL broadband user.

Two days ago, all smtp mail being sent through outlook and outlook express stopped working for all my email accounts (aol, yahoo and freeserve).

Essentially I keep getting this error message using outlook express, sending mail through any number of my email accounts, logged onto aol broadband:

Quote:
Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'imap.uk.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
Prior to my email problems, a trojan managed to infect my windows folder. So I backed up my files, and formatted my hard drive, reinstalled everything.

The thing is, I still keep getting the above message when I try to send, so formatting and reinstalling made no difference.

What really drives me mad, is that if I dial up using a freeserve account, all smtp mail being sent through outlook/outlook express is sent! So it looks like an aol broadband specific issue. This has made me suspect that aol uk maybe blocking smtp port 25???

AOL are not helping me saying they do not support either Outlook/express.

This is doing my head in.

If anyone can check that they are able to receive smtp mail on outlook/outlook express whilst logged onto aol broadband would be great. And if anyone can offer help, that would be much appreciated.

Frustrated,

Tanya
Old 21-March-2004, 20:13
Alnath

Works fine here but i do believe AOL have been maing changes to there email system so bare with it. You can find more details in the AOL networking thread (i dont know why it has been named as such as it isnt a specific networking thread, more a general FAQ) or you can click this http://www-stg.aolsvc.co.uk/help/Out...pressSteps.htm
Old 21-March-2004, 20:26
rruwalton

nice on - I did not know you could use express with aol et al

thanks
Old 23-March-2004, 00:47
clsward

I still get a problem with port 25 and sending via POP/SMTP using outlook (Freeserve), I can receive email OK and IMAP/HTTP accounts such as AOL/Hotmail work fine.

I do not use AOL software at all and have a 1 MB broadband account. I have changed the MTU to 1400 so that I can connect OK and have no problem at all apart from this issue with port 25.

Email to Freeserve or any other POP3 account is returned with a 550 error.

This is no a major issue with me as I'm happy to use my AOL email and can access my freeserve account through web mail but it would be nice to find a solution.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance.... Colin
Old 30-March-2004, 23:15
Bigdazza

I can confirm that I too am in a very similar position to yourselves, in that they I am able to receive email via AOl to Outlook / Express / Incredimaill but I am not able to send email as I get the same error "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'imap.uk.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F" I can also confirm that I am running AOl v9.0 on Broadband. If anyone can shed some light on thsi matter I would be very grateful.
Old 31-March-2004, 03:22
ivaphone

Hi

couple of things to try

Make sure you have "my server requires authentication" selected in outlook express.

Also you could contact your email host and ask them to enable email on annother port
Old 01-April-2004, 11:59
Alnath

Around 90% of my emails sent using OE are not being recieved. At one point they were working fine so i can only presume AOL are cocked up somewhere
Old 01-April-2004, 12:23
Bigdazza

I received the following response from AOL support - "If you receive a call from a member regarding an email issue with Port 25 while using third party software (e.g. Outlook), please advise as follows:
We are redirecting Port 25 email through the AOL network and Spam Assassin software to cut down on the volume of spam coming form Port 25. You should check your machine for viruses in case it is infected and you are inadvertently sending spam email."

So they admit to a problem with Spam but have not yet announced any resolution or timescales as to a fix.

Guess we will have to wait and see
Old 01-April-2004, 12:39
Alnath

It started to go wrong the other week when routers suddenly stopped working for 12 or so hours.

My PC is 100% clean AFAIK.
Old 01-April-2004, 20:42
APPLEMAN

oK WHAT DO WE DO NOW. Just sit and wait ?????
Old 02-April-2004, 10:14
scoty

I am having extalty the same problem with AOL. Frequently I will get the following error message

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'imap.uk.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.uk.aol.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

At other times the mail will be sent successfully, but it does not appear in my imap sent items folder, however it does get delivered, other times it just vanishes completly, ie never delivered or appears in my sent items folder.

This is definately a broadband issue, I set up my imap account from work, and surprise surprise it works as I expect it too. If I send messages they arrive, and also appear in my imap sent items folder.... just like it used to when AOL first introduced it.

