Go Back   The Scream! > COMMUNITY FORUMS > Expostulation Plaza

Old 23-July-2008, 20:59

Cool Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Well, mine angi was in April 1993 and my triple bypass was in the November. But times have changed. If I recall I was not given a date (approx) until quite late on. Even then I had to phone up the night before to check that there was a bed etc! And that is still the case with most opps now.

Do come back if you need any further info - oh, since 1993 I'v had two angioplasties andI'm fine (for my age I guess!).
Old 13-August-2008, 23:09
jay08

Default Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

hi people my dad just gone in for a triple heart bypass n before he went to the hospital he was scared n very adgitated n its made me think and iv read throughth these comments n they sound like u people listen n give good advice so get in touch cheers
Old 14-August-2008, 15:00

Thumbs up Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Wish him well. Let us know how he progresses.
Old 15-August-2008, 09:45
jay08

hi cheers for getin bk in touch he went into hospital the wednesday n had the op thursday they told im he had a 40 /60 percent chance of cumin thru n we,ve foned him friday n he sat up in bed drinkin water but just a bit of pain in his chest. thanks for the reply
Old 15-August-2008, 13:19

It's probably his ribs that are hurting as they have to do (what I call) nasty things to them (I skipped reading about that bit except for the basics! )
Old 10-September-2008, 22:52
Jen00

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have just finished reading this thread from start to finish so I just wanted to thank you all. My dad (just 70 yrs and healthy) is having a triple heart bypass on Friday but will be admitted tomorrow lunchtime. I have been terrified and dreading this since we learned of his need of the operation in July. We (my 3 sisters and I) lost our lovely mum 3 years ago and I just couldn't help feel that we would lose my dad as well, however thanks to you all I am feeling so much more positive and although still dreading it, I know it's for the best.

Tankie1rtr - if you still visit this thread, I want to thank you SO much, when I turned the PC on earlier this evening this was just what I was hoping to find (never thought I would though!). My sisters have been reading up on the operation but I didn't/couldn't face it but plucked up the courage tonight and now feel that I may actually sleep tonight! After the relief of knowing that he's made it through the op, I've been so scared of what he'll be like for the first week etc, at least I have a good idea now from people who've experienced it first hand! So thanks to you all, what a lovely friendly site.
Old 11-September-2008, 09:41

I'm glad we could be of some help. Lets us know how it all goes - he will be fine, maybe a little sore and maybe slightly different in temperament (I was short tempered for a while).
Old 11-September-2008, 19:11
Jen00

Thanks for the tip Gem. I only left the hospital an hour ago (been in since 11.14am) as they had no beds available, Dad was happy (for want of a better word) and prepared as he could be. His op is at 8am tomorrow morning and has been told it'll take approx 4 hours. I will be a nervous wreck and so happy when it's all over!

So thanks again, I will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-September-2008, 21:49

Wink Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

I don't want you to read this in the wrong way but this is a very common op, run of the mill sort of. Mine was in 1993 and it was fine (?) then and things have moved on vastly since then.
Just remember, when you see him next, tell him that whatever, from then on, everything gets better. It really does.
Old 12-September-2008, 19:25
Jen00

Thanks Gem. Dad's op went very well and he was in ICU by 12pm. My sister and I visited him at 3pm and he had not long been off the anaesthetic, so he was understandably very, very groggy. He looked so pale and poorly and was in tremendous pain, I thought I would crumble there and then but somehow managed to keep it together. It didn't take him long to 'get' with it and was even trying to crack jokes! At 5pm he was moved to HDU as he is progressing so well and they are extemely happy with him. Provided all goes well tonight, he will be moved back to the ward in the morning. Thanks so much for giving advice, it really has helped to prepare me for Dad's appearance.

At least we're one step closer in his recovery!
Old 13-September-2008, 16:31

Old 13-September-2008, 20:23
worrybucket

Hi,

What a great forum. I just came across it tonight whilst googling triple heart bypas.

My Dad who is 64 is going in for a THB on Monday next week.

He had an angio in May and they found 3 ateries partially blocked and the bottom third of his heart muscle is dead. (this was due to a heart attack at 43)

Im petrified of losing him through this operation and because he has this extra problem with the bit of dead muscle im thinking it may be harder to do.

