Go Back   The Scream! > ISP FORUMS > Broadband Internet Access

Old 03-November-2011, 15:17
NeXus_Drummer

Default Slow downloading - High speeds?

I know my speeds aren't of overly high rates but they've always been enough to let me load videos/download/stream. Only after having a new SKY HD box installed has loading and streaming become a problem. There are filters on everything and I've done tests on http://speedtester.bt.com/ and speedtest.net and pingtest.net My results were:

speedtester.bt: Download speedachieved during the test was - 4015 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7114 Kbps

speedtest.net: Ping: 44ms
Download 4.20mbps
Upload: 0.31mbps

pingtest.net: Packet loss: 0%
Ping: 38ms
Jitter: 4ms
Line quality/Grade: A

I'm no real expert or anything when it comes to this sort of thing but surely I'm right in thnking that's more than acceptable to have? I try using SKY Player on my Xbox and that has always been fine for streaming live and on demand shows. Now suddenly it decides to buffer every few seconds/minutes making things unwatchable. Even when my speeds are at (on average) 6.57mbps it still buffers constantly and this is even after peak internet times at gone 1am.
I can't work out what the problem may be only that it's this new box but that can't be unplugged due to people watching tv on it. Am I just stuck with waiting for things to load around 2-3 minutes worth of video in around 20-30 minutes, or is there something I could do to sort this out? The things connected to the line are my router, telephone and these two SKY boxes. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 05-November-2011, 21:21
Screamager

Default Re: Slow downloading - High speeds?

I know my speeds aren't of overly high rates but they've always been enough to let me load videos/download/stream. Only after having a new SKY HD box installed has loading and streaming become a problem. There are filters on everything and I've done tests on http://speedtester.bt.com/ and speedtest.net and pingtest.net My results were:

speedtester.bt: Download speedachieved during the test was - 4015 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 7114 Kbps

speedtest.net: Ping: 44ms
Download 4.20mbps
Upload: 0.31mbps

pingtest.net: Packet loss: 0%
Ping: 38ms
Jitter: 4ms
Line quality/Grade: A

I'm no real expert or anything when it comes to this sort of thing but surely I'm right in thnking that's more than acceptable to have? I try using SKY Player on my Xbox and that has always been fine for streaming live and on demand shows. Now suddenly it decides to buffer every few seconds/minutes making things unwatchable. Even when my speeds are at (on average) 6.57mbps it still buffers constantly and this is even after peak internet times at gone 1am.
I can't work out what the problem may be only that it's this new box but that can't be unplugged due to people watching tv on it. Am I just stuck with waiting for things to load around 2-3 minutes worth of video in around 20-30 minutes, or is there something I could do to sort this out? The things connected to the line are my router, telephone and these two SKY boxes. Any help will be appreciated.
Originally Posted by NeXus_Drummer View Post
Sounds as you are on sky connect upto 8mbit, (Bt.resold) ip stream or data stream, and this is well known that it is very poor as sky will not buy enough bandwidth (backhaul ) from bt wholesale, & if this is the reason it most likely will never improve ,due to the costs involved ,

Does sky not have a llu presence in your exchange? see

SamKnows, broadband availability checker
put the required details in the checker and it will show you what is available to you, if sky have no llu then see which if any provider does have ,Beware as far as TalkTalk are concerned as their telephone support is really bad

Last edited by tommy t; 05-November-2011 at 21:26.

Tags
bad, broadband, bt, connection, internet, line, player, rates, router, sky, slow, speeds, speedtester, talk, talktalk, xbox