I hate AOL, just when you think there may be light at the end of the tunnel, they **** up, and offer no support or help. How can sucha **** company get so big?
Old 02-April-2004, 10:35
Alnath

If everyone batters them with the same fault then they have to sort it out.
Old 02-April-2004, 11:01
rg4dk

Thumbs down Another with trouble

I am another user with again the same Problem, set up AOL Broadband in an office, successfully have 5 computers surfing the web, but cannot send and recieve POP3 email through outlook or outlook express.

When someone has an answer, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!

Thanks

Ryan
Old 02-April-2004, 20:49
Alnath

AOL isnt POP3 it is IMAP
Old 02-April-2004, 21:06
rg4dk

I am trying to get an external Pop3 email account to work with a corporate email address, not an AOL one. Any thoughts?
Old 02-April-2004, 21:10
Alnath

It wont work mate.
Old 02-April-2004, 21:12
rg4dk

So it is impossible with an AOL broadband connection to send and recieve pop3 email from any program? Why is this? Is there a way around this? If not then bye bye AOL.
Old 03-April-2004, 15:55
Alnath

Because AOL like most ISPs catch all POP3 traffic and the protocol they use is IMAP. AOL have never supported POP3.
Old 28-April-2004, 01:39
Kevin

i did and AOL port 25 is not responding You can us another way of using pop whilst logged to AOL .www.no-ip.com but they do charge for it.
Old 28-April-2004, 11:52
Scrimper

Originally posted by rg4dk
So it is impossible with an AOL broadband connection to send and recieve pop3 email from any program? Why is this? Is there a way around this? If not then bye bye AOL.
I don't know about BB but I send normal non Aol emails via OE6 whilst connected via Aol, I just use the freeware mailserver Argosoft, it works fine using Aol dialup.
Old 28-April-2004, 20:51
The-Geek

Originally posted by Alnath
Because AOL like most ISPs catch all POP3 traffic and the protocol they use is IMAP. AOL have never supported POP3.
Hmm,

The default protocol to send email from mailserver to mail server is SMTP (Port 25).

How you, as a client, connect to the mailserver and download / view your email is however totally different.

If you download and delete your mail from the host mailserver you use POP3 (port 110).

If you view / download your mail from the host server you use IMAP (Port 143).

Using either method you still use SMTP (Port 25) to send email.

Saying that AOL doen't support POP3 is correct - in that their technical support will not tell you how to set-up a POP3 client, however (as seen in many posts on here) it is technically possible to use a POP3 mail client with AOL.

Regarding using your broadband connection to send / receive emails on other accounts (Freeserve, Yahoo.co.uk, BT Openworld etc.)

Ensure that you use the correct SMTP server for that account and that the "My Server Requires Authentication" checkbox is selected on the servers tab (Outlook [Express]).

Originally posted by rg4dk
I am trying to get an external Pop3 email account to work with a corporate email address, not an AOL one. Any thoughts?
Corporate email??

Are you using MS Exchange and Outlook for your corporate email or something else?

It is possible to add "Internet Mail" functionality to Outlook Corporate and download both your Corporate Email and Internet (Freeserve, BT Openworld etc) to the same machine

Regards
Old 29-April-2004, 20:57
Kevin

I HAVE AOL AND USE OUTLOOK WITHOUT ANY BOTHER USING YAHOO POP3 EMAILS

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/c...ontext-36.html
Old 29-April-2004, 21:26
The-Geek

Kevin,

Good link to Yahoo techy info....

Same applies for all other POP accounts.

Regards
Old 02-January-2005, 01:19
Kentikki

Default Re: aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

I have been getting the same error messages with oe and AOL. I had to change my server port numbers to - Outgoing mail (smtp): 587 and incoming mail (imap) should be 143. Had to make imap.uk.aol my default and only account, but so far it seems to work ok. Hope this helps!
Old 28-January-2005, 17:30
timnicebutdim

Thumbs down Re: aol uk blocked smtp port 25?

Originally Posted by Alnath
That may be true but it should make no difference for businesses trying to send and recieve emails - this is because they use their web host for POP3 and aols smtp to send the mail.

The current problem is a smtp problem which is spreading around the net fast, everyone knows there is a problem because everyone is having problems sending mail. I have not been able to send emails using outlook for around 2 weeks now and it really is bad business.

When i signed up for aol broadband i made a specific point about being able to send emails through smtp and i was told that it would not be a problem because aol now had its own smtp servers...