I think i just need some reassurance please
Old 13-September-2008, 22:36
Jen00

Hi worrybucket, I know EXACTLY how you're feeling as you may have read my Dad only had his triple bypass yesterday morning, I was so scared he wouldn't make it, we lost our lovely mum 3 yrs ago and couldn't face the thought of this operation. My dad's consultant told him that there is a 97-98% success rate and I've read this elsewhere too. I've not slept great this week or eaten that much either but he's doing fantastic! He doesn't look pretty and he's in pain but he's a lot better than he was yesterday and am hoping he'll be better again tomorrow. I called the hospital not long ago (their suggestion) and could hear him in the background and he's doing great. GEM has some good solid advice to give. No point saying don't worry as I know I couldn't stop myself worrying but he will be ok.

I hope this helps.
Old 14-September-2008, 20:40

Hi worrybucket, welcome to The Scream! Sorry that I was not around yesterday.

By now I hope you will have read the posts above.
Don't worry! Yes, oh so easy to say but impossible to implement.
Yes, it IS a serious operation but one with a VERY high success rate - it's an everyday procedure and has been for many years now.
Sure he will be in pain for a (now very) short while but then it will be up all the way. Tell him to do as he is told - don't let him read to much about the procedure and DON'T go to see him immediately after the op until you know he is coming out of IT (where he should be for about one day depending how he does etc).
I've probably repeated lots but hope that you get my drift.
Do let us know how things go - not just immediately after the op but further down the line.
My op was a triple in 1993 and I'm doing fine and enjoying retirement (with a bit of controllable angina).
Old 20-September-2008, 11:46
Jen00

Just thought I'd let you know that Dad was discharged from hospital yesterday afternoon. He has a tickly cough which is making him sore but other than that is recovering well. I'm hoping that now he is home and has his own comforts that he'll heal well. Have to admit that we're all quite anxious and a little bit frightened as well, now there are no nurses or doctors regularly checking him. I know this is to be expected and will 'ride the storm'! I suppose being that it's a weekend as well makes it scary too but he is due to see his GP on Monday and I know help, if needed, is only a phone call away. Can't quite believe how quickly he started to recover, quite amazing!
Old 20-September-2008, 13:10

That's good, thanks for letting us know.

Don't worry (easy isn't it!). I can assure you that they would not have discharged him from hospital if they thought that there would be ANY problems.

It will hurt to cough and tell him not to tense up when he sneezes either (easier said than done) because that can and will make it hurt even more. It's the ribs that hurt for a while.

Remember, is all up now. Things WILL get better.
Old 20-September-2008, 21:03
Jen00

Thanks so much for the advice Gem, it REALLY helps! Knowing you've been there makes such a difference. I will let Dad know tomorrow when I go dad-sitting again - with four daughters to watch over him he'll want for nothing and we're 'sitting' in rotas, I handed over to big sister for night watch this evening! Thanks again.
Old 20-September-2008, 21:14

Wink Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

The key to recovery is not to sit around too as you lose what fitness you had (I lost a lot as after my HA I was told to rest for three months and only do gentle walking), then 9 months later I had the bypass and as it was winter and the cold gets into your ribs etc (watch out for the cold - arteries close up and can bring on angina), I was limited on what I could do, that was in 1993 and thankfully things have changed now.
So, keep warm but mobile. Hopefully the hospital will call him down to the hospital gym to build him up again. It's nothing very strenuous (he will be monitored closely) and can be fun with others of similar 'symptoms'.
Old 20-September-2008, 21:57
Jen00

I think I shall print out your messages and read them to Dad tomorrow, which will give him some comfort - it has me! I shall keep you informed or ask your advice when I panic!
Old 20-September-2008, 23:51
worrybucket

Jen,

Your posts are very encouraging. Dad has to call his hospital on monday morning to see if there is a bed for him to go in and have the op on tues morning. Its such a pain not knowing. We are all on hold, he is agitated and very worried, the wait is ridiculous. We all just want it over and done with now.

Im going to book a hotel round the corner from the hospital as i live 90 mins away, mum will stay there with me as she is about half hours drive away and i thought it would make more sense to be on the hospital doorstep for visiting.

My biggest fear is that there may be some complications as the Doctors told Dad the bottom third of his heart muscle is dead and i think they are going to cut that away.

