Old 30-December-2013, 13:17
Formerly exstreamuser

Default Do You Freegle or FreeCycle?

Freegle and FreeCycle are sites where, instead of binning goods or trying to eBay them, people offer them free to their local community and in return, hope they can grab back something when they want.

There is bound to be one of these sites for your local area but unlikely to be both.

It's all about web communities: These are usually volunteer-run local email groups and possibly use Yahoo! Groups as a platform. The system works very well but a lot does come down to the area in which you live.

I have used both and in both giving and receiving. The greedy are frowned upon and soon get shunned or ousted. It is all about freely giving and receiving. It can also enable you to meet others in your area that you may not otherwise get to know.

Do you Freegle or FreeCycle?
Old 30-December-2013, 19:09
Trance Addict

Default Re: Do You Freegle or FreeCycle?

I used it once, to give away an old VCR that I no longer had any use for.

Mrs. Behemoth used it to give stuff away from her old flat in London last year and the amount of people that messed her about was amazing. People said they would come to take stuff and then didn't come, then e-mailed to arrange to collect again - in the end half the stuff she had went to the tip.

I used to keep an eye on it in Cornwall as was always looking out for PC bits people didn't want, was looking for some Macs to play with but they always got snapped up pretty darn quick !
Old 30-December-2013, 21:03
Screamager

FreeCycle for me, I have taken and given.

A good exchange day was organised close to me a few years ago, where anyone with anything to give a way was encouraged to bring it to a local supermarket car park. It was just left then for others to take if it was wanted.

The items were checked on the way in just to make sure it was just not junk, and anything left at the end of the day the locals arranged with the council for it to be put in to refuse trucks.

In simple terms it was a car boot sale where everything was free, I got rid of 6 items and come back with 2.
Old 31-December-2013, 01:24
Foxy Lady

Smile Re: Do You Freegle or FreeCycle?

I have also used FreeCycle, taken and given. We got a sofa bed for my stepdaughter when she moved into her flat and we have given things here and there when we have moved house or had a clear out.

That idea of having a day at a supermarket car park for peeps to come and give and/or take away sounds a very good idea Doggy Doo, they could do with something like that where I live.
Old 31-December-2013, 02:01
Formerly exstreamuser

I like the idea of a "good exchange day" too! With my luck though, I would get rid of two things and come back with six more! Just kidding... I did go to a car boot sale once to try and offload a lot of stuff and ended up bring most back after being stuck there from the early hours in the freezing cold. Never again! I gave some stuff away and I even still have some of it. I value it, even if no-one else does.

Behemoth, I guess no-shows may happen more in built-up areas. They happen here too but people are fairly on top of these time-wasters. What on earth causes it? Greed? Is this like the people that bid 99p on everything on sight on eBay and sometimes get lucky? Surely if people genuinely want or need something, they will make the effort to show up and when they say they will. I would think that at least 80% of these people do not deserve a second chance, however the reason it is offered in the first place is so the item is not left causing inconvenience and people may be more yielding simply for that fact.

In general though, the idea seems to work quite well.

Jen, good to hear you too have participated. Could I have hot on a Screamer "thing"? I really do not know the population that my group covers because a lot is rural but I would think maybe 5% of the total? Not a huge percentage and it would be great if it was higher. Keep stuff out of landfill and give it a second life.
Old 31-December-2013, 10:33
Trance Addict

It was the same when we moved into our new house earlier this year, had some stuff we wanted rid of, put it up on a lovcal group and was called to say yes they would collect it all. Nobody came and again I ended up taking it to the tip as I was fed up of tripping over it.
Old 31-December-2013, 12:54
Foxy Lady

I do agree with you andrew, recycling stuff is far better than taking it to the tip. If we can't find anyone who wants ours, we take it to the charity shops, at least that way it does some good, as the money they sell it for goes to the charity... I hate waste! !

We downsized this year and moved from a 3 bedroomed house into a 1 bedroomed teeny tiny bungalow. As you can imagine, we had lots of things to get rid of as there just wasn't the space to keep it.

Unfortunately, we have taken boxes to the charity shops that we shouldn't have done, as they contained some 'keep' stuff... serves ourselves right for trying to get rid of all the rammel too quickly!! So we've ended up not having stuff we kept to use, mainly for the kitchen!! I'm a tad annoyed with myself and upset because among the stuff was my mam's citrus juicer, about the only thing I had left of hers! I just have to console myself with the fact that it will be doing someone some good.

We keep realising things that we though we had and find we haven't, so now have to pay out to buy new! Good job this is our last move!!
Old 31-December-2013, 21:26
Scrimper

I haven't used them but I do think they are a great idea especially being a scrimper myself.
A part dropped from the workbench will roll to a degree of un-reachability proportional to its importance.
Old 01-January-2014, 02:06
Formerly exstreamuser

Well, go for it John!