To make mattters worse is that when you try aol support it is really bad on this issue. Twice i contacted live support and twice when i mentioned the smtp problem they said goto keyword imap.. when i told them that i had all ready been there and that my settings were correct , their response was to end the chat session. They just cut me off.

So i phoned them and they said their was no current issues for their email servers and that they couldn't offer me any support other than going to keyword imap.

Obviously they do have serious problems with their smtp servers since everyone on the net is talking about it in forums. And why cut me off in live chat when i ask them if there is a problem with the smtp servers? Can't they say yes or no.. or we dont know or something other than cutting me off?

If they don't fix this problem soon i will be forced to change to another isp and i am sure there will be a large amount of people following me. Not being able to send an email from my website address when i pay 29 per month from broadband while i have friends doing it on old dial up isps, is embaressing.

Its like having a new mobile phone and suddenly you can no longer send text messages.
I do understand there is a problem with spam but messing up their own customers ability to send emails is not the solution.

Now i wish i had listened to people when they said that aol was a bad choice to use as an isp.
Old 28-January-2005, 17:46
Scrimper

Now i wish i had listened to people when they said that aol was a bad choice to use as an isp.
Originally Posted by timnicebutdim
TBH, although it pains me to say so, I am coming to the conclusion that you may well be right, it's ok if you stick with the AOL software and their email but once you start to go 'independent' things start to get difficult!

Whilst I was using the software my new BB was fine but now with a router there are so many awkward settings etc that it is doing my head in, like you I also have a problem with smtp email although until recently it worked fine!
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 29-January-2005, 00:03
stonedtech

i have aol email and yahoo , blueyonder and a few othere address all works find you need to setup outlook or other email tool to work ,,

aol email is imap ,,
blueyonder is pop3 or imap
yahoo is pop3
all running from outlook 6
yahoo and other email places will tell you what port they use most isp now do not use port 25 cos to much spam was going thro it .even if aol has blocked port 25 on there servers it will not interfere with other pop3 servers
Old 29-January-2005, 18:00
Alnath

That may be true but it should make no difference for businesses trying to send and recieve emails - this is because they use their web host for POP3 and aols smtp to send the mail.

The current problem is a smtp problem which is spreading around the net fast, everyone knows there is a problem because everyone is having problems sending mail. I have not been able to send emails using outlook for around 2 weeks now and it really is bad business.

When i signed up for aol broadband i made a specific point about being able to send emails through smtp and i was told that it would not be a problem because aol now had its own smtp servers...

To make mattters worse is that when you try aol support it is really bad on this issue. Twice i contacted live support and twice when i mentioned the smtp problem they said goto keyword imap.. when i told them that i had all ready been there and that my settings were correct , their response was to end the chat session. They just cut me off.

So i phoned them and they said their was no current issues for their email servers and that they couldn't offer me any support other than going to keyword imap.

Obviously they do have serious problems with their smtp servers since everyone on the net is talking about it in forums. And why cut me off in live chat when i ask them if there is a problem with the smtp servers? Can't they say yes or no.. or we dont know or something other than cutting me off?

If they don't fix this problem soon i will be forced to change to another isp and i am sure there will be a large amount of people following me. Not being able to send an email from my website address when i pay 29 per month from broadband while i have friends doing it on old dial up isps, is embaressing.

Its like having a new mobile phone and suddenly you can no longer send text messages.
I do understand there is a problem with spam but messing up their own customers ability to send emails is not the solution.

Originally Posted by timnicebutdim
Like i said elsewhere if you are not happy with AOL, leave. No one forced you to use the ISP and you went in to it with your eyes open, blaiming AOL for the choice you made seems a little lame.
Old 31-January-2005, 02:49
Shadow9684s

try changing to outgoing port 587 like someone mentioned earlier. you can't expect aol to provide technical support for outlook any more than you can expect microsoft to give support linux and at least aol don't charge you to get help on what they do support.
Old 31-January-2005, 17:49
jjreger03

Out going port to 587 works..
You CAN NOT get yahoo mail in your outlook without paying the 19.95 a year anymore! you used to but now they are more greedier.. but I am getting my AOL MAil just fine in outlook, you do need, on the outgoing tab "this requires SSL.. " and just as same as login..

Tags
aol, bad, blocking, broadband, bt, company, connection, email, files, forward, happy, home, imap, internet, isp, mail, make, mobile, network, offer, port, router, settings, sky, smtp, software, trojan, volume, web, windows