Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Tesco ADSL Broadband

Old 27-June-2005, 22:58
O-Ren

Default Tesco advise me to cancel, then threaten legal action!

Eight months after applying for Tesco broadband they are threatening me with legal action for money they admit I do not owe!

This is despite cancelling my application on their advice after they are unable to say if they can provide me with any service.

31/10/04
I apply for Tesco broadband, setting up a direct debit and providing debit card details.

22/11/04
tesco.net send me an email stating:
BT has still not been able to confirm when they are planning to install additional broadband capacity.

We'll continue to progress with your application and we will contact you within the another 7 days with further information from BT, however, you may feel the delay is too long and that you'd like to cancel your Tesco broadband application. If you choose to cancel your application at this stage you won't be charged a cancellation fee.

You can cancel your application by sending an email to cancellations@tesco.net.
As I was led to believe that I would only have to wait up to ten days I decide to cancel the application and try another broadband provider.
I phone 0845 650 8000 several times over several hours, but the line is always engaged.
I send several emails to cancellations@tesco.net (as per their email) to cancel my application, all of which are returned as undeliverable!
I then send an email to support@tesco.net to cancel my application.

Over the next few days I continue to phone Tesco to cancel but am unable to speak to anyone.
I even try phoning Tesco head office - I was asked for my details and was assured someone would phone me back. The call was not returned.

25/11/04
As I have been unable to cancel my account by email or telephone I cancel my direct debit and ask my bank to cancel my debit card. I send Tesco.net a letter (by recorded mail) to cancel, as per their terms and conditions, which state:
You can inform us that you wish to cancel this agreement at any time by writing to us at:
Tesco
Online House
The Avenue
Cleppa Park
Coedkernew
Newport
NP10 8UG

- If you cancel your order before your activation date has been given there will be no cancellation charge.
I continue to phone tesco.net customer services to confirm my application has been cancelled, but each time I either can’t get through, or am told conflicting information.

At this point I try to get broadband with virgin.net. I enter my phone number and postcode and get the following message:
“You’re able to receive Virgin.net Broadband, but it looks like you already have a broadband service on your line.”
Tesco did not cancelled the application, but went ahead and activated an account.

06/12/04 Monday 6.50pm
I spoke to T.... from the London call centre who says the account has not been cancelled but that he would do it now.

19/12/04 Sunday 5.35pm
I speak to G.... from the South Wales call centre, who tells me the account was activated on 13/12/04, he says that it is impossible to cancel by telephone, "Tesco ignore letters", and that "only senior management can cancel an account".

19/12/04 Sunday 7.18pm
I speak to Mohibur (London) who says "I can cancel your account, but you will be charged £70."

20/12/04
I receive the following email from Tesco.net:
Thank you for the e-mail regarding canceling your account.

Due to the Data Protection Act I am unable to cancel your account without confirmation of your security word (normally your mothers maiden name),
unfortunately I cannot accept this via email.

Please call our help line on 0845 650 8000 (local rate), they will be able to cancel your account for you.
20/12/04 Monday 6.59pm
I speak to Pamela (Glasgow) who tells me, "I have cancelled your account, but will take two weeks.

Unsatisfied I phone again at 7.04pm and speak to Sam in the Glasgow call centre who tells me she has cancelled the account (pending disconnection) and that it doesn’t take 2 weeks.

Still unsatisfied I phone again at 7.20pm and speak to John (Glasgow call centre) who says that it is pending disconnection and should be done tomorrow.
I tell him that every one I speak to says something different, to which he replys:
Yeah I know, no one knows what’s going on with broadband these days, we where told to leave well alone.
A few days later the account was finally closed and I was able to get broadband with virgin.net.

Five months later I get a letter from Tesco demanding money! (24/05/05)
Re Outstanding Arrears £20.62
While I am aware that your Tesco.net service has now been disconnected, it has however been brought to our attention that there is an outstanding amount of £20.62 on your Tesco internet access ADSL Service.
27/05/05
I call Tesco customer services andspeak to Tom (Crew call centre), and explained the situation. After looking into what he calls “this mess of an account” he says that I should never have been charged and that:
All amounts should be refunded. In the meantime disregard any letters.
When I asked why the account was ever set up as I cancelled in writing before I was given an activation date, he said:
Tesco don’t accept cancelations in writing.
I went on to ask him how such a monumental cock-up could have occurred he answered:
Well, you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
26/06/05 I receive the following letter from Tesco:

Re Outstanding Arrears £20.62
It is with regret that we notice our previous letters have, to date, remained unanswered and we are still unable to action your with to finalise your Tesco internet access ADSL account.

Unfortunately we now have no other choice but to notify you that we hereby give notice that unless payment of the outstanding arrears is received within the next 7 days, we will have no alternative but to pass your account to our legal department.

Last edited by silver; 30-June-2005 at 13:31.
Old 30-June-2005, 13:25

Default Re: Tesco advise me to cancel, then threaten legal action!

wow - it sounds like they've had lessons from tiscali customer service

geez - it's amazing how these companies get customers when they can't even sort out simple things,.