How will he cope with two thirds of a heart? He is fit and well now apart from the angina, unlike some people who are really suffering before the procedure. Im so worried he will be worse off from the part of the heart being removed, as like i said he only suffers from mild angina at the moment. Wish us luck.I will try to keep you posted but this coming week will be a rollercoaster and busy too.
Old 21-September-2008, 18:38
Jen00

Worrybucket,

It is so frustrating when you don't know if the op is going ahead let alone the emotional strain, we had exactly the same and ended up waiting 5 hours in a corridor (with seats) with 4 others who were waiting too. It was a long afternoon but at the same time we all talked together and knowing the patients and their relatives were all feeling the same as us, kind of helped.

I know only too well how you are feeling right now and I remember saying to my sister that I wish we could be transported to two weeks after Dads op and we're virtually there now. Your Dad will be fine, as GEM kept reminding me, these ops are very common and have 97-98% success rate and I know they wouldn't consider performing the op if they thought it too risky. I have an uncle who has the same problem as Dad (3 arteries almost blocked) and they won't give him the bypass as Dad had but will do it with stents, because he is too risky a case.

Yours and your families fears are very real (like mine were) and I had to deal with it rather than running at very high speed in the opposite direction! - this is the hard part but soon you will be the otherside of the op and will feel relieved. I've struggled as to whether I should write this next bit or not but have decided it would have helped me to know .... I found it a terrible shock to see my Dad with so many tubes in him, drifting in and out of consciousness and telling my sister and I how much he loved us (he doesn't remember this now) and also the vacant look in his eyes and of course the pain but this is very short lived, it is terrifying but it does past quickly and before you know it, he'll be moved from ICU to HDU then to the ward and it just gets better every day. My Dad had problems with his lungs re-inflating but they did eventually and so even though there were a few hiccups, he still improved and still came home and he is improving gradually every day. He will see his GP tomorrow and then we will ALL feel more confident.

Anyway, I am sending you, your Dad and your Mum all of my very best thoughts for a quick op and quick recovery ... you'll soon have him back home. I think it will be much better for you and your Mum to be close to the hospital, good move. Loads of luck, let us know how it goes and if it all feels too much, just remember it doesn't last and try and ride the storm as best you can.
Old 21-September-2008, 21:32

Ah, the ICU. In my day you were advised not to visit while in ICU because, as Jen00 said, you have tubes sticking out of everywhere (including some you might not have seen!) and wired up. The good thing is that you are not in ICU for long, they get you out onto a ward asap.
I forgot, did he have wires sticking out of his chest? When I asked what they were for I was told they were jump leads - so they could kickstart the heart!!!! I knew I shouldn't have asked

Anyway, try not to panic. As has been said, it's now an everyday operation which is highly successful and with very low risks. They would not do it if the benefits did not outweigh any risks and be of considerable benefit to future health and life expectancy. He will be in very good hands at all stages.
Old 21-September-2008, 21:45

Question Re: Triple/quadruple heart bypass advice

Hi Worrybucket

I have just re-read your post, sorry I must have missed a bit of it.
..... My biggest fear is that there may be some complications as the Doctors told Dad the bottom third of his heart muscle is dead and i think they are going to cut that away.
Originally Posted by worrybucket View Post
If it's dead then he has been living without it for some time. Taking that bit away, if that's what they do, will not make any real difference except that if left it MAY have some future impact. I can assure you that they would not cut a bit without good reason. I would have expected the Consultant or Surgeon to explain what and why he was going to do any procedure.

Best wshes to you all.
Old 22-September-2008, 10:41
worrybucket

Thanks for all your support. Dad called this morning (Monday) and he's going in this afternoon for the op tomorrow

The Hospital leaflet says only 2 hours visiting time. My Mother is getting in a flap thionking we shouldnt pay for a Hotel just for 2 hours!! im telling her we should, as i work in A & E in a hospital elsewhere and I pretty much know that is a general visiting time and not for a bypass surgery, especially if hes in ITU i was under the impression you could visit almost any time of the day or night, i may be wrong.

Anyway he is off in this afternoon, and tomorrow is the day weve all been dreading. The only good thing is that by friday he will be out on a ward and over the op. Then it will be recuperating i guess.

I may not be here this week as im travelling to him on weds am, i will try to update tomorrow after the op.

Wish us luck
Old 22-September-2008, 13:23

I have just noted that you work in A&E. Well, my experience was some years ago as regards the bypass so I would not wish to go against your considerable knowledge and experience. Yes, when you are in ITU visiting times are generally open. However I would personally advise against going in within hours of him coming out of surgery. He will have wires, tubes etc coming out of everywhere and he will look a sight. Wait a couple of hours and he will be 'with it' with some things removed. DO consult the hospital as to exactly what will be the best.

You don't need luck as he will be under VERY expert hands. However I do wish you all well and, repeating what I've said earlier, once he comes round he will not feel marvellous! Just tell him that from then on everything is on the up.
Old 23-September-2008, 20:27
worrybucket

Dad is out of theatre. He is back in intensive care. The nurse said to my mum "he is as well as can expected, hes holding his own, but as with all heart ops there are risks" my mum freaked out, i think she thought it was going to be straightforward, and wasnt expecting to hear that.

He is on the ventilator at the moment and will be for a while, the nurse told us to call back again in 3 hrs for an update.

Im sick with worry and i cant be with my mum until tomorrow, she didnt want to have anyone stay with her but ive just spoken to her and shes in tears. I feel so helpless, i feel sick to my stomach with worry , and worst of all im having visions of my Dad on a ventilator, not really here, unconscious. Its really upsetting me so much. I want him back in the land of the living not in this limbo state. The hours seem like days, i just want him to wake up.
Old 25-September-2008, 15:27

Sorry I have not been 'around' for a day or so.

How is your dad now?
Old 25-September-2008, 22:05
worrybucket

Well...

He is 48 hours after the op. I think the thing that really frightened me was the fact they kept him on a ventilator for a couple of hours after the op.

Then he came out of ITU and into a critical care ward, hes now been downgraded to a step down ward. There are 6 guys in his ward who have had varous procedures done and they all look so white and pasty, my Dad has a good red colour on his face.

He is very weak and in tremendous pain, i wanna cry when i see him, but im just relieived he came through the op ok.

They only did two grafts in the end instead of three, and the bit of heart they thought they may have to cut out, was fine too which was a major plus.

He was wired through his chest and had a lot of lines going through his neck, he has a huge dressing down middle of his chest, has oxygen up his nose, but the lines and wired have now come out, today he was moved onto a chair out of his bed. He is a bit breathless, which the Docs say is perfectly normal.

So all in all he is in fairly good shape considering 48hrs ago he had a major heart operation. Although he wouldnt agree with me as he feels like hes been 9 rounds with Mike Tyson!!

Im so relieved he came out ok, now its day by day recuperation, and every day he seems to improve, i just hope he isnt in this much pain for too long.

Thank you all for your support and i will continue to post his progress.

Old 25-September-2008, 22:24

That's good to hear especially about the heart.
His breathing will be a bit laboured as his lungs will have collapsed (normal) while being operated on. They will get him up in the chair as much as possible, the next thing is they will then be on at him to 'pass' more than water. Given that he will not have eaten for a while before his op and probably does not feel like eating much now there will not be much incentive to 'pass' anything other than fluids!
I suspect that it's the ribs that are hurting him - difficult to get comfortable in bed (my bum got so sore! but then I'm delicate, of course! ).

As I said, from now it does get better as you are seeing.
Old 29-September-2008, 19:40
worrybucket

Hello everyone.

Well Dad came out of hospital today, 6 days from start to finish, absolutely incredible really.

He has come on in leaps and bounds as each day has passed. He is still a little short of breath but the Doc said this is because he is unable to fully expand his ribs and lungs due to the stiffness and the op.

He was a little scared about leaving the hospital, i think he thought if anything went wrong they wouldnt be around, im supposing this is a normal feeling.

I feel so much happier now its all over and i just hope he continues to get better and better, and everything will be ok for the future.

Id like to say a big thankyou to you people here, who made everything clearer regarding his operation. It was so comforting to speak to people who understood what i was going through.

I will pop in from time to time. Thanks again

Tags
123, 88066, birthday, cancellation, car, dead, email, forward, free, happiness, happy, health, key, line, lost, make, mobile, offer, online, phone, public, sharing, slow, talk, web