Jen, I do so relate to all that. If I ever get rid of something, sure as guns I will want it within the following few months. I have always tried to give things away to someone I know though rather than a charity shop. The trouble is that after a relocation a few years ago, I know a lot less people.

For sure I will be moving out of here in a year or two and I have no clue what I will do with all my stuff. I guess a lot may depend on where I end up and that I can continue to procrastinate! LOL

Behemoth, I have to read between the lines and guess you moved to a smaller community and found the same? People are people and maybe a lot is down to the moderators. I dunno. Sometimes I feel the mods in my area are a bit too stiff. I do see this affecting attendance and attitude but it may also cut down on the time-wasters somehow?
Old 01-January-2014, 07:20
Safe Sane Consensual

Have not looked into use of Freegle or FreeCycle as we have charity shops in our village selling a wide range of goods and who accept donations.

On outstanding area of recycling achievement is a second hand book stall run by our local Lions charity. It provides funds for organisations or individuals in need. It also provides a better source of newish books than the local library!

I just worry a little about the security aspects of services such as these. Could relative strangers to your property be exploring what you were offering plus what they might collect when your were absent from the house. Might they also gather personal data that could eventually be used for identity theft?

Old 01-January-2014, 16:07
Foxy Lady

I just worry a little about the security aspects of services such as these. Could relative strangers to your property be exploring what you were offering plus what they might collect when your were absent from the house. Might they also gather personal data that could eventually be used for identity theft?
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
I get what you're saying here Worldlife but sometimes you just have to have a little faith... not everyone is out to rob you, steal your identity, or any other nasty thing you can think of... there are some very nice, genuine peeps out there too.
Old 01-January-2014, 16:55
Formerly exstreamuser

Yes, 95% of the people online are just fine. This compares to 98% in real life.

One can handle things however they wish. I will advertise with a general location. I could be any of a few hundred. I need not meet someone if I choose not to. For example, an item can be left in a safe place. I have met people in a library car park, not that I did not trust them, it was just a convenient place due to both of us being on the move. You could opt to deliver. There are many ways to keep a little more distance and privacy.

Think about it. How many people could walk past your house and scout it out? Have you got your name on the doorbell? Throw out letters with your name on it? Use your full name on an email address? Only use a single email address? Every single one is an opportunity for the criminally minded and most of the time nothing happens. Something could though, so we take some steps to make us feel more comfortable.

Remember, this is something that is being disposed of and there really is no direct relationship between this and you keeping 1M in a wall-safe.

If looking to security, these are email groups and your email address can be revealed. This is probably the highest concern. Option: use a throwaway address.

I can walk down a street - heck I do not really need to as now I can drive down one with Google - and tell a whole lot about the people that live there. Cars are a giveaway. Do you hide your car so nobody can tell you live on a shoestring or have money to burn? I could probably tell a whole lot about you just by seeing you in passing. Do you stop going out?

There was a story recently about a guy that was mugged for his phone and when presented with the guy's older Windows smartphone, the mugger turned around and said, "What the f*** is this?" and handed it back. Obviously he chose the wrong mark but mostly it is easy to tell, especially if they are plugged-in to the latest iPhone or Samsung whatever. Do these people hide their phones or choose not to buy one just in case?

Nah, you are much safer with FreeCycle or Freegle. Groups are all private and one has to apply to join. It is up to an experienced human being whether they allow you or not. Every single post is moderated. Nothing ever gets to the group without being vetted by a human. Accidentally include too much personal info, your address, your phone number and the message is rejected and a reason given. It never goes to the group or email.

It should be quite possible for you to stay within your comfort zone.

Charity shops are great but there are also those that cannot afford their prices. The charity gains but your poor neighbour could lose. Give it a thought.
Old 01-January-2014, 23:10
Safe Sane Consensual

Thanks to all trying to ease my worries. Another New Year Resolution then - "focus on the nice people and the bad ones will be a minority"
Old 03-January-2014, 00:09
Foxy Lady

Thanks to all trying to ease my worries. Another New Year Resolution then - "focus on the nice people and the bad ones will be a minority"
Originally Posted by Worldlife View Post
Good advice there... Also, surround yourself with nice people, they are much more conducive to good health and well being.
Old 03-January-2014, 00:35
Formerly exstreamuser

That is true too.

I know some things are easier said than done. I have found myself walking through the middle of town and and figuring how many people I pass. Two out of every hundred have done something criminal in their lives. I must pass thousands and yet I am still here.

I see kids out after dark and know it is essentially safe and yet I do tend to avoid certain areas in the dark when alone. I care not one bit if I have any form of human company, whether it be a 5 year old or black belt in karate. Not everything is as easy or as black and white as it may seem. Everyone is different too and really that makes life less boring. We do what we can do.

Tags
bad, car, company, email, google, health, line, make, offer, online, phone, security, shop, sofa, web, windows, zone