Apparenlty some of NTLs / tescos people have read your post and ask that you call them - I'll email you also

Let us know how it goes as bad publicity is really the only way to get action it seems

Sil
Old 30-June-2005, 13:30

PS, I'll remove the extention numbers in your post for now at least
Old 01-July-2005, 19:11
O-Ren

I understand why you have removed the names, but it doesn’t matter as I have posted that post on several other forums and between them it has amassed an impressive number of views and comments.

I’ve been trying to speak to G…. the “Product Support Engineer” all last night and today, but despite numerous phone calls and messages (I even left my mobile number for him), it seems he isn’t really interested in speaking to me, it looks like he just wanted his details removed.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I think that the lesson to be learnt here is that as soon as you get problems (with any company) make detailed notes of what is happening.
When we start to make people accountable, they might start doing a better job.
Old 01-July-2005, 19:16

yeah - G asked that we remove the details and we have (in good faith) but really it sounds like they don't actually want to help at all?

let us know how it goes and if you manage to get any sense from ntl / tesco,.

the other way is to ignore the letters and wait for a court date - then see what happens,. it doesn't look like they have much of a case against you,. (but seek professional legal advice!)

makes you wonder whether recording conversations with companies like tesco/ntl would be a good idea

Sil
Old 02-July-2005, 11:43
speedtouchguru

makes you wonder whether recording conversations with companies like tesco/ntl would be a good idea
Originally Posted by silver
Of course you would then have to inform the agent that he was being recorded and give him the opportunity to record the call as well. If you then refused the agent would have the right to terminate the call.

My suggestion would be to put the whole complaint into writing and send it in to the address quoted on the letter. I would imagine that it could all be straightened out following a quick check of the records.
Old 02-July-2005, 14:26
O-Ren

Of course you would then have to inform the agent that he was being recorded and give him the opportunity to record the call as well. If you then refused the agent would have the right to terminate the call.
Originally Posted by speedtouchguru
At the beginning of each call you are informed that your call maybe monitored (recorded), so you have to assume they are recording everything that is said. This of course is only of benefit to them and not you.

My suggestion would be to put the whole complaint into writing and send it in to the address quoted on the letter.
Done that, it's seems (and I have been told) that tesco do not respond the letters.

I would imagine that it could all be straightened out following a quick check of the records.
Yes, one would think so.
Old 10-July-2006, 18:27
suerose53

I've got similar problems with Tiscali threatening me with legal action for money I don't owe.

Tiscali staff refuse to give their surnames, so it is difficult to prove that a telephone conversation took place. You never get to speak to the same person twice, and you get conflicting information each time you ring.

My advice to anyone considering Tiscali Broadband is ****DON'T DO IT****
Old 10-July-2006, 18:39
VTech_Nullified

I've got similar problems with Tiscali threatening me with legal action for money I don't owe.

Tiscali staff refuse to give their surnames, so it is difficult to prove that a telephone conversation took place. You never get to speak to the same person twice, and you get conflicting information each time you ring.

My advice to anyone considering Tiscali Broadband is ****DON'T DO IT****
Originally Posted by suerose53
To be honest, I refuse to give my surname on calls also, HOWEVER, if a customer does wish to make a complaint/appraisel then I give my extension number, as they are unique identifiers to the agent. HOWEVER they do not have to give these either.

I will point out that if however you do know the times and dates these took place every call I do belive is traceable.

The whole incident with your cancellation was obviously a cockup however a quick call and a talk to a supervisor in a calm manner will sort this out.

They may ask for a copy of telephone bills so they can see that you have actually called to cancel. Other than that you should have no problems.
Old 11-July-2006, 09:00
Turboz

These BB providers will stop at nothing eh?

My mother used Tesco also and had similar problems. Eventually she told them to stick it and they tried to pursue her through the legal channels but I beleive they failed when she moved address

Tesco suck. I would never recommend them to anyone. I tried to use their dial-up a few months back and that was hell too.

Tesco are not a reliable ISP. They aer a big company who have forgotten that the little people keep them in business.

With regards to Tesco not accepting cancellations in writing that is bull. If you ring them or email them they will then say they cannot take instructions over the phone no doubt too. All in all Tesco can be very ruthless.

I wouldn't trust bulldog much either - Had some problems with them last year and a public wifi zone which was operating on one of their 2MB lines.
Old 11-July-2006, 12:18
Zer02004

Tesco are not an ISP, they are a VISP. VISPs should always be avoided.
Old 11-July-2006, 12:52
Turboz

Yes I know however my point remains the same. Their company policies suck.

-T
Old 31-July-2006, 14:50
pulse1976

I successfully cancelled my Tesco account by email (although the first one was sent back saying that the server removed attachments) and by recored letter. I got a prompt reply back by both email and letter, and on the day my connection was termainte I got an email from Tesco saying it had been terminated!

No problem there.
Old 28-August-2006, 22:43
sly

Exclamation Re: Tesco advise me to cancel, then threaten legal action!

All I can say to that is when accepting an agreement with any company/person one should always read the terms and conditions
highlight the issues that concern you and quoat them if needs be
you will discover however that in the terms and conditions of most BB contracts the provider is unlikly to be accountable
this is the risk you take
Old 28-August-2006, 22:52
Zer02004

As I've said in the past, any provided service must conform to UK consumer and other statutes. Terms and conditions and FUPs etc are secondary to this.
From experience, I can tell you that many providers will buckle when faced with a serious legal challenge.

I sense a change is on the horizon where the whole sordid affair of ISP contracts are concerned.
Old 11-September-2006, 21:26
Donkey Oaty

I thought I was having a bad time with Tesco !.

I am waiting until my contract is up ( another 3 months, I count the days to the Great Escape ! ) and will go over to a ADSL provider that can get issues fixed without jumping through hoops.

I cant advise anyone on what service they should use, but my experience of Tesco and there lack of support ( ie they dont know what they are talking about ! ) means I an outta here.

If I had £70 I would pay it tomorrow to get my Tesco account cancelled and sign up with someone who dont sell Bread and Butter ( even there bread is stale most of the time, hence why I shop at Sainsburys )
Old 12-December-2006, 04:57
xres

Firstly you should run your own checks before singing up to a BB company so you can check availability in your area. Secondly putting up information such as names and extension numbers within a buisiness is just vandalism! Some people could use such information in abusive and dangerous ways.
Grow up!
Old 21-February-2007, 21:36
TechTechy

I can assure you all that as much as Tesco.net threaten, they will NEVER take you to court for your arrears. Believe me, i know, and i know G.... personally.
Old 22-February-2007, 16:19
tescotom

I thought I was having a bad time with Tesco !.

I am waiting until my contract is up ( another 3 months, I count the days to the Great Escape ! ) and will go over to a ADSL provider that can get issues fixed without jumping through hoops.

I cant advise anyone on what service they should use, but my experience of Tesco and there lack of support ( ie they dont know what they are talking about ! ) means I an outta here.

If I had £70 I would pay it tomorrow to get my Tesco account cancelled and sign up with someone who dont sell Bread and Butter ( even there bread is stale most of the time, hence why I shop at Sainsburys )
Originally Posted by Donkey Oaty View Post

tesco wont take to court,scrap the bill after 6/7 months
Old 22-February-2007, 17:37
Safe Sane Consensual

Just read the hassle that is being caused by the terrible customer services of the broadband division of this organisation.

That being said I have nothing but praise for Tesco Finance and Credit Card Services who took prompt action to stop debits being taken by Think All publishing - a software scam.

I have found that when you are stonewalled like this it sometimes helps to write a letter to the Company Secretary at the registered head office of the Company concerned. In this case on could stress how far short the Broadband services are in reaching the customer service standards of other parts of the Tesco organisation (where you may be a happy customer?)

At the end of the day the Company Secretary is responsible for ensuring the organisation meets its legal responsibilities and is the person on whom you might issue a counter claim for damages.
Old 22-February-2007, 18:10
TechTechy

tescotom, you are NOT 2nd line support.
Old 05-February-2010, 15:28
kez31

We were with tesco broadband for years. Had the usual problems with connection bottoming out etc but put up with it.
Decided to change ISP due to price drops and gettin a better deal with o2. Mac code worked ok the second time so rang tesco to cancel internet last September then rang my bank to make sure payments were stopped. The bank said it was not direct debit but Tesco take card payments as they like and they were unable to stop the payments, so I rang tesco internet back to double check the date of last payment and be sure they would stop. I was assured this would be the case.
The long and the short of it is... four months down the line, using o2 broadband which is FAB and tesco are still taking unauthorised payments from my account and denying that I ever cancelled. Also denying having received the copy of my phone bill they requested with proof of my cancellation call even though I sent it recorded delivery and it arrived on the 19th Jan.
Still waiting to see if my second cancellation in January has worked, though I wont hold my breath as I'm sure they will deny this one too.
Also bear in mind that if you cancel and they have 'no record of it', if you stop payments they will try to charge you in excess of £40 for a missed payment!!

AVOID tesco internet at all cost unless you like entering in to lifetime contracts!!
Old 07-March-2011, 15:59
traceygail

I have just posted a comment re tesco bundles and from what I have learnt record record record. When you ring them or they ring you record the call for reference. I do it automatically as have memory issue but it has been a life saver as I can prove their staff lie even at times. They listened and confirmed who had told me the information and then said what I was told was untrue, but in the inference that it was not their fault at the same time

You can use a mobile with feature record sound held to head peice or as I do use true call device. You see imagine this I am telling them they are telling me they have direct debit issue, they say this more than once. Then when complaining about how this has impacted me with poor treatment from billing side, they retract it and blame me and the bank.

Even though I have all the evidence they still are pompous enough to say it was my fault!!!!!!!

I will take them to higher authority that they will have to listen to

Tags
adsl, bad, broadband, bt, cancellation, company, connection, credit, delay, email, happy, internet, isp, line, make, mobile, phone, public, scam, security, shop, software, speed, tesco, tiscali, tiscali broadband, virgin